[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 39

File: oash linugs.png (33KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
oash linugs.png
33KB, 420x420px
Previous: >>58569871

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: >>>/t/749768
Part I: http://archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
>>>/t/713097

/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: >>>/wg/6785580
Part II: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/
>>
First for Slackware
>>
>>58579245 (me)
>>
Second for NixOS
>>
Neither GNU nor Linux, but
> Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

How can we ever know these search engines respect our privacy? With something like a free-software messaging app like signal one could check the source and see what it's sending; or even check if the key you use is actually your friend's public key and not your servers'. But with a search engine you have to send it what you want to search, and simply by visiting the website they can figure out a lot about you, such as whether you use certain plugins, your IP if not on VPN, if not faking one they can read the browser agent, etc. and track it all.
>>
>>58579277
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
>>
>>58579277
distro?
>>
>>58579304
Yes.
>>
>>58579322

Yes
>>
>>58579248
Slackware is pretty comfy, that's why I love it.
>>
>>58579302
>How can we ever know these search engines respect our privacy?
Because you can see your browsers cookies?

>>58579322
Ubuntu. Any distro where Steam just werks?
>>
>>58579349
Hello, I'm noob just like you. I heard that Ubuntu is the beginner & neophyte friendly Linux to use, with good support for modern hardware.
>>
File: 1483880062679.png (307KB, 712x479px) Image search: [Google]
1483880062679.png
307KB, 712x479px
>>58579332
>>58579368
You are very bored and lonely troll
>>
>>58579349
No idea, the steam-native package combined with some others seems to just werk for me on Arch, but if it runs on arch it should definitely work on Ubuntu.

Have you checked the answers to this question? http://askubuntu.com/questions/463754/how-to-make-ttf-mscorefonts-installer-package-download-fonts-after-it-says-it-i
the first answer might help you
>>
>>58579277
remove package and reinstall
>>
>>58579293
>allows reliable system upgrades
Why is this a selling point for a Linux distribution? Does Linux still have the same problems it did back in 2001 when I tried Debian and ended up using FreeBSD? Genuinely wondering, I didn't seem to have any problems when I was messing around with Funtoo in bhyve, but I admit I haven't tried for long enough.

>>58579302
The truth is you can't know what any site does with your data. There's completely passive fingerprinting via IP block and userstring tracking can be enough to identify you, and while you can guard against them, it involves tor and a user-agent-switcher (which switches your user-agent for every visit with enough entropy that it can't be fingerprinted), all of which requires you to know all of that, which most people don't and never will.
>>
>>58579384
h e h
e
h
>>
>>58579349
You can still get a lot of info without cookies. If Google stopped using cookies completely it would still be bad from a privacy perspective.
>>
Has anyone here ever tried helping the GNU project? I'd like to help but don't really know how. They have this page with how to help but it doesn't really give the info you need.
On github I'd just fork, fix, pull-request. No issues for me? look at the issue tracker. Everything easily accessible. But savannah is a bitch to navigate and things like how to make a pull request aren't really clear.
>>
>put tff-mscorefonts-installer_3.6_all.deb in downloads folder
>Install .deb manually by command line
>No such file or directory found
What folder do I need this package in for my computer to recognize it exists. Steam Ubuntu guy.
>>
>>58579560
Are you trolling?
>>
>>58579570
The Ubuntu help form said that there is a bug with the Ubuntu version of the mss-corefont package, and a manual install of the debian package would fix the error.

Is this like install a patch on a pirated game in windows? that's what it feels like.
>>
>>58579349

Guess what, NixOS. But it downloads .debs under the hood, I have no idea why it wouldn't work in Ubuntu.

>>58579460

I think it's better than back in 2001. I kind of love FreeBSD as an idea. Absolute FreeBSD by Michael W. Lucas is one of my favorite books. Not just tech books but in general. It's about how a system is engineered not grown, about meritocracy and reliability and all. A bit like The Mysterious Island or something. The tech Utopia. The wireless drivers though...
>>
What are you all using for system backups, /g/? I liked rsync and Clonezilla
>>
Another question from the Ubuntu anon. Is there a program for voice control of linux? My googling only revealed a terminal based voice commander from 2004. I want a free open source program that works like cortana, or siri, or Ok google.
>>
>>58579666

rsnapshot
>>
www.xubuntu.org uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate expired on 23. November 2016 14.00. The current time is 21. janury 2017 klo 1.35.

>>
>>58579641
There's a school of philosophy that goes something like this: Software is more important than hardware, so you select your hardware in such a fashion that the software you want can run on it. It dates back to at least the 70s and UNIXs inception, and is probably older even than than that.

>>58579666
ZFS snapshots to LTO5 tapes that are stored off-site and a seperate backup via SpiderOak on an unlimited account.

>>58579737
Fucking kek.
>>
>>58579626
Something like this should work:

sudo dpkg -i /path/to/package.deb

If it's already installed you could do

sudo dpkg -r packagename
>>
>>58579697
There are a few under development but nothing really easy to use as far as I'm aware.
>>
Anyone know if it would be possible to export my settings and torrent info from a Windows installation of qbittorrent to one on GNU/Linux? Don't want to go through the process of having to do it manually by adding them and rechecking.
>>
I want to listen to certain books for which there are no audibooks available.

I already have a working command. Is there a simple way to make the festival voice command sound less robotic and more natural and pleasant?

echo "$(cat test.txt)" | festival --tts
>>
>>58579769

I agree, but I'm not sure the operating system is that important. I don't backup /bin, I backup /home and /etc. I want my environment. As long as an OS can run it I don't care what it is. I think that in that school of philosophy the OS would be something between the software and the hardware. I can install an OS in something like 15 minutes, it's my dotfiles, ssh keys and a list of packages (configured so that they cooperate) what matters.
>>
>>58580085
See, that's just completely nuts to me. My OS and its configuration is as important as my data - and that's where root on zpool with snapshots and beadm is nice for these reasons:
1) Let's say I upgrade FreeBSD and it fails spectacularily, leaving me with a system that's completely unbootable? Revert to the snapshot I took just before upgrading, and my system files will be back in the working state they were in, whereas my user files (both personal in my home directory and elsewhere; such as my media library and collections of rare stuff) are completely untouched either by the upgrade or the snapshot.
2) Now let's imagine lightning strikes and fucking destroyes my server completely so that it's incapable of even POSTing or powering on (something a UPS won't protect against)? I grab my tapes and use them to restore up to the last week, then grab the remaining data from Spideroak and I'll have lost up to an hours work, no more.
3) If my house burns down from the lightning strike? I restore up to the nearest month and grab the rest from SpiderOak.

