[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 37

File: a gnu.jpg (85KB, 648x348px) Image search: [Google]
a gnu.jpg
85KB, 648x348px
Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: >>>/t/749768#
Part I: http://archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
>>>/t/713097

/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: >>>/wg/6785580
Part II: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Previous thread >>58533518
>>
>>58548739
first for kek
>>
If I want to sync my user settings between two computers, a desktop and a laptop, and both use KDE (one openSUSE Leap 42.2 and one Debian Stretch), I should be using Unison, yeah?

What folders should I sync? I'm assuming only /home, but which folders therein apart from the obvious like Documents?
.config;emacs;.emacs.d;.mozila;.gnupg;.bashrc;.gconf;.kde;.vim;.unison?

.unison seems like it might be a problem but I don't know what's in it yet
bin seems bad since some things in Debian's repos aren't in openSUSE's

Also, is there anything I should keep in mind? Is it bad form to set up a cron job to do it once a day or something when I'm at home?
>>
Does the Debian CD 1 contain Lxqt? Is there any way to tell what comes on the CDs or DVDs?
>>
>>58549024
Are you... talking about physical disks?
>>
Vim is better than Emacs.
>>
>>58549089
Well I tend to use mkusb and flash ISOs to a USB drive
There are multiple ISOs on their site, CD1,2,3 etc. Or the DVD but I would rather not put that on my USB.
>>
>>58549005
Personally I wouldn't sync anything that I don't understand very well and know exactly why I want it synced.
You mentioned .mozilla for example. Why?
What aspect of .mozilla is it that you want to carry over, is it just bookmarks or something? Then find out exactly where inside .mozilla that the bookmarks are stored and sync that file/directory

There's no point in syncing the whole thing, like plugins and stuff. Just download the same plugins on the other machine manually it's not a big deal and is much less likely to cause trouble.

Unless you're in a hurry I don't see why you can't start slow. Sync some stuff, realize some files/settings aren't being synced that you want to be synced, figure out how to make it work for that file/setting in particular, repeat.
>>
>>58548739
is that gnu peeing from his ass?
>>
>>58549294
yes , problem ?
>>
>>58549243
.mozilla was honestly something I was also doubtful about, but Stylish CSS (I've disabled updates), userscripts, passff configuration, about:config changes, etc. were things I wanted to transfer over and I wasn't really sure if there'd be any issue, but in hindsight I realized I use Dev Edition on Debian and stable on openSUSE, so that'd be dumb to sync without thought

You're completely right though, I'll go slow and sync one folder at a time, when I realize I'm missing some things I'd like to have on both.

Any good tips though? I've heard the documentation is good so I'll give that a look-through, but anything I might wanna keep in mind other than what can be found there?

Thanks for the very reasonable reminder to not be stupid and go ham, there's just a lot to take in, so I sometimes get a bit antsy
>>
When should I (if ever) learn Perl?
>>
>>58549349
You shouldn't. There are far better languages these days. I think the only reason anyone used to learn Perl was because it was the only available scripting language for a long time on Linux. Use Python or even Ruby or do what the clever people are doing and learn Rust or Go. But fuck Perl.
>>
>>58549393
>Rust or Go is for clever people

>not using LISP, Language Intrinsic to Smart People
>>
>>58549322
Not really.

I guess the only "tip" I might have is something I do with unison, but I'm not sure if this is better at all, I just do it because although I started with all my machines using the same settings/distros I eventually started trying mixtures.
So instead of making my script actually sync configuration files I just have it sync a ".cfgfiles" directory.
Then when I setup a new machine it gets that directory and I can manually decide which ones are appropriate for this particular machine and make the system use symlinks to that directory.
(e.g. if I want .vimrc on this machine I'll turn ~/.vimrc into a symlink to ~/.cfgfiles/.vimrc

Alternatively I guess you could just make a more complex script for syncing across all your machines. Whatever floats your boat.
>>
>>58549463
Only nigger jews should learn a shitty Jew-designed language that only retards use
>>
>>58549481
That's pretty smart, but I only have two computers and only intend to have two at any given time, so I dunno if it'd be useful for me personally, but the idea itself is great.
>>
>>58549523
From the redundancy there, I suspect you code in Java.
In that case, continue, my good goyim. You are an asset to society. Show those filthy Juden the what-for with your capitalist submission :^)
>>
>>58549349
when you want to get some specific task done on *nix, it's easy to write a quick Perl script to accomplish it. it excels at regular expressions and string manipulation.
you can also write web applications in it; there are even modern MVC frameworks for Perl 5. although I'd probably use Python or PHP for that purpose, even though I like Perl.

>>58549393
there's nothing wrong with Perl, friend, unless you want to write object-oriented code for whatever reason.
>>
>>58549531
It's not like it's hard to change anyway if you do decide to later.
But just another example of why I do it that way (because I actually only have 2 machines right now too a desktop and a laptop). On my laptop I want my i3status to have a battery indicator and a wireless interface indicator. On my desktop I don't, so those two need separate config files but I also want them to be backed up so I don't lose them.

So the actual config files are symlinked to ~/.cfgfiles/i3status_config_desktop and ~/.cfgfiles/i3status_config_laptop
If I got a new laptop then I could just have it use the laptop config. But all my machines would still have all the same files, so I never lose anything.
>>
>>58549552
No, I'm not that much of a goy (notice singular, it helps to know the kike grammar) that I limit myself to a single language. Only nu-male faggots and Pajeets do that. I can write code in pretty much any language.
>>58549574
It's shit because there are better alternatives. It's like saying it's okay to write in Forth because it's an okay language. Nah fuck off.
>>
Does gentoo have the equinox desktop environment?
>>
>>58549834
>using a "desktop environment"
just use dwm
>>
Just had Windows 10 restart on me after telling it to try me later. Happened in the middle of programming and I think I've had enough.

I'm not looking for something high maintenance, I do generally JS, C# (.NET Core) and python development. I was thinking ElementaryOS might be a decent place to start, is there much of an opinion one way or another right now for it?
>>
>>58549834
https://packages.gentoo.org/ and if it not there look up overlays if you want it badly enough compile from source
>>
>>58550050
>ElementaryOS
stop right there criminal scum

the only contenders for beginner distros are:
Ubuntu
Debian
Fedora

in order of ease of installation and support
anyone new should just be directed straight to fucking Ubuntu

and use the main version of Ubuntu, not the faggot variants. now go and install it you dipshit.
>>
What's the best WM/DE for gentoo?
>inb4 CDE
>>
I'm going to reinstall Arch tomorrow, and I'm going to symlink dotfiles and git them to have a somehow clean home folder.

What I want to know is, where do you guys store local programs that you don't install with your package manager? Where do you save temp files that you want to work on for several days?

Say I clone a couple of git reps. I don't want to clutter /home, so I was thinking of putting them in ~/tools and symlink the binaries to the ~/bin folder. And I'd make a ~/various folder to use as a workspace. Any thoughts? How do you do it?
>>
>>58550264
what ever you like nothing is good or bad
>>
>>58549005
Most distros .bashrc will read .bash-aliases if it exists. You can also put variables and functions in it as well.
i.e. if .bashrc contains something like
if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
. ~/.bash_aliases
fi

More portable and less likely to accidentally your .bashrc
Other settings like .conf or .kde are sometimes even uncompatible between old-new versions of the same distro.
I've had no probs with .mozilla .thunderbird .gimpxxx .Xresources .vimrc .inputrc .compton.conf
>>
>>58550460
*.bash_aliases*
>>
>>58550196
What's wrong with elementaryOS apart from being designed by and for faggots? What's wrong with being a faggot who likes faggoty DEs?

