[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Microsoft is begging you to ditch Windows 7 for Windows 10

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 23

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

>If you’re one of the many Windows users still hanging on to Windows 7 with a tight grasp, Microsoft wants you to know that it’s not super happy about it. The company, which has already admitted that it used some shady tactics to get users to upgrade from 7, 8, and 8.1 to 10, is now trying a new approach by suggesting that continuing to use Windows 7 will inevitably lead to security issues for you as a user.

https://bgr.com/2017/01/18/windows-10-upgrade-7-security/
>>
>>58556063
They tried this before over the years. Microsoft never changes.
>>
Once WIndows 7 is dead I'm moving back to Linux. Not a chance in hell am I switching to that botnet.
>>
>>58556108
>Once WIndows 7 is dead I'm moving back to Linux
>moving back
>ever leaving in the first place
Dual boot.
>>
>ms wants 1 united os so it can take csre of it better than 5 different one
>autistic retards too dumb to understand it

yeah lonix and its dozens of shitty distros are working out so well
>>
I just upgraded to 8.1 from 7.

OSX is better.
>>
>>58556234
>Micro$oft
>ever taking good care of the code for their OS
>forgetting the 63,000 bugs M$ admitted existed during Vista's time
>alot of those bugs are still there as Vista got layered uner 7/8.1/10 and unfixed
cancer
>>
>>58556063
>ontinuing to use Windows 7 will inevitably lead to security issues for you as a user
It will not, unless Microsoft themselves do something to compromise it.
Which they'll inevitably do, innit.
>>
>>58556234
It is, retard. I've never installed a driver on a Linux machine (save Broadcom, but that's a legal hangup). I've never had a kernel panic during actual use. I've never had an update render an installation unusable. I could go on, but you can't even seem to accept the idea that kernel development and distribution maintenance are two completely different things.
>>
>>58556234
Are you retarded? Microsoft releases dates in which they'll end support for a given OS. They don't support shit indefinitely.
>>
>>58556284
On the topic of Broadcom, why are they such faggots when it comes to Linux?
Also, pic related recently happened, secureboot fuckery brought to you by the hacks at good old microsoft.
>>
The only way windows get to run is in a VM with gpu-passthrough for gaming.
>>
>>58556297

>They don't support shit indefinitely

They support Windows indefinitely. What you meant to say was they don't support any version of Windows indefinitely.

As long as you switch to their newest shit, you're up2date
>>
>Not using the millionaire corporate LTSB version

Enjoy your botnet, cucks.
>>
File: GPU passthrough desktop.jpg (2MB, 5120x2800px) Image search: [Google]
GPU passthrough desktop.jpg
2MB, 5120x2800px
>>58556305
>passthrough
muh nigguh
now figure out how many passthroughs this guy did
>>
>>58556298
>why are they such faggots when it comes to Linux?
Because Linux is such a small market. It really doesn't count.
>>
>>58556343
They consistently fuck up on Linux when it comes to WiFi drivers. I find everything else working but WiFi whenever I do fresh installs on laptops.
>>
>>58556063
Windows 10 is ass. I tried it on an old Thickbad T420 with a Core i5, 120GB SSD and 8GB RAM. It struggled to do the most basic shit like web browsing and the UI design is simply ass. With Mac OS and GNU/Linux you can at least do some ricing and clean it up a bit. With Windows 10 you need to install all kinds of questionable third party software and then it's unstable as fuck. I couldn't even play my favorite game which is the original Star Wars Battlefront that works great in Windows 7. It's also botnet. The OS is useless for the one thing that Winfags go on and on about, and it watches you fap. Why would anyone use Windows 10?

>>58556234
Hey Pajeet, if GNU/Linux is so shit then why is MS using Ubuntu to run bash on Windows 10?

>>58556246
I agree. I'm going to start hackintoshing again.
>>
>>58556375
MS and Ubuntu partnering up means Ubuntu's days are numbered. MS has a tendency to steal what isn't nailed down and claim they made an innovation. Canonical can only do so much against a company that's known to have paid massive fines for anti trust cases.
>>
>>58556063
make that shit free again and ill try it
>>
>>58556375
>The OS is useless for the one thing that Winfags go on and on abou
What is that, exactly? And don't say virtual desktops. Because you can get that shit on Windows 7 too.
>>
I installed ubuntu gnome recently because /g/ keeps making me feel bad about not using linux but I don't really see the point for my uses aka just shitposting in chrome all day.
>>
>>58556234
>ms wants 1 united os so it can take csre of it better
So why are they doing such a shitty fucking job of that currently?
>>
File: le lelee.png (8KB, 1207x70px)
le lelee.png
8KB, 1207x70px
>>58556063
>The company, which has already admitted that it used some shady tactics to get users to upgrade from 7, 8, and 8.1 to 10

