[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some technical things that a normie can learn about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: ChJN33ZUoAA_rR2.jpg (41KB, 600x326px) Image search: [Google]
ChJN33ZUoAA_rR2.jpg
41KB, 600x326px
What are some technical things that a normie can learn about computers that most people don't know?

I can use the CLI reasonably well but beyond that, there isn't much I know about the hidden depths of my desktop. I want to become more knowledgable about computers in general. What is some cool, interesting and useful stuff to learn about them?
>>
Impress your Norrie friends with
netstat -a
>>
>>58559411
Better yet: tree. Simple and you can also make it recursive with goto so that it runs indefinitely.
>>
>what most people don't know
Anything that isn't facebook.
>>
>>58557572
>I can use the CLI reasonably well
That's more than enough.

If you want to learn more, then you need to know how to program, which will unlock an infinite gate of opportunity.
>>
simple coding stuff
>>
File: eyeeyeeye.gif (37KB, 540x450px) Image search: [Google]
eyeeyeeye.gif
37KB, 540x450px
>>58557572
Effective use of tmux
Scripting(current)
Overclocking
>Social Eng.
Cable Wizardry

>>58559430
Explain a bit?

>>58559468
I'm staying on the hardware/research side of CS. Reading code is fairly easy. Working with a team, do able.
>>
Scripting (python for the normales)
Basic networking (TCP/IP, Layer 2, and (some) Application protocols)
Basic computer architecture
Basic OS theory/architecture

Just knowing the basics, if only from a theoretical standpoint (ie, not writing related code) can lead you to a better understanding of what is going on, lending you more information at the moment of solving problems.
>>
>>58562140
Also DNS, ICMP (networking) and WEP, WPA* (wireless encryption/security).
Oh! And regular expressions.
Actually, start with regular expressions. They are easy (though they look daunting at first). Once you have down the basics look at grep, sed, and awk.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.