Is there an actual issue with it or do you just not like the idea of people enjoying fruity design
>>
>>58550196
>use the main version of Ubuntu
>recommending fucking Unity over literally anything else
Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, anything is superior to "main" Ubuntu

Unless you mean derivatives like Mint and SteamOS, then I agree
>>
>>58550460
>>58549603
Setting up my desktop to be an ssh-server seems more involved than I assumed, bit surprising honestly
>>
>>58550970
you should use rsync and ssh is not hard to set up
>>
>>58551045
Why use rsync instead of unison?
And nothing in the history of anything was ever hard when you know what you were supposed to do. Finding out what needs to be done is the issue here. Best practices etc.

As far as I can tell it's not much worse than generating an ssh key, copying the public key onto my server, adding it to a list and then tada?
But making sure I don't fuck something up when I'm exposing my desktop to the wild is fairly worrying
>>
any idea why
bindsym exec $mod+Print scrot -e 'mv $f ~pics/scrot'
works but
bindsym exec $mod+Shift+Print scrot -s -e 'mv $f ~pics/scrot'
doesn't, despite working from the command line?

It doesn't enter interactive mode to select a window at all.
>>
>>58551106
disclaimer: obviously I'm putting exec after the keys
>>
>>58551106
$mod+Print might be bounded to something else.
>>
>>58551232
mod+print works but mod+shift+print doesn't, and doesn't appear to do anything.
>>
>>58551070
>But making sure I don't fuck something up when I'm exposing my desktop to the wild is fairly worrying
just disabling password auth (use public keys) will be plenty for any normal home use
>>
>>58551070
rsync provides the same functionality and is well documented. also i guarantee you already have it installed.

even if you know what to do something can be hard. and finding out things is only difficult if you consider reading difficult and or finding that information to read.
>>
>>58551295
>>58551070
-- and if you're wondering why public keys

pros:
- more secure, nobody's going to be able to guess or dictionary/brute attack your key
- when transferring keys, only the public part actually goes over the wire, so even if it's picked up while you're setting up, it won't compromise the completed setup
- if say, your phone gets stolen, you can just remove the phones' public key from the server, making it so the phone can't log in, and won't expose anything important about the server, unlike if a password was stored on the phone

cons:
- the keys are too long to remember like a password, so you can't log in to your server unless you have a key file with you
>>
>>58551070
and since you sound like you are some what worried about security why do you not start ssh only when you need to use it
>>
File: giphy_3.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
giphy_3.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>58550459
>what ever you like nothing is good or bad
>>
>>58551305
Something you know how to do is not hard because you know how to do it, meaning how to act such that the act is performed.

Knowing how to do it in principle, or knowing what's supposed to happen, or having a vague idea of the proper method by which something should be done, is not knowing how to do it.

At most a task can become time-consuming, but even if it takes a trillion years to do by hand, that's still a trivial solution because you know how to do it, you just really don't want to, because it'll take too long.
>>
>>58551405
i do not think he need convincing on whether to use public keys or not. anyone who reads a simple article on ssh security will like have come across those points already
>>
>>58551411
See, my problem is I don't know before I look everything up, how to set it up so that ssh can only be started manually, and what the different caveats of the way everything hangs together are.
It's not really complex stuff I'd assume, but I'm starting from scratch more or less, I'm not really a computer-guy as much as I was just convinced by rms's ideals, as well as the fact that I find it more convenient to have things that are more or less immutable as long as I understand what I'm supposed to do. No finickity "helpers" mucking stuff up is really a godsend.
>>
>>58551455
i like to just go ahead and explain something before waiting to see if the person wants an explanation, as there are other people itt, and there's a chance someone else could find it useful as well
>>
>>58551411
running ssh only when you need it would defeat the purpose in most cases

if you want to do something on a remote machine, and ssh isn't already running, how will you start ssh?
>>
File: 1460657455763.png (31KB, 417x173px) Image search: [Google]
1460657455763.png
31KB, 417x173px
>>>/t/753327
>>
>>58551446
that is not true just because something is only time consuming does not make it easy if anything the time and effort required to do something defines it's difficulty
>>
>>58551530
oh i am leaving my house and i might as well start ssh or i need to do a backup or sync up might as well start up ssh. it is not inconceivable to do this. now if the remote machine is accessible then that makes sense to run it 24/7
>>
>>58551470
i understand. that is a nice thing to do
>>58551468
this might help you https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/vpns/discussion-ssh-secure-shell-729
>>
>>58551579
that sounds reasonable, but one day you'll forget or not think of something beforehand, then you'll be stuck away from your machine with no means to remotely access it
it completely sucks when you have a server sitting there somewhere else, on and connected to the internet, with a 200k document sitting on it but no way to actually go in a grab it

there are options such as fail2ban which can automatically block clients which constantly try and fail to log on, even if you just use (good) passwords, rather than public keys, this should be enough to be comfortable with keeping ssh running
>>
>>58551760
indeed that is up to the other guy to remember i personally live ssh running all the time
>>
I've used Arch for a while and I'm using Mint 18 right now. I'm still a linux noob/plebian.

How can I set up an install for .net C# dev? I was looking at VS Code and it looks pretty good but I don't really feel like setting up the debugger with my rather messy current install of Mint.

How do you guys keep your shit manageable and clean? From using mint for a while it bothers me that I have so much default programs on my computer that I don't use.
>>
File: mfwscreentearing.jpg (63KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
mfwscreentearing.jpg
63KB, 633x758px
Anybody have experience fixing screen tearing issues? I'm using Xubuntu 16.04 with a Broadwell Intel processor + integrated graphics and I can't get vsync working. I already installed the right drivers using the installer program they have for Ubuntu and edited my configuration in /etc/share/X11/xorg.conf.d with the following:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

I also tried turning off the compositor, including the "synchronize to vertical blank" setting and still got nothing.
>>
>>58551925
either do a bare bones install or debloat your system
>>
>>58551980
Does the xorg log say anything about actually having enabled tearfree?
>>
>>58552002
I'm not seeing anything about it mentioned in the log file, which I didn't know existed. I found this however:

[     3.873] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[ 3.874] (==) No Layout section. Using the first Screen section.
[ 3.874] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[ 3.874] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[ 3.874] (**) | |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[ 3.875] (==) No device specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
Using the first device section listed.
[ 3.875] (**) | |-->Device "Intel Graphics"
[ 3.875] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
Using a default monitor configuration.

Not exactly sure if that's related to the problem or not
>>
>>58552039
Try
grep -e TearFree <xorg log file>

returning something like
[    29.538] (**) intel(0): Option "TearFree" "true"
[ 29.539] (**) intel(0): TearFree enabled
>>
>>58552107

Just tried that but it didn't return anything. I also did a grep for "intel" on the log and found this:

[     5.908] (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 5.908] (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
[ 5.908] (II) Unloading intel
[ 5.908] (II) Failed to load module "intel" (already loaded, 21873)

Maybe it's not recognizing the driver?
>>
In wine I am playing WoW, but every time I want to play I have to make sure to restart my computer and not open any programs that use sound. The problem is I can't use alsa and pulseaudio at the same time and I can't switch wine to pulseaudio for some reason.

If I don't close WoW i cant even watch youtube videos.

im on ubuntu 14.04
>>
>>58552145
Looks more like it is being loaded twice, though I am admittedly not in expert in these matters.

