[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain computers and the internet to an educated person from 1880.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: 1482192994921.png (58KB, 2760x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1482192994921.png
58KB, 2760x2000px
Explain computers and the internet to an educated person from 1880.
>>
dumb frogposter
>>
they are basically robots
>>
>>58549162
computer is magic
>>
Metal box with a window on one side, a slim typewriter infront of it. Magic book inside the box that show imagery and text that can contact other Metal boxes around the whole world with with the written text inside the box's book.
>gets hanged for witchcrafting later that day.
Why even bother.
>>
>>58549247
you explain how a person computer looks and what it does, not how computers actually work.
also
>1880
>witchcraft hanging
>>
File: squa.jpg (105KB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
squa.jpg
105KB, 950x950px
sometimes in the afternoon i lay down and think about what Thomas Jefferson would have done with a computer or a cell phone or just Microsoft Excel. Then 20 hours passes and I realize I need water.
>>
>>58549185
is there any other kind of frogposter?
>>
You know Charles Babbage's computer? We discovered a way to make those but much more quickly and cheaply using small devices called transistors that run on electricity. An analogy might be the way the printing press can quickly print books that would have taken monks days to hand write. In this way very large complex machines can be made that are small enough and affordable enough for the average person.

These miniaturized computers can perform lengthy calculations and perform tasks like producing images on a board containing many small electric lights. Businesses called software companies figure out the calculations needed to peform such functions.

This combined with the telegraph enables the computers to communicate with each other in a system called the internet.
>>
WE WUZ PROGRAMMERS N SHEEEIT
>>
>>58549328
doesn't explain how the computing works :)
>>
Most people don't know that a computer's cornerstone is not the CPU. It is the Memory. This is because the entire reason of the existence of the Processor was to process the available data that already existed.

That how an explanation to computers should start and how I was first taught about it by a good book I once had on it.

First came the memory, and it was good, and someone had to manipulate said memory, the computer, bit by bit.
>>
>>58549451
>Charles Babbage's computer
>computing
>educated person
>>
>>58549451
they already knew how computing works
>>
>>58549162
Sorta like those programmable looms and mechanical calculators, except the switches are tiny and electric and they can communicate with each other using a form of telegraphy.

These wonders of science and technology are used for posting frogs and other utter shit, possibly while masturbating.
>>
>>58549162
There are good things. There are bad things. And there are things that should never be talked about.
>>
File: HollerithMachine.CHM.jpg (2MB, 2755x2066px) Image search: [Google]
HollerithMachine.CHM.jpg
2MB, 2755x2066px
>>58549162
>Explain computers and the internet to an educated person from 1880.

Hi. I'm from the future, so hold on to your hat because you're in for a ride.

As you may know, the data collection for the 1880 United States Census has just been completed. You may perhaps also have read in the newspaper that this year, for the first time, they have allowed women to work as enumerators. What you don't know, is that it will take the US Census Bureau 8 years to process the data.

A decade from now, in 1890, there will be another census. But right as we speak, a guy named Herman Hollerith is working tirelessly on a new invention; a machine, "the tabulating machine", that can process census data much faster than what humans can. With this machine, it will take the Census Bureau six years to process the 1890 census data.

Over the next coming decades, machines such as this will be made all over the US. They will be called "record equipment", and a whole industry surrounding them will emerge and eventually be called the "data processing industry".

Herman Hollerith and his machine will eventually "evolve", I'm sure you're familiar with that term, into a company called International Business Machines (IBM), which will go on to produce extremely sophisticated data processing machines. IBM machines will eventually play a vital role in seeing the first man land safely on the surface of the moon, but that's a story for another time.
>>
Just fuckin' slap your head on your keyboard and in no time you'll be masturbating.
>>
>>58550139
And a person who you will be talking to will be a rich motherfucker who invested in IBM.

~~The End
>>
>>58549162
This has been done to death for the past few decades, no point in any of us wasting time to write anything real down.

But tl;dr computers and the internet at their most basic level are just small and complicated filing cabinets. And the internet is just a filing cabinet everyone in the world has access to simultaneously.
>>
>>58550180
Assuming he lives another 80 years.
>>
A magic collection of the sum total of the world's knowledge, accessible from any place and time.
Also, lots and lots of pictures of naked women.
>>
>>58549185
he's a toad, not a frog
>>
An electric machine that operates on data tables.
>>
A glass box that answers my questions.
>>
A computer is a machine created for the purpose of the calculation of large numbers.