Does this have anything to do with the random intel updates? Everywhere I read people claim it broke their installs completely and doesn't even do anything
>>
>>58556408
Because they've always been shit at it. The pajeets joining in are actually an improvement. Read up. Or bone up. https://archive.is/b0mru

private\genx\shell\inc\prsht.w:
// we are such morons. Wiz97 underwent a redesign between IE4 and IE5

private\shell\ext\ftp\ftpdrop.cpp:
We have to do this only because Exchange is a moron.

private\shell\shdoc401\unicpp\desktop.cpp:
// We are morons. We changed the IDeskTray interface between IE4

private\shell\browseui\itbar.cpp:
// should be fixed in the apps themselves. Morons!
>>
File: Win XD.png (1MB, 1300x4704px) Image search: [Google]
Win XD.png
1MB, 1300x4704px
>>58556557
>they've always been shit at it
>>
>>58556063
how good is peppermint linux
>>
>>58556691
That image is barely scratching the surface of the greatest and longest running scam in software history.
Don't forget that Bill Gates bought a clone of DOS.
>>
>>58556108
My thoughts exactly
>>
>>58556700
it's a fancy Ubuntu
>>
>>58556108
No, you won't. The fact that you haven't already switched to at least dualbooting with Linux being your more used OS means you're already too addicted to the Microsoft ecosystem. You won't leave.
>>
Why don't you want Microsoft to use your data? They will improve things with it.
>>
>>58556743
Like what? Their bank account?
>>
>>58556723
ubuntu is trash now and bloated if i get ubuntu ill go full autism and download moebuntu
>>
>>58556748

You need big data for ML voodoo.
>>
YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP IS NEAR
>>
>>58556763
Name three good for beginners linux distros then. I see Ubuntu with Unity DE or Mate/Cinnamon get recommended for normals time and time again.
>>
>>58556777
TRIPS CONFIRM
>>
>>58556275
>>58556284
>>58556297
>>58556375
>>58556408
Its okay weeb autists your 2%hobbyos is simply shit
>>
>>58556788
PLEASE KEK NO
2% IS ENOUGH OF A MARKETSHARE FOR THE PENGUIN
THINK OF MY SHEKELS WHAT WILL I DO WITH MY STOCKS OY VEY
>>
>W7 soon to be illegal
>loonix is unsupported shit
>macos is a joke
I guess ill be moving to reactOS
>>
>>58556805
>windows 7
>illegal
wut
>>
>>58556784
sabayon linux vine and bsd
>>
>>58556812
>sabayon linux
How about without systemd? Because centralization isn't really very Unix.
>>
>>58556807
Just wait man, itll be a big fuss about russian hackers rigged the american election because of W7 so theyll outlaw old operating systems or something equally stupid
>>
File: Microsoft - January bug - PC.png (593KB, 672x937px) Image search: [Google]
Microsoft - January bug - PC.png
593KB, 672x937px
>>58556823
More like they're going to pull out the failed XP-to-Vista playbook. Looks like Microsoft is going to shoot itself in the foot again.
>>
>>58556343
It's not market related, if my memory serves me correctly. I don't think the licensing is conducive to being included in the kernel. When you install the Broadcom drivers, you're actually compiling a kernel module and using that.

Fucking annoying, isn't it? I get proprietary shit in industries where you're paying for physical products, but I usually get the impression that people that pull licensing bullshit in software are just fucking niggers. You could just as easily be supporting that software yourself.
>>
>>58556817
Jump ship to BSD if you're looking to ditch systemd. Funtoo and Slack are fighting the good fight, but Poettering has managed to cry his way into everybody's shit.

The Rat is so autistic that he lost millions in funding for OpenBSD because he wouldn't double back on what he believed in. Throw in with the people that are actually going to fight for what you want.
>>
>>58556817
Not an argument; Neither GNU or Linux are Unix or even Unix compatible, just cheap and poorly designed clones.
>>
>free
>still only autistic weeb retards use it
>2%

What a fucking failure
>>
>>58556961
It was 1% last year. Now it's 2% at the start of this year. 3% at the end of the year at this rate.
>>
>>58556973
Only because of Google BotnetBooks.
The GNU/Linux desktop remains at 1.5-1.7% market share.
>>
>>58556375
tried that shit once on my x220 with 4gb ram and the performance was not that bad but the ui was terrible
>>
>>58556928
I was thinking of BSD but I need a real gui and apps. OSX gives me both so thinking of hackintosh.
>>
>>58556777
kek is feeling lucky today
>>
>>58556973
It was 2% for a loooong time
>>
>>58556777
>said every year by lonix autusts for more than a decade
>>
>>58554050

