[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Internet Download Managers a meme? It seems like nothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: idm.png (202KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
idm.png
202KB, 512x512px
Are Internet Download Managers a meme? It seems like nothing more than bloatware, since I can't think of a way it could actually accelrate your network connection speed.
>>
>>58517673
I attempted downloading an ISO for Server 2012 R2 eval from technet, and each time, the file was corrupt. Would fail at like 32% during install.

I downloaded some Windows download manager and downloaded it through that, and somehow, for some reason, the ISO worked. This was after attempting to download a half dozen times.

Soooo in very select circumstances, no. Most of the time though, probably.
>>
If you thought that download managers increase down speed you deserve bloat, just get one if you need to download lots of files
>>
>>58517673
If you have a connection that drops on occasion and you don't want the files you download to be corrupt, definitely check them out. Since the number of people with connections like these has fallen quite a bit over the last decade, their pool of users has receded somewhat.
>>
>>58517673
SEGMENTED DOWNLOADING.

It may improve your total speed especially if the server is configured to give specific speed per connection.

Most DL managers default to 4 segments.

I myself haven't used segments in a long while... I use DTA! for mass downloading and/or checksum verification etc. etc.
>>
I use to use internet download manager many years ago and found I did get faster speeds , could pause and resume certain things before browser had any functionality of this and had a handy button to download videos displayed on the page .
>>
If you're not downloading over FTP you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>58517673
download managers? in 20 fucking 17?
>>
>>58518280
Concrete example with Downthemall!

When i was a stupid newfag, i downloaded shitty RMVB encodes from a site that had limits for "free/unregistered users".
The limit was 80KB/s per connection and maximum of 2 connections per server (there was a few and they were somewhat spread out). So basically i could queue up a ton of shit and leave it on to DL in either one 2 segment DL (160KB/s) or two files at once 80KB/s each per server.

I recall downloading from like 5 servers at a time which is roughly 800KB/s together.

In retrospect: It was all a waste for the eyecancer the content was though.
>>
File: dta-big.png (70KB, 369x365px) Image search: [Google]
dta-big.png
70KB, 369x365px
Also MegaUpload from 2007 to 2012
Shit downloaded from there was not a waste at all.

Shit was so much win, even for a non-premium DTA user ;_;

Could download a few gigabytes of shit before it 403'd stuff and you had to wait...
>>
>>58517673
A long time ago browsers had shit handling of large files and bandwidth was slow and inconsistent at best. A download manager was a necessity. Today torrent clients have taken their purpose with your browser's download manager being competent enough to handle what can't be torrented.
So in short.
No.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.