What file did you edit/create to load the intel driver? Has it been specified elsewhere in an existing conf file?
>>
>>58551980
lel I was dealing with this earlier. I installed compton for use with i3 which helped but I was still getting minor tearing/flickering while scrolling on firefox. I tried messing around with 20-intel.conf but I was getting 'Bad Window (Invalid Window Parameter)' errors popping up everywhere (I hadn't rebooted either). In the end I just turned smooth scrolling off in firefox which fixed it. I'm not seeing much (if any) in the way of tearing on videos which is nice (though I haven't tested it enough), so it appears as though compton is doing a good enough job on its own.
>>
>>58552198
pulseaudio runs on top of alsa.
the statement that you can't use both at the same time makes no sense.

since wow is an incredibly popular game I'm willing to bet that playonlinux (a management software for wine) has a preset for it that works, you should try it out
>>
>>58552256
I have actually been dicking with the playonlinux presets for WoW for quite a few hours already, and they were working for me.

I eventually got it to work in my regular wine perfectly, except i cant do ANYTHING sound related while playing WoW.

Also I don't really understand how Linux sound works, all I know is when wine uses winepulse.drv in the audio tab stuff does work, and when it says winealsa.drv it doesnt.
>>
>>58552233
The file I created is the one here >>58551980 and there doesn't seem to be another .conf file related to Xorg in the directory

>>58552247
I'll try this real quick
>>
I need some tool to test my webapp security, on windows i use acunetix but now im on arch

i tried to use w3af but shit aint working good, any suggestions?
>>
>been three years since I tried Arch, figure I'll give it a second glance
>need a package from AUR for my laptop's BCM4318 wireless adapter
>curl it
>extract
>makepkg
>error: oh yeah, you can't makepkg as root
>--asroot
>can no longer makepkg --asroot
for what purpose?
>>
What packages can't you live without?
>>
>>58552294
>>58552247 here. I was interested to see whether TearFree was enabled, so I just looked through my xorg log file and it is enabled.

I had been getting errors immediately after writing my 20-intel.conf file, though I thought I would need to reboot to see the effects. So I deleted the conf file and the errors went away. It appears as though TearFree was enabled all along.

Whether that is the default of the Fedora maintained driver package I'm using, or whether I somehow enabled it ages ago and forgot about it, I don't know (my xorg.conf.d was empty aside from a keyboard configuration file).

I was using GNOME (on X) before and I remember one instance where the screen tearing was really bad (connecting my laptop to a TV and streaming a tv show through it), so I'll have to recreate those conditions to be sure, but for now it looks like the compositor is more important than having TearFree enabled.
>>
>>58552294
Hm, do you have an /etc/X11 folder? You could try putting it in the xorg.conf in the X11 directory-- that's where mine ended up when it worked. Try it out and see if it loads anything from that configuration file with:
grep -e "Using config" <log>
>>
>>58552423
Probably so, I just had a huge tearing problem on xfce/xfwm and found that enabling that made it go away-- though there were also some sync to vblank options in various GUI panels.

They didn't help by themselves though-- but the TearFree got it for me.

Go figure.
>>
>>58552408
vim
>>
>>58552339
sudo -u someoneelse makepkg
>>
>>58552408
mpv
>>
>>58552408
systemd
>>
>>58552408
grub2
>>
>>58552408
screenfetch
>>
>>58549294
It's a female. That's how females pee
>>
>>58553072
why don't they use their penis?
>>
How can I make redshift work only for my laptop screen? I don't want it to color my hdmi output/monitor.
>>
File: 20170118_214153.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170118_214153.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
WHY THE FUCK WON'T THIS WORK?
>>
>>58553207
jews
>>
>>58553207
it looks like you used a filesystem for that partition that grub-install doesn't like. also what distro is that?
>>
>>58553294
>>>>(((gentoo)))
What file system does grub like?
>>58553271
Naturally
>>
>>58553207
probably just residual data being picked up
you're not actually using ufs2, right?
just use --skip-fs-probe like it suggests

your partition layout looks fine, nothing important should get in the way
>>
>>58553207
You formatted your disk with a GPT, you'll need MBR partitioning to use good ol' GRUB.
>>
>>58553207
tell it you won't buy tendies.
some anonymous here told me that andit actually worked!
>>
>>58553335
that's not true
>>
>>58553316
Should I just use -s and --force then?
>>58553335
It was the same with a MBR
>>
>>58553358
does it happen to be a blank disk? (as in, you don't mind blanking it)

to avoid this and future residual data detections, you could zero the disk or use wipefs to erase magic numbers

or just understand errors and use force where needed to ignore them

repartitioning a disk that had stuff on it before can lead to arbitrary data showing up in unusual offsets, which can fool some programs into detecting it as being something else
>>
>>58553310
i thought you were supposed to leave the grub partition unformatted.

on a related note
I also just recently as in 2 hours ago learned that it will shit itself if you try to use anything other than a fat type fs for uefi install when you use a seperate boot partition. I overlooked the part in the handbook where it was explicitly stated.
This is day 3 of me fucking up my install because something in the handbook failed to grab my attention. I'm fucking pissed.
>>
>>58553207
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=10

That will clean your disk, literally. So don't have anything on it.
>>
>>58553335
bios booting a gpt disk with grub is pretty simple, just make a small 1-2M partition of type EF02 (BIOS Boot) and install grub normally
grub will use that partition automatically to place a component needed to boot gpt disks with a bios

i do this myself, too (even though none of my disks are >2TB, i like being able to make more than 4 partitions if i need to)
>>
>>58553439
>>58553463
Okay, if force installing grub2 doesn't work, then I'll just reformat the disk and start installing gentoo for the third time this week
>>
>>58553439
>i thought you were supposed to leave the grub partition unformatted.
the ef02 partition will be overwritten by grub, it doesn't need to be formatted

>2 hours ago learned that it will shit itself if you try to use anything other than a fat type fs for uefi install
FAT32 for the ESP partition is a hard requirement of UEFI
if you used something else, you can just tar up the contents, format, and extract the tar back
>>
>>58553463
Would that fuck up an SSD?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170118_221000.png (149KB, 877x972px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170118_221000.png
149KB, 877x972px
Post your fonts.conf. Here's the one someone else posted a couple threads ago, it really improved my font rendering! Now freetype2 looks ALMOST as good as default infinality. However, I am still getting a really strange effect in libreoffice. It almost looks like chromatic aberration. Anyone know what I can do to fix this final little problem?

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
<fontconfig>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="autohint"> <bool>true</bool></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="hinting"> <bool>false</bool></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter"> <const>lcddefault</const></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle"> <const>hintslight</const></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="antialias"> <bool>true</bool></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="rgba"> <const>rgb</const></edit>
</match>

<match target="font">
<test name="pixelsize" qual="any" compare="more"><double>15</double></test>
<edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter"><const>lcdlight</const></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle"><const>hintnone</const></edit>
</match>

<match target="font">
<test name="weight" compare="more"><const>medium</const></test>
</match>

<match target="font">
<test name="slant" compare="not_eq"><double>0</double></test>
</match>

>>
File: Screenshot_20170118_221301.png (126KB, 1619x678px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170118_221301.png
126KB, 1619x678px
>>58553556
Also the text on 4chan looks really small. I don't remember it being quite this small, though I could have a bad memory.
>>
>>58553527
>FAT32 for the ESP partition is a hard requirement of UEFI
>if you used something else, you can just tar up the contents, format, and extract the tar back
It's a little late for that. I'll nail it this time though.
>>
>>58553556
speaking of fonts, anyone have any idea why most text doesn't render in wine unless i completely disable scalable fonts?
it's been going on since freetype >2.6.0 (quite some time now)
i'm sure it's something stupid but i can't find anyone with a similar problem
>>
>>58551980
>Anybody have experience fixing screen tearing issues?
>xfce
I use compton.
compton -cCzG -t-3 -l-5 -r4 --config /dev/null --backend glx --unredir-if-possible

>>
>>58553593
if you start from scratch every time you run into a snag, you'll spend forever on it and won't learn any troubleshooting methods

i understand you probably want your result to be "first time" and therefore "clean", but you'll just need to get over that
>>
File: wine audio.jpg (50KB, 423x473px) Image search: [Google]
wine audio.jpg
50KB, 423x473px
>>58552198
bump for a helpful answer.

im on xubuntu 14.04 and wine 1.8
>>
>>58553605
>>58551980
Use a real DE like KDE or GNOME3, problem solved.
>>
>>58553628
try this;
~/.asoundrc
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave { pcm "pulse" }
}

pcm.pulse {
type pulse
}

ctl.mixer0 {
type hw
card 0
}
>>
>>58553671
how do I try that?
>>
>>58553681
how do you make a text file?
>>
quick question, is playing on wine any different than windows? is it slower?

