[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laptop for my father

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

My father is going into retirement in a few weeks. He has used ThinkPads from his workplace for the past 10-15 years. Buying one second hand seems the most logical idea, but he's the guy who would never buy something second hand.

What's my next best budget option? Just go to a mall and pick the cheapest laptop with an SSD and a core i3 or core i5?
>>
Buy a ThinkPad online?
>>
Just buy him a refurbished x220 and say it's new
>>
>>58587106
Buying ThinkPads brand new is a horrible price-to-performance ratio.
>>
Dude, get a Dell
>>
>>58587066
You can find new 50 series thinkpads(T550, T450 etc) online for like 400-600 euros, depending on the configuration, but it will still be better than equivalent price craptop from a store
>>
Buy him the thinkpad 13 it's been the best laptop
>>
>>58589015
>new 50 series thinkpads(T550, T450 etc) online for like 400-600 euros
link plz or it is not true
>>
>>58590090
Well depends in which shithole you live in, after a quick search in my local site, I've found T450 new unpacked for 600, didn't even look at specs, but if you're not anal about used good, they go from like 450 euros to ,of course retarded, 1200+
Several months ago I bought a T550 for 550 euros, FHD, i5, 250gb SSD, 8GB RAM, backlit keyboard(though german or danish layout(I'm not german or danish)), condition seemed 10/10, at worst 9/10, battery lasts forever when I'm watching movies, browsing internet etc at half brightness, literally shows more than 12hours
>>
>>58590189
Also forgot to add, I've seen new unpacked those series b4, now I only found one, of course the stock is highly limited when buying eye to eye from private people
avoid **40 series like plague, look into T450, T550, X250, X1 Carbon(they have the same name for different generations)
If your father would change his mind, or you would "trick" your father into believing it's new (although usually without any documents and packaging) it would be very easy to find a laptop
>>
>>58587066
Buy him a Mac. Don't put him through the misery of dealing with Windows 10 and it's updates in his twilight years. Unless your dad is savvy enough to use Linux, or you set him up on Linux.

If you were forced to drive 10 year old Kia every day for work, would you then buy a Kia when you retire? No, you spend a little extra and enjoy your life.
>>
>>58590189
>posts no link, so its not true
thanks dumbass
>>
>>58590533
Faggot, what good would be a link to you from Easter Europe, learn to search and find what you need
http://www.skelbiu.lt/skelbimai/lenovo-thinkpad-t450-naujas-neispakuotas-21621168.html
knock yourself out retard
>>
>>58590323
Yes, because after using Windows since 1990, he obviously wants to learn a whole new OS from scratch.
>>
>>58590571
>what good would be a link to you from Easter Europe
Lithuania sadly is part of the EU, and therefore takes part in the free movement of good, but thats obviously beyond your state of knowledge you stupid bastard
>>
>>58591095
Good luck communicating with the seller asking him to ship his goods somewhere, not saying it's not doable, but when I found only 1 listing at the moment, the chances are slim, if you manage I'm happy for you
>>
>>58591095
>being baltic and not the best baltic
>>
visited a colleague at an ibm research lab
ten years ago you'd only see thinkpads
now there were significant numbers of macbook pros
so you can teach an old dog new tricks

get your dad a macbook
>>
>>58591205
>>being baltic and not the best baltic
obviously meant this anon >58590571
>>
>>58591553
I hope you mean Estonia and not Latvia as best Baltic, and even that is arguable
>>
>>58591689
Seen from the EU mainland there are no differences visible
>>
If you love your dad just buy him a Mac
>>
>>58588321
Yeaaaah... No.
>>
>>58592277
Just like seen from the USA perspective, all other countries are irrelevant
I guess it all depends on the education you get in school
>>
>>58592322
Dell XPS is pretty solid, but won't be in OPs price bracket probly
>>
>>58592328
Seems to be true more or less
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.