[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are you still meant to defrag once a week?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: defrag_working.gif (9KB, 594x326px) Image search: [Google]
defrag_working.gif
9KB, 594x326px
are you still meant to defrag once a week?
>>
Not for an ssd
>>
i havent defragged a disk since like 2004
>>
>>58583101
If you're on a decent botnet they'll handle it for you
>>
>>58583101
i think defragging once a week would probably reduce the life of a mechanical drive by a great deal.
>>
Recent Windows versions will do it for you automatically. Manual defrag will just be a waste of time.
>>
I've used to defrag everytime I installed a big game, It gave me peace of mind, even If it was just placebo
>>
>>58583156
Not really, I've auto defrag on startup and I've not had a single driver issue in a decade, using 4 hard drives.

>2TB SG 2016 (3398 hours)
>2TB SG 2014 (10053 hours)
>500GB Hitachi 2010 (26760 hours)
>200GB Maxtor 2007 (exceeded counter limit)

The newest one is encrypted and I don't load it often so it's not affected much but the others are always defragged on startup.
Currently having 0% fragmentation on all 4 drives.
>>
>>58583385
>driver
Minus r* and the program I use is o&o pro by the way. I recommend it.
>>
>>58583101
Yup every month getting ssd is worth it
Defrag is so fast
>>
>>58583101
I never defragged one of my HDDs.
>>
Defragging makes the files easier to find, and therefore less needle-scratch.

t. one who is still using the $3500 10mb hard disk since 1987
>>
>>58583101
Why not use diskeeper? It manages write operations so it's like live defragging
>>
>Using rotating storage in 2017
Why would you do this?
>>
>>58583385

> defragging AT STARTUP EVERY TIME

total autism
>>
>>58583101
Can we just kill the shitty filesystems that need to be defragged?
>>
>>58583101
Install gentoo
>>
>>58585751

You must be retarded. There is no zero cost way to do that. You must keep track of things to do that and that's a cost in time.

Even SSDs fragment but most retards don't know that.
>>
>>58585751
Every filesystem can become fragmented. When the spaces aren't big enough anymore for bigger files.
>>
Definitely not for an ext4 SSD
>>
>>58585871

Both ext4 is fragmented and SSD is fragmented. It's just that ext4 has a mechanism of action that makes it less serious of a problem and SSD has a mechanism of action that makes it less of a problem.

The memes that there are 0 fragmentations on ext or SSD have to die.
>>
>>58585915

Fragmentation doesn't affect an SSD at all so who cares?
>>
>>58586021

It does. Look it up. It's just a meme that it doesn't.

Only truth in it is that it affects it less.
>>
>>58586073
>>58586021
and that the cons outweigh the pros.
Substantially more writes for a negligible performance increase you know.
>>
>>58583101
>defrag
just pajeet OS things.
>>
windows since vista does it automatically for you while the system is idle and SSDs are excluded because they don't need it
>>
>>58585771
SSDs literally try to "fragment" the data as much as possible so that a large file is sharded across multiple NAND chips to make it possible to access the data in parallel to increase sequential read performance.
>>
>>58583101
I don't usually defrag. Is defragging ''ungluing'' files and folders so I can delete them?
>>
>>58587210
*''unglueing''
>>
>>58585735
Best idea with platter drives actually
>>
>>58587210
No, it's your computer putting a jigsaw puzzle together inside your hard drive
>>
>>58586993
Who da semen demon tho
>>
File: 1478404382281.jpg (33KB, 535x462px) Image search: [Google]
1478404382281.jpg
33KB, 535x462px
>Drive's contents changed: restarting...
>>
>>58583101
only if you use a shit OS
>>
>>58583101
My SSDs work fast enough without defragging, and I don't write data often enough on my HDDs for them to be affected. If they are greatly fragmented, they are usually already so old that I'm replacing them; and copying the data to a new blank drive acts as defragmenting it.

>>58583135
>Not for an ssd

Only because it "wastes" write cycles. But, truth is that your SSD will improve speeds greatly after defragging (specifically, by defragmenting free space, not data), since then it will have more fully empty sectors to write to, instead of needing to read partial data off from partially full cells and rewriting the whole thing.

But the main reason I don't ever defrag anymore is because the windows Shadow Copy works on a sector map level. If you defrag, it will delete shadow copies and you can't roll back to older versions of files. As rare as I use that, it's still exceedingly useful.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.