[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you actually need anti-virus?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: virus-under-microscope.jpg (183KB, 600x533px) Image search: [Google]
virus-under-microscope.jpg
183KB, 600x533px
I haven't used one since I reformatted 6 months ago. As long as you're not a retard who runs unknown .exe's are you pretty much good without anti-virus?
>>
Yeah why would you care about malware if you're already using windows.
>>
File: 1483652580340.jpg (46KB, 450x616px) Image search: [Google]
1483652580340.jpg
46KB, 450x616px
>>58507686
Enjoy your hidden backdoor
>>
File: 1482077877689.jpg (185KB, 1698x1140px) Image search: [Google]
1482077877689.jpg
185KB, 1698x1140px
>>58507686

Real-time protection? You can get away without using it. Just scan once in a while, based on your usage patterns.
>>
>>58507723

So having anti-virus removes a hidden backdoor? How can you get a virus without running something you're not supposed to run? As far as I'm aware you can't get one from simply browsing a website or being connected to the internet. You have to physically click on something and then choose to run it.
>>
File: a65.jpg (53KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
a65.jpg
53KB, 540x540px
>>58507723

As opposed to _what kind_ of backdoor?
>>
>>58507745

I don't have any anti-virus installed but I run Malware bytes once a day to scan for malware. Is that good enough? I don't like real time protection or AV software that boots with your computer since it slows performance. Avast for example added ~15 seconds to my boot time.
>>
File: 1482490992857.gif (1000KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1482490992857.gif
1000KB, 500x281px
>>58507762
Windows, duh
>>
>>58507764
>Once a day
Bruh how sketchy are the sites you visit

You don't even need to do it once a month, what you're doing is overkill
>>
>>58507857

I'm paranoid because I don't run AV so before I'm getting ready for bed I run malware bytes then go brush my teeth. Just made it part of my routine.

When I search "Do you really need anti-virus?" the results are all people swearing you need it and your computer will be brutalized by real time hackers if you don't have it.
>>
The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.
>>
File: 55dcbca81d75df6aaf72c63d605f9cba.png (887KB, 1607x903px) Image search: [Google]
55dcbca81d75df6aaf72c63d605f9cba.png
887KB, 1607x903px
>>58507891
why would someone spend more time than a lame bruteforce trying to hack an everyday person? unless there's some sensitive data worth the while that they know about, the most you should worry about is not running dumb software as you know, recognizing phissing attempts, noscript/ublock, not letting someone remote view your pc, check for rootkits and other malware just in case regularly, proper password bs, that kind of menial bullshit... ofc, it's fun to bolster security as a hobby.
>>
The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>58507686
get https everywhere, noscprit, adblock, and umarix for firefox.
>>
>>58508091
The IMB T60p with Gentoo doens't have this problem
>>
>have malwarebytes on computer
>is good
>suddenly BIG EPICHH UDPATE XDDDDXDDEARGAE4
>malwarebytes is now avg
>adds itself to startup without asking
>removing it from startup doesnt work and it still starts itself
>offers me a new definition update
>its actually a hidden PHREE TRIAL of some stupid realtime monitoring shit that i have to remove
>>
I just have it in case some rare bullshit pops up.

Saved me at least once when the biggest weather forecast website in Germany got hacked and infected people by using some weird 0day browser vulnerability that even Noscript couldn't prevent.
>>
>>58507748
>As far as I'm aware you can't get one from simply browsing a website or being connected to the internet
that's where you're wrong pal
>>
>>58507686
It's not even the .exes or .msis you have to worry these days. Fucking website redirects is the biggest pain in the ass, and they're showing up even on legit websites.
>>
If you're a fairly smart person who knows how to use a computer and not fucking break it, then no, you don't.

If you are dealing with sensitive files (business, financials, other confidential shit) which makes you a potential target for hacking, then it's recommended.
>>
>>58507686
Any web browser worth its salt is sandboxed to hell and back these days.
You no longer need an antivirus botnet resource hog chugging along in the background unless you pirate and run random ass software downloaded from the net with admin privileges.
Alternatively: Do all your sketchy shit on Linux w/ wine and then feed it to Windows after you've verified it's trustworthiness and that it doesn't phone home with your keystrokes.
>>
>>58507748
>As far as I'm aware you can't get one from simply browsing a website or being connected to the internet

That's what most people in botnets believe.

>>58508545
>If you're a fairly smart person who knows how to use a computer and not fucking break it, then no, you don't.
You wouldn't know it was there most of the time, until you got ransomwared or your game accounts were hijacked and your stuff sold for real money.

>>58508597
>Any web browser worth its salt is sandboxed to hell and back these days.
It's not enough though, they still use the OS to do some things like render jpegs.

>>58507686
The danger that only a realtime av will solve is driveby browser exploits. Stuff like the malformed jpeg hack a few years ago. Whenever stuff like that is discovered by the organised cybercriminals, they embed it into advertising networks and shit and suddenly you browser mainstream sites and get served advertisements that hack your OS's jpeg rendering code or something and cause it to download their malware. Then you're botnetted and you never saw it happen.

The actual stuff that this botnet does?
It might use you to do DDOS or mail spam but there's more money to be made through encrypting your important shit and making you pay a bitcoin to unlock it (ransomware). Or blackmailing you with your nudes or CP or whatever. Or, if you're a gamer, accessing your game accounts and selling your in-game items for real money on gold-farming sites.

Drive-by browser exploits were a game-changer in botnets, suddenly even non-stupid people could be attacked and they'd never know.
>>
>>58507891
The people saying that are most likely retarded normies, who do indeed need it.

Honestly, if you have to ask if you need an antivirus, you probably do need one.
>>
>>58508174
Just buy a retina Macbook.
>>
>>58507686
You'd still preferably have to secure your system through other means; like setting up permissions and testing them through AccessChk as admin for a user account (which you will then use), make sure UAC is at max level, uninstall Java, set up EMET and DEP, set up a firewall, and finally make sure nothing can run through your browser via ad and script blockers.

But is all the above really worth it for you? The more you harden yourself the more you have to deal with to get stuff to work legitimately.
>>
>>58507686
Viruses are such miracles desu
Fascinating things
They're neither dead nor alive
How did nature do it
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.