I use windows because I need VS, Netbeans, Office as well as for gayms. What's a good alternative OS that would let me do those things?
>>
>>58553686
err just make a find in / called .asoundrc?
>>
>>58553691
file*
>>
>>58553691
do this;
open a terminal, and run
nano ~/.asoundrc

then copy/pase the contents of the code tags above into that
then press ctrl+o, then enter, then ctrl+x
>>
>>58553689
windows
>>
>>58553712
didn't work : (
>>
File: 1473595483044.png (33KB, 500x704px) Image search: [Google]
1473595483044.png
33KB, 500x704px
Any Arch masters on tonight?

I have a git repo that I'd like to turn into a package. Instead of just doing the make && make install I'd like to make it a package so it can be tracked and managed by yaourt/pacman.

How do I go about doing that? How do I go from a github repo to something that I can upload to AUR?
>>
>>58553758
pkgbuild
>>
Hi sorry I made the same question earlier but wasn't here to clarify and answer
I checked today and my computer takes 15s to boot and then it takes ~20s to GDM/GNOME 3 to set up and take me to the login screen
Naturally I'm considering changing desktop managers, is there a more lightweight one that doesn't need much configuration?
Last thread was dying but one person asked me if I was using systemd for the time, and yes I am
>>
Kernel: 4.4.41-1-MANJARO i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: Manjaro Linux
Audio: Card-1 Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2 C-Media Multimedia Headset [Gigaware by Ignition L.P.] driver: USB Audio
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.41-1-MANJARO

I'm using a chinese knockoff headset (http://amzn.com/B00SUUTSA0) and I don't know how to make the volume control buttons on the cable work. As of right now they "work" but they control the xfce volume mixer (I think) when I need them to control pulseaudio

Does anyone know how I can configure the volume up/down/mute/mute mic buttons to work through pulseaudio?
>>
>>58553758
write a pkgbuild
it's pretty simple, pretty much just fill in the blanks, and the package() section is just what you'd type to install it manually
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD

look at a few existing pkgbuilds to get an idea, then refer to the wiki for specifics when you need them

when you feel like you have something you want to put in the AUR itself, check out
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 512x288px
>>58553725
i see
>>
>>58553788
>>58553788
I doubt the display manager will make much difference. There are two factors here, before the log in and after. Before check the systemd services and disable any you don't want/need. For after login check what programs you have to autostart or what features of gnome are getting loaded (if it even has options for that?). Also check this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Improving_performance/Boot_process
>>
>>58553762
>>58553803
thanks anons! I'll give that a try.
>>
>>58553689
>is playing on wine any different than windows? is it slower?
different? maybe
slower? maybe
it depends on the program, every windows program depends on slightly different parts of windows, which are implemented to various degrees of accuracy in wine

differences range from works pretty much perfectly to not even starting
speed ranges from slightly faster to crawls

check out the appdb
>>
>>58553689
Much less compatible. Sometimes faster.
>>
>>58553799
You can manually assign them to amixer commands I suppose or try this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio#Keyboard_volume_control
>>
Anyone here using TP-Link TL-WN722N?

If yes, hows the perfomance?
>>
>>58553556
Your display may not have pixels laid out in rgb order. You might have to edit the subpixel rendering settings.
>>
>>58553886
That works perfectly, thank you very much.
>>
Alright so this might be a long post.
I've got debian installed to a flash drive and the system works fine. I wanted to try OpenELEC so I made a USB image of it and replaced the debian flash drive with this one. When I realized that I made a USB installer and not a live image, so I shut down and try to boot up into debian to make the installer on a different usb drive.
Computer won't boot, and it turns out that the UEFI entry for the debian OS was deleted or something.
Was able to restore it following instructions for grubEFIReinstall and then recreated the issue.
My understanding is that the UEFI entry was lost because I removed the flash drive. Can anyone else help me out with this? Is there a flag I need to set to stop this from happening? And what's to stop this from happening if someone were to do this with OS's installed on an HDD or SSD?
>>
File: 1481476731594.jpg (98KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481476731594.jpg
98KB, 400x400px
A guy today told me to ditch Xorg.conf and install Wayland. WTF? Isn't Wayland just a protocol? How the fuck do you "install wayland"???
>>
>>58553962
nah, it's RGB. At least according to one of those test images.
>>
>>58554225
firstly, install gentoo
>>
>>58548739
first time posting in fglt.

so im a long time arch user and just recently i realized i need access to a windows application. i ran stable wine and it didn't work at all so i deleted that and got the testing version. now i can actually boot the program but its so buggy its inoperable.

the console is rolling with fixmes. i downloaded a lot of the recommended libraries from arch wiki wine page.

if the program is missing core dlls how can i tell which ones to download using winetricks?
>>
>>58554264
oh and btw the poker software im trying to use literally says on their site they're extending support to my device when i go to their site but that is tedious and devs can only work so fast :(
>>
>>58554264
Shit like this is why I only mess around with Linux in VMs. It's virtually unusable as a main desktop OS.
>>
>>58554225
don't forget to install OpenGL as well
>>
>>58554306
well it was fine i mainly program and browse the web.

maybe i should just go about getting a vm and running windows through taht then the client idk im slowly getting the bugs riddled away on this wine app. soon i think itll be useable i mean an hour ago i couldnt eve get the app to work and now i have it up just kinda buggy.
>>
File: Selection_003.png (196KB, 607x460px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_003.png
196KB, 607x460px
>>58554306
This is the Friendly GNU/Linux thread. Not the "piss on linux users" thread.

>>58554225
You can't really ditch Xorg.conf. You can install Wayland though. Wayland is a replacement for X. A good way to try it is GNOME.

The current compositor is called Compton. It can also run X applications via xwayland.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wayland
TTBOMK, nothing like i3 or openbox supports it yet.
>>
File: notperfect.png (4KB, 530x436px) Image search: [Google]
notperfect.png
4KB, 530x436px
Font babby here, I'm back.
I've resolved most of my font issues in xterm with
XTerm*font: -*-proggycleanttsz-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*\
-*-open look glyph-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*\
-*-open look cursor-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

but I still have some complaints. First of all, the ACS_CKBOARD character does not render at all. Second, the line/box-drawing characters are not horizontally aligned. E.g. with ACS_PLUS, the right arm is shorter than the left arm. Pic related.
Perhaps someone knows of a Proggy font with line-drawing characters?
>>
>>58554612
his lips look like a vagina
>>
>>58554225
I assume it means "install a window manager, and other components, that use Wayland"
>>
>>58554657
why don't you use a real terminal program that speaks FreeType?
>>
>>58554314
how do you install OpenGL?
I can't find a package named opengl anywhere
>>
>>58554728
Becasue that wouldn't solve my issue and I'm otherwise happy with xterm.
>>
So I know that there's no catch all answer to this, but generally speaking what motherboard manufacturers are the most friendly towards Linux? Things are getting very exciting with virtualization, so I think with my next desktop build I will be just booting Linux and then into a Windows VM when needed.