>tfw you use an operating system run by basement dwelling autists doing a side project in hopes of getting a job at an actual company like Apple or Microsoft all so you can download terabytes of anime, and then try to convince the rest of the internet that it's good enough as a desktop OS for people that aren't pasty white sexual deviants like you
>>
>>58556063
Get mojave'd
>>
>>58556784
openSUSE, Manjaro/Apricity, ZorinOS, Mint, Solus, Deepin, elementary
And for without SystemD, PCLinuxOS.
>>
The only reason to still use Windows is games. OSX has already most of the commercial tools that are needed from it, and if you don't need those, Linux has a good amount of games already. However Windows remains as the number one OS if you really give a shit about playing certain games on your current hardware without going out and buying a console. That -is- pretty much it though.

Windows has crappy font rendering, terrible defaults, 10 is a pain to customize, you get a lot of meaningless updates, the file manager is really dated and featureless, it's not secure at all.
>>
>>58556335
Only 1. The other terminals are ssh. Are you stupid?
>>
>>58556305
>Decide to do VM passthrough
>Intel 4600 HD and 280x
>Use linux on intel
>Can't even do fucking web browsing comfortably because there's tearing all over the place no matter what I try
>Nevermind about playing videos
>Spent a whole day just for that shit

Yeah nah. I'm not running half a system as my host, I don't care how good Windows runs that way.
>>
>>58557136
It was 1.x% for a longgg time. It recently hit high 2%, and is on the rise. Keep crying over other peoples software choices. Have fun with Windows 10 breaking all the time and those built in ads.
>>
>>58557318
Except it doesnt break and it doesnt have built in ads ;)
>>
>>58556275
I'm sure you know alot about enterprise software development after ricing your Ubuntu wallpaper
>>
>>58557318
works on my machine
>>
>>58556063
How good is fedora? that's the only distro i had my eyes on.
>>
>>58557296
I haven't had any issues on Manjaro. Similar setup with intel/amd.
>>
>>58557446
better than wincuck ten
>>
Once my 8.1 installation no longer works for what I do, I'm switching to macOS, even if it means using a fucking Mac Mini running Snow Leopard (Apple's best OS).

No way in hell will I enter the bottomless pit of Loonix autistic clusterfuckery and I will not use RestartBotnetOS10 from Vindoos.
>>
>>58557774
congrats on going to /lit/ once.
>>
Tell me /g/, how did they manage to make windows 7 so fantastic that no one wants to switch over? I'm genuinely going to miss this beauty when it's gone (that sexy aero theme too)
Already began my transition to linux. Not touching 8 or 10
>>
>>58557446
Fedora is pretty good. I'm using it with LXQt + kwin at the moment, runs well on my old laptop with 4GB of RAM. A few tweaks out of the box like adding RPMFusion and you'll be set.
>>
>>58557296
how does it perform if you don't run the windows vm? Intel HD graphics should have no issues doing stuff like webbrowsing or playing videos.
>>
>>58557856
It doesn't on mine and it drives two 16:10 monitors. Wonder if you'll get an answer. Doubt it.
>>
>>58557856
The same way, that's the thing. I would handle it if it ran like shit while using the Windows VM, but to me the only way this would be usable is if I could switch graphics when not using the VM.
>>
File: kill_yourself_1477898074094.jpg (132KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
kill_yourself_1477898074094.jpg
132KB, 700x525px
>>58556063
>inevitably lead to security issues
> inevitably
> "lead to"

implying future tense

implying anything microsoft isn't a security clusterfuck
>>
Once they got everyone on 10 and have made it impossible to get the older versions legally, the shafting will begin. You think Windows 10 is awful now? Think again.
>>
>>58557885

This. Anyone with a brain should have some decent hardware laying around which can run older versions of Windows. Kaby Lake won't let you install anything other than Windows 10.
>>
>>58557822

Win7, in many ways, was finally what WinXP 64-bit was supposed to be, what had been promised ever since Win98 & WinNT were released.

Although, they also removed essential things from Win7 that should have stayed (gpu handling the entire GUI load) and added shit (like aero) that should never have been included in the base install. Aero (as a good example) should have been released as an optional add-on and maintained separately for those who like that sort of faggoty shit.

