[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fastest way to Learn C++

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: CPlusPlus.jpg (36KB, 433x455px) Image search: [Google]
CPlusPlus.jpg
36KB, 433x455px
What's the fastest way for me to learn the basics of C++? I already know Java and Python.

So far I've looked at learnxinyminutes.com and the book Accelerated C++. Is there anything else?
>>
tour of c++

learn everything you can about move semantics and smart pointers and operator overloading and passing by value vs reference
>>
>>58552889

Honestly, read through beginner docs so you make sure you know what C++ has to offer and its syntax.

Java is a wannabe C++, and has more features and a different approach. It'll help you more to learn C++. Python is so abstracted that it's hard to compare it with C++ directly.

Just go to a site like this:

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Read through it. See that C++ doesn't support newfangled shit like foreach or dictionary data types and shit. It's really basic compared to lots of stuff today. However, that basic nature makes it incredibly powerful. The only step further for performance would to be to write in straight assembler.
>>
pro-tip: ignore unemployed geezers like>>58553635 who still claim in the current year that "C++ doesn't support newfangled shit like foreach"

Try to find resources that focus on C++14 or C++17, as those revisions to the language made it a bit easier to learn (and a lot more tolerable to work with). This book is breddy gud:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920033707.do
>>
>>58553320
I can second this, though I'll add I feel stupid having bought this seeing as it's basically just an abbreviated excerpt of a single chapter from the Stroustrup's real book on C++ which costs $10 more.
>>
>>58553635
>foreach

Range based for has been in since C++11

>dictionary data types

...have been in the standard library for ages.
>>
>>58553635
I was fucking around with C++ on HackerRank and LeetCode for a while. Local compile errors make scored web platforms appealing if you are a n00b (on maybe not on Linux). This is fine for Project Euler problems were all code is in a single text file but doesn't really scale and your learning experience can easily devolve into a pissing match with a bunch of IIT students.

The stuff you can't easily learn online are the memory management, version control, and numerical analysis issues associated with real work. You can easily go from Hello World! to pathological gradient descent problems in Armadillo within a month. If you only have /g/ and StackOverflow for support then studying a complied, legacy, science-leaning language would be similar to ripping out pubic hair one filament at a time.
>>
>>58553736

Shows how long I've been out of the game. C++11 does indeed have a foreach equivalent, it seems.

A STD lib class != native data type. C++ has no native data type like a dictionary.
>>
>>58553841
>C++ has no native data type like a dictionary.

Why would you think something like this ought to be built into the language itself?
>>
>>58553976
Because the moron is an idiot.
>>
>>58552889

Discovering Modern C++: An Intensive Course for Scientists, Engineers, and Programmers by Gottschling
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.