[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

laptop general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

for college students out there, is a 15.6" too much to carry around classes comfortably?

I currently have a 13.3" Spectre (last years model, 6th gen i7, 8GB, 256) but the return policy ends tomorrow and im thinking of swapping it for the 15.6" lenovo with the same specs besides a 7th gen i5 and a dedicated nvidia 940mx gpu. same price to swap them out, so that's not really an issue, but ill be using it for graphic design and video processing on the go, as well as taking it to class to read the books from so I'm not sure whether the small size of the spectre is better or the larger display and GPU is a better option. i have a good PC at home already for heavier editing though so I'm kinda stuck here. would appreciate your thoughts on it.
>>
>>58488988
ok,that's cool my dude
>>
>>58488988
I carry a Lenovo T460s everyday for work and school. It's a little smaller than what you're looking at but i don't think the extra 1.6" will really matter... i would say go for it if you think it's worth it and have room in your bag. My brother has a MSI GS63VR with a similar screen size to the one you're looking at and he says it's fine, and works really well for his classes. 15.6" isn't too extreme.
>>
>>58489238
thanks my man

i know its kind of a menial issue but i have autism and this stuff bothers me.
>>
>>58489347
ok cool, thanks for the info. I thought about getting the 14" 710 but it doesnt have a graphics card so it'd be the same as the laptop i currently own, so no reason to switch there. this spectre also has huge bezels, which is pretty ugly compared to the lenovo. brand wise, have you had any issues with your lenovo? I know there arent usually huge differences by brand but how's the build quality?
>>
>>58489415
I love my lenovo. Only use it for school and work so the lack of a graphics card doesn't bother me any because i have a tower at my house to game on and what not. The T460s is fantastic, very fast, decent storage, and a dream to type on. I do wish i had a little more screen space though since it's only 14", but it isn't that big of an issue since i can still see professors while typing notes and i have two monitors at work... build quality on the lenovo is fantastic, I issued probably 10-15 thinkpads of the 100+ something machines i issued last year and never heard anything bad about them, and i have never had an issue with mine (save for win10 updates, but if you do the updates right away there is usually no issue to be had. The only lenovo series i have had issues with is the yoga... i had a yoga 2 and liked it a bit, then i got a yoga 3 and it was great for the first few months, but now i don't use it... the keyboard hardly works and there are a few other things i don't like about them. Any of the Yogas i issued this past year had at least one thing go wrong with them, and people hated them. Stick to Thinkpads from lenovo and you wont be disappointed
>>
STEM students are usually manlets so 15 inches is too big to carry all day.
>>
>>58488988

15.6" is fine for me at university
>>
File: 1466419103586.jpg (26KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1466419103586.jpg
26KB, 396x385px
>1050/1050 ti laptops are released and they're mostly at the $1000-$1200 price range, same as what the 1060 laptops were last month
>the 1060 laptops are now going for $1150-$1500

Wtf is this Njewvia shit, how long will it take for 1050 laptops to drop down to the $500-$600 price range where they should be? I'm not interested in some riced out faggot GAMINGLAPTOP but these prices are absurd
>>
>>58489637
hmm, well the model i'm looking at is a yoga 710, I work at best buy and we don't have any open box thinkpads so that's where i'm getting my discount from. cool manager is gonna give me like 100 bucks off but its a basically brand new computer. i still think it'd be a better option than the spectre, althought ive heard good things about it it's had some strange issues happen such as the touchscreen not working and graphics driver crashes. I might be nitpicking though, because in the back of my mind I think the yoga would suit me better
>>
>>58490089
Never, the lowest you're going to get is $800
>>
>>58488988
you already have a pretty nice system as it is, intel igpus have come a long way

also, you are talking of wanting to be comfortable in taking your laptop to classes, and yet are considering going with a heavier and larger laptop? what the fuck did you just fucking think that made sense for, you little friend?
>>
>>58490307
that's true, but for the other part i'll be using it for, graphic design / editing on the go, it isn't as helpful with the smaller screen size.

that's where i'm stuck at. I can't figure out which one I can compromise on, designing on a small screen or lugging around a large laptop to school but having extra GPU power and a better display
>>
>>58488988
probably not, depending on who you are and what else you carry on you.

i do use a 15" laptop for school, but it's an ultrabook so it has the same weight as a paperclip
>>
File: IMG_20170115_125144.jpg (857KB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170115_125144.jpg
857KB, 4160x3120px
>>58488988
>for college students out there, is a 15.6" too much to carry around classes comfortably?

Yes. It's especially hard if you factored in textbooks, stationeries,other stuff like chargers, HDDs, et cetera. Worse if you you don't have a car or bike and had to rely on public transport
>>
>>58488988
I have used both a 13 inch and 15 inch in college and have not noticed much of a difference...most desks in lectures and shit are small enough that no matter what laptop you put on it, it will fill up the whole thing.
>>
>>58490089
My exact problem.
I don't want to do cuhrazy 4K gaming on my laptop, just playable fps but every single 1050 laptop is overpriced shit. It really makes no sense to not just buy a 1060 laptop for that money.
>>
I recently discovered if you're in burger land you can get a 4k deductible on school expenses (laptops and books) if your uni requires you to get a laptop. I think I'm going to get the most expensive surface book and write it off.
>>
>>58488988
X220 masterrace reporting in here, senpai.
>>
File: 1482266873115.gif (499KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1482266873115.gif
499KB, 500x281px
What laptop within the $500-700 range lets me comfortably game dev on the go using Unity, UE4 and blender and pretend like I'm actually achieving something with my life.
>>
>>58493421
Lenovo ideapad with A10 is the bare minimum
>>
Need a portable ish laptop that can do semi-intense image processing stuff (lots of image registration tasks), any suggestions? Probably need an i7 of some sort and decent memory. Seems like anything with a powerful enough i7 (n700HQ) also has some GPU that I don't need
>>
>>58488988
I carry a T510 (15.6") to school every single day. It's not a huge issue carrying it in a backpack and I honestly don't see how people make do with a 13 inch. Unless you have a bigger screen at home, I would recommend 15" for a daily-driver.
>>
Okay, I guess this would be the thread where I ask the question.

I'm a generic college student who's majoring in CS. I need a good laptop that will last me throughout the rest of college (2+ years) and I'm not sure what to get. I'm looking at the XPS 13 or 15 and they seem like the only real options. Macbooks are shit and OSX is shit too, so that's out the window and I would like something that's pretty light, but powerful. Is there a better competitor? I've looked at the Surface line and the tablets aren't powerful enough, while the Book is just too fucked with the hinge and software issues. What does /g/ suggest?
>>
I carry an Acer F15 (16 inch, 2.4 kG, low range gaming laptop) to school everyday, and is usually not a big problem.

Only issue would be when I have to carry a lot of materials around with me, but otherwise the size is just fine
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.