But, the user still has/had enough control over Win7 that it could be leaned down and turned into a useful GUI instead of a massive, bloated resource hawg vidya gaymeme.
>>
I don't like aero myself, but I can't live without vsync on the desktop. Scrolling without it is just not good at all.
>>
>>58556081
This
>>
I like Windows 10, I have it on my desktop. But I have Windows 7 on my Mac book pro, and it's not worth the hassle of "upgrading". If 7 ever becomes a security nightmare, I'll just boot into OSX instead.
>>
File: 1482095581323.jpg (29KB, 399x385px) Image search: [Google]
1482095581323.jpg
29KB, 399x385px
>>58557397
damn that made me kek
>>
>>58556375
>Windows 10 is ass. I tried it on a seven year old laptop and it was slow
what the fuck did you expect?
>With Windows 10 you need to install all kinds of questionable third party software
You're aware that the shit in your precious leenucks repos is third party as well, right?
>and then it's unstable as fuck
Might be your aforementioned seven year old laptop, I've never had any of my machines crash on me, even though I'm using the dev builds on one of them.
>I couldn't even play my favorite game which is the original Star Wars Battlefront that works great in Windows 7
This is straight up bullshit, the original Battlefront games have issues on Windows 7 as well.
>It's also botnet
retards keep spouting this shit but can never produce actual evidence of it
>and it watches you fap
see above
>>
>>58557296
Get a compositor like compton or Kwin and it should go away. X11 is a bit of a pain and will be replaced by Wayland in the future.
>>
>>58557910
that's bullshit as proven by this video
https://youtu.be/MnxwEuzYvZE
>>
>>58558086
>never produce actual evidence of it
EULA and privacy statements
>>
>>58558135
EULA and privacy statements that apply to Microsoft products such as OneDrive and the Microsoft Mail app, not the operating system itself.
>>
>>58558086
>what the fuck did you expect?
It to be lighter on sources and overall better like every goddamn shill touts it to be.
>>
>>58558086
>1 M$ has been deposited in your Xbox LIVE account
Thank you for correcting the record!
>>
>>58556408
because pajeets. have you tried to work with them?
>>
>>58558158
That's actually the case, unless you're a complete retard and/or Linux shill.
I updated Windows 7 to Windows 10 on a machine from 2008 and it ran better and more stable than before.
>>
>>58558216
So if it's that dependent on users mental capacity, maybe it isn't better.
>>
>>58558159
Feel free to prove one (or more!) of my points wrong.
>>
>>58558209

>going off campus for toilet breaks
>25 minutes to shit

I can see how that harms productivity.
>>
>>58558235
Sure, show us where all data is stored, way to decrypt it and/or access to the servers where data is send.
>>
>>58556063
They're not wrong?

Most people didn't know about the glaring security issues present by sticking with XP after it lost support.
>>
File: 0166 - PBb5kof.jpg (29KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
0166 - PBb5kof.jpg
29KB, 400x386px
FML I use Winshit 10. The funny thing is I've been a professional Linux sys admin, and use nothing but Linux for servers when I don't have to deal with Microshit's cuckery in enterprise.

However, I'm pretty efficient using Win 10 as my workstation OS. Yeah, I do wish I had Bash and shit natively. I know Microsoft has been working on bringing a full native Bash environment to Win too, but it's always going to be some sort of compromised bullshit. Not to mention all the NSA backdoors and other horse shit.

I've been on the fence about switching, but bleeding edge hardware support lacks in Linux. Also, I don't want to deal with WINE and other abstraction layers and config files ad nauseam to get shit easily available on Winshit working on a Linux workstation.

I dunno what to do anymore. Just bend my ass over and rape me already, NSA -.-
>>
>>58557274
Why would you assume that he/she/it/woof doesn't know the answer already?
>>
>>58556375
I run Windows 10 on my X201, with 4gb of RAM (i5 and 120gb SSD too) and doesn't have a problem at all.

I use it for college mainly, so just web browsing, MS Office, etc, and sometimes some little old game from GOG, like RollerCoaster Tycoon.
I bought this X201 to use Linux initially, but really, LibreOffice is a fucking joke. It's so shit that I just formatted and installed Win 10, cause I was using it at college.

I had to update the BIOS for it to work correctly though, so maybe that's what's shitting the bed on your T420.
>>
>>58558403
>I have to use an office suite to do college work
Ask me how I know that you're an Amerilard
>>
>>58558235
I don't have to because your points were never proved to be correct
>>
>>58558488
Okay, here I go:
>what the fuck did you expect?
It's not reasonable to expect modern software to work on decade-old hardware.
>shit in linux repos is third party
Software in the Ubuntu, or Arch, or whatever repos is not written by the same people that work on the distro itself.
>I've never had any machines crash on me and I'm using the dev builds on one of them
I can't exactly ~prove~ the first claim, but I could link you a picture of my tablet running Windows 10 preview if you'd like
>the original Battlefront games have issues on Windows 7 as well
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1972808
>retards keep spouting this shit but can never produce actual evidence of it
You're spouting shit without producing evidence

There you go, proved every single one of my points, your turn now :)
>>
>>58558448
I live in a 3rd world shit hole.