My data is safe.
>>
File: manjaro.png (25KB, 694x290px) Image search: [Google]
manjaro.png
25KB, 694x290px
should I go with Manjaro, Elementary OS or Ubuntu, having in mind I want to learn more about gnu/linux?
Could Manjaro possibly help me approach Arch later on?
Which is more free as in freedom and less bloated?

thanks
>>
>>58580394
they all aim to make the experience as easy as possible. if you worry about free software use debian instead of ubuntu.
>>
>>58580316

So are mine. I can rollback to several previous states.

If my laptop burns, I ask the helpdesk for a new one, grab my org file from github, tangle it (which places all the configuration files in the right places), run nixos-rebuild --switch and the packages get installed, I then checkout my work stuff from repos and restore personal stuff with rsnapshot.

If it's a server, I install OS with xcat, install the environment with Puppet and restore the data with bareos.

Backup policy has nothing to do with OS.

HW and OS are just something to host your environment and your data. HW, OS, configuration and data are more or less independent, and you can have different ways to backup and restore them and make them cooperate.
>>
>>58580561
I don't think you understand how ZFS snapshots work. They're atomic and filesystem-wide, I can revert to any snapshot I want ever since I installed FreeBSD on top of ZFS.
>>
How do I give Oracle VM access to physical disk? This just wants to creat virtual disk
>>
File: 1484849335549.png (23KB, 602x499px) Image search: [Google]
1484849335549.png
23KB, 602x499px
>>58579248
>>
>>58580534
use ubuntu based distros, than try to install arch(you will fail first time) than go back on ubuntu based distro and use it some more, than try to install arch (this time it will boot but you will break it while installing proprietary nvidia drivers ) go and use ubuntu based os , than install antergos and say to friends that you are arch haxoor and send them screenfetch pngs (ofc edited ASCII that it shows arch logo)
>>
>>58580394
use ubuntu based distros, than try to install arch(you will fail first time) than go back on ubuntu based distro and use it some more, than try to install arch (this time it will boot but you will break it while installing proprietary nvidia drivers ) go and use ubuntu based os , than install antergos and say to friends that you are arch haxoor and send them screenfetch pngs (ofc edited ASCII that it shows arch logo)
>>
File: 1445111836695.png (620KB, 626x1070px) Image search: [Google]
1445111836695.png
620KB, 626x1070px
>>58579234
I just got a Kabby Lake XPS 13.

It has Windows 10 Home.
Coming from Windows 7 I have no fucking idea what is going on.

Does anyone else have an XPS and if so, what distro are you running?
>>
>>58579931
Why are you using echo in that context? Is something wrong with piping cat into festival directly? Unrelated to your question, no idea about the robot voice.
>>
I don't understand arch. if you are going to go full autist with configuration why not use gentoo?
>>
>>58580858
Probably the package managers, if I had to guess. What's autistic about either distro? Arch really doesn't take very long to install once you get the hang of it.
>>
>>58580810
actually I managed to install arch today in virtualbox, first tries I couldn't install grub, then when I reeboted it went straight back into installation instead of booting in the already installed directory

today I did it all right but couldn't manage to configure network kek
was pretty satisfed for the day with the installation, tomorrow I will try again :^)
>>
Can I just use VM to open up the image and then install it "properly" as if were bootable USB /CD
>>
>>58580906
Yes. Be sure to include the iso as a secondary drive so that the VM can boot it for the sake of installing.
>>
>>58580919
>include the iso as a secondary drive
What do you mean? I should have the image mounted in the Windows too?
>>
Guys I think I'm switching to Linux, is bunsenlabs good for a beginner?
>>
File: Capture.png (27KB, 651x428px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
27KB, 651x428px
>>58580948
No. There's a configuration option in whatever virtualization software that you use that allows you to include the iso as part of the VM. I'll attach a VirtualBox screenshot, but the picture won't be relevant if you use other software, obviously.
>>
>>58580981
Click the CD icon on the right and navigate to where your ISO is saved.
>>
File: work.jpg (44KB, 661x342px) Image search: [Google]
work.jpg
44KB, 661x342px
>>58581000
And now I just boot up the image in VM and click the install image at desktop?
>>
>>58581041
Yep, that's it.

Don't worry about it warning you about potential data loss; the VM can't wipe anything that isn't part of the virtual hard drive you create for it.
>>
>>58581100
>the VM can't wipe anything that isn't part of the virtual hard drive you create for it.
Ah, so I can't do it properly? I don't want it to be on VHD or dual boot shenanigans
>>
>>58581122
You can't do it improperly. It won't wipe windows. It'll install in the VM's attached storage and you don't run any risk of wiping data.
>>
>>58581159
I don't want to save any of Windows. I want to delet it
>>
File: 187.jpg (12KB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
187.jpg
12KB, 480x358px
>>58581193
>delet
I think you're baiting me, but I'll bite, given that this is allegedly a friendly thread. If you want to wipe Windows and only boot that OS, you have to boot to the installation media from the BIOS, either via CD or USB. Any virtualized installation you do will be restricted the the virtual machine, leaving your hard disk intact.
>>
>>58581242
fucking shit
>>
>tfw u have mad neet skillz
>>
>>58581596
>look guiez i a neat!!
>>
File: HnzPJ1M.gif (439KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
HnzPJ1M.gif
439KB, 800x800px
>>58579234
gondolas
>>
>>58580394
If you want to learn Arch, use Antergos. It's closer to being Arch than Manjaro.
>>
>>58581668
would like to but my shit is 32bits
>>
>>58582571
eat more fiber
or if you recently moved to a high elevation, it could be altitude sickness. in which case, stay hydrated
>>
>>58582654
thanks for the vital advice

god bless my friend
>>
File: 1481417203036.jpg (26KB, 294x426px) Image search: [Google]
1481417203036.jpg
26KB, 294x426px
Rec me a file manager that has thumbnail support /fglt/.
>>
>>58582737
>using firefox
>>
>>58582737
dolphin or thunar
>>
>>58582737
>file manager
But most have them? zip with with first image as thumbnail fucking where?
>>
>>58582798
most filemanagers support cbz thumbnails
>>
>>58582831
Thunar doesn't. I should eventually leave it. I mean, I like how fast it is, but crashing when moving or renaming files, not having built in search, and missing more filetype thumbnails should be enough to warrant a switch. I could try dolphin again, but I would need to install a fuckload of packages just to use it.
>>
>>58582901
spacefm maybe.
or just use a decent DE which has a decent file manager like dolphin.
>>
File: 1484726987526.png (289KB, 336x492px) Image search: [Google]
1484726987526.png
289KB, 336x492px
>nvidia 970m was running quite slow, slower than my previous computers 755gtm
>nvidia 782 added to xenail graphics ppa
>update driver and bumblebee.conf
>games now running almost 40% faster
pretty fucking happy right now senpai
>>
File: lynda.jpg (47KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
lynda.jpg
47KB, 368x368px
Does lynda.com have a download limit? I was thinking about paying for a month to download a bunch of linux courses.
>>
I just downloaded and installed arch via architect and apparently that shit doesn't work anymore. Is there anything other than arch anywhere that is analogous?
>>
Anyone knows at what framerate GTK3 applications run? I'm using a dual monitor setup (one 60Hz, another 144Hz). If I scroll in GTK2 (e.g. thunar, leafpad), it's super smooth. But if I scroll in GTK3 (e.g. pcmanfm, l3afpad), it's 60Hz-like choppy.

