[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will fun, quirky phones ever make a comeback /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 17

File: Nokia-7600.jpg (510KB, 1250x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Nokia-7600.jpg
510KB, 1250x1080px
Will fun, quirky phones ever make a comeback /g/?
>>
>>58492977
no. blackberry tried to keep qwerties and they died

all hail glass slab master race, so we all can avoid being accidentally uncool
>>
>>58492977
I wish. I would love something like pic related from SEL.
>>
>>58493188
I'm surprised no one has tried to make this with a small motherboard.
>>
>>58493221
You could probably do it with a pi or something like that. Only problem is can't really make a phone, just PDA, because of all the proprietary-ness of mobile stuff.
>>
>>58492977
Looks like a Winamp skin
>>
Why would anyone want a phone that looks like OP's mom's gaped vagina?
>>
>>
File: 515_01.jpg (54KB, 580x341px) Image search: [Google]
515_01.jpg
54KB, 580x341px
>>
File: HTC-Universal-1.jpg (55KB, 500x550px) Image search: [Google]
HTC-Universal-1.jpg
55KB, 500x550px
>>
>>58493015
I miss qwerty keyboards. I absolutely hate typing in the screen.
>>
they already do lol
>>
File: IMG_0233.jpg (60KB, 452x380px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0233.jpg
60KB, 452x380px
>all these mushy shit keyboards with awful flat rubbery keys that are even worse than touchscreen keyboards
>somehow only a handful of manufacturers copied the undeniable GOAT keyboard of the sidekick

It's so perfect in every way. The buttons are small and spaced out so they don't take up too much space but are easily distinguishable from one another and are clicky, making it a snap to type without even looking at the screen or keyboard.
It was almost as comfortable to use these as a proper full sized keyboard at a desk. I actually preferred it to shitty low travel laptop keyboards of the time.

The little rolly ball was on par with Blackberry's offerings at the time too.

The phone itself was kind of shit though. I remember it hard-crashing a lot and if you let the battery die it deleted all your pictures, contacts, and text messages unless you had internet on it, which I didn't at the time.
>>
>>58493665
Well you're a minority
Physical thumb keyboards in the shape of desktop keyboards couldn't leave soon enough, they went the way of the numpad and with good reason. The ergonomics of thumbs make low force tapping better and faster than button pressing, the variation of inputs people put into their phones far outweighs the convenience of a dedicated keyboard
>>
>>58494769
>Well you're a minority
Judging from the dozens of people I've asked, doesn't seem like it. People just gobble up what marketing offers them like with everything else, because there is no real alternative (that they know of, Blackberry has shit for marketing).
>>
>>58494769
>>58495391
>The ergonomics of thumbs make low force tapping better and faster than button pressing
Less precise, so not better by any stretch. Inb4 autocorrect, autocorrect is only viable if you have a 500 word vocabulary and never typed an url or a bash command before.
>variation of inputs
Yeah I can't count the number of times I've looked at my laptop keyboard and thought "hey I'd really like to type kanji on this thing".
>>
lolno
>>
>>58495423

>autocorrect never gets it right

This. And this doesn't even take into account if you need to write more than 1 language at a time.

>coming to 4chinks on the phone is a pain since even simple words like "is" or "I'm" are autocorrected to whatever's closest in my native tongue.
>>
Nokia's quirky phones were never good so I imagine they won't. Shit like the Nokia 7280, which didn't fucking have buttons and cut the standard Symbian screen size to like a third. If you wanted the nice fashion Nokia, you'd get the Nokia 7610 and actually have a working phone. Or the Nokia 3600, where they actually had to alter fix the dumb design by releasing the Nokia 3620. Unfortunately they didn't fix how fucking fat the phone was. Also, N-Gage.

Then we have something like the Nokia 6600, which was probably the pinnacle of Nokia's product design. It was just a classic phone with a good design and good tech.
>>
>>58495538
Implying the double sliders like N95 weren't comfy as fuck
>>
>>58495577
N95's design was pretty dumb. If you want a nice phone from the N-range, Nokia N73 was much nicer in terms of design.
>>
>>58495609

>N95's design was pretty dumb

You sure you're talking about the N95? I still have one around and it's pretty fucking comfy.
>>
>>58493221
>What is GPD win
>>
>>58495738
>You sure you're talking about the N95?
Yup. My father had one at the time.
>>
>>58492977

nope
nobody wants anything other than a square glass rectangle.
>>
>>58495738
I had one. The thing was too thick to carry it in your pocket.
>>
>>58495989

Mine still fits in my pocket just fine, but whatever floats your boat I guess.
>>
File: 6689014.jpg (42KB, 236x469px) Image search: [Google]
6689014.jpg
42KB, 236x469px
>>58496200
Yeah, it fits, but the outline of it looks like you have an ice cream sandwich in your pocket. But yeah I guess I just have a slim fit tumor in my head.
>>
>>58492977

maybe for Japanese schoolgirls, might be a fad again for 30 or 45 days, then in China for about the same amount of time
>>
>>58494769
Blackberry Bold/Curve keyboards are GOAT. I can actually type on them without looking at the screen and the tactile feedback is nice. Plus they had a great shape which made typing on them easy.