I don't need to use an Office suite, but I want to, because that's how I do my things (don't tell me to use LaTeX or stuff like that), and MS Office is just plain better than LibreOffice.
The PowerPoints from the teachers always get fucked up on Libre, for example.

The PDF readers on Linux are shit too (I had a lot of problems when I tried to highlight a lot of text with them).

My college course is not about programming, so I just went with Windows 10, because, although it's cliché, it just werks with what I need.

I plan to try Linux again in the future, and I pray that LibreOffice or some other FOSS Office suite gets on par with MS Office till then. For the time being, I'll just stick with BotNet 10.

Also, the main point of my reply still stands. Windows 10 may have all the problems on the world, but it runs well on a X201 and should have no problem on a T420 too. The reason it doesn't is probably BIOS related.
>>
File: HEH.png (256KB, 1250x1066px) Image search: [Google]
HEH.png
256KB, 1250x1066px
>>58558548
oh i'm sorry mr anon, I was just funposting
>>
>>58558570
>don't tell me to use LaTeX or stuff like that
Why not? My college, and every college people I know go to, encourages the use of LaTeX and provides templates for its students.
>The PowerPoints from the teachers always get fucked up on Libre
My teachers provide their PowerPoints in PDF
>The PDF readers on Linux are shit too
Just use Chromium, or install PDFView and use emacs
>should have no problem on a T420 too. The reason it doesn't is probably BIOS related.
The reason it doesn't is that the guy who owns the T420 is a blabbering retard. I've ran 10 on my x220 without issues.
>>
>>58558158
Stop listening to shills. MS never claimed 10 is lighter on resources. They even increased the system requirements.
>>
>>58558631
Exactly. I really doubt all these claiming it runs faster are being truthful.
>>
>>58558631
>They even increased the system requirements.
Oops, too bad that's wrong.
Windows 10 and Windows 7 have the exact same system requirements, see
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10737/windows-7-system-requirements
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications
Better luck next time!
>>
>>58556234
>take care
>they still haven't fixed a taskbar highlight bug which is from 7 or maybe even vista
lmao
>>
>>58558607
>Why not? My college, and every college people I know go to, encourages the use of LaTeX and provides templates for its students.
As I said, I live on a 3rd world shit hole. People on my college doesn't even know that there's an OS that's not Windows and that you can do works with stuff other than MS Office.
And to me it's kinda overcomplicated. I just wanna use a decent WYSIWYG text editor (with support for tables, table of contents, etc) for the annotations on class and 99% of the works.
LaTeX maybe useful for the more serious works, but overall I don't see a point in using it.

>My teachers provide their PowerPoints in PDF
My teachers are dumb. I usually just convert the PowerPoint files to PDF's.

>Just use Chromium, or install PDFView and use emacs
Chromium let's you highlight and stuff?
Didn't know that, thanks for the tip!
>>
>>58556108
I use and love debian for my homeserver but I would NEVER change my windows 7 for that crap as a main computer
>>
File: untitled.png (62KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
62KB, 1024x768px
XP was the last good Windows version anyway.
>>
>>58558671
They did, with anniversary update:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-anniversary-update-will-require-more-ram/
>>
>>58557296
Use Wayland
>>
>>58558671
That doesn't matter much because in Windows 10 you can't opt out of the bloated theme and use the classic one. Imagine if you were forced to use 7's Aero theme all the time. Wouldn't be that good on the resources now would it?
>>
>>58557872
AFAIK you can actually do that, don't recall the details (I prefer having the vm running constantly). Might want to google around.
>>
But how do I game with out WIndows? Should I just buy a Switch and abandon PCgaming altogether?
>>
File: 1484331709466.png (13KB, 450x259px)
1484331709466.png
13KB, 450x259px
>>58558824
Actually, even the Aero theme in W7 is much lighter than the W10 theme.

But MS made the default animations/transitions in W10 a bit shorter and now everyone thinks the system is "snappier" and lighter on resources.
>>
>>58558288
Sounds like it's all in your head friend
>>
>>58558824
But 10's theme uses less resources than Windows 7's aero. It's not even rendered on the GPU.
>>
>>58558876
desu that graph seems bullshit to me, I have three monitors and a lot of shit open and my vram is at 330 MB
>>
>>58558872
It's not like there are good games for Windows coming out in this day and age anyway, unless you like MMOs with microtransactions, soulless blockbuster shit or retro style hipster art """"games""""

Don't know what the consoles have to offer but PC gaming is dead. You might as well play older titles in which case you don't need to put up with Windows 10's bullshit anyway.
>>
>>58558880
>It's not even rendered on the GPU.
Try disabling GPU acceleration and see how slow it becomes.
>>
>>58556375
>I tried it on an old Thickbad T420 with a Core i5, 120GB SSD and 8GB RAM. It struggled to do the most basic shit like web browsing
>Blatant lies
Posted from my a6-4455m laptop with 6 gigs of ram and a 5200RPM spinny rust disc, running windows 10. If you're going to lie, at least make it believable.