Currently using XFCE with compositing disabled, because I think there's an X11 bug or limitation which causes X11 to run at the lower refresh rate of two monitors if compositing is enabled. Hell, I don't even know if there's a bug report yet.
>>
Can i sudo apt install on arch
>>
>>58583512
no but you can emerge =sys-os/arch-20170101
>>
>>58583445
install gentoo
>>
>>58583544
install gentoo
>>
>>58583565
already using gentoo :^)
>>
If my router doesn't have a firewall turned on, I was told by the cable guy that by default all ports are open and if not I have my port forwarded, my machine doesn't even have iptables installed, and I'm apparently connectable in my bittorrent client, how come perfect dark is refusing to connect?
>>
>>58583601
y-you too!
>>
>>58583601
reinstall gentoo
>>
>>58583601
Install gentoo in a VM in gentoo.
>>
Are there any known issues with Debian or WINE or Debian's specific configuration of WINE that prevent applications from using opened ports? If I change distro will things work differently?
>>
>a coin toss game, where two bettors wage a predetermined amount of bitcoin on the flip of a coin

can this be done via bash scripting, or do i need to actually learn how to program?
>>
>>58583867
if (( $RANDOM < 16384 )); then echo Heads; else echo Tails; fi
>>
>>58583819
keep in mind ports below 1024 are privileged on most systems (only root can use them)
ports above 1024 should be bindable by applications running in wine as other users
>>
>>58583932
why 16384?
>>
>>58584230
because "$RANDOM" contains a random number between 0 and 32767
>>
>>58584243
gangster
>>
File: IMG_20170121_082811.jpg (231KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170121_082811.jpg
231KB, 1280x720px
Help, my cursor can't move.
I put the mouse sensitivity all the way down (because I like that) but did't realize that doing this would render my mouse useless
Opening the settings menu for mouse and using tab and arrows to try to correct it doesn't help.
>>
File: 1457304074147.png (256KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
1457304074147.png
256KB, 480x600px
>>58584436
>set mouse speed to 0
>surprised when it no longer moves
>>
>>58584458
But I would except a minimum of 1
>>
>>58584458
A slider goes from a minimum to a maximum, not from 0 to infinity. Making a slider with a mimium of 0 is the only stupid thing here.
>>
>>58584476
I always put it to 0 so I don't get tempted to use my mouse.
>>
>>58579234
Arch reporting in. I was on Gentoo, but it's a pain in the dick getting my Ethernet adapter working with Gentoo, so I went back to Arch.
>>
>>58579248
How is Slack holding up these days? I was going to check it out, but I kind of got turned off when I seen their website looks exactly like it did back in 2001 when I used to use Slack.
>>
>>58579277
Have you tried to install Gentoo?
>>
>>58584476
Got into tty console and found out its -1.0
What the fuck
>>
>>58580669
It's literally the first result for 'virtualbox rawdisk' + '<os>'

>>58580887
>x is easy once you get used to x
Good Job!

>>58583932
Bounded numbers are not random. Gonna need to use hotbits from https://www.fourmilab.ch/hotbits/
>>
>>58584535
Maybe you should just open a terminal, set the values manually and test them there.
Then when you know the correct settings, try to use the tool again to see if it works.
Then report the bug.
>>
Debian SId, cannot startx: "Addscreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0"
Cannot install nodm: Failed to start Display manager for automatic session logins.
>>
>>58584598
Yeah I didn't realize I had dconf
It's all fixed now
>>
>>58579349
manjaro comes with steam in some flavors i think
>>
>>58584668
Do you really need dconf to set mouse speed in gnome?
Wouldn't it be easier to just use xinput?
>>
>>58584724
what even is xinput
>>
Tried installing Debian rc1 testing last night, I'm getting see crap about the CD-ROM when I apt update, what the fuck is up with that?
>>
>>58584769
cat /etc/apt/sources.list and post output
>>
>>58582571

You can still get a 32-bit version of the installation media here:

https://antergos.com/blog/iso-refresh-2016-06-18/
>>
>>58583445

Try Antergos?
>>
Is it possible to mount a folder which is located on another computer that an be only accessed via openssh?
>>
I'm honestly wanting to use Unity now. The launcher is everything I want and it has compiz built in.

The problem is that I don't want to use Ubuntu anymore. As great as it is for beginners, I want the convenience of being able to download practically any, and always up to date software via AUR.

Lets hope the unity-for-arch git works.
>>
>>58584989
Iktf
I thought I would give Gnome 3 a try but the memory usage is ridiculous compared to Unity. So fuck it.
Honestly I have no complaints after using Unity for about a year, it does the job and does it fast.
>>
>>58584955
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-sshfs-to-mount-remote-file-systems-over-ssh

You could probably have used your favourite search engine to find this, my friend.
>>
>>58585021
I never use search engines because they track my activity.
>>
>>58584955

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSHFS
>>
>>58584989

Enjoy your problems because Unity requires some modified versions of packages not in Arch's repository and you'll have to install it from the AUR which will conflict with the versions in the official repository.

>always up to date software via AUR.
Do you even know what the AUR is? Do you know how Arch works? Because judging from that stupid stereotype sentence I don't think you do.
>>
>>58580394
Install Arch. Arch will at least give you a better understanding of how the linux architecture works. Just booting a live operating system and using a graphical installer will not help you learn. Watch a video or read an article on how to install Arch.
>>
>>58585070

>Arch will at least give you a better understanding of how the linux architecture works.
No, it won't. Everything you can do on Arch can be done on other distributions. If someone wants to learn about the "Linux architecture", he should look at Linux's source or read books about kernel development.

Kill yourself.
>>
I just updated my Manjaro build and suddenly my mouse button remaps and acceleration via xinput and xset just stopped working.

The settings have been sitting in my .xinitrc for a few years now, working perfectly.

Did something change?
>>
>>58585078
What he means is that he'll learn to operate linux, and learn what components make up the OS. That's a very good reason to install arch.
>>
>>58585064
>Unity requires some modified versions of packages not in Arch's repository and you'll have to install it from the AUR
????

What are you even trying to say?
>>
What's wrong with Pulse Audio/ the PA Controller? It just werks when I use it to balance out my channels.
>>
>>58585197

No, you don't learn more about which components make up "Linux" by installing or using Arch. You can achieve the same thing with other distributions. Other distributions have minimal installers as well.
Don't stop killing yourself.