I have years and years of experience with Linux on laptops with great success, and I imagine the two things I'm actively looking for are NIC and Audio card support in linux, but is there anything else special I need to keep in mind with desktop PCs and linux?
>>
File: perfect.png (6KB, 707x571px) Image search: [Google]
perfect.png
6KB, 707x571px
>>58554657
I have figured it out. For posterity:
-The solution I posed in the above post just defaults the font to "fixed" which is why certain line drawing characters were present
-Add the following to .Xresources:
XTerm*forceBoxChars: true
>>
>>58554958
I can attest for ASUS, but truth be told these days the shorter list is the one of stuff that WONT support linux.
>>
>>58553750
pulseaudio -k; wine <program>
>>
File: 1454256788788.gif (914KB, 507x507px) Image search: [Google]
1454256788788.gif
914KB, 507x507px
Hey /g/, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?
>>
>>58555533
Android. you're probably already using it though
>>
File: 1478225351970.png (514KB, 629x871px) Image search: [Google]
1478225351970.png
514KB, 629x871px
What weather plugin/widget do you use?
The one that comes with XFCE is no longer accurate.
>>
>>58555721
I use the gnome extension for weather, but since you're probably not interested in switching environments, look into conky weather plugins, lots of docks also have weather plugins
>>
>>58555721
I look out of the window.
>>
>>58549024
I think CD 1 only has gnome, which is Debian default. Are you asking because you're installing Debian on a machine with no network access, and you will not be able to install lxqt using apt or manually?
>>
>>58550196
My first Linux was mint cinnamon. I was pleased until I got greedy and installed arch to be cool. Don't get regular Ubuntu. Xubuntu is noice. Kubuntu is pretty, but heavier on the system, Lubuntu is great for cheap computers.
>>
>>58550454
I don't. Whenever I want a package that isn't supported by either the maintainers or the AUR, I write my own PKGBUILD. ~/packaging/unsupported
Then, once it "works on my machine (TM)", I push that to the AUR, let pacman handle package management, as it should.
>>
>>58555742
I'm on manjaro with XFCE.
And yes I'm not looking to change DE.
Conky seems helpful but it looks complicated I'd prefer something minimal on my taskbar.

Isn't there a fix for the xfce weather pluging?
>>
>>58552339
Are you just always running as root? You should make a user account.
>>
>>58553087
No feminine bepis
>>
>>58553835
You said it's git? cp /usr/share/pacman/PKGBUILD-git.proto does half of the work for you.
>>
>>58555721
the one that comes with cinnamon. works fucking perfectly for me.
>>
>>58556133
interesting. PKGBUILD-git.proto is nowhere to be found on my install. any idea which package it comes from?
>>
>>58556179
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System
>>
Is the whole "Linux software installation is better than Windows" thing oversold? It still seems to involve a lot of online searching and adding packages from god knows where.
>>
>>58556202
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>58549005

>letting a program, someone else's program, do the syncing

Have fun when it eventually overrides something important or manually resolving conflicts. By then you could have done it manually anyway.
>>
>>58555533
go with something that has Cinnamon as DE. you have few to pick from.
>>
>>58556225
he said lightweight
>>
>>58552339

For what purpose would you run it as root?
It was explained why that change was made and you can look it up.
It seems to me that you have no idea what you're doing and now you're surprised that your stupid feature was removed.
>>
>>58556232
it is lightweight.
>>
>>58556241
a de is never lightweight
>>
>>58556253
What is LXDE?
>>
>>58554612

>compton
Uh uh. Weston.
It's not the "current", it's a reference implementation.
>>
>>58554314
>>58554746

That's the joke. Just like you can't install Wayland, you can't install OpenGL, but one of its "implementations".
>>
>>58553572

Your Infinality shit probably installed fonts and changed aliases, which means you're most likely using a different font now.

>>58553556

You don't have to use that fontconfig. There's a bunch of presets in /etc/fonts/conf.avail. You can symlink them to /etc/fonts/conf.d and restart your program to see the changes. Play around with some that might sound promising.
>>
>>58556253

Guess what your tiling window manager, with a taskbar, wallpaper setter, file manager, notification daemon, compositor, Conky and other shit is. A desktop environment.
>>
>>58556328
>Your Infinality shit probably installed fonts and changed aliases, which means you're most likely using a different font now.
nope, I've definitely been using noto sans the whole time.
>>
>>58556376
Not him but what makes you so sure?

You know fontconfig can do some pretty wacky stuff. One time I even decided I wanted 1 font to actually be a different font when the size got below 8 or above 22, but my system and firefox and everything had no clue about it, they all thought they were just using that 1 font and firefox would report using that font, but in actuality it was using something else.

The only way to really know is to plug in the actual font string (not just the one you think it is) used by the program into the command:
fc-match "fontName"
and see which file is used

If you're on Firefox you can do this by right-clicking a 4chan post and selecting "Inspect Element" then at the right side click the "Fonts" tab to see which font Firefox _thinks_ it's using. Then plug that font name into the fc-match command above to see which file is actually being used.
>>
>>58556340
>i'm so clever
>>
File: Screenshot_20170119_041236.png (161KB, 1640x801px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170119_041236.png
161KB, 1640x801px
>>58556456
So what does pic related mean? Is Firefox using Noto Sans or not? And if not, wat do I do to fix it? Here's my terminal output:
fc-match Arial
Fontconfig error: "/home/cdev/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 1: XML or text declaration not at start of entity
arial.ttf: "Arial" "Regular"
>>
>>58556511
4kids uses Arial
>>
>>58556511
It means 4chan posts for you are being rendered with arial.ttf, not Noto Sans.

Maybe if you fix that error fontconfig says you have in your fonts.conf it'll fix it?
>>
>>58556511
>>58556553
Adding to what I wrote.
That font settings page you have open looks like it's just the config for gtk, or qt or something. So that would just affect GUI menus, not Firefox. Firefox has it's own separate font settings.

But typically you only want to set a default font on your browser, you don't want to turn on the option to "force" it to use them, so websites can select their own fonts (4chan requests Arial)
>>
>>58556553
kek, the error message was probably caused by this:

>Hi All,
>I found out what was wrong.
>This line :
><?xml version="1.0"?>
>must be all the way to the left. I had started it with a space. It did not like that.
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2012-August/012620.html

Now I'm getting another dumb error:
>Fontconfig error: "/home/asdf/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 30: no element found
>>
>>58556599
Can I just ask what is it exactly that you want here?
Because 4chan is specifically requesting Arial, so firefox isn't going to listen to your default fonts it's going to ask your system for Arial.

If you want to change the outcome your options are:
1) Go into firefox font settings and tell it to "force" everything to use your default fonts, ignoring the fonts requested by all websites
2) Remap Arial to NotoSans in your fontconfig
3) Go into 4chan settings > Miscellaneous > Custom CSS and add the line:
.post{font-family:"Noto Sans";}
>>
>>58556624
oh, also if you do option (3) you might want to first check what output you get from:
fc-match "Noto Sans"
If it's the right file then you're golden
>>
>>58556624
>Can I just ask what is it exactly that you want here?
Well I guess I just started wondering about my fonts because someone brought up the firefox inspector earlier, because I said I've been using Noto Sans the whole time.

