[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Normies ruined technology >2006 >have brand new IBM notebooks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0024.jpg (716KB, 1536x2056px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0024.jpg
716KB, 1536x2056px
Normies ruined technology

>2006
>have brand new IBM notebooks
>4:3 IPS displays with military-grade rollcage built in
>between 3 and 5 USBs
>express slots
>expandable everything
>upgradable everything

>have physical keyboard on smartphones
>have handful of ports
>expandable everything
>upgradable everything

>>>a phillips screwdriver was all you needed

>2017
>finally the future
>have brand new Lenovo notebooks
>the display is a 1336x768 TN panel
>its held on by a bezel-like sticker
>widescreen because iTunes movies XD
>chiclet keys
>disappearing Fn keys
>2 USB ports
>everything looks like a dark grey HP/Dell model

>have 7" smartphones
>can't take them on planes
>can't get them wet
>can't have physical keys
>can't expand anything
>can't upgrade anything
>everything looks like an iPhone but with some Android gimmick added
>>
This is what upsets me the most. It's the same case with the internet, back then you actually had purpose for the internet (research & communication mainly). But now literally everyone is just using fucking snapchat and facebook to consume news like buzzfeed. It drives me nuts.
>>
>>58502642
Neckbeards living in past XD
>>
>>58502678
Notice how when you google something you only get click bait articles as before you got forum posts?
>>
>>58502678
>people like things i dont like
>>
>>58502642
>smartphone
>upgradable everything
what phone has had upgradeable everything?
>>
>>58502642
>expecting megacorps to target a Small group of neckbeards with product design.
Get real you fucking 12 year old. I agree it's gone to shit. But your actually blaming companies, who's soul purpose is to make money,for targeting the largest portion of the world's population? Poor stupidpeople buy moreproducts thananyone else. Ifyou want market share/ control that's who you target.
>>
>>58502678
commercialization of internet ruined it. i didn't get to experience the internet of the 90s, but in early 2000s fan sites/personal websites were still very common. now if it can't make you money/you can't slap ads all over it then it either doesn't exist, or it's insanely hard to find.

>>58502741
is there any search engine dedicated to searching forums/discussion boards? another problem is that unfortunately a lot of those forums are either gone outright, or have a near nonexistent user base nowadays.
>>
>>58502787
I had a WM pda, you could upgrade RAM by resoldering chip
>>
>>58503042
You'd think developers are a substantial enough market for a laptop manufacturer.

Then again Clevo and other custom build laptop brands handle that niche segment.
>>
Why does /g/ have this thread every week.
>>
>>58503392
I red okay things about Metabox, but the main concern with custom builds is battery life.
>>
>>58503433
No alternative to our IBM lords and saviors yet apparently.
>>
>>58503184
Duckduckgo has bangs? I think they're called, that allow you to search specific sites. Surely Google has the same.

I'd just bookmark a search string encompassing all the forum's you care to search
>>
>>58503483
Sure, but it becomes redundant to complain about normalfags and wish to time travel back to the epic 2000's and 90's ALL THE TIME.
>>
>>58503528
but that's the thing, if i'm trying to find information on something i'm not familiar with i'd much rather read people's experiences on various forums which i more likely than not am not aware of. if i search on google. the first few pages will be nothing but shit "how to" articles copied and pasted from one another and laden with ads.

i try to get around this but using the date filters, but it only helps to an extent.
>>
>>58503596
God I hate this
>>
>>58503536
Just screenshot a collection of your favorite responses to this topic in one of the threads and then post it in the thread every time there's a new one, or make a tool that does it automatically when it sees a new thread posted with certain keywords.
>>
>>58503184
>is there any search engine dedicated to searching forums/discussion boards?
append this to your google searches:
("forum" OR "forums" OR "mailing list" OR "chan" OR "bbs")

>inb4 botnet
Google still is the best when it comes to search refinement
>>
>>58503042
> neckbeards
> 12 year old
Do you even read what you write, lel
>>
>>58502642
this
>between 3 and 5 USBs
>express slots
and this
>have physical keyboard on smartphones

god i hate the direction where current technology is going
>>
>>58502642
>those things to keep the laptop down
Is this normal in America? Secure everything so people don't steal things?
>>
>>58505458
Yea niggers will literally run up to you and take your shit on the subway. I've seen it happen to an applefag on his macbook pro.
>>
>>58502678
Oh shut up just because you're not the cool kids on the internet doesn't mean that it isn't being used for communication and research. It's only used for communication and research, this board and all of the most popular websites on the internet are focused on research and communication just because it didn't go how you wanted doesn't mean it's worse or bad or even stupid. People( as in people who buy laptops) are dictating what the market creates maybe if you actually knew what people wanted you'd understand, most of the world doesn't need 5 USBs, or military grade rollcages or expandable/upgradable things so guess what? It isn't being made. And your stupid complaints on smartphones don't apply, BlackBerry's have physical keyboards and guess what nobody buys them, it didn't matter when phones had expandability so it got removed, nobody wants to upgrade their phones so it would be stupid to waste money making sure they can.
You can't have what you want just because you want it, so stop acting like fucking babies.
>>
>>58503184
>>58502678
Web consolidation was the best possible thing to happen, private companies commercializing it may have been the driving force but the only reason everyone got on board was because of piece of shit admins banning >90% of their userbase. Nostalgia shits usually leave this sort of thing out when talking about the "golden era" or just repeat some 20 year old meme like signal-to-noise ratio or september.

