[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How safe are online password managers? /g/ ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: thinking-face.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking-face.png
53KB, 256x256px
How safe are online password managers?
/g/ ?
>>
Just write them on paper
>>
>>58508954
I think so as well anon, but everyone is like "its super safe dude" is that a meme ?
>>
>>58508954
I wrote mine on paper and my cat threw up on them. They are still legible but I really need to copy them over to a new paper.
>>
>>58508934
If its on somebody else's computer, then its not safe.
>>
>>58508934
I was gonna say safe, but then I realized you said online
>>
>>58508954
This
Encrypt the password and then write it on paper :/\)
>>
>>58508954
This is what I do. And stored in a fireproof safe with my other important documents.

So basically unless you burgle my 3rd floor apartment in a reasonably secure building, good fucking luck.
>>
>>58509104
If your safe isn't bolted to the floor then its pretty useless against thievery. Most apartments don't allow that to my knowledge.
>>
File: 1477332721464.jpg (428KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1477332721464.jpg
428KB, 850x1200px
>>58508934
this desu >>58508954
Write it on paper and make several copies from a printer. Stores those in secure areas
>>
>>58508934
>he cant even remember his passwords
brainlet
>>
>>58509214
I never said that.
>>
>>58508934
Better off using TOTP where available.

Don't store passwords of databases thereof on somebody else's computer unless you really don't care about the things the passwords protect... in which case why bother with a PM?
>>
File: 1484207920173.jpg (56KB, 640x701px) Image search: [Google]
1484207920173.jpg
56KB, 640x701px
>>58509008
>not thanking your cat for its gift of organic encryption
Ungrateful, anon, just ungrateful
>>
>>58509128
who dis?
>>
>>58509305
Its Wevirse

Wevirse emage sirch
>>
>>58508934
mine are on github in a pwsafe db
>>
>>58508934
LastPass has Two-factor authentication witch makes it kinda hard to get in, even if somehow someone figures out your master password (make sure it's a good one).
And their database is encrypted so i would be useless if someone got it.
I trust it like i trust PayPal.
>>
>>58509104
>not burying your passwords in the middle of the forest while hiding decoys in your house
I really hope you never get targeted by criminals. Your "reasonably secure building" is probably not as secure as you think.
>>
>>58508934
Not at all.
>>
>>58508934
>hosted by you
as safe as your expertise can make it
>not hosted by you
absolutely no way to tell, so cannot be considered safe
>>
Online password manager... you're flirting with danger there. What happens if that server is compromised? How good is their encryption? How secure is their encryption?

And don't write them on paper. That's like storing them on your computer without a password in a plain text document, unless you have your computer locked down pretty well and you have encrypted your hard drive.

The best place for them is in your brain. Pick passwords you can just remember. If you forget a password, no big deal because most web sites have a self serve password recovery tool. That's why it's there. In IT we get so many users who can't remember their fucking passwords, and it sends me over the edge ready to round house kick them in the throat. We all have the same password requirements, and not once have I forgotten my password. Yet, we can set a password for someone, and 3 days later they're calling to have it reset again because now their fingerprint isn't working and they can't remember their password. Just set it to something you can REMEMBER.

Or they'll write all their passwords down on paper and leave it on their desk. If I was a dick, I could log in to all their systems, change their passwords and really fuck their world up. But I'm not that type of guy.

I've been on the internet since 1998 at the absolute latest. I gotta admit, I can't remember the exact date, but I know it was between 1997 and 1998, and before 1999. so that makes 19-20 years I've been online, and the only time I've ever written passwords down was at work to figure out what I wanted them to be -- then I'd take it over to the nearest shredder and shred them.

And don't have your browser save your passwords. That's the easiest way to forget them. Type them in every time. It embeds them in your brain.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.