[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you stay secure online?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: password_image_0.jpg (324KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
password_image_0.jpg
324KB, 1920x1280px
What's current best practice for passwords, etc.? Should I get some sort of USB key?
>>
>>58514134
2-step authentication is pretty big now. The days of having a billion key chain authenticatior fobs is a thing of the past. Everything can be installed on a smartphone.
>>
>>58514148
>Everything can be installed on a smartphone
That sounds like really bad security practice given that phones are a lot less secure than computers. For that reason alone I refuse to do banking on my phone.
>>
>>58514181
Oh yeah, and I also never log into my mail account from the phone because if it's compromised then pretty much all of my online accounts will be.
>>
>>58514181
By that logic, you must log on to anything with your phone. Sounds productive.
>>
>>58514205
I don't use my phone to be productive. I use it for shitposting. :^)
>>
File: Capture.png (6KB, 352x159px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
6KB, 352x159px
Have a good password.

NEVER and I mean NEVER reuse a password. Tedious at first, but well worth it in the long run. If you cannot do this then please for the love of God keep your email password unique. If someone gets into your account, they'll 99% of the time be able to see your email address. Then they WILL try to log in with that password. Most of the time, it'll work. If you have 2-Step Verification it should save you, but that can be risky.

Also, be careful with weaker sites. A website like Google, you don't have to worry about. It's Google... But if you're using some obscure website with an account. Make sure that password is different and you should probably use a different email, too. The reason why is because I've had behind the scenes experience with how these sites work. A lot of them are insecure, for one, obviously, but sometimes power hungry owners or staff go rogue and can get your password. But what they usually do is, if you've made a payment (usually PayPal), they'll find your address and name and connect it to your username along with your IP address. I'm sure I don't need to explain to you how dangerous that is.

Good passwords that are unique. 2-Step Verification. Unique email password that's not written down anywhere. You will have to remember this one. The rest you can write down in a .txt file for all I care, but do not write down your email password. This is your safe haven. If this gets compromised, the rest of your passwords are absolutely meaningless because they can just be changed.

It's really not bad, honestly. Seems inconvenient, but most of the time you should only have to log in once, especially on mobile devices. Remember, you're not doing this because you're a special snowflake that needs super protection, but because of convenience and piece of mind. It's very nice to suffer a bit now, but not have to worry later when someone like Adobe gets hacked and you don't even care.
>>
>>58514406
Nice pic

>computer hires 2 black guys
>>
>>58514134
I come up with a phrase that has about 10-15 words in it, and I'll take the first letter of each word to come up with a 10-15 character password. Then I'll replace some of the letters with numbers or symbols.

So for instance: I can't believe you guys on 4chan fucking suck this bad.

Icbygo4fstb is the base password. Then I'll make it complex.

1cbyg04f$tb!

I try not to reuse symbols and try not to reuse letters as well to make sure there are as many unique characters in the password as possible.

It has worked very well for me ever since I started putting this method into place and it makes it easy to remember your passwords, too. Because these are phrases that typically are always running through my head.

I wouldn't say you have to go to the extreme of having a different password for everything you log into because that would be kind of ridiculous, but you should have about 3 different passwords that you use.

I currently have 4 different passwords that I use for everything, and I just rotate between them all the time.

Facebook Password 1
Twitter Password 2
WoW Password 3
Google Password 4
Apple Password 3
Reddit password 2
...etc.

Then when I change my passwords, I may switch my Apple account to password 1, Google account to password 3, etc. Just kind of randomize what password each service gets.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.