[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

contactless smart cards and magnets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: visa-paywave.jpg (13KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
visa-paywave.jpg
13KB, 425x282px
My bank sent me a new debit card recently and it has Visa paywave in addition to the usual exposed chip, I was wondering if a magnet on my phonecase could ruin the either one of the chips on the card, when I used some random steel objects to find the magnet on the case, the objects (nail clippers and a small pair of scissors) became magnetized & remain so even two months afterwards.

The reason I am asking are the two card pockets on the case that I thought might be handy for paying at stores without taking the card out of my wallet every time (I'll save the argument about how insecure paywave is for some other time, thank you)
>>
>>58557438
>(I'll save the argument about how insecure paywave is for some other time, thank you)
on a second thought scratch that, let's discuss how secure paywave actually is, both of my banks (I have two debit cards from different banks, because reasons) claim their systems will require the user to enter PIN every now and then, but so far I haven't seen it happen, have any of you heard of anyone who has used paywave/equivalent & been asked to enter PIN?
>>
in my country, if you try to pay more than ~13$ equivalent in our currency, you have to enter pin
>>
>>58557636
here it's 40€ maximum for paywave & (supposedly-) randomly requiring PIN
>>
File: de-nfc.jpg (1MB, 2646x1716px) Image search: [Google]
de-nfc.jpg
1MB, 2646x1716px
>>58557438

Static magnetic fields won't fuck with your nfc stuff.

Also, of you're not convinced wireless payment is safe at the moment you can disable it by punching a hole through the coil like I did (see pic related).

This won't fuck up the chip or magnetic tape.
>>
>>58557837
good to know, I wanted to make sure before I started keeping my debit card next to what seems to be a rather strong magnet, paywave seems secure enough for the time being, especially since both cards are debit only.
>>
>>58557438
No, it uses NFC.
>>
File: Capture.png (109KB, 1806x535px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
109KB, 1806x535px
>>58557438
Pic related from my bank
>only got contactless now in 2017
You are like 3 years late to the party.
>>
>>58557919
you may have noticed I asked about both chips.
>>
>>58557837
Congratulations, your card is now invalid and you are in breach of contract.
>>
>>58557994
>You are like 3 years late to the party.
both of my banks issue cards that last for three years, the other bank sent me a contactless one two years ago & the one that recently sent me a new card started issuing contactless cards soon after I got my last card from them.
>>
>>58558023

It works and nobody cares about the state it's in.
>>
most UK banks will issue an old style visa debit if requested. mastercard not so much
>>
>>58558023

Dude, are you from Germany or something?

>YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DISABLE A WIRELESS COMMUNICATION DEVICE ISSUED BY YOUR BANK THAT YOU CARRY AROUND ALL DAY!

S-s-sure, I-I didn't ask f-f-for this type of card but of course I'll protect it w-w-with my life, master!
>>
>>58557438
card manufacturers are not that retarded to make them fail because of some shitty magnet, no?
>>
>>58558157
I don't like it as well, but it's true, you can't, they can take actions against you if you tamper with your card. If you don't want nfc, just talk to them and ask for a card without it.
>>
>>58558157

He's not incorrect though. You fucked up, your autism got the better of you and you fucked your card up.
>>
>>58558211
>>58558215

My bank will never know I did this, so no consequences.
>>
>>58558267
No one's saying anything about that, we're only discussing the legal aspect, as in: it's illegal to punch a hole in a card issued by a bank.
>>
>>58558300

You're probably right about that.

Next time I'll just make a tear in the side like naturally happens after a few years of use.
>>
>>58558211
what if you're not allowed to get a card without nfc?
>>
>>58558333
I once saw a webpage where they showed the exact cut one can make in a corner to deactivate nfc, it's more discreet, but still not legal.

>>58558360
Talk to your bank, they have to give you a non-nfc alternative if you ask. If they don't, move to another bank. It's not like you married them.
>>
>>58558333
Here you go:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Disabling-Contacless-Payment-on-Debit-Cards/?ALLSTEPS
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.