[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do FSF distros look like shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1445.jpg (158KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1445.jpg
158KB, 1024x768px
So I'm planning to go full libretard on my x200 this weekend, but I still haven't decided which FSF-endorsed distro to pick.

You see, with the FSF having a refined and somewhat mature DE called GNOME 3, why in hell do all the FSF endorsed distros have outdated and clunky DEs?

Isn't any FSF distro there that has GNOME 3 out of the box? Does GNOME3 comply with the FSF specifications or not?

I was inclined to use Parabola and configure it my way (using antergos now) until I felt that AUR could be a vulnerability source.
I'm thinking of slapping in fedora with linux libre, because that's what I have in my convenience machine.

What the fuck is wrong with the fsf distros? They dont always have to run in a toaster, they can use better DEs
>>
They don't use GNOME 3 out of the box because GNOME 3 sucks.
If you want GNOME 3, you can install it easily.
>>
>>58580800
I think Parabola comes with GNOME OOTB. If not:
pacman -S gnome-desktop
>>
>>58580800
I don't see what's so bad about that DE, it looks better than Ubuntu's (I always found it rather bland, though maybe that's just due to growing up on Windows), the only problem seems to be that your resolution is ridiculously low.
>>
>>58581044
Is the only onI fiund with decent workspace management, and focused on app shortcut.

They dont provide any other similar option anyway.

Why does it suck tho?
>>
>>58581106

Parabola comes with no DE last time I checked.
How damaging can an AUR package get?
>>
>>58580800
>So I'm planning to go full libretard
>Incapable of installing a DE

Choose one
>>
>>58580800
Why do you need to install Libreboot? We have ME Cleaner out now, so you can use newer hardware and still disable the Intel botnet.

ShitHub link: https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner

I used it on Lenovo T400 (C2D) and T420 (i5) Thinkpads and a MBP 2011 (i5). They all boot Xubuntu just fine. The Mac had to be power cycled several times but now boots fine. They all run Xubuntu and two are dual booting OS X Sierra.
>>
>>58580800
>GNOME 3
>refined
>>
>>58581148
AUR isn't a necessity, just a bonus. I generally only install non-essential programs from AUR. The kind she of programs that won't having me tearing my hair out if an update breaks it like fortune or cowsay.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.