>>58556634
Yeah that gives the right file. I also got rid of all the error messages, but I bet it didn't matter.
>>
File: 349.png (66KB, 915x541px) Image search: [Google]
349.png
66KB, 915x541px
>>58556685
Well your Arial does look slightly squished (compared to how my Arial font is rendering). But I'm using infinality and you said you turned it off right? So maybe that's it.
The size appears roughly the same, but just a little squished like I said. Pic related is how it looks for me
>>
>>58556746
Hm, well I guess I'll live. I had to remove infinality because it was giving me a crazy KDE error "could not start kdeinit5." I would have just updated it, but there was some key authentication problem so I was putting it off. I heard freetype2 was finally up to par, and it *nearly* is. I think it comes down to your configs. However the Fedora people do it makes it look great, since I have no problems with ootb Fedora font rendering, but Manjaro (and probably arch) with KDE is a different story.
>>
> go to work
> don't feel like programming just yet
> eh I'll upgrade mpv before getting started
> uninstall
> clone mpv build script
> $ ./update
> starts cloning ffmpeg at less than 100 KiB/s
OH WELL
>>
>>58557090
20 KiB/s now
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Why do copying larger files is getting gradually slower over the time? If I copy 2.4GB file to my usb it starts blazing fast (100Mb/s) for the first few seconds but then it gradually slowes down to ~ 15Mb/s. I'm running Mint 18.1, but I heard this has something to do with the kernel itself, but I am not sure.
>>
>>58557229
Microsoft (TM) Windows 10 (c) does not have those problems.
>>
For the french anons ITT.
t=$(($(tput cols)/3));for FR in $(seq $(tput lines));do printf "\e[44m%${t}s\e[47m%${t}s\e[41m%${t}s\e[0m\n";done 
>>
>>58557266
Whoops, it doesn't work. Here's the fixed version:
t=$(($(tput cols)/3));for FR in $(seq $(tput lines));do printf "\e[47m%${t}s\e[47m%${t}s\e[47m%${t}s\e[0m\n";done 
>>
My dumb ass needs some help and I figured you guys would be the best ones to ask.

A long-ass time ago, I put Ubuntu on my laptop and somehow managed to install two grub loaders. I've gotta type "exit" twice before I can start up my computer, and when I try to open the BIOS, it says:

>>Checking Media Presence.....
>>No Media Present....

I'm running Windows 8.1, and I have no fucking clue what I'm doing.
I've tried the Windows recovery drive, and it doesn't work.
Please help.
>>
Currently using Ubuntu. How does installing on arch different? Is it like sudo apt install cowsay
>>
>>58557349
retard
>>
Fresh install of latest Manjaro XFCE
could someone help me troubleshoot why the volume control applet in the notification tray updates its gui to reflect when I'm pressing my keyboards volume up/down keys but my volume doesn't actually increase/decrease?
I have to open pavucontrol and adjust the sliders to change my volume.
I've tried using various methods to bind XF86AudioRaiseVolume to
pactl set-sink-mute 0 false ; pactl set-sink-volume 0 +5%
and nothing changes.
>>
are there any forks of KDE4 out there?
>>
>>58558055
running
sh -c pactl set-sink-mute 0 false ; pactl set-sink-volume 0 +5%"
in a terminal works for increasing my volume. Could something be intercepting the key input and using the wrong command?

I've tried to search for the proper config file for the applet itself but I don't even know what it is I'm really looking for.
>>
>>58557423
I would honestly love to help you but what you're saying makes no goddamn sense. You can't insall grub twice unless you have two drives.
>>
>>58558336
I do have two. I installed Ubuntu twice, because I'm a fucking idiot.
>>
>>58558055
Check if the sink is actually 0. Try
pactl list sinks
>>
>>58558394
so just to be clear:
>drive A w/ ubuntu install and grub loader
>drive B w/ ubuntu install and grub loader

correct?
>>
>>58558394
Oh, so... Wait, you're running Windows but Grub is getting in the way?
>>
Every time I turn on or recover my computer I have to enter "xset m 1/5" to get my desired mouse sensitivity.
Is there any way to make this change permanent?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-19_06-14-31.png (25KB, 502x425px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-19_06-14-31.png
25KB, 502x425px
>>58558428
it was correct, but it turns out the problem had nothing to do with any of that...

changing the port in pavucontrol from Speaker to Headphone in the output tab fixed it.
>>
>>58558489
put it in either your ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc file
I'm too underslept to remember which
>>
Guys, can windows manager have wallpaper and context menu? I just installed arch in my laptop and still deciding which to use, de or wm
>>
>>58558466
Yes. I had Ubuntu installed on both drives, but I removed the installations and deleted the partitions (or so I thought). Now, I've got two instances of grub when I boot.
>>
File: 1477157563444.png (70KB, 300x372px) Image search: [Google]
1477157563444.png
70KB, 300x372px
>read curl's manpage
> -F, --form <name=content>
>Example: curl -F password=@/etc/passwd www.mypasswords.com
>>
>>58558547
It depends on the WM

>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/window_manager

A DE uses a WM, but a WM doesn't need a DE.
>>
lel, if you ever wanted to make a self-deleting script:

#!/bin/rm
>>
>>58558547
Some window managers like Awesome do.
Otherwise you can use feh to set a background image.
>>
File: 1467413885109.gif (182KB, 400x374px) Image search: [Google]
1467413885109.gif
182KB, 400x374px
I'm having screen tearing. I'm using Fedora 25 on a laptop with Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller. Is there an easy fix for that?
>>
Anyone here use VNC over SSH?
>>
>>58558844
What DE are you using?
>>
>>58558844
compton --backed glx
>>
File: what_are_birds.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
what_are_birds.gif
999KB, 250x251px
I have a question regarding multimedia codecs on both Ubuntu and Fedora, with GNOME.

I learned about how GStreamer is the library that glues everything together when it comes to media processing (at least on GNOME, I don't know about the other DEs). So after reading some QA sites, I figured if I want to install multimedia codecs, I need to install the necessary plugins for GStreamer, which include multiple codecs (the so-called good, bad and ugly sets).

Now, there's FFmpeg and its fork Libav, which I believe boil down to the same thing: more libraries to handle more codecs. GStreamer has plugins for both of these libraries.

Fedora 25 introduced the mpeg123 library.

I'm concerned with the correct installation of codecs in my systems, without unnecessary duplicity.

What I normally do, in both Ubuntu and Fedora, is install the packages "gstreamer1-plugins-good" and "gstreamer1-libav", and just like that, I can play videos online and play mp3 and mp4 music/videos with Totem.

Am I in the right path here? Is there any difference if I choose FFmpeg over Libav, or even mpeg123? Am I missing something? What do you guys do when it comes to installing codecs?

I know with Ubuntu you can install "ubuntu-restricted-extras", or just install VLC in both cases, but I'd like more grained control over my packages.
>>
Should I learn python? Also, what can I do with a cheap dell server?
>>
>>58559797
FFMPEG is equivalent to Libav (although I think libav is kinda dead but I'm not sure). Never hear of mpeg123, I don't think you need it either.
I don't manually install codecs. Everything magically works when I install firefox/mpd/mpv, be it on debian or gentoo.