There's a small chance that you are telling the truth though, and you just refused to let windows install the GPU drivers. since everything is GPU accelerated, that'd mess with the OS quite a bit. This would be a very clear example of PICNIC.
>>
>>58558895
you have a browser displaying an IMAGE board in it... ofc the vram is going to be high.
>>
>>58558570
WPS office exists, it's much better. Also
>pdf readers are shit
What are you using? Even 10 year old PDF readers will be 100% fine.
>I plan to try Linux in future
Who are you kidding, no you don't. You can use Ubuntu or something similar and it will do whatever you need it to, but you refuse because you're afraid of change. Sticking with windows will only make you even more addicted.
I've turned to linux and
>had no problems, all my hardware works without the need of additional drivers, while windows requires you to hunt them down manually
>can browse, play vidya, watch vids, edit photos, transfer files, use social memedia. All this out of the box. Windows requires you to install all software manually, as if it were Arch Linux.
Everything works. If you "need" MS Office you can always install Zorin OS and use the pre-installed PlayOnLinux.
>>
>>58558968
yes, that is what I'm saying. The image is claiming that Win 10 uses 258MB on 1080p while IDLE, and I'm only 70MB above that while using three screens and having a bunch of shit open.
>>
>>58556234
what kind of a comment
windows: zero choice

www.distrowatch.com "shitty distros"

idiot
>>
>>58558895
>I have three monitors and a lot of shit open and my vram is at 330 MB
If they're 1080p, it sounds about right based on that graph to me. (3x 1080p is less than 4k, which uses 410MB)
>>
>>58556275
"hello world" using visual studio
is also "hello microsoft" & a lot more information
>>
File: 1423425136641.gif (426KB, 499x265px) Image search: [Google]
1423425136641.gif
426KB, 499x265px
>>58556063
>Microsoft wants you to know that it’s not super happy about it.
I do what I want idgaf
>>
>>58558876
>Muh RAM!
I thought we had gotten past this? Leaving RAM unused is not inherently a good thing. You can install windows 98 on a modern laptop, it'll use very little RAM and virtually no VRAM but the battery life will be shit because it has no idea how to handle a modern CPU with all the power saving states.
>>
>>58558994
but that graph is still IDLE usage. I not only have a shitload of tabs open, but also multiple videos and a game.
>>
>>58556063
>Windows XP II: Electric Boogaloo

Oh wait, there is still a large portion of windows users still using XP too. Sucks to be MS I guess, even though they totally whooped IBM and ran them out of the home PC market. It's almost as if IBM, being more than a fly-by-night company, realized that this market was already turning to shit that far back, and was no longer worth their time.
>>
>>58556063
I just like the look of windows 7. My ex already left me to get BLACKED. I don't want my os to get BLACKED too.
>>
>>58556112
>Dual boot
NO U!
>>
I will move onto Windows 10 once microsoft implement feature to stop every nazi forced update. I had a laptop with win 8 and it just fucked me in the ass just in middle of rendering video and forced update, all my work was gone...FUCK YOU MS
>>
>>58556234
>working out so well

So well in fact that a few years ago MS was sucking RedHat's dick in order to get them to work together with MS, and are now doing the same thing with Canonical. But Windows is sooo much better, and Linux is garbage that no one cares about. Keep deluding yourself, dear consumer.
>>
>>58556112
>setup VM with pci-passthrough for your memegraphics
>install windows 10 on it
>assign it a virtual network device
>block all microsoft IPs using iptables
>monitor traffic in case you missed something
>>
>>58559448
I've been using Windows 10 since it came out and never had it force reboot on me. Have you tried turning your computer off when you go to bed?
>>
>>58559522
I never turn off my computer, I want to have everything ready all the time.
It had warned me few times, about upcoming update, but i decided to skip it. But then just told me in 15 minutes its gonna restart no matter what...and it did.
Another case of forced update, bud of mine got laptop with win 10. We went to some kind of lanparty, system told him to take a nap and relax while it is updating. I took like 1hour and half.
>>
>>58559448
It's funny you say that because the forced restart to update has been reduced to nagging you to restart. It'll still restart outside your "active hours" but you can configure those manually. This also shouldn't be a major problem since updates only come out once a month, as long as there are no major security holes that need to be addressed immediately but then again you probably shouldn't be putting those off. PEBKAC.
>>
>>58559623
Oh, you're one of those people who'd rather have their shit used by some 14 year old Russian to DDOS Blizzard instead of spending 60 seconds of your day waiting for your PC to boot.
>>
>>58559623
>system told him to take a nap and relax while it is updating
Yeah, no. Calling bullshit on this.
>>
>>58559645
if they changed it to just nagging, its not a big deal anymore
>>58559684
it said something along these lines, I dont remember that phrase exactly
>>
>>58556343
>this is what mongoloids actually believe
>>
>>58559746
>it said something along these lines, I dont remember that phrase exactly
No, it didn't. It wouldn't say anything along those lines at all as that's blatantly against the guidelines set up since windows fucking 7. It might have said "It'll be worth the wait" or something similarly vague but it'll never actually tell you to leave the computer or otherwise occupy yourself.