These internet is a method which allows these machines to communicate with one another and exchange data.
>>
Basically a library of everything, but people won't be quiet when you ask them
>>
>>58549162
Hello Mr past man. Computer is stupid. Computer is stubborn. Computer is liar. Computer have Input process output. Computer always changing...
that's what my Java 1 professor from Korea says.. Verbatim.
>>
>>58551441
Verbatim?
>>
>>58551491
Yes, sexy boy
>>
>>58549162
Computers are complex electrical machines that are capable of processing information using logical calculations done on a series of very small transistors. And it can graphically present that information to the user, using a screen made of thousands of very small colored lamps.

The internet is a huge network of computers, communicating with each other at very high speeds using electric signals to represent information.
>>
>>58549162
You know Babbage? Yeah, his invention starts using electricity and a lot less cogs. In fact, it gets a type writer attached to it and a screen which displays interactive, animated objects.
>>
File: newton.jpg (85KB, 329x518px) Image search: [Google]
newton.jpg
85KB, 329x518px
>>58549247
>Why even bother.
you don't think this nigga would've understood even the most nitty-gritty details? and he was from the 1700's
>>
>>58549569
intelligence does not require memory
>>
>>58551778
I doubt it. He would just babble about how it's the device of god or something.
>>
>>58550180
>listening to a guy who says he comes from the future
>>
You could use analogies.
It would most likely end up being a never ending stream of questions for about a year. You could probably answer all the questions the person could have or think of what they might ask. You might have to bring physical explanations of how these things work like a simple electrical circuit with the intent to explain where electricity comes from and how it is a form of energy. It would be made easier if you brought with you the in between devices leading up to yours, I would probably have to research those if I didn't have the ability to bring them with me.
>>
>>58551778
I don't know about Newton, but people in 1880 ( depending on where they lived and their $$$ ) had everyday contact with electricity.
If you explained to some electrical engineer what was a transistor and how it worked, he wouldn't have a hard time understanding computers.
We tend to think that people in the past were generally dumb, but thats not really the case at all.
>>
>>58551926
Middle ages, but that wasn't their fault.
>>
It's a device that uses electricity to switch lots of small levers.
You can input text to instruct the machine when to send the electricity to which levers.
With sufficient textual instructions the machine can automate the job, based on your instructions, and operate the levers by itself.

The position of the levers decides what image is displayed on a window.
It also tends to come with a typewriter so people can easily input new instructions.

This machine is often used to relay and store communication.
>>
>>58549162
No adult would possibly believe me. I'd prefer explaining to a kid.
>>
>>58549328
>>58550006
>>58550139
>>58551669
>>58551887
>>58551959
Only /g/ would actually fall for this shitpost
>>
>>58549328
>Using monks as a comparison to contemporary printers
>In 1880

American education.
>>
A computer is a typewriter can send information to your friend's computers.
>>
>>58552396
>>58552396
I can't read, sorry.
>>
You know adding machines?
Imagine one of those but really fast
>>
>>58552393
What?
>>
>>58549162
The Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.
>>
>>58549162
kill the jews
>>
>>58549162
It's a calculator that uses electricity, operated through a typewriter hooked up to a board of dots that can change color in order to present information. We've been making them more compact over time, to the point where they can perform billions of calculations in a relatively short period of time. A bunch of them are connected with wires and/or radio waves in order to exchange information or provide services to others. This form of technology is gradually starting to replace things like the postal service, advertising, communication and entertainment.

Not that hard. Try the 1400s.
>>
>>58549162
>computers
A versatile, general-purpose machine that using the concepts of Boolean algebra can process, manipulate, and generate any kind of information that can be conveyed numerically to solve a wide range of problems based on how it is instructed by its operator.

>the internet
A vast, world-spanning network of inter-connected computers storing and exchanging a wide variety of information in standardized ways.
>>
>>58549162
If he's really educated then you tell him its alchemy where you transform thoughts into electricity so they can travel really fast around the world and be transformed into thoughts again for anyone to see and feel. They can be copied any n times so that anyone can receive one original thought send through the internet.
>>
>>58552396
ARE YOU RETARDED, GOOD SIR?
>>
>>58551778
Let this kid explain it all to him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-74qPWgoBI
>>
>explain computers
What do you want me to explain? How computation is does? What a computer is comprised of? Programming languages? Electricity? What do you want?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.