>>58559919
>Should I learn python?
Why or why not?
>Also, what can I do with a cheap dell server?
MPD/Media server.
>>
I want to feed the input from /dev/video0 to two different programs simultaneously. Is there a utility I can use to split it in two? What about a symlink to it?
>>
>>58560057
cat /dev/video | tee >(prog1) | prog2 ?
>>
File: 20170119_113050.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170119_113050.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
So using parted, just wondering how to get the first partition to not be ext2, so I can put grub there and have everything work alright
>>
>>58560088
I could probably make that work, but either one may be stopped/started at certain times.
>>
>>58560131
CTRL+D
mkfs.fat32 /dev/sda1

>>58560142
There's probably a way to do non-consuming reads.
>>
>>58560131
If you arent using uefi(since you're using msdos) then you want /boot to be ext2
>>
>>58560228
No, partition 1. GRUB throws a fucking fit when I try ro install it in an ext2 partition for whatever reason
>>
>>58560274
>a fucking fit
Thats seems to be a bigger issue then some shitty work around cause you're incompetent and cant read stdout
>>
>>58560342
I know how to read faggot, that's how I know grub throws a fucking fit. I didn't ask "what do gee?" Like a fucking tard, I asked how to use a fucking program to fix what I knew was wrong. You could at least be helpful like this faggot
>>58560215
>>
>>58560405
>know how to read
Apparently not if you cannot read the ouput from grub.
>use a program to fix it
>knew what i was doing
You use mfks and grub to solve the problem.

>be helpful
I am being helpful.People have been using ext2 for DECADES without fault. Its a USER error, not a system error.1
>>
>>58558499
I've been having this evil little problem in arch where if I unplug my headphones, the speakers stop playing music. Master 100, speaker 100, headphone 0 means that no audio plays at all, and when I plug in my headphones, it plays from the speakers. I don't remember what the fix is, something involving commenting out some lines in /etc/pulse/default.pa
>>
>>58559919
Does it have 2 Ethernet ports? Linux router.
>>
>>58559797

Firefox can use ffmpeg directly since quite a while ago. I don't know if there are special compile time options for that though, there shouldn't be, I assume it's a default. Check if ffmpeg is a dependency for your Firefox package. That means GStreamer isn't needed now and I think that's better.

It all depends on your software. Check if Totem depends on Gstreamer. Maybe it can use ffmpeg like other software (mpv for example).
>>
File: 1484396414471.jpg (247KB, 1446x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1484396414471.jpg
247KB, 1446x2048px
>Archtards still crying about their fonts
loving every laugh
>>
File: linux torvalds windows.jpg (105KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
linux torvalds windows.jpg
105KB, 800x534px
Is it just me, or does Samba not work properly with MATE?

I haven't had a problem with Samba on Manjaro and non-MATE Ubuntu/Mint flavours, but with both Linux Mint MATE and Ubuntu MATE, I've had issues with it.
>>
>>58561178

Samba has nothing to do with your desktop environment. Samba might be working fine, but your desktop environment's utilities, like the file manager, might not work properly. Verify first that samba is working using the CLI client or whatever comes with it, then if it does troubleshoot the front-ends.
>>
>>58560943
>implying I didn't fix my font rendering using freefont config
cant say the same about your inferiority complex :^)
>>
remember funtoo?

haha me neither
>>
>>58561226
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
>>58561325

As a quick test, if you hate CLI stuff, install Thunar, gvfs and gvfs-samba (the package names might vary on your distribution).
With Thunar that's all you need and all the shares should show up under Networks on the side panel.
>>
I have a LVM volume that spans three disks and I would like to verify all the files and filesystem to check wether everything is in order.

How would I go about doing that? I've read that volumes shouldn't be mounted when using fsck but then what do I point fsck to?
>>
Before I install xubuntu I have 2 questions.

1. Is there anyway to set this up so that I can quickly switch to wangblows when I want to play a game without having to restart?

2. Can I access all my music and images on the windows partition
>>
>>58561272
heh, do you remember your dad?

haha me neither
>>
>>58561745
m-me too
>>
I'm using webmin to configure my ubuntu server and I'm trying to get rsync working in daemon mode through webmin. The webmin module complains there is no config file but the rsyncd.conf exists in /etc/ but it is an empty file.

Isn't the webmin module supposed to fill the config file or do I need to supply an initial config file?
>>
File: fix pls.png (1MB, 961x770px) Image search: [Google]
fix pls.png
1MB, 961x770px
>spend 3 days compiling Gentoo onto my shit spare PC
>everything goes so well, no kinks in the process at all (unless you count me using size optimized gcc/++ flag as a "kink" ;])
>umount etc etc
>reboot
>this

Alright, I'm willing to admit it's my fault, and not the fault of faulty hardware, as well as remaining not the fault of Gentoo.
I can't recall if I made a GPT table on my partitions. Do you lads figure that might be it?
>>
>>58561782
Actually, I'm going to try and enter makeconfig and see if I've accidentally disabled something I shouldn't have
That's the most likely thing here
>>
>>58561782
Don't use sda4 whatever, use UUIDs
>>
>>58561782
>unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I assume you configured fstab. Are you using an initramfs?
>>
>>58561818
No initramfs.
>>58561814
I'll try this before anything.
I was a fool in thinking I could use non-UUID in fstab. I'll report back with updates.
>>
>>58561782
I had this same problem when I changed a GPT to MBR or otherwise, I don't remember well, because the UEFI was not recognizing the drive as bootable. The thing is that I had two hard drives, and it was trying to mount root from a partition in the first hard drive, which was another thing. I had to switch hard drives because lilo would still try to mount the wrong partition even after editing the config file.

What I mean is, your bootloader is configured to mount root from sda4. Check your hard drive to see if root is REALLY in sd4. If it is then it could be corrupt, or you installed root incorrectly. If root is in another partition try to chroot into the environment and reconfigure that, depending on which bootloader you are using.
>>
>>58561782
its a simple filesystem/finding the right drive issue, you just have to edit grub.cfg
>>
>>58558554
What do you mean by having 2 instances of grub?

I mean, don't just tell me what you think is going on because you might be wrong. What is is that you actually see on your screen that is making you think you have 2 instances of grub?

I know you said you have to type escape twice, but on what screen? What happens after the first time you type escape, what messages are being shown?

What outcome do you want here? Do you want to keep Ubuntu and Windows or are you just trying to completely get rid of Ubuntu and have only Windows at this point? (If so then you don't even want GRUB at all, just repair the Windows bootloader)
>>
>>58561729
Don't use Windows, it's malware.
>>
>>58561729
1. No*
2. Yes

* You can't "switch" without restarting, but you can run one inside the other with a virtual machine.
Some people have great performance doing it this way for gaming (and something about using GPU passthrough or whatever) and some people have terrible performance with it.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1103x682px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1103x682px
>>58561862
>>58561862
>>58561814
>>58561809
Okay, my fstab file correctly points to the UUID for dev/sda4.
Had to fix a typo in the UUID and that drove me batshit for a bit, but that seems to have worked...

..and given me another, more undecipherable kernel panic.
Ideas? I'll try googling some of this and see what I get.
>>
https://devnull-as-a-service.com/code/
>>
>>58562174
Is this some kind of joke?
>>
File: ONO.png (1MB, 909x743px) Image search: [Google]
ONO.png
1MB, 909x743px
>>58562130
Could physical stuff be the problem?
>>
>>58558844
>>58558844
>>58559738
I'm using i3wm. I tried
compton --backend glx

but the windows glitch when I resize them or change workspace. :(
>>
>>58562351
try compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc
>>
OK, so I decided to construct a find command to locate the I accidentally saved a thumbnail from 4chan files.
find . -type f -name '*.jpg' | grep "[0-9]\{6,\}s\.jpg"

It's all good. 6 or more digit then lower-case s.jpg.
But then I realise find has a -regex option. But how do I make it work?
I tried like 8 different ways.
>>
I added a new repo to my system. I ran apt-get update. I can not install a package from this new repo, they don't even appear.
what do?
>>
File: DSC_0095.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0095.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
>>58562130
>>58562345
my system kernel panics when it boots without a initramfs
>>
>>58562405
i tried
 compton --backend glx --vsync opengl-swc --paint-on-overlay 