Seriously, you're clueless, stop posting. Lying isn't helping anyone and I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish doing it.
>>
>>58559915
it didnt tell him to leave the computer, just to relax while its updating, it was in our 3rd world country native language

why would anybody even remotely wanna lie about something so irrelevant ?
>>
>>58559448
>I will move onto Windows 10 once microsoft implement feature to stop every nazi forced update.
It already lets you do that. Read the fucking manual, dumbass.
>>
>>58559991
>just to relax while its updating, it was in our 3rd world country native language
You see, now I KNOW you're lying as I've worked on one of the localisation teams for Windows 8 before launch. I could write whole books about how strict Microsoft are but there'd be no point because Microsoft themselves already have. They've written several, including proper language use, what INDIVIDUAL words should be translated as and many other things. What you're describing is a directly contradictory to their directives.

If you're not lying then my guess is that your memory is seriously faulty, which again completely invalidates your bullshit anecdote. I'd also like to point out that you've changed your statement from "go take a nap" to "relax while its[sic] updating".
>>
>>58560110
then I failed with translating that phrase.
In my language taking a nap and relax have synonymous meaning.
>>58560067
didnt know, Im back on Win 7 and didnt care much after my negative experience
>>
>>58556063

Nay. Unless MS does some more holes by themselves and deliberately, might I add,
>>
>>58560214
>then I failed with translating that phrase.
As you have with many other things, evidently. I'd suggest you lurk more but I don't think that'd help. You need to learn about things before you give your opinion on them, otherwise you just come across as a complete and utter idiot. Several anons have called you stupid at this point.
>>
File: 14 - JMrmKt7.jpg (53KB, 907x718px) Image search: [Google]
14 - JMrmKt7.jpg
53KB, 907x718px
>>58557198
>implying anyone on /g/ has had sex before
>>
File: IMG_1589.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1589.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
You'll never take me alive.
>>
>>58560315
So I was wrong and corrected. I take it as enlightenment.
>>
>>58556108
I think you want to have a separate Linux machine or dual boot *now* if you're serious about that.

At least I think we're beyond the point where you should trust MS to still have the "same" interest in keeping your OS running smoothly, or at least just leaving it alone.
>>
File: Bear_with_Shotgun_by_Attlach.png (669KB, 798x834px) Image search: [Google]
Bear_with_Shotgun_by_Attlach.png
669KB, 798x834px
>tfw the last of the windows xp users
>>
>>58556305
>avoid using Windows because muh botnet muh freedumz muh m$ is evil
>uses Windows anyway
freetards smfh
>>
what are you scared of, /g/? It's not like you browse websites you're not supposed to browse, right?
>>
>use XP for longest time
>finally get 7 for gaymen PC
>m$ goes ultra jew with windows 8 and 10
>get more and more put off keeping even windows 7
>reinstall pirated 7 with all the update features disabled on gaymen pc for whenever I still use it
>get a thinkpad and put debian on it
fuck microsoft
>>
>>58560797
I have xp too. on old C2D system, because many old apps wont run on newer OS. For example Immobiliser decoder for one of my cars.
>>
>>58560828
He's putting the botnet in a sandboxed environment and makes it run only games.

It won't even have access to private conversations or know that you shitpost here. That's not as meaningless as what you are pretending
>>
>>58557946
Underrated post
>>
>>58560860
You're on one of them right now.
>>
File: Untitled.png (13KB, 406x468px)
Untitled.png
13KB, 406x468px
>>
>>58556063
Using Windows in and of itself is a security issue.

You can't rationally use that as the reason to compel people to upgrade.
>>
>>58560938
>It won't even have access to private conversations or know that you shitpost here. That's not as meaningless as what you are pretending
And yet you post here, which sends a lot of telemetry to Google per post...
>>
>>58558915
Titanfall 2 is among the best games of the generation, and the only proper way to play it is m+kb

Yes, it means installing Origin. Worth it.
>>
>>58560997
Google has probably a chance to identify me individually on this "fairly public" talking, though they might also mix me up with many other users.

