[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to replace my 2 250GB SATA drives with a single 500GB

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: sata-cable-connected-to-a-drive.jpg (62KB, 1000x663px) Image search: [Google]
sata-cable-connected-to-a-drive.jpg
62KB, 1000x663px
I want to replace my 2 250GB SATA drives with a single 500GB drive. They're connected to the same SATA card and are in a RAID stripe set up. Can I just plug a single 500GB drive in instead?
>>
>>58557847
Yes.

I used a PCI-E 1x raid controller before and had two drives, none in raid, just regular AHCI mode.
>>
>>58557847
if you want RAID you'll need more than one drive, if you simply want to move your stuff from two 250GB drives to a single 500GB drive, then yes you can.
>>
>2 250GB
>SATA card

Is your computer really really old? I don't get it. Maybe I'm just ignorant.
>>
>>58559332
Maybe they put them in raid to try and get more speed.
>>
>>58558740
Just make partitions
>>
>>58559761
the whole idea of RAID is to have a data storage consisting of multiple drives, I don't remember which RAID setup does what, but some boost read/write -speed and others exist to avoid losing all stored data when a drive breaks, using multiple partitions on a single physical drive doesn't provide either one of these.
>>
>>58560272
yea it does.. trust me, what you want is 4 partitions in raid 6
>>
>>58557847
Plug in 500GB drive
burn Gparted ISO to USB stick
copy partition from RAID array to 500GB drive

if it's a software array then just copy the volume(s) over
>>
>>58560874
RAID 6 with four partitions, in other words a situation where you can lose two partitions without losing data, ok, let's think about how that works; four partitions on a single disk, how does a partition fail? Unless the partition gets somehow corrupted the only way for a partition to fail is if the drive it's on breaks, and if the drive breaks you just lost *ALL* four partitions.
>>
>>58560979
actually, before you say that partitions are more likely to become corrupted than the disk is to break, let's use this analogy: you have eggs (partitions) and a basket (the drive), I say "don't put all eggs in one basket (all partitions on a single drive)", and you say "meh, the eggs will get spoiled before anything can happen to the basket anyway"
>>
>>58559332

Yeah, it's 10 years old and the harddrives are failing. Other than that it works fine for what I want.
>>
Femanon here.
I used the calculator on my iPhone 7 and it turns out 500gb is the same as 2 x 250 so it should be compatible
>>
>>58560979
>>58561072
you need to read into this a bit more before advising others on how to preserve their data.
>>
>>58558740
>if you want RAID you'll need more than one drive, if you simply want to move your stuff from two 250GB drives to a single 500GB drive, then yes you can.
You need to fix the boot loader on the new 500gig disk after cloning your partition(s)
>>
>>58564067
that's what, two, three commands in console (command prompt in Windows, shell in unix)?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.