[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solaris killed by Oracle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

File: 50947760.jpg (80KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
50947760.jpg
80KB, 400x400px
Are you seriously gonna let Oracle kills Solaris?

Some of you know Solaris very well, you either were a sysadmin or you use it at college. So why do we let Oracle kill Solaris?

Don't! Solaris should be GPL'ed to ensure it survives and has a chance. So stand up, don't be lazy for once and start petitions, complain on forums, social websites, IRC. Make a riot that Orcale can't ignore.
>>
good riddance
>>
Honestly I think that nobody actually used it.
I'd want it go GPL though.
>>
>>58559620
>Solaris should be GPL'ed to ensure it survives and has a chance
Thought solaris already was open source? Besides, why should anyone care? It doesn't do anything special and it doesn't even run particularly well.
>>
>>58559717
Why would anyone care? Because Solaris is UNIX and shouldn't die.

Why do you even post here for starters.
>>
>>58559620
every one knows what happens with open source products when Oracle buys a company, no surprises here.
The day they anonunced that MySql was going to get bought by Oracle that was the day Libreoffice and Mariadb apeared.
>>
>>58559770
Many other forms of UNIX operating systems have died before and more will probably follow. Seriously, can you give one good reason to use Solaris?
>>
>>58559770
Just use Linux like a normal person...
>>
KEVIN
>>
>>58559620
As a C++ dev that has to support Solaris and work with SunStudio, let me say this: fucking finally!
>>
>>58559960
SMF
true containers (not hacked together cgroups/namespaces)
dtrace

wait..you've never used Solaris have you?
>>
>>58560249
>wait..you've never used Solaris have you?
Actually, my mother was a programmer for a local company focusing on their solaris systems in the 80s. I grew up with solaris and didn't get a windows machine until I was given my own P3 machine in '99. That's completely irrelevant because you still haven't come up with a single good reason to use solaris over anything else.
>>
>>58559620
There is an open source solaris fork
>>
>>58560293
>dtrace
>not relevant

Kek, go back to your roleplaying, kid.
>>
>>58559620
>Make a riot that Orcale can't ignore.
>JAVA + rights to api
oracle randomly sues people including google
>MySQL
>Solaris
OpenIndiana is just sad, stable but sad
>ZFS
it's also sad, that best file system is unusable becouse of shitty license
>>
>>58560320
>I don't know what I'm talking about
SystemTap and the ported version of dtrace would like a word with you.

Still waiting for a good reason to use solaris above anything else. Apparently you can't read.
>>
>>58560412
>why invent anything when we can just poorly port the good shit from good OS's.

Linux in a nutshell and why Solaris should exist. It is where innovation is born.
>>
>>58560446
>It' just a p-p-poor p-p-port! L-l-Linux is shit!
Yeah, awesome. Can we talk about how Solaris has been completely stagnant for the past decade or so and how there's no reason to use it any more?
>>
>>58560446
Actually, Linux doesn't port much. They have a "it must be born here" approach. They do rip off a lot of good ideas from commercial OS's, but they do it very poorly.
>>
>>58560446
Solaris is way too niche for /g/ to know or care about.

I dont know the curresnt state of legal affairs of Solaris, but if its opensource, then fork that shit, if its not, well its a product that a company decided to retire.

Hold to your OS until its hardware falls apart or until it is not safe to use.
>>
>>58560519
Solaris has already been innovative, Linux is still playing catchup to 2005 era Solaris. Name one the that Linux can do that Solaris can't.

smf > systemd
solaris zones > lxd (namespaces/cgroups (which was ripped from plan9)
dtrace > anything linux has
zfs > butterfinger FS
>>
>>58559717
Solaris is not open source anymore but OpenSolaris' community didn't just go away they formed their own fork and continued work there.
>>
>>58560631
True, but most of the code is coming from the smartOS crew, which is now owned by samsung.
>>
>>58560650
Seems like a good thing to me. Samsung isn't likely to discontinue SmartOS or contributions to illumos if they went through the trouble of acquiring them. Solaris will live on
>>
>>58559620
who cares about OS
will they make new SPARC?
>>
>>58560779
SPARC is even deader than Solaris. Hardware is expensive to produce and nothing except Solaris runs on SPARC I think
>>
>>58559620
Literally who actually cares?
>>
>>58560807
try harder faggot
>>
>>58560807
Nobody, but it would be nice to see the code that they have created since closing the source. Especially since they moved zones to use OpenBSD's pf from ipfw. Something the smartos/illumos guys said would be to hard to do.
>>
Solaris smf https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEGBRQDNGO4
>>
File: Karen_Laughing_With_Krabs.png (2MB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
Karen_Laughing_With_Krabs.png
2MB, 1152x864px
>>58560051

>use loonix
>normal person

kekekekekekekekekeekekek
>>
>>58560857
>serif
>>
>>58561417
>once again /g/ reverts back to ricer tier rather than being anything of substance.
>>
>>58561509
I bet you don't even use monospaced fonts either
>>
>>58562132
I bet you've never kissed a girl.
>>
>>58559620
>plebs still not using orenstien.
>>
>>58562154
I've kissed your mom
>>
>>58562357
Jokes on you; I have two dads, faggot.
>>
>>58562365
she says she's very disappointed in you
>>
>>58559620
>no article or source again
>Don't! Solaris should be GPL'ed to ensure it survives and has a chance. So stand up, don't be lazy for once and start petitions, complain on forums, social websites, IRC. Make a riot that Orcale can't ignore.
GPL doesn't fix bugs, doesn't bring in developers, it doesn't do shit. Illumos already exists and it's deader than a fucking doornail as it is.
>>
>>58562710
>Illumos already exists and it's deader than a fucking doornail as it is.
You don't know much do you.
>>
>>58562797
Is there even a slightly successful Illumos platform beyond SmartOS which even then doesn't seem to be used anywhere to appreciable levels? OI is a fucking mess and everything else is dead or irrelevant.

Opening the code doesn't make a shitty product less shit on its own.
>>
>>58562875
>I don't like it so it's dead.

ok.
>>
>>58562886
>I can't offer any actual counterpoint so I'll just keep acting like it's blatantly obvious to save face
Yeah, who's the one who knows dick here? I've daily driven my share of Illumos operating systems, they're fucking shit.
>>
>>58562969
A simple look into the github shows that dev hasn't died. You just repeated your ignorance
>I don't like it so it's dead.

keep repeating yourself mongoloid.
>>
>>58559620

Solaris on Intel is called slowlaris for a reason.

>gpl

It would be nice, but it wouldn't make me move to it. Too much installed base for linux here to care.

Larry is a cancer. Everything he touches he turns to shit, deliberately. Why people use Oracle at all if they don't have to mystifies me.
>>
>>58562983
>A simple look into the github shows that dev hasn't died
Ah, yes, the old "I'll take the meaning literally and preserve my delusion" trick, I bet you think HP-UX is still kicking too because they patch it every once and a while.

It's fucking dead, dude, nobody's using it, nobody's developing for it but the SmartOS team, even the BSDs have a more prolific community of non-core developers and a shit tons more users, that should tell you something right off the bat.
>>
>>58560795
Gentoo runs on SPARC
>>
>>58563053
It should tell you something that samsung just purchased joyent. But hey it's dead. right?
>>
>>58563053
nice shifting the goalpost you retard
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.