The reason why nostalgia is cancer is because it's survivalism in terms of only the small percentage of good things and you conveniently leave out the 99% of turbo shit geocities sites and loser admins jerking off on IRC.

By the way, just because you showed up first, doesn't mean you get to dictate how it will go. You can go spend $5 a month and have unlimited hosting, storage, and access for your "purpose" research and communication, was this available in the "good ol' days"? what about broadband?

>I didn't get to experience the internet of the 90s
It was shit and you are in the same boat as people whose only access to how life was in the 1950s was movies with actors and scripts so we get this mass delusion that the 50s was some golden era. Same for 40s, 30s, 60s, and 70s. When given the choice, people tend to just remove or not archive all the bad events. You should watch some political rallies set in any of those eras, they usually have some fights in them. It's one of the only visual records kept so you can stop repeating this meme that everyone got along and it was a golden era because you simply can't find a recording of anyone fighting and everyone from the time has either forgotten or died and the only thing left is movies based on fantasy scripts. There were no "good ol' days", the collective memory of all the old people rots away.

Likewise, actually read the IRC logs and actually read old website archives, so you can see it was shit at that time as well, instead of the small snippets and advertisements you keep jacking off to.
>>
File: for what purpose.jpg (115KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
for what purpose.jpg
115KB, 1024x904px
Something /g/ doesn't seem to understand is that you can vote with your wallet. If you don't like that a certain company doesn't have SD slots in their phones, don't buy them. Don't like Mac OS, don't fucking install it. Don't like Microsoft but you need Wangblows for work? Well versions as late as 8.1 have a script included to infinitely reset the 30-day trial. This shit is really easy to understand, but /g/ is fucking autistic.

Examples: I despise board repair so I refuse to purchase laptops that do not have user replaceable RAM and hard drives. I hate dragging dongles around with me so I won't buy a laptop that only has one USB C port. I hate stupid gamer shit so I don't buy rainbow cases, flashing LED strips, and "pro" SSDs.

VOTE WITH YOUR FUCKING WALLETS
>>
>>58506375
>implying there is enough people to vote with wallets
oh wait, what could I except from a fucking frogposter
>>
File: 1483924516405.jpg (37KB, 286x452px) Image search: [Google]
1483924516405.jpg
37KB, 286x452px
>>58506426
Things aren't going the way you like them, so what else can you do other than buying what you like? What I'm suggesting is more productive than becoming a reason why the thing you hate exists, dumbfuck. The world does not revolve around (You).
>>
>>58502642
>>expandable everything
>>upgradable everything
recent tech product lost this.
i think it was really fun
buy some shit i want and disassemble like block... that's really enjoyable
(2011 thinkpad is probably last age in my knowledge)

i know recent tech is not shit. usually every thing is decent. but that's all
>>
File: 1480680256599.gif (1MB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1480680256599.gif
1MB, 720x720px
>>58505776

Not even the guy you're responding to but you're not even really addressing the issue. The point is that technology is becoming more wisespread and mainstream and thus more people are using it. Since people are retarded this is causing technology to slowly becoming retard proof. This is like when you have an amazing french art deco apartment that you spent years making your own and then some soccer mom comes in an baby proofs the entire thing because muh edges and muh choke hazards when all the bitch had to do was be a fuckint mother and watch the god damn kid.

Things have gotten to a point where using a peripheral atrachment to select something is too much work instead we gotta be able to point and touch the fucking screen like we're 4 year olda watching Blue's Clues. Again, we all know why it happened but that doesn't mean we can't bitch about it om or secret club forum.
>>
>>58502642
>have brand new Lenovo notebooks
>the display is a 1336x768 TN panel
>2 USB ports
My Lenovo notebook has an IPS panel @ 1920x1080 and three USB 3 ports
>chiclet keys
They're fine to type on.
>>
>>58506617

And just incase you're wondering, my post had a shit ton of typos because I typed it with this god awful touch screen headache od a jeyboard and aince phones are supposed to ve like super slim and uber cute we cant have enough room to actualky use its funtionality like we're supposed to. But you know that's what I get for tryin to actually participate in online discussikn while tryimf to take a shit.
>>
>>58502642

