[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Toshiba is dying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: 1475547552231.png (76KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1475547552231.png
76KB, 1200x675px
>Toshiba's American nuclear power plant construction division (acquired from Chicago Bridge & Iron) is bleeding money
>Toshiba says they will write down losses in range of $1B~$4.5B
>actual writedown is $6.1B
>shares down 50% since they first indicated they will write down losses in nuclear division late last year
>Toshiba asking Japanese government agencies for financial assistance
>Toshiba planning litigation against Chicago Bridge & Iron, alleging it hid the potential losses when they sold their nuclear construction division to Toshiba
>Toshiba's NAND flash division is up for sale, Western Digital (which is now controlled by Tsinghua Unisplendour of China) is most likely buyer
>Toshiba is in wind-down mode, selling parts of itself to repay banks

Weep for Toshiba, anons.
>>
>tfw their harddrives last longer than themselves
>>
Rip Japanese electronics fug man the future is chinkshit
>>
>>58571144
I would wait a bit longer before panicking.
>>
who the fuck is going to make me cheap fast reliable hardrives now
>>
Damn, I was waiting for Toshiba to release a silent single platter 1TB 2.5" SSHD. Now I'll have to pick a shitty Seagate drive.
>>
>>58571236
wouldn't be surprised if Russian companies started investing in the ssd business in the next 4/5 years, expect some cheap quality shit soon
>>
File: sad.png (892KB, 887x623px) Image search: [Google]
sad.png
892KB, 887x623px
I have a decent 2011 laptop from Toshiba.
Never really had problems with the brand.
Also my TV is from Toshiba and the TV where I started playing video games on was a Toshiba.

;_;

comfort me /g/
>>
>>58571144
>>Toshiba asking Japanese government agencies for financial assistance
And the Japanese government will bail them out like they always do.
>>
>There are unconfirmed reports Toshiba is seeking aid from the government-backed Development Bank of Japan (DBJ).

>The laptops-to-hydro power giant was plunged into crisis late last year when it emerged it faced huge cost overruns on projects handled by a newly-bought company that builds US nuclear power plants.

>Toshiba's US operation Westinghouse paid about $229m in 2015 for Stone & Webster, the nuclear construction subsidiary of Chicago Bridge & Iron.

>But on 27 December Toshiba admitted that it faced writedowns of "several billion dollars".

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38674697

Thing are looking real bad.
>>
>>58571284
This. Too big to fail.

Or in the case of Japan, too shameful to fail.
>>
>>58571236
Transcend
>>
>>58571342
Trans-"60°C idle"-cend?
>>
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-19/unsold-u-s-gas-toshiba-s-next-threat-as-nuclear-unit-loss-looms

In addition to $6.1B writedown in in its nuclear division, Toshiba's fossil fuel trading division is facing up to $8.2B in losses because of a bad bet on U.S. natural gas.
>>
>>58571358
What made natural gas in the US fail?
>>
>>58571369
They thought they could arbitrage natural gas price in Asia vs natural gas price in U.S. (U.S. price has been historically much lower than Asian prices).

The gap shrunk to nothing, making it unprofitable to ship U.S. natural gas to Asia, but Toshiba is locked in 20 year contract with U.S. natural gas refining facilities.
>>
Why aren't politicians realizing that once literally everything is made by Chinks, it's going to be a national security nightmare? Hardware backdoors on fucking everything.

We need to promote first world electronics.
>>
File: 1443364338656.png (59KB, 548x562px) Image search: [Google]
1443364338656.png
59KB, 548x562px
>>58571144
>3D NAND development from Toshiba is going to be delayed
Samsung and Micron is probably salivating at their chance to milk the market some more. Weep for our wallets, everyone!
>>
>>58571260
>sshd
>ever
>>
>>58571434
I seriously hope he does something about it.
>>
>>58571304

man I support nuclear power but what in the fuck were they thinking trying to get into that industry in fucking Burgerstan of all places?
>>
>>58571390
Damn it Toshiba. Why would you lock in a 20 year contract in anything these days?
>>
>>58571144
This is going to be real shit for the SSD industry.

Samsung: they produce everything for themselves so don't worry about them and their high-priced goods.

IMFT: already profiting on their 3D NAND

SK Hynix:
http://techreport.com/news/31157/sk-hynix-new-fab-will-boost-production-of-3d-nand-flash-and-dram
>The design phase for new Korean plant begins in January, with shovels hitting dirt in August 2017 and production starting by the end of 2019.
>production starting by the end of 2019.
Damn it....
Plus, they bought LinkAMedia - an SSD controller company - so they're possibly planning to pull a Samsung by producing everything just for themselves.

Toshiba and Sandisk (now WD):
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10829/toshiba-finalizes-plans-for-new-3d-nand-fab-coming-online-in-2019
>Toshiba is still talking with its partner Western Digital about joint investments in the new facility, but no matter what, the building will be completed in mid-2018 and the fab will start high volume production in 2019.
>will start high volume production in 2019.
Just fucking damn. Too many companies depend on this. Welcome to the Great SSD Crash.
>>
>>58571406
>We need to promote first world electronics.
and then you'd get NSA approved stuff like the Intel ME instead
there's just no winning
>>
>>58571144
People should know by now that anything with the name Chicago attached will be crooked.
>>
>>58571663
remember how Windows 95 failed and Microsoft died?
>>
>>58571354
He said cheap and reliable
As long as you keep it cool, it's both
>>
>>58571144
>Toshiba's NAND flash division is up for sale, Western Digital (which is now controlled by Tsinghua Unisplendour of China) is most likely buyer

Could someone tell me if DDR4 RAM prices will be jacked up again by ten-fold on the following months?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.