(I don't regard it as private & secured conversation in the end.)

And even then they still promise to better protect my identity vs. unnamed third parties as compared to the "we do virtually whatever we want" third party policies of MS or Apple, and they give fairly decent insight into what they collected.
>>
>>58558758
Nice VM faggot
>>
>>58556725
i agree with you anon
>>
>>58556063

glad I own a Mac
>>
>>58558150
>EULA and privacy statements that apply to Microsoft products such as OneDrive and the Microsoft Mail app, not the operating system itself.

1.) Do you want to share your personal data with Microsoft?
2.)Do you want to share your browsing history with Microsoft?
3.)Do you want to automatically connect to WiFi networks which your "friends" have previously connected to? What!?!?!?!!?
4.)Do you want to automatically connect to other networks which have been pre-selected by Microsoft?
5.)Do you want to automatically connect to otherwise unknown public-access wireless networks, just to check and see if they need some other kind of authentication?

do you want more winfag?
>>
>>58561517
connect idle win pc to net through linux machine and wireshark it...and be surprised
>>
File: 1475035106516.png (12KB, 289x300px)
1475035106516.png
12KB, 289x300px
>>58556063
Damn, why is microloo so much insecure?
>>
File: jewsoft.png (340KB, 632x461px) Image search: [Google]
jewsoft.png
340KB, 632x461px
>>58556393
>free bloatnet
>>
I sometimes wish we weren't forced to use windows 10 at work because of the "free" upgrade and stayed at 7/8.
>>
>>58560661
Still idiotic anon. Regardless whether you learned anything or not. The fact that you don't do your research reinforces my statement. Lurk moar before posting.
>>
post yfw MS dies in your era
>>
>>58560574
Patrician as fuck.
>>
>>58556108
I never stopped using both but I will not go beyond 7 without drastic changes in microshit policy.
>>
>>58559869
Poo
>>
>>58556387
Redhat partnered with them and seem to still be doing fine. If you think the partnership with either has to do with the desktop market, then you don't understand what it is that Redhat and Canonical do, or for that matter what MS wants to do.

MS partnered with Redhat because Redhat controls a very large chunk of the server market. MS does too, albeit it's a smaller chunk, and Windows Server and RHEL are typically used for very different things, often side-by-side.

MS wanted to ensure that this remained the case, and thus worked with Redhat to make the two OSes play as nicely together as possible.

It's the same deal with Canonical, except instead of the physical server market it is a, if not the major player in the emerging cloud market. Like it or not cloud computing is the future. MS can't hope to take a significant piece of that market directly, because that boat has done sailed. Instead it's ensuring that it's products will be widely available on, and easy to use with any cloud service associated, or compatible with Canonical's.

Canonical benefits because integration and availability of Windows and Windows software with their own will be a major selling point for their commercial services, over competitors. MS hopes to remain viable and relevant, and Canonical hopes to be the undisputed king of the emerging cloud market.

It's win/win for both companies. Ubuntu will run the cloud itself, and Windows will run on that cloud. It's also a win for their clients, who get the benefit of having access to bleeding edge equipment, without the costs of purchasing and maintaining it, while at the same time not having to assume the costs of abandoning the Windows servers and workstations (or at least having to jump through unnecessary hoops to keep them) that they are so heavily invested in. The partnership is just the incentive to drive even more businesses to cloud computing.
>>
>>58556063
>is now trying a new approach by suggesting that continuing to use Windows 7 will inevitably lead to security issues for you as a user.

Well it's absolutely true
>>
>>58557946

Decided to turn that image into two .bat files and a .txt file with instructions, for the lazy among us.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31418992/W7TelemetryRemoval.7z
>>
File: OS Marketshare.png (67KB, 1165x690px) Image search: [Google]
OS Marketshare.png
67KB, 1165x690px
>windows 8 comes out
>it has shit nobody asked for
>windows 8.1 comes out
>it has shit nobody asked for covering what people asked for
>windows 10
>it has shit people asked for combined with shit nobody asked for

Microsoft has utterly humiliated themselves this half decade.
>>
>>58563143
If everyone had just produced products with only what people asked for, we'd still be in the dark ages
>>
>>58563202
>If everyone had just produced products with only what people asked for, we'd still be in the dark ages

Oh yeah, the people who asked for stronger houses, better clothes, and cleaner cities really held us back.
>>
>>58563226
People didn't ask for stronger houses, better clothes or cleaner cities. They were given it even though they thought at the time that what they had was just fine because they didn't know anything better was an option.
Thread posts: 193
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.