>>58585205

That to install Unity on Arch, you will have to replace some packages from the official repositories with custom ones which might mess things up.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/unity
>>
>>58584989
Just use Ubuntu, arch won't make life easy to install unity
>>58585013
>>
>want to install linux native programs
>websites always only supplies these executables
>Ubuntu and Mint will always downright refuse to install them. Haven't tried other distros yet
>research solutions, but no results
>a youtube video did the exact same thing on the same ubuntu distro downloads it and it WorkedOnHisMachine™
>find their github https://github.com/brandleesee/ePSXe64Ubuntu with a line for terminal to use and updated 3 days ago. Can't fuck this up
>404s on the download

What the hell is wrong with my computer?
>>
>>58585379
right click, properties, allow it to execute from one of the tabs in the window that comes up
>>
>>58585423
How the fuck did that work? That's retarded it isn't default settings. Thank you
>>
trying to troubleshoot an issue with git, i'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction

On my desktop, running "git diff" just outputs the results to stdout. This is how I would expect it to work. On an alpine linux docker image that I am developing on, however, "git diff" seems to open the results in some sort of editor that I don't recognise. This is causing me some problems. Anyone know how I might be able to change this behaviour?

cheers
>>
>>58584909
# 

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux stretch-DI-rc1 _Stretch_ - Official Snapshot amd64 xfce-CD Binary-1 20170113-10:18]/ stretch main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux stretch-DI-rc1 _Stretch_ - Official Snapshot amd64 xfce-CD Binary-1 20170113-10:18]/ stretch main

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main
>>
>>58585435
linux was never meant to be a graphical system I guess
you're welcome bby
>>
>>58585435
Safety, probably. Don't want retards like you just executing shit that blows up their computers. You're the kind of retard that would probably run stuxnet without checking what it was.
>>
>>58584909
>>58585465
I commented out the deb cdrom line and it updates like I would expect now. But why is that the default behaviour? Should I report this as a bug because I don't think it worked this way in the alpha?
>>
>>58585485
>being this triggered when your meme OS is criticized
why dont you get some self-confidence therapy books anon?
>>
>>58585456
>t

Took me 5 seconds to find a solution or possible cause on my search engine of choice. Search keyword hints: default diff viewer linux.
>>
>>58585379

Install RetroArch and use libretro mednafen or pcsx-rearmed.
>>
>>58585534
I did try RetroArch with the mednafen core, but the obtuse thing only crashes whenever I attempt to load up a cue file. My guess is the bios, but I can't find where i'm supposed to put it.
>>
>>58585193
Adding to this, my usual icon theme has completely stopped working too.
It's replaced my the default gnome icons.
>>
>>58585586
Arch changed to using libinput instead of evdev by default I think
>>
>>58585600
so I just need to change back?
>>
>>58585606
Archdevs don't want you to have choice so they'll probably fuck you up if you do that. I'd recommend using a different distro or taking it up the ass and switching your configs to libinput
>>
>>58585586

Search the forums and stop using Infinality.
>>
>>58585624

All it takes to use the old evdev driver is one line in an Xorg config. Libinput is the future and its X driver has some options the evdev one doesn't.

Kill yourself for spreading misinformation and memes. You're embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>58585672
I'm fairly certain I've purged infinality from my system, but my icons are still fucked.
>>
>>58585680
>All it takes to use the old evdev driver is one line in an Xorg config
What line is that?
I'd like to go back.
>>
>>58585707

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xorg#Input_devices
>>
>>58585680
Yes, for now. Until they suddenly deprecate evdev and you wonder why your inputs don't work one morning
>>
So I'm running Debian and trying to add Btrfs volumes to fstab and no matter what I do it causes Debian to fail to boot. How do I do this?
>>
>>58585737

Who deprecates evdev? Arch doesn't develop the evdev X drivers. They don't develop X. Those drivers being deprecated would affect every distribution (and it has, because there's no reason not to go with libinput if it does everything you want).

You have no idea what you're talking about, you just want to appear smart by bashing things you've seen others bash. Stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>58585765

>not posting your fstab and other information
Yes, everyone here is a clairvoyant person and can see your fstab with their mind-power alone.
>>
>>58585772
Well I was hoping someone would just link a guide or tell me what to do. I've tried using UUIDs, /dev/sd*, etc.

#UUID=23424de5-d1dd-4a15-a9af-b870747a8bb1 /media/Storage\ 0    btrfs    defaults,compress=zlib    0    0
#/dev/sdb1 /media/Storage\ 0 btrfs defaults,compress=zlib 0 0
>>
xinput set-int-prop "Kensington Kensington Slimblade Trackball" "Evdev Wheel Emulation" 8 1
xinput set-int-prop "Kensington Kensington Slimblade Trackball" "Evdev Wheel Emulation Button" 8 8
xinput set-int-prop "Kensington Kensington Slimblade Trackball" "Evdev Wheel Emulation Axes" 8 6, 7, 4, 5

Can some kind soul translate this into libinput, please?
I just want my trackball to work. Again.
>>
>>58585795
>/media/Storage\
>\
wat, why?
>>
>>58585823
To read the space as part of the file name
>>
>>58585834
Oh fuck I'm tried. Have you tried booting without --quiet to see what the error is?
>>
File: 1450685096015.jpg (83KB, 560x682px) Image search: [Google]
1450685096015.jpg
83KB, 560x682px
Does the HDD need to be mounted to see it's health with smartctl?
>>
>>58585854
Nope.
>>
>>58585810

>use xinput to list your device properties and options which libinput offers
>use xinput to do exactly that

I don't know why you're using the full name, when you can just use the ID number.
>>
>>58585852
I figured it out, I was using the wrong UUID (still doesn't exlain why /dev/sdb1 didn't work though)
I was using PARTUUID when UUID was the correct one.
/dev/sdb1: UUID="6fd98a75-64d9-4134-a9ce-fc73bf329f06" UUID_SUB="b6a226d5-fe0b-4c8e-80f3-746e8f689514" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="23424de5-d1dd-4a15-a9af-b870747a8bb1"
>>
>>58585553
Disregard my retardation, I found the setting
>>
File: 1484961812143.png (329KB, 1460x870px) Image search: [Google]
1484961812143.png
329KB, 1460x870px
How to get rounded corners like pic related. I'm using i3 on top of XFCE with compton if that makes a difference.
>>
>>58585913

That's your window manager's job and I don't think i3 can draw rounded corners.
>>
>>58585913
Install GNOME and get a job.
>>
Printing on GNU/Linux...
Does
lpr -o raw -p foo bar.pdf
provide better speed?
Or bypass postscript conversion with printers?
>>
what is the most retard simple way to run a shell script as root, the full script is literally
"sudo automount -f"

is there a command to include the pass inside the command? i dont care about security, this is some stupid vm that im too lazy to lock down
>>
I have an impossible problem in android.
I created a directory and chmoded it to 0777, all ok.
Then i mounted a network share to it and it magically became 0770 and chmod no longer does anything, it pretends to work, but it actually has no effect
Any ideas? I am desperate
>>
>>58585970
in /etc/sudoers
youre_user  ALL=NOPASSWD: /path/to/your/script[/code
or you could use:
%wheel  ALL=(ALL)       ALL
>>
>>58586032
>sudoers
I dunno, that sounds like some cult which worships the god Root
>>
File: 1484395167188.jpg (20KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
1484395167188.jpg
20KB, 326x326px
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDMo9DyACXG62ak5cVgs3TA