I'm still pissed that Mass Storage Mode was removed from all phones. Everyone prefers the botnet cloud services over simple USB file transfers. I can't open a photo from my SD card with Photoshop, edit it, and save it. Now I have to transfer it to my PC, then edit it there, and then re-transfer it back to my SD card in my phone. That's retarded. It's worse when you want to rename shit in MTP mode for Android since it'll freeze explorer half the time.
>>
>>58507627
You can mount MTP as a file system on GNU(+Linux).
>>
>>58507627
BlackBerry 10 while it's still relevant. Now is your chance.
>>
>>58502642
>can't take them on planes
dude what
>>
>>58507627
>>58507955

You can mount MTP with the newest version of android? Unless OEMs are removing it, but that's what you get for buying a samsung I guess
>>
>>58508080

I had a Q10, Z30, Q5, Classic and Leap (all BlackBerry 10 devices) before switching to the Priv (another BlackBerry device). The Priv allowed mass storage mode, except after the marshmallow update. I don't mind BB10 except it's not being updated anymore other than a few security features here and there, but the software is more or less dead. That's why I switched, although I still use those devices for home browsing.

>>58508532
I want mass storage mode though, not MTP. I can drag and drop things with MTP, but mass storage mode was way better. It allowed me to manage files in the SD card more freely. Better for organization.
>>
>>58503184
>is there any search engine dedicated to searching forums/discussion boards? another problem is that unfortunately a lot of those forums are either gone outright, or have a near nonexistent user base nowadays.
Quora and Boardreader

Blogs have always been hard to find. Especially now when SEO out-competes the old useful information. It's easy to push other websites down to hundreds of page results. Most search engines dont even offer that type of extensive search anymore. There's limitation on so many things like page results, keyword, and dated search.

The old internet meant you used several search engines and used specific keywords that you knew would get the results you want. We need a new search engine that uses our own data and preferences and bookmarks. There are so many pages out there that many people use, but others can't find.
>>
>>58503596
I'm glad somebody else noticed. It's gotten where if I have an actual problem, Google goes last, wheras just a few years ago their results were great for forums. Articles have their purpose, but they suck at specific problem solving or real world reviews of products.

Duckduckgo is what I'm using for this now, dunno what's better.
>>
>>58506375
Buy shit that works and stop depending on hardware locked software. Smartphones are the worst. New software uses the latest coding instead of something like Adobe Flash. Creativity has dropped because building anything has become more complicated.

Companies keep advancing hardware but all we get is shittier performance and ancient graphics based on marketing or old gaming sucesses.
>>
>>58508750
Buzzfeed is fine, OP. In fact, you can often find them on the second page because they dont use SEO as much.

The thing is that either there are truly no search results other than "top 20 best things" or some SEO company is using their resources to hide information.

The "old internet" meant you would often not find anything useful. Also, so many people use the internet now, you can actually notice companies holding back on search engine performance. That shit aint free to run for billiions of people.

That doesnt mean it could be better. There's just so many parts that often search engines glitch the selves and show categories of results instead of related to your keyword. The fact is we're all getting lazy, combined with enormous resources of blogs, changing webpage media, forums, and information spam, that its really difficult to find out anything unless you do it on your own. Be glad we have so much out there, but dont be afraid to dive deep and make sense of it all.
>>
>>58502642
You are bad at shopping.

I have two waterproof smartphones. One of them is for Chinese industrial applications and has 6ft drop resistance as well. It had warnings in the manual about avoiding using the radios at blasting sites in case you accidently trigger radio detonators.

I think you are entirely right about the chiclet keys, but the argument for them is that crap doesn't get stuck under them.... I get it... but they aren't as nice for typing.
>>
Remember that 3 year period where every "tablet" was complete ass?
>>
Computers changed due to average use cases and increased power. Nothing bad is happening you're just some faggot neckbeard roleplaying a 90s h4x0r.
>>
>>58508833

I only use Google if I am looking to buy something.

Ad supported search engines are useless for actual information.

At least Wikipedia exists.
>>
i have thinkpad x230 and blackberry priv. Autism holds me in 2007.
>>
>>58509061
I just got an x220. like it. It has a port for a cellphone style 3.5mm jack with mic and headphones.
>>
>>58509123
This. Got my X220 last Thursday and I'm beyond happy. Nothing wrong with buying old tech if it's working.
>>
>>58509013
Ads and datamining is killing the internet.

