[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ Cert and Career General Post-three day weekend edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: rhcsa[1].jpg (89KB, 813x1429px) Image search: [Google]
rhcsa[1].jpg
89KB, 813x1429px
/ccg/ Cert and Career General

Post-three day weekend edition

What are you working towards? Need advice? Share your study resources!

Let's talk tech careers, resume advice, finding jobs, etc.

If you've got a tech career:

>Job Title
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
>How did you find/get job
>Pay
>Location
>>
File: 1473563169074.gif (2MB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
1473563169074.gif
2MB, 624x352px
>>58533179
>If you've got a tech career:
>>
>RedHat
AKA
>we need a Linux distro to give poos some jobs in the Linux ecosystem, yet which is branded in a way that nobody will want to use it out of fear of being branded a virgin neckbeard loser, to spare them from the poo-programming
>>
>>58533723
This distro is being used by governments and hospitals, fucking idiot.
>>
>>58534202
BUT IT'S NOT ARCH THEREFORE ITS EVIL
>>
>>58534214
I'm running Arch :^)
>>
File: 1283449091587.jpg (56KB, 597x473px) Image search: [Google]
1283449091587.jpg
56KB, 597x473px
>>58534202
>This distro is being used by governments and hospitals

You should have asked for proof when they fed your that lie during your employment anon.
>>
>>58534260
They do though. Having a supported and secure ecosystem is, dare I say, a matter of life or death when it comes to hospitals.
>>
File: office_worker_2.jpe.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
office_worker_2.jpe.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>>58534280
Indeed. And most hospitals fail at it while those that do not use anything but RedHat.
As i said anon, you should have asked for proof.
Now your are deluded into thinking your work is worth far more than it actually is, equal to a pile of cow dung.
>>
I have 2 questions.
1. I'm planning to test for Network+ at the beginning of February, how hard is it and am I wasting my time?
2. Linux+ or LPIC?
>>
>>58534280
>Having a supported and secure ecosystem
>government institutions

What you are referring to are called Unix-based operating systems.
Even if they were Linux, they certainly wouldn't be RedHat.
>>
>>58534304
No I don't give a shit, I'm t. sociology student shill.

My point isn't that this distro would be being used by most hospitals and governments (a government other than US would be stupid to use Red Hat without a complete source code review, because it has close ties to the US government), just that desktop users are clearly not their core audience.
>>
>>58534328
I'm sorry but I don't understand.
>>
>>58534311
>1. I'm planning to test for Network+ at the beginning of February, how hard is it and am I wasting my time?

IMO depends on how much experience you have. The latest Net+ (N10-006) is supposedly a lot harder than the previous version, and I read a post from a CompTIA employee that said they designed the test to be "extremely difficult" for someone without hands-on experience to pass. That said, it's certainly possible to pass with no experience if you study hard enough.

Most people think Net+ is a good cert to have if you're looking for entry-level net admin work. Experience trumps all though. A degree is good too if you have the time, money and drive.
>>
>>58534352
Nobody is the core audience of RedHat, except fedora wearing enlightened atheists and poos.
>>
>>58534370
I give up.
>>
>>58534366
That's because you are too stupid to breathe without machine support.
UNIX is what's been used forever by companies, businesses, factories, industries, and government.
Linux is a deviation from UNIX because "muh freedumb".
BSD and OSX are examples of UNIX derivatives, with emphasis on BSD for government sanctioned systems.
You dumb uneducated idiot. It's the corporate standard.

There is not a single hospital or government building in Western society that uses Linux shit the likes of RedHat.
>>
>>58534521
Can you back up your point?
>>
File: 1482846118544.png (32KB, 211x211px) Image search: [Google]
1482846118544.png
32KB, 211x211px
Im getting taught and certified Sec+ for free. How can I use this as a dude who pushes carts for a living?
>>
>>58534589
quora.com
Search and find out mr. sociology.
Also google UNIX on wikipedia and learn its history, and the BSD section.
You can also google "hospitals" "windows" "2016".
Most systems in the US military also use Windows. Intelligence systems run BSD as sanctioned by the NSA (who work on BSD), while military devices run on Linux derivatives highly customized and locked down.
It is all a google click away from revealing itself to you maggot.
It'd take me 30 posts to give you the history of operating systems, something you should have learned already in highschool you dumb faggot.
>>
>>58533179
I've been wondering about getting an LPIC cert, are they worth anything?
>>
Why is this thread such cancer? Come in here hoping for some unbiased information; and SOME unbiased information is what I get but it's buried very deeply under the berating of people that aren't as educated in a particular subject as them or just straight up don't like via ad hominem. Jesus fuck, you guys are cancer.
>>
>>58533179
So I'm starting my work placement in IBM as a cyber security analyst. Thinking of getting certs, idea I have so far is to do CEH>CISSP>GSEC.