All these landwhale SJW speakers
>>
>>58586083
https://youtu.be/URmfKyIT898?t=27m21s
>women can't handle the banter
>>
>>58585379
Open a terminal.
cd ~/Documents/PS1 (case sensitive, squiggle/tilde stands for your home)
sudo chmod +x epsxe_x64
./epsxe_x64

Hope that works.
>>
Why the fuck do the partitions I create with fdisk never match in size? Its not even real hard drives its logical ones from a virtual machine. I count the cylinders do my math ignore the extra that do not divide into 15 evenly. Then I crate 15 partitions with exactly 139 cylinders each. And somehow two of the fucking partitions have about 143 more blocks then the other 13.

Why is this fucked I am trying to make disks for an oracle disk management thing for a database and it wants them to match.
>>
>>58585456
git config --global diff.tool tkdiff
git config --global merge.tool tkdiff
git config --global --add difftool.prompt false
"The first two lines will set the difftool and mergetool to tkdiff- change that according to your preferences. The third line disables the annoying prompt so whenever you hit git difftool it will automatically launch the difftool."

>>58585472
Well fuck, now my answer is redundant. It has nothing to do with being destined to be a graphical system or not. It simply doesn't allow for files to execute by default. This is a sane thing to do. Windows does the opposite. That's why you can have someone download a .jpg, rename it to .hta and execute it.
>>
>>58586241

Alright the number of blocks isn't evenly divisible by the number of cylinders how does this work? Think if I get the partitions as close as I can oracle wont tell me to go fuck myself when I try to get it to manage the partitions.
>>
>>58585913
You fork i3’s master branch.
>>
>>58586490

Can I change the cylinder #? I just got a message from this thing saying 2088 cylinders is more then 1024 which might cause problems on boot disks which none of these are.

This is a centos 5 btw.
>>
Q: what is the libreoffice calc command line alternative?
>>
>>58579921
Have a bump. I'll add that I'd like to do this going from transmission-gtk to deluge or rtorrent. It's all gotta be stored as text in a file somewhere. Surely it's movable.
>>
>>58585379
Don't use Ubuntu. That OS is awful. It's great for people just starting off I guess, but once you learn the basics you should just drop that pile of crud and pick something up like Slackware, Gentoo, Arch, etc. Slackware and Debian are a breeze to install with guided installers like Ubuntu and doesn't suck nearly as hard. Arch is a very easy command line install that will familiarize yourself with how Linux really works.
>>
>>58586946

Dont listen to this man he is not your friend. Ignore slackware and arch. You can get debian or fedora if you want.
>>
>>58585941
Anyone?
>>
>>58585070
>nstall Arch. Arch will at least give you a better understanding of how the linux architecture works. Just booting a live operating system and using a graphical installer will not help you learn. Watch a video or read an article on how to install Arch.
I couldn't agree with you more. People should use https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/arch-linux-efi-install-guide/ and just install Arch and get off Ubuntu and Mint. I know they have these pretty graphical installers and they're easy to get up and running, but that is doing people an injustice because the rest of Linux isn't that guided. It's about knowing to execute commands, and what commands to execute. You never really learn Linux by using those easy mode guided distros.

The above guide really lays out how to install Arch, and it's my go to install guide. It's laid out so well that if you struggle to install it then you're probably just a retard who should stick to Windows anyways.
>>
>Ubuntu suddenly said it has some file system problems
>run fsck as suggested
>finally get back original setup
>it is painfully slow, like 800% slower than it was
>acquire a bootable usb
>start to reinstall.
>on the second step of reinstall it gets stuck,
>cursor still moving, can still click on quit, but gives no indication of working aside from the cursor`s transformation
>it didn't even ask for the keyboard setting yet

Do you think I got some hardware problem? Memtest cokes back negative.
>>
>>58586974
I've never used Fedora, but Debian is a better starter for newbies at any rate than Ufailu and Mint
>>
>>58587065
Did you try to completely wipe out your partitions? Boot up a live CD like SystemRescueCd (Google it, install it on a thumb drive) run something like parted when you get in it or you can launch the graphical interface and run GParted if you are more comfortable with that. Wipe out ALL of the partitions on your Ubuntu drive. Then boot back into your Ubuntu USB drive and try to reinstall it.

Only thing I can think of as to why it would freeze. If your mouse is still movable it's a soft freeze and it's likely not hardware related.
>>
>>58587087
Oh right, I haven't tried to wipe partitions with GParted yet, and I got a win 8 installed as well for the times I want to use an USB modem, but that doesn't want to start eithereither.

I'll go wipe it all, and see how things debelop
>>
>>58580394
Those are all terrible choices, but if I had to pick, Ubuntu. It's a derivative like the rest, but it's the least meme.

Also, you should give Arch Anywhere / Architect a shot if you were considering Arch. They're installers but you still get regular Arch instead of a filthy modified distro like you do with Manjaro/Antergos.
>>
>>58580858
Arch isn't actually complicated or full autist in the slightest. Some salty anons had a bad experience or were scared off the install and then started all these rumors. It's basically just an alternative to Debian with a better package manager and a few things to make the user's life easier, such as the AUR.
>>
who is fedora 25 here?

i'm trying to turn it into a decent software development workstation vm. pretty slick oob desu
>>
>>58582737
fuck off papicunt
>>
>>58583445
what was the issue?
>>
>>58583512
it's
sudo pacman -S
instead
>>
>>58585494
That's because you used the CD install instead of the net install.
>>
>>58586713
sc
>>
>>58587143
keep defending your broken timesink distro
>>
Should I use bash or zsh??? I'm not sure.
>>
>>58587441
Use bash if there is a chance you'll use other computers besides your own, since bash is avaiable like everywhere while zsh isn't.
>>
Should I use screen or tmux??? I'm not sure.
>>
Should I use x or wayland??? I'm not sure.
>>
>>58587441
>>58587483
>>58587497
Welcome to freedom, a place for own decisions.
>>
>>58587087
>>58587133
Well that seems to have done it. Thanks friendo.
>>
>>58587343
It would error out of any updates and wouldn't download any new programs through pacman. Sucks because in the past it's been flawless but apparently the whole project is dead
>>
>>58587552
That's odd. My brother used my Architect flashdrive on a computer less than a month ago.
>>
why is my vim using 4 spaces for autoindentation (e.g. after conditionals) in python files?

