[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to become "passionate" about programming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 00016c42b36a1362f14702.jpg (104KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
00016c42b36a1362f14702.jpg
104KB, 900x600px
Anon looking for a solid advice here.

I feel that as a coder I am not as successful as my talents allow for: I don't keep my skills up to date (I'd rather spend my reading time on fiction or history books and shit) and I am not dedicated enough to my work, judging by objective criteria of how much time I spend actually coding daily.

Some people seem to believe that motivation to do this stuff is innate, but I am not buying it; there were times in my life when I was much more involved with coding, I'm self-taught, after all.

What I think matters is surrounding. For one thing, I'm not friends with anyone who is passionate about what they do (it's worth mentioning that I work remotely) and I don't patronize any programming-related communities. Hackernews was great couple years back, now that it has shrunk to its present shitty self, I don't know where to turn to. I know a couple of telegram conferences though.

Do you think I'm on the right track? Any thoughts?
>>
It's something you build for yourself as with all habits.
>>
You will never be a successful as people with legit Asperger's who have the innate interest so it is only masochistic to use them as a yardstick to measure success. So long as you can do your job competently and you don't hate doing it then you're fine.
>>
>>58529706
That's plenty generic answer.

>>58529711
I think most (all) people that I met who are very good at this are not socially awkward at all, it's these people that I measure myself against.

Conversely, people with terrible social skills that I've seen were pretty bad at coding as well (not Richard Stallman material at all).
>>
>>58529656
The standard advice is to look for something you could fix with programming in the world or just your life. For example, I want to live in Equestria, so I'm building a VR simulation of a small portion of it.

>What I think matters is surrounding.
On that point, see if there's a hackerspace or a computer club or demo scene meetup or something like that in your city.
>>
don't stress yourself while programming. forget the time. everybody is lying how long they have for a project.

sometimes I just browse the web listen music while coding unproductively. sooner or later i get invested and go full autism.

it's like fapping, at the start you have to get horny first.
>>
>>58529656
>How to become "passionate" about programming?

You don't.
You either are or aren't.
You are either interested in ricing all your Internet sites and learn CSS/HTML/etc. as a byproduct, or you aren't and don't.
Sames goes for other shit.
Real programming especially since it doesn't have a goal like i specified previously and is an undertaking onto itself.
You either have interest in learning some programing language as if you had a spontaneous interests in learning human languages, and specialization/jobs come as a byproduct, or you aren't and don't.

If you attempt to make yourself passionate, you will make Hell of your life in the mid-to-long term.
>>
>>58529656
Every Day you tell yourself you love it, before you start think or even say - Oh boy I get to code now, Smile ( yes physically Smile) when thinking about it. Talk yourself into loving it.
>>
File: 1484619526860.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1484619526860.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
IT IS DETRIMENTAL TO BECOME PASSIONATE ABOUT PROGRAMMING.

I use to be passionate about programming, I used to want to write "beautiful" code and only "beautiful" code. I wanted to be the best programmer in the world. But as I grew older I realized how stupid this idea was.

What you should really focus on with programming is making something. What is all too forgotten is that programming is a tool and that programming for the sake of programming is a degenerate activity.

Successful people utilize tools as tools, they don't fetishize their chisel, pen or gun. They use them to make sculptures, write check's and wack weak niggas respectively. And you shouldn't too.

Use the tool to make something that is valuable. The code is not valuable on its own.
>>
>>58529656

Who is this semen extractor?
>>
>>58530982
a man.
>>
>>58530963
That's actually interesting advice. OP you can't just force it upon yourself, find something you want to make. If you enjoy it enough you will start obsessing about it on your own.
>>
>>58529656

stop posting degenerate pictures would be a good start.
>>
Anon looking for a solid advice here.

I feel that as a faggot I am not as successful as my talents allow for: I don't keep my skills up to date (I'd rather spend my reading time on fiction or history books and shit) and I am not dedicated enough to my work, judging by objective criteria of how much time I spend actually faggoting daily.

Some people seem to believe that motivation to do this stuff is innate, but I am not buying it; there were times in my life when I was much more involved with faggoting, I'm self-taught, after all.

What I think matters is surrounding. For one thing, I'm not friends with anyone who is passionate about what they do (it's worth mentioning that I work remotely) and I don't patronize any faggoting-related communities. Faggotnews was great couple years back, now that it has shrunk to its present shitty self, I don't know where to turn to. I know a couple of telegram conferences though.

Do you think I'm on the right track? Any thoughts?
>>
you just have to do it and keep doing it. if everybody sat around waiting to feel "passion" for something they're interested in pursuing seriously, nobody would get anything done. being more active in your pursuit and challenging yourself to find new ways to keep it interesting is what builds passion. passion isn't just something that happens to you, you have to put work in
>>
File: 9prNBRS.png (209KB, 1275x866px) Image search: [Google]
9prNBRS.png
209KB, 1275x866px
>>58531081
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.