[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Studying, /g/ approved?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: pepe_rage_bad_drawn.jpg (18KB, 680x583px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_rage_bad_drawn.jpg
18KB, 680x583px
Europoor here.

I am very (VERY) confused about what to study!
Is the whole "CS is a meme degree" a real thing? (/g/ often says so)
Is it true that it's hard to get a job if you have a BSc or a MSc in Computer Science?

What about subjects like
"ICE -- Information and Computer Engineering"
=
one part "Programming" e.g. 'algorithms', 'computer networks', 'operating systems'
one part "Electronics" e.g. 'electrodynamics', 'communications engineering'

Is this also a meme?
>>
Why does /g/ say CS is a meme?
>>
>>58499310
Always take things you read on 4chan with a grain of salt.
>>
File: 1478896521127.jpg (338KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1478896521127.jpg
338KB, 3264x2448px
>>58499310
>Asking an anime imageboard about university majors and memes
>>
>>58499340
> grain
>>
>>58499310
CS is definitely not a meme degree. I mean there are probably plenty of shitty programmers who have a CS degree but that's on them. Just use it as a base and make sure you build on top of what you learn.
>>
>>58499310
just study something you enjoy, whatever it is

you don't want to be stuck doing stuff you don't like
>>
>>58499310
Everyone with CS/ICE degree from half-reputable university (reputable at least in your country) will find a job if they are not an autistic or didn't graduate on accident. At my uni, most people who wanted to work found a job even before finishing their Bc.
>>
>>58499493
> before finishing their Bc
A prof. at our uni said we shouldn't do that, because it's a meme pushed by companies saying "Don't 'wait' for your MSc, we give you the same salary for a BSc! Come to us.".
They only say that to get workers they can pay lower.
>>
>>58499310
>I am very (VERY) confused about what to study!
Go to some technical school then, trash like you shouldn't go to college.
>>
>Is the whole "CS is a meme degree" a real thing? (/g/ often says so)
No.

>Is it true that it's hard to get a job if you have a BSc or a MSc in Computer Science?
BAHAHA no. You quite nearly drown in good jobs.

What IS true is that a CS degree -- at least, a good one -- will provide you with the theoretical understanding *that complements your own programming skill that you need to develop on your own time*. A non-useless CS degree will not teach you the craft of programming to any substantial level; rather, it teaches you the math, and you'll need to spend your own time practicing and getting GOOD at it. If you don't do that, then yes, you'll find it hard to get a job. I expect this is where the meme comes from.

>What about subjects like "ICE -- Information and Computer Engineering"
Hard to say without details, but it kinda sounds like an embedded systems program.
>>
File: 1477122893371.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
1477122893371.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
>>58499381
>>
First of all, taking serious advice from this aleutian ice-carving newsletter is not the best idea. That being said, let me give you some serious advice. My uncle has been in the CS game since the late 70s/early 80s, and he always gives me some good tips. Right now, CS degrees are still in somewhat high demand, although many people realize this, a lot of normies that go in just for the money end up not being able to do simple discrete mathematics and switch to general business or some other bullshit. Still, a lot of normies do grind through and graduate with a CS degree, along with all the /g/entoomen who actually love what they do. In the interview process, at least according to my uncle, they can tell apart the normies who are just in it for money and the real autists pretty well, and they will go with the real autist when they can. So, if you want a job in CS, go for it. If you really love seeing how software works and learning advanced programming techniques, that is all the more reason to get a CS degree. Also, if you are interested in a computer Engineering degree, know that it is more hardware oriented, and the job market is a little more niche. It is a really complicated topic and you will do a lot of your learning after you graduate, working. Still, CS would be impossible without CE, and CE would be pointless without CS, so either one is a good major and we need people in both areas. Just don't choose one because of money, you will do fine in either as long as you like what you do. But don't lean entirely on the side of "do what you love", because some degrees are plain stupid, as in basically all liberal arts besides maths, amond others.
>>
>taking advice from /g/
From what I saw in the 2 years I have been coming here, knowledge of 80% users consists of making fizzbuzz in obscure languages and typing screenfetch into terminal.
>>
>>58499653
> don't choose one because of money
I would choose it because it sounds interesting.

I know that the uni i want to go to does some sort of filtering at the beginning (test you have to have a positive result on, before you can do any other tests).
Basically that means: "If you can't do these entrance level subjects, don't even try anything harder"
>>
>>58499310
The CS meme degree meme was created CS grads so less people study CS so they will keep on easily cashing in 6 figures.
>>
>>58499585
This, not knowing what you want is a very working class and the last thing higher education needs is working class scum like you.
>>
>>58499554

At my university, the master's students only get paid $10k higher than the bachelors average. Keep in mind that the average Masters was probably like in the top 15% of the Bachelors.

That's not worth the extra year or two.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.