I still have the glitches
>>
>>58562502
>>58562130
Post your kernel command line.
>>
>>58562473
The regex has to match the entire line.
So something like
find . -type f -regextype egrep -regex '\./[0-9]{6,}s\.jpg'

should work.
>>
Hi, I'm trying to change the colour scheme for unity DE. I'm hating the horrible grey everywhere. Is there any way I can change this? Without changing themes?
Unity tweak tool amazingly doesn't have an option to change it that I can see.
>>
>>58553207
you're trying to install MBR on GPT dumbass
>>
I seriously fucking love GNOME. I will never understand the hatred of it. Some guy at my school uses MATE because he thinks GNOME is a tablet interface. I disagree. I think this is the first true desktop GUI I've ever used.
>>
how is openSUSE?

thinking about trying it
>>
>>58563121
Have you try i3?
>>
>>58563121
I love it too. cannot stand xfce or kde, gnome is the only choice for me
>>
>>58561729

>keeping personal files on windows

That will only cause issues, with Windows' NTFS file system, which doesn't support "Linux" permissions.
>>
File: 1336935636971.jpg (10KB, 266x239px) Image search: [Google]
1336935636971.jpg
10KB, 266x239px
>>58562879
That works. I don't see how to make it search recursively, though.
>>
File: 1461167239651.png (327KB, 1732x1442px) Image search: [Google]
1461167239651.png
327KB, 1732x1442px
>Kubuntu LTS finally reaches KDE 5.8
>>
>>58562351
>>58558844
>>58562655

Stop using a compositor just to get rid of tearing, when your GPU drivers can do it for you.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics#Tear-free_video
>>
>>58559296
i've done it before just for fun, why do you ask?
>>
>>58560274
partition 1 is only 2M, it's too small to install grub to
i'm not sure what you plan to use partition 1 for, but partition 2 is an appropriate size, type and is even flagged for booting, that's where grub should be
>>
>>58561977
>Boot computer
>Grub loader pops up immediately
>Type "exit"
>Hit enter
>5-10 second pause
>Screen flickers, back to a fresh grub screen
>Type "exit"
>Hit enter
>Windows boots
>>
>>58563545
I'm assuming you're talking about the grub prompt which looks like:
grub> _
meaning it can't find any config file to use?

GRUB typically is installed on a separate 2MB or so partition, so perhaps you have one of those small partitions still on each of your harddrives that you need to get rid of.
>>
I've been trying a lot of DEs lately and now I want to remove the ones I didn't like. How do I remove them completely (removing their minor software as well)?
>>
File: sailorpad.png (363KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
sailorpad.png
363KB, 600x451px
What file managers do you guys use?
>>
File: 62435243.png (17KB, 1019x704px) Image search: [Google]
62435243.png
17KB, 1019x704px
>>58564166
>>
>>58564166
>>58564185
dolphin
mc when X shits the bed
>>
>>58564166
I use dolphin.
It is a great mix of being a terminal and a graphical file manager.
It is good for people who are not that into using the terminal for managing files and for people who just like the combination of the two.
>>
File: elementary.jpg (113KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
elementary.jpg
113KB, 1024x768px
is Elementary OS good?

I am between Debian, Fedora and Elementary but right now I am a bit inclined to go with Elementary, is there a good reason not to?
>>
If I dual boot is it possible to have the machine default to booting Windows?
>>
>>58564223
do you know how to hide hidden files in mc?
>>
>>58564515
alt + .
>>
what does minimizing do when you have no panel?
>>
How come every fucking thing wants you to log in with faceberg/google nowadays?
>>
I'm editing a configuration file.
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
EndSection

Do the spaces between the words make diference?
>Option "TearFree" "true"
I was looking examples and they use more spaces.
Also sometimes these files have one big space between the options. How do I type that?
>>
>>58564362
Elementary is great. It's the best looking distro out of the box too.
>>
>>58564714
depends on the WM

for ones that expect to be used with a panel, such as openbox, they go nowhere, but you can still switch to them with alt+tab

others may iconify in the more traditional way, turning them into "icons" on the background
>>
I have win10 and I want to dual boot with Arch. Now, I've installed Arch multiple times so no big deal but I want to use EFI this time.

What should I do/know before doing that?
>>
>>58565090
why would you reinstall just to change the bootloaders?
>>
Using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and using the Unity DE. When i snap a window to the left half or make a window maximized there is a small line maybe 1 or 2 pixels wide that is between the window and the Unity launcher bar. Is there a way to fix this?
>>
>>58564937
The amount of spaces in that file doesn't matter, though you probably need at least one between "TearFree" and "true" (as in don't put "TearFree""true")
The big space is called a tabulation, made using the tab key in most text editors
>>
>>58565143
>Is there a way to fix this?
Yes by using i3.
>>
>>58565155
I normally use i3 but i wanted to give Unity a try but this small line is a little annoying.
>>
lxqt when
>>
>>58565313
did someone say lxqt?
>>
>>58565148
>paying to post on 4chan

lmafaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>>
>>58565341
>having to use recaptcha every time you post
>not knowing how to use the quote feature correctly and making me shitpost at your level
>>
>>58563410
2M was enough for grub
I just had to nuke the first 2048 KiB before grub would agree to install
I guess there was a ghost boot record
>>
>>58565438
you must be the CEO of some multinational company to make your time so precious to the point of paying a pass in a chinese cartoon image board so you can save 2 seconds each relevant post you make
>>
>>58565683
It costs like a nickel per day, lol
>>
>>58565484
>2M was enough for grub
only if you do a rather unusual setup (namely only installing the modules you need for that machine)
typically grub is installed in your /boot, which also contains at least the kernel image and initramfs, which combined is almost certainly going to be more than 2M

i'm curious to know why you'd want to separate grub and the kernel/initramfs files
>>
Is there a way to have a bottom task bar like the windows one in gnome? I want to have open programs on the left and clock, wi-fi, volume etc on the right but i haven't found any extention that does that
>>
>>58565740
your time?
>>
>>58565767
sounds like gnome classic might be what you're after
>>
>>58565780
The cost of a pass.
If you're so poor you cannot afford a nickel a day for convenience, perhaps you should be out looking for a job instead of posting on a technology forum
>>
>>58565807
just joking with you kind anon

yes i could pay for a pass but i don't see the need and it is certainly more than a nickel a day given my fucked up currency and its low price compared to the dolar
>>
I am SSHing to a VM and forward X11 through the connection. How can I optimize my SSH settings for this?
>>
>>58566087
use xpra or vnc
x11 over a network is ass these days
>>
File: 1484544358858.png (60KB, 300x279px) Image search: [Google]
1484544358858.png
60KB, 300x279px
where can i find the images used for the splashscreen in linux mint?
>>
>>58566286
>to a VM
The VM is inside my computer
>>
File: Screenshot (21).png (291KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (21).png
291KB, 1920x1080px
>>58566087
>>58566525
I'm doing the same, and I've found performance to be fine with default settings using putty and xming as my x server I'm forwarding to.

It doesn't really require much bandwidth to forward simple programs - definitely something your virtual network can handle
>>
>>58566595
>>58566525
however if you're looking to do more than very basic stuff, vnc or xn (nomachine) perform way better for that stuff
>>
>>58566609
What is xn?

I don't like VNC it has weird aliasing effects.
>>
>>58566653
if you're talking about jpeg artifacts, that can be disabled
>>
>tfw network devices aren't visible after reboot
Fuck this gay-ass meme
>>
>>58566653
>What is xn?
Sorry I meant NX
>>
When will Firefox run natively on Wayland?
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.