Nerds need to stick to forums and underground chats. But it needs to stop being so closed off to outsiders. Wikipedia is not what it used to be. Normal people used to use the internet, and people say normies are bad, but they helped build a lot of knowledge, too. More, in fact, than the dedicated nerds doing things on their own.
The newcomers are all stuck on gerbil datamining websites, its not their fault. We're practically stuck too, using big websites like this one. Google tracks everything here and moot sold his soul to google.
>>
>>58506375
Useless if there are hundreds of brainless drones falling for all the marketing memes and buzzwords.
>>
>>58507955
And it's a terrible experience. It's fucking slow and it keeps silently failing and transfering corrupt/incomplete files. I ended up using the SFTP server included with KDE Connect and all my problems were gone.
>>
>>58509325
>normies
>contributing to wikipedia
lmao
>>
>>58505458
yes its normal. America is diverse...which means near constant crime and theft.
>>
>>58509414
The vast majority of content to Wikipedia has been made by one-use anonymous IP addresses, including large edits. That sounds pretty normie to me. Not being involved at all with the ultra nerd community of Wikipedia irc and developments.

Proven by the same guy who co-founded reddit, and killed himself because of fbi prosecutor investigations.
>>
>>58509192
I only rarely buy new tech.
>>
>>58502642
>Normies ruined technology
this fucking faggot doesn't even bring up how the worthless piece of shit "liquid crystal displays" are the only thing being sold, when plasma display panels beat it in every possible way. and then the later organic light emitting diodes as well are also no longer being sold.

>muhh price marginzzzz -greedyfucktard
>muhh stupid choicez and lack of critical thinking -lcd buyer
>>
>>58505309
Oh wow you're right, thanks. Using startpage.

Nothing to hide "discussion" OR "blog" OR "mailing list" OR "RSS"

It works better with multiple constraining search terms....just like the old search engines. Using keywords to find specifically what you want.

Now, I hope i can use this to get around glitches with changing web content screwing up search results.

>>58503596
>i try to get around this but using the date filters, but it only helps to an extent.
Getting not only relevant articles, but new AND old
>>
>>58502642
Which is why I still use a Droid 4. 2nd best physical keyboard phone on the market. Install xposed/root little tweeting and it's good to roll. Or Photon Q if on ATT or Sprint(?) cousin but upgraded a bit.
>>
>>58509393
>And it's a terrible experience. It's fucking slow and it keeps silently failing and transfering corrupt/incomplete files. I ended up using the SFTP server included with KDE Connect and all my problems were gone.
go-mtpfs is quite stable
https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs/
jmtpfs and others are terrible indeed
>>
4chan has been my only savior all these years.

For all the shit we give this place it has stayed consistent outside of the new shitty faggot posters ruining the place from time to time.

At least there is no buzzfeed here.
>>
>>58511322
>from time to time.
It's constant.
>>
>>58506125
Oh you again with a problem against "muh abusive" admins a week ago I think?
>>
File: sony102.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sony102.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>58502642
>4:3
3:2 is better for multitasking
>military-grade rollcage
buzzord
Both IBM and Lenovo never published an official full mil-spec testing reports, apart from this there is no standartized certification, you can claim that your device is mil-spec even if it passes one of those tests like a bumpy road or water sprinkle.
>express slots
deprecated by usb 3.0 speeds, there are not so much stuff you can put inside of expresscard slot to be useful. wireless cards are already either half-mini slot or even 1x1 cm SOCs.
Serial port? Usb-serial adapter or some modern obscure dell models with rs-232
coprocessors, fpgas and crypto devices? not for wide use

>smartphones
>expandable everything
MMC-card-form-factor webcams and wifi modules? only in $1500 PDAs. Nothing else in particular. Half-inch 4GB hard drives?
>have handful of ports
proprietary 40-pin headphone+usb+power+video out? no, thanks
>phillips screwdriver
inferior, hex or torx are better

>can't get them wet
there are plenty of sealed smartphones on the market, like sonys or sharps, other are semi-rugged.

For all you faggots whining about shitty this, shitty that, apple this, normies that, look at the picture. It is a Sony Vaio from 2003, 768g weight, 10 inch screen, chiclet island-style keyboard, fanless cooling, soldered-on ram, no SD card slot, mouse with proprietary Memory Stick reader is sold separately, and finally, it had a DONGLE. A fucking DOMGLE in 2003, VGA+Ethernet dongle. Of course, with proprietary Sony connector, not even firewire.
Supply creates Demand. It's been forever, if you don't like it, make something better and force everyone to buy it, tat's it.
>>
File: sony3.jpg (5KB, 250x129px) Image search: [Google]
sony3.jpg
5KB, 250x129px
>>58512361
Looks like brand new Apple product, huh?
>>
>>58502642
That old tech is still the for you to masturbate over, you know? Companies target the consumer, if you're in the minority they don't care what you think.
>>
>>58511922
I'm not him, but I can't imagine the weeabo/feminist SJW or alternative admins were much better back then. If only it were a true alternative culture, at least it would reflect the peaceful norms of society instead of some self-righteous obessive idealogy to ban anyone they disagree with.
>>
>>58502642
2017 will still be saved by
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/
after that we are fucked
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.