I've set up tabstop, shiftwidth and softtabstop to 2, and I've got expandtab and smartindent on.

Is it smartindent following PEP8 guidelines?
>>
>>58587552
If it installed fine then the rest shouldn't be an issue with Architect. It's just installing regular Arch.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
this is what most people refer to as 'Linux'
>>
>>58587596
delet this
>>
>>58587596
cos it is
>>
Hello friends,
I'm using 3g usb modem, huawei for my laptop.
I have arch installed on it.
My problem is that after x minutes i just get disconnected from internet, like i clicked on disconnect so i need to reconnect.
That disconnecting happens when im not using internet for x minutes(this it is after 5 minutes but im not sure) .

>im using 3g usb modem because every month i get free sim with unlimited bandwidth, pls no flame. Found way to scam my telekom
>>
>>58587736
Driver issues.
Try setting static DHCP.
>>
>>58587756
i had same problem with wifi but i fixed it by turning of something called power managment i think, dont know how to fix it for modem
>>
>>58587736
share scam method, i might be able to pull it off here too
what are you using to connect? netctl?
>>
>>58587756
>static DHCP
The hell is that supposed to be?
>>
How does Spotify work on linux? I'm using the Windows app + EZblocker and I'd like to have more or less the same stuff working if I switch to linux. I guess I could use wine in a worst-case scenario, but maybe there are more elegant solutions
>>
>>58580812
Semen demon, identify yourself!
>>
>>58587497
Try either. I would not go out of my way to use either unless you just want to do it for fun. Drivers are a limitation.

>>58587483
For most applications, you want to use a tiling wm instead. Unless you're SSHing. Then it's definitely a valid choice.

>>58587441
zsh, definitely.

>>58587462
zsh is basically bash on steroids though. I don't see how using zsh would impede your ability to use bash.
>>
>>58587834
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>58587834
>spotify
nonfree pig disgusting
listen to your own music in flac like a real man
>>
>>58587574
I had this happen once before using an outdated version of architect and the problem was fixed with an installation of the newest version. I just assumed the issue was in pacman being out of date but then it wouldn't update for me giving me an error. But you're right it should have installed everything from the newest version of arch.
>>
>>58587868
*linux
>>
>>58587847
Is there a good and easy framework to use for zsh instead of creating my own config painfully over weeks and months?
>>
>>58587847
I feel that zsh is too bloated. It adds lots of stuff a shell shouldn't do like playing tetris, etc. As a long term bash user, I see that many people switch to zsh for inane reasons like, a colored ps1, extend globbing, etc, which all is available with bash too, but not enabled by default to keep it lightweight.
zsh can be useful for newcomers, because of its autocompletition, but that's it. I guess the reason why zsh is so popular is because os x comes with a very old version of bash and instead of updating their shit, macfags installed zsh and created blogs about how amazing it is - and new loonix users searching for a colored ps1 followed their advise.
>>
Does anyone know why urxvt might be rendering my fonts with red, green and blue shades when I tilt my laptop screen up? What setting should I change in .Xresources and /etc/fonts?
>>
>>58587938
top kek
>>
>>58587980
i guess it's a licensing issue with OS X
>>
File: SS_049.png (31KB, 1519x1061px) Image search: [Google]
SS_049.png
31KB, 1519x1061px
>>58587792
You can use it only if you are in Serbia, operator VIP, they offer one month testing period for their network, for "new users". You get free unlimited minutes, sms and bandwidth.
I have been doing this for 6 months now, free calls, free sms, free internet.

Connecting simply as to any wifi, i installed modem-manager so i can send sms too, that is all. When i connect modem first it is loaded as flash drive until it connects to network
>>
>>58587938
what's the point man, you need to know what your shell does, so set up your configs yourself
>>
>>58587847
What does zsh bring to the table?
>>
>>58588061
Starbucks coffee
>>
Why does umatrix only show some of the scripts/XHR/frames and only shows more after you enabled a few and refresh the page? I want umatrix to show everything the first time.
>>
>>58588061
zsh provides auto completetion for flags on commands and colouring on output the only useful thing i have seen it been used for was colouring git output
>>
Installing gentoo, I did:
>grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot
like it said in the handbook and terminal spat out:
>Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
>efibootmgr: EFI variables are not supported on this system
>efibootmgr: EFI variables are not supported on this system
>Installation finished. No error reported.

I assume this means it didn't work?
>>
File: aero2 range map.png (324KB, 624x506px) Image search: [Google]
aero2 range map.png
324KB, 624x506px
>>58587792
>>58588019
>scam
We have something like here in Poland.
It's called aero2. You file a request for a SIM card online and pay the cost of registration/sim card/some initial cost I assume. It's roughly 10 USD iirc.

The simcard provides you with unlimited (as in data cap) internet access. The download/upload speed is limited to 512kbps.
But I browsed 4chinz and sent/received emails in bumfuck nowhere so it's "good enough".
>>
>>58588351
>It's roughly 10 USD iirc.
i said free
0$ per month
In some part of the city i get 40/20 mega speed
>>
>>58588389
It's a single initial payment come on.
Don't tell me you actually got the simcard for free?
They have to get the card, program it and ship it to you, it costs money.
Otherwise it's 0$/month

PS i checked and the cost of the simcard is actually 20PLN ~~ 5 USD
>>
>>58587980
The autocompletion is 90 % for me. It saves a lot of typing.
>>
>>58588019
Ja sam koristio VIP-ov modem dok sam bio na Debianu sa NetworkManager-om i nisam imao problema.
Inace, na windowsu mi se redovno diskonektovao na svakih nekoliko miunuta kao i tebi.
Sad sam na Arch-u (pazi, pazi, jako bitna cinjenica) ali ne koristim vise 3g modem.
>>
>>58588465
OIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH BOCI BOMBU NA BEOGRAD
>>
>>58588430
I personally go to their office, nothing over internet
Everything done in 5 minutes

>>58588465
Ja sam na archu, imam mt:s-ov dekodiran modem sa vip karticom. Ako koristim internet nema problema ali npr. ako pustim video koji traje 10 minuta, video se ucita brzo i tamo vec oko 6og minuta sam diskonektovan sa interneta.