Any other worth looking into?
>>
>>58534768

Sec+ is a great entry-level cert to get. You could get an entry-level IT job, especially if you pair it with experience, other certs, an associate's degree or better.
>>
>>58534962
>Intelligence systems run BSD as sanctioned by the NSA (who work on BSD), while military devices run on Linux derivatives highly customized and locked down.
>ITT: we pretend hospitals can self-support a BSD system

sighs.

I knew hospitals mostly ran Windows, I'm just saying that such examples of vital pieces of infrastructures, along with corporations, constitute the core audience of Red Hat (by opposition to your statements that it would only be used by "virgin neckbeard losers", "enlightened atheists" and "poos").

I didn't say anything more, nor have I been especially interested in this argument. Bye.
>>
>>58535258
lol u a gay nigga
>>
Bumping the thread
>>
>>58533179

>Job Title
Jr Linux Sysadmin

>Years of Experience

>Degrees/Certs
BA in Business Management. No IT certs or education. Self-taught.

I originally started as sales and hated it. Talked to another sysadmin, told him that I was an Arch fag. They were looking for someone urgently and sales dept was overstaffed so I was transferred.

>Pay
$52k/year

>Location
Seattle-ish Area

I should go get some certs considering that my company will pay for them.
>>
I'm currently seeking an IT job. is it a good idea to have a homepage where you show off your projects and skills?

do you guys have personal homepages, or do you just rely on LinkedIn?
>>
>>58533179

>Job Title
Network Engineer
>Years of Experience
9 months
>Degrees/Certs
CCNA,CCNP, no degree
Applied
>Pay
>Location
DC Area

Also have a part time job teaching CCNA/Net+ classes, it adds another 20k/year to my income.
>>
>>58536636
>Network engineer with 9 months experience
>140k per year
How?
>>
>>58536353
Are you me? Almost exactly the same situation to the T, talked with guys in my IT
department about using gentoo as my daily driver, have some projects on my
wordpress blog and showed it to them. I make like 85k now after moving up the
ranks and getting some real sysadmin experience. Lifes good mang.
>>
>>58536355
It's a good idea if you have something you're proud of.
>>
File: 1478149120348.jpg (55KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
1478149120348.jpg
55KB, 800x530px
>Job Title
Software Engineer
>Years of Experience
10+ in IT, 5 in development
>Degrees/Certs
A+, communications degree, no formal programming degree
Friend of friend, job was initially IT then they found out I made some online vidyas and knew MySQL
>Pay
>Location
DC Area

Not sure where to go from here. Basically a manager with my own department but no formal degree scares me and makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to leave. 34 years old now...
>>
>>58537582
>DC Area
did you miss that?
>>
>>58536636
I know CCIEs in Silicon Valley who don't make that much, this is bullshit.
>>
>Job Title
Senior Software Engineer

>Years of Experience

>Degrees/Certs
BS in CS

Internship

>Pay
~$105k

>Location
Maryland
>>
>>58538182
If you don't mind me asking, do you work in a software company, or a more general industry in a technology department?
>>
>>58538182

>using faggy title like "senior" as if it means anything other than you are a tool and your coworkers probably hate you
>>
Anyone ever interview at uber for software engineering (embedded)? I feel like I'm going to be absolutely roasted
>>
>>58534521
What is DoD and NASA

Idiot
>>
>>58538323
Making software for a Fortune 500

>>58538346
Pretty much, minus the hate. Lots of people with all kinds of faggy titles
>>
>>58538182
>Maryland
>$105k
>>>>>Senior
That's some pretty mediocre pay for a senior dev in MD
>>
I'm sure this has been asked before but I rarely browse /g/.

I'm new to IT and am considering going after a CCNA Routing + Switching cert and was wondering if it's worthwhile to pursue.
>>
>>58538468
Definitely agree. Mostly my own fault for not jumping companies, and getting promotions from within, which never seems to get actual competitive pay with people who come from outside the company.
>>
>Job Title
3rd Party Risk Analyst
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
BS Cyber security, CISSP
Applied
>Pay
$95k
>Location
Nebraska
>>
OSCP crew reporting in.
>>
I have a BA in business.

Got my A+ and getting Network+ this week. I have no relevant job experience, how do I get a job in IT?
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.