If screen keyboards didn't have autocorrect and predictive text they'd be shit.
>>
>>58495483
What? On my phone, I have a button on the keyboard that switches between languages.
>>
>>58494769
no, google did the same thing with their research into 'users willingness to accept gui changes' what they found was given time users adapt and get use to new changes.

when in reality, its not that they get use to them or ever like them, they fucking hate change for change sake, no they just put up with it because there is nothing else.

Its not that people like touch screens, its that they fucking have no choice, god knows I have a brick phone in my car just because in a crash the last fucking thing i want is my phone's screen to shatter making it useless, the phone must function without screen.
>>
>>58492977
No, it's a tool that should be built to need. I wouldn't want a quirky hammer or skillet either.
>>
File: jew-bags-of-money.jpg (278KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
jew-bags-of-money.jpg
278KB, 1000x700px
>>58493188
>>>(((no matter where you are, everyone is always connected)))
>>
File: 1482348742837.jpg (87KB, 694x679px) Image search: [Google]
1482348742837.jpg
87KB, 694x679px
>>58498761
>tfw you realize corporate overlords could force most people to suicide just with google/facebook data and search patterns
>>
>>58493221
weebs have no useful skills
>>
>fun
>quirky
you are using these words in place of "hipster"

if you actually had to use any of this to make more than 3 calls a day, you'd throw it in the trash just like everyone else who came to this conclusion.

If you actually didn't disregard everything new you'd know there are all sorts of GSM gadgets from china you can get right now so you can still pretend to be a special snowflake.
>>
>>58499080
I like how the guy in the picture can barely hold his laughter
>>
>>58492977
Yes, when the smartphone market no longer tolerates minor upgrades in spec every year, then the manufacturers will turn to whimsy.
>>
>tfw phones are so thin nowadays that you could literally have a giant keyboard underneath them but no way faggot.
>>
>>58493665
Good thing this is scheduled to be released by the end of February.
>>
>>58495738
i also have one. any good software for it?
>>
My dream dumbphone is a simple J2ME flip phone with some kind of SMS encryption.
>>
>>58500053
I like tactile keyboards, but don't want it visible at all times. Slide phones were the pinnacle of phone design.
>>
>>58500194
I also wish there's phones with landscape keyboards. The Sidekick was fucking GOAT.
>>
>>58500215
If it has a side slide screen to reveal a keyboard, and can play emulated games, it's my lifemate. But that's not the way the market trended so I have to make due.
>>
>>58500053
>last bb "own" device
something very valuable ends right now

i hope mercury will be reasonably priced, i don't want to buy used priv over new mercury since block > slider
>>
>>58500740
If it's $500 or less I'm buying it.
>>
File: pimage_439.gif (156KB, 550x464px) Image search: [Google]
pimage_439.gif
156KB, 550x464px
I recently came close to buying a used Motorola Aura as a small primary phone to pair with a phablet on a data plan. But it felt like juggling two devices would be needlessly complicated, so I just went with an iPhone SE instead.

Also, the Aura is like $700 used.
>>
File: P1.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
P1.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>58500053
Wow! Such innovative design, grace and yet so professional looking. Balckberry really outd- wait ... this looks familiar
>>
>>58501680
We're talking about the post-iPhone era of smartphones.
>>
>>58494769
>they went the way of the numpad

unemployed child detected.
>>
File: IMG_0320.jpg (21KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0320.jpg
21KB, 300x225px
>>58492977
I would probably pay $500 for a new Motorola brick phone with the classic green backlit square rubber buttons and a red led 10 digit display with a LiPo battery and modern network compatibly. Not one of those cheesy replicas.
>>
>>58499099
His facial expression was probably dictated by the photographer
>>
File: Lenovo_A588T_Flip_Phone_Wide.jpg (101KB, 1192x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Lenovo_A588T_Flip_Phone_Wide.jpg
101KB, 1192x1000px
I wish Smart Flipphones would catch on more in the states
>>
>>58503686
>only a numpad keyboard, not a text one
>since you probably spend very little time typing numbers, this offers almost no pros but all cons of a flip phone

no thanks
a sideway flip phone with a qwerty keyboard maybe, but if i have to use a numpad or a tiny ass touch screen to type I might as well keep my brick phone
>>
File: Pho_Obj_TechLotooGold.jpg (99KB, 751x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Pho_Obj_TechLotooGold.jpg
99KB, 751x1000px
I hope so. People have to eventually get tired of all this iphone-clone minimalism. There are still designers pushing the envelope with other gadgets. Fingers-crossed some of them jump over to the smartphone market.
>>
>>58492977
HAHAHAHAHA

no unfortunately
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.