Konektujem se isto preko nm-a
>>
>>58588526
Jel koristis komandnu liniju ili applet?
Ja sam koristio applet na Debianu, tako da nemam bas nesto iskustva sa NetworkManager-om na komandnoj liniji, ne znam da li bi mogao mozda da editujes systemd service file da mu kazes da ga automatski restartuje ako se diskonektuje ili mozda da napises neku skriptu il tako nesto.
Eventualno, probaj nesto sto nije NetworkManager.
Ima ovde opcija https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_3G_Modem

>>58588510
?
>>
>>58588671
>Ja sam koristio applet na Debianu
Ma isto, nm-applet, za poruke modem-manager-gui

Jel si podesavao mogucnost pozivanja?
To nisam jos testirao da li radi
>>
>>58588465
četniče oš kurca?
>>
>>58587573

Because of the standard vim Python indent file. I researched a bit and added this to my config, see if it works for you as intended.

let g:pyindent_open_paren = '&sw'
let g:pyindent_continue = '&sw'
>>
>>58588772
>Jel si podesavao mogucnost pozivanja?
Ne, modem sam koristio samo za net.
Nisam koristio ni modem-mamanger-gui.
Samo nm-applet.
>>
>>58588772
Predlazem ti da naucis nesto o systemd-u i pisanju unit fajlova (lako je).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0xoCA_qO58
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd

Ako ne znas neke osnovne stvari o povezivanju na net, bilo bi lepo da to naucis.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration
Probaj da se konektujes na ethernet i na wireless bez koriscenja NetworkManager-a.
Ovako ja to radim (skontaj sta sve ovo znaci)
ethernet:
# ip link set eth0s25 up
# systemctl start dhcpcd

wireless:
# ip link set wlp3s0 up
# wpa_supplicant -iwlp3s0 -c<(wpa_passphrase SSID password)
# systemctl start dhcpcd

Bolje ces skontati o cemu se radi i mozda uspeti da resis problem ako razumes te stvari.
I neces zavisiti od NetworkManager-a sa nm-applet-om.
>>
>>58579931
Just to answer my own question, I got this running using the custom script provided (after installing asterisk). The voices are much better.
http://nerdvittles.com/?p=16463

>>58580843
It doesn't work otherwise.
>>
>>58589042
>
# wpa_supplicant -iwlp3s0 -c<(wpa_passphrase SSID password)

zaboravio sam -B na kraju te komande
# wpa_supplicant -iwlp3s0 -c<(wpa_passphrase SSID password) -B 
>>
fresh compiled kernel, 6.9 MB
What about you?
>>
>>58589137
>6.9 MB
bloat
>>
>>58589137
nice what version?
>>
>>58589137
5.2 MB with Radeon modules included, 4.5 MB without
>>
why is linux 4.9 so long in the testing repos on Arch?
look at this https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/linux/
4.8.13 is even flagged out of date
>>
>>58588334
It means you're not in a UEFI environment. If you're using the official Gentoo LiveCD, you have to rename the efi image it creates and move it to another folder. Or you can use a real live CD such as SystemRescueCd that will actually boot UEFI.

I was baffled that in 2017 they still have not added UEFI support to the Gentoo live CD, and there;s absolutely no excuse for that considering the SystemRescueCd LiveCD is fucking built off of Gentoo. If you dig further into the handbook, they even tell you that you need to boot off a UEFI medium to properly install GRUB2, or to execute the proper commands to rename and move the efi image to the proper folder.

The Gentoo LiveCD is still stuck on the fucking 80's. It's a disgrace.
>>
>>58589412
Have a look at ardour if you think that is out of date.
Arch is fucking shit sometimes.
>>
>>58589412

I recall reading somewhere on Arch forums or in their bugtracker that the maintainer for the mainline kernel either doesn't have the time to maintain it or has some life issues.
>>
>>58589414
The Gentoo LiveDVD does support UEFI, the minimal installation CD doesn't. I agree they should fix this but you might confuse people
>>
>>58587756
>static
>DHCP
pick one faggot
>>
>>58589194
4.9.5-gnu
>>58589354
im still new to it haha
>>
>>58579931
you might add some extra voices, and pick one that sounds better:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=751169

as the other anon said, its more efficient to type
festival --tts test.txt
>>
>>58589444
My bad, I mean the minimal installation CD. I actually didn't realize they had two different mediums. I thought the minimal installation CD, which I've been calling the LiveCD was it. I was unaware there is actually a real LiveCD. I guess I should read more.

But yeah, the minimal installation CD should have UEFI support by now... that's the medium I've always installed Gentoo from.

And they need to start adding support for network adapters that are in popular motherboards, like the Atheros Killer E2200 chipset that's in the MSI Gaming 5 motherboard. I was absolutely floored when I found out how horrible the support for this network chipset is in Gentoo. Works like a champ off the minimal install CD, but once I complete my base install and reboot network no longer works. Network device is down, I bring it up manually and it's pulling a localhost loopback IP address, even after going through all the configuration of setting up the symbolic link between net.lo and net.enp3s0 (my eth device), setting up DHCP, rc-updating the service to start on boot up (it starts, DHCP just can't give it a real address). Even after recomplining the kernel using the network driver that is supposed to work with this chipset, I still had no luck.

Finally I said fuck it and installed Arch.

So yeah, if you are on an MSI Gaming 5 motherboard, or running any motherboard that uses the same Atheros Killer E2200 chipset that's in this motherboard, just beware that your internet may work in the live environment, but once you are booting into your kernel you are likely to run into issues because of shit support, no matter how you end up compiling the drivers in your kernel. The funny thing is some people can get it to work, I played with it for days with no luck before reinstalling Arch.

Or perhaps I'm just a retard.
>>
>>58589414
>>58589444
>>58589569
you dont need the DVD/CD just install from Ubuntu or another Distro.
>>
>>58589569
you do realize there is nothing stopping you from doing this yourself and submitting it to the developers
>>
>>58589558
Thanks for the festival tip. I got a better option running now.

http://elinux.org/RPi_Text_to_Speech_(Speech_Synthesis)#Google_Text_to_Speech
http://archive.is/OgeSS#selection-9.0-9.1108
>>
>>58589414
>>58589444
Strange, I was using the LiveDVD from a usb drive that I confirmed through my motherboard to be loading in UEFI mode.
I'm actually kind of mad now.
>>
Now what?
>>
>>58589999
Now we check those epic digits.
>>
File: 20170121_130145.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170121_130145.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>58589999
Shit
>>
What's the difference between links and elinks?
>>
File: 1455395786111.png (240KB, 538x355px) Image search: [Google]
1455395786111.png
240KB, 538x355px
lxde, xfce or mate? Which one of these is objectively the best, not asking for opinions just facts.
>>
>>58590634
Dwm
>>
What's the best distro if I want to use MotifWM?
>>
>>58590634
objectivity does not exist when you speak about wm
>>
>>58590660
Any distro that can run xorg?
>>
>>58589999
>>58590017
Update Gentoo
>>
>>58590634
lxqt.
>>
The archwiki has a nice page for synaptics here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

but what about using libinput? THe libinput page is much shorter and doesn't really go over in much detail all the options and such for a touchpad
>>
>>58590634
Xfce. It's light, mature, themeable, and hasn't failed me once.
Mate is close second, but still has some rough edges.
LXDE is one huge fractal of rough edges made out of rough edges.

You should get a separate compositor like compton, though.
>>
>>58590730
I'll do that once xorg finishes emerging
>>
>>58590842
Enjoy your perl blockage.
>>
>>58590862
pls dont mention it
>>
File: 1467505021634.jpg (1MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1467505021634.jpg
1MB, 2000x1333px
New/Final Friendly GNU/Linux Wallpapers thread! Drop your papes in here, faggots:
>>>/wg/6828207
OC welcome!
>>
It feels like one needs a black belt in shell scripting in order to write portable shell scripts. Is it better to simply write scripts targeting one shell like pure bash scripts?
>>
Hello friends,

I have recently received a chink bluetooth keyboard and mint recognizes it only as a keypad. I have searched on line to no avail. Obviously I have tried turning numlock off.

I am using a thinkpad.
>>
File: 1406833802743.jpg (215KB, 850x1186px) Image search: [Google]
1406833802743.jpg
215KB, 850x1186px
So bamboo just nuked all of my feeds and due to the nature of my backups, it already synced the folder with the nuked feeds. I hate everything.
Any recommendation of a RSS reader that isn't total dogshit? It even took its damn time just loading the feeds and sometimes it stayed in an infinite loop. I am very mad right now.
Really tempted to just embrace the botnet and switch back to Chromium.
>>
>>58591074
Don't worry. Bash is the most popular shell.
>>
>>58590684
What's the lightest distro that runs xorg?
>>
>>58591117
try to be more specific next time
>got X and it dun work
is not a very good problem description

You obviously haven't search online so stop lying.
>>
>>58591074
Just use sh as your interpreter instead of bash, that's the main issue with portability.
>>
>>58591074
There's a rule in programming: Use the right tool for the right task.
For instance, when you write a small oneliner for a hotkey or something like that, use POSIX sh, since it's faster. More complex stuff should be done in bash. Even more complex stuff, targeting cli should be done in C.
>>
>>58588843
I had to use ftplugin-overrule in the end. Although now smartindent won't autoindent functions but it will for conditionals. Oh well.
>>
>>58591074
I'm using this in VIM (with synastic):
https://www.shellcheck.net/
https://github.com/koalaman/shellcheck

It tells you when you're using a bashism in sh scripts.
>>
im on a t420 and installed Manjaro. Somehow I keep getting lags on everyday tasks. e.g. if I scroll down a webpage, a delay of maybe 0.5-1s happens and it then fastforwards quickly or when I attach a file to a mail.

i dont find any appropriate fix. can somebody give me a hint where/what to look for or knows this problem?
>>
>>58591134
Unironically gentoo
>>
>>58579560
You need to actually be in the directory or use the absolute path. You can't do dpkg -i from ~ because it's in ~/Downloads

Or bad troll
>>
>>58587357
I always used the netinstall before this, so that's why it caught me offguard. Is it normal for the CD install because I was about to file a bug report?

Guess I should just stick to what I know.
>>
What's the next step after Linux? BSD? Mac?
>>
>>58591538
linux-grsec
>>
>>58591538
Linux-libre
>>
>>58591538
Ubuntu
>>
>>58591564
>>58591591
These aren't mutually exclusive by the way, you can have both.
>>
File: 9frontfell02.png (837KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
9frontfell02.png
837KB, 500x384px
>>58591538
in this order
linux-libre
freebsd
openbsd
dragonflybsd
haiku
inferno
9front
>>
File: 9frontsystem10.png (238KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
9frontsystem10.png
238KB, 500x333px
>>58591668
>>
File: wheresgod.jpg (77KB, 547x366px) Image search: [Google]
wheresgod.jpg
77KB, 547x366px
I am currently running debian and I want to install arch on a hard disk (not the one where my OS is), how could that be achieved?
>>
>>58591739
Make a partition, filesystem, chroot into it and pacstrap.

If you want a binary distro, devuan and void are better.
>>
>>58591739
download arch iso
write it to a removable storage
run the installation
during partitioning process pick the installation drive youre interested in

done my friend, hope it was useful
>>
GNOME and KDE are absolute trainwrecks compared to Unity, how do you faggots put up with this shit?

The massively-increased memory usage alone is enough reason to not use that shit ever.
>>
>>58591795
Unity is an absolute trainwreck compared to Xfce and LXDE, how do you faggots put up with this shit?

The massively-increased memory usage alone is enough reason to not use that shit ever.
>>
Post """obscure""" commands that are nice to know about.

When my Chinese PhD friend told me about diff he blew my mind.

https://spin.atomicobject.com/2013/09/09/5-unix-commands/
>>
GNU/Thread: >>58591861
>>
>>58591870
cd -
brings you back to the last directory
even more useful aliased to -
>>
>>58591870
>https://spin.atomicobject.com/2013/09/09/5-unix-commands/
knew cal, xxd, find
ssh is kind of fucking obvious don't you think?

didn't know about man ascii.
I to did resort to tables lmao
>>
>>58591870
this could get ineresting, lets do this in the next thread
>>
>>58591870
nl
like cat with line numbers
>>
>>58591870
>diff
>obscure
>>
File: windows10.jpg (692KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
windows10.jpg
692KB, 2048x1536px
should i install gentoo or arch
>>
>>58592016
install gentoo
>>
File: thx4postin.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
thx4postin.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
>>58591772
>>58591780
>>
>>58591870
vim directory/
>>
>>58591813
>Xfce and LXDE
non-compositing stagnant retarded """DEs"""

literally neither are in active development, and do a significantly worse job than unity for any desktop task.

the unity search/launcher is worth it alone
>>
>>58592016
install gentoo. increase the memes.
>>
>>58591922
I second this.

>>58591998
>"""obscure"""
>"""
>>
File: 1475512304774.jpg (87KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
1475512304774.jpg
87KB, 620x387px
To install a linux distro using a USB do I really need a lot of GB's on the device? I'd imagine I wouldn't. I'm considering buying a lot-of-5 USB's but they all have 16GB, isn't that overkill to just install a distro even 8GB? I'm putting DBAN on one of them too.
>>
>>58592378
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>58592378
16 is definitely overkill.
8 probably as well, unless you are downloading all existing Debian packages for that Live USB.

I don't think you'll need more than 2 GB, but those might be hard to come by now.
>>
Glad this thread is still going.
I have an old smartphone with Andriod in it.
A sony phone.
Is rooted.
I want to put linux onto it but really do not know how.
Help.
>>
>>58593063
install gentoo
>>
>>58593063
install gentoo
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android
>>
File: large_498_Shine3blue_main.jpg (216KB, 1000x373px) Image search: [Google]
large_498_Shine3blue_main.jpg
216KB, 1000x373px
Anyone here familiar with Linux's/Raspbian's keyboard layout options? Which layout should I use for a Ducky Shine 3?
>>
>>58593771
Default English (?)
>>
I want to start a script on start up. I call it from the bash configuration file, but (since I always have a terminal program open) it executes twice. One for the tty1 and one for the console program.

I want to run it only from the terminal program. Is there a simple way to do it that doesn't need a $(tty) check?
>>
>>58594215
use cron
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.