[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Forums?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: hosts.png (60KB, 954x199px) Image search: [Google]
hosts.png
60KB, 954x199px
Hey I would like to make my own forums, just a general one for discussion over anything and everything. I have always been interested in it and would like to quit waiting and just do it, even if it fails miserably. I have a domain name and cash for a server host, but I just don't know really which is good.
Seems like people love and hate Hostgator/GoDaddy/BlueHost but at the same time love them.
I have had a few people recommend Arvixe/Dreamhost/1&1 but non ever really give me a reason why.

I pretty much would like it to look decent without being a wall of text and not be wordpress. I actually want it to be customizable and I know a little html ect and can learn the rest if it's needed. Any opinions or help out there? Thanks to all who respond!
>>
>>58484812
Digital ocean.
>>
>>58484979
That looks promising thank you so much! I will look into that one definitely
>>
>>58484979
I would also like to run ads for revenue eventually to keep the server up by itself, does this allow that?
>>
>>58484812
beware of bots registering and spamming it. btw, don't be upset if it won't work out well, most people are on social media now, the age of forums is over.
>>
I'd recommend hosting of a VPS at first rather than a web-only server and then later moving to a dedi if your forum project takes off. I suggest OVH, I have nothing but good history with them.
>>
>>58485248
I agree about the VPS, check Lowendbox and get one you can add bandwidth to later so you don't waste money if it isn't for you.
>>
>>58485208
I have heard that alot but if you can get any forums site with any niche like gaming tutorials and find a way to generate traffic it will work out. It might not be millions of dollars but it's a nice place to start out I feel. and yeah bots are just ugh
>>
>>58485248
>>58485275
Well see I can't build my own forums desu, not on my knowledge alone so I was hoping there was a customizable forums option for some host. Wordpress looked cool but not enough customizations ect. I was thinking of using something like simple machines? idk, as I said im new to this
>>
>>58485308
Xenforo seems to be the new "in" meme
>>
>>58485476
that looks promising as well but im not about to shell out that kind of money for something
>>
I wish there was some kind of established concept of Forums where the users don't have to register in order to post.

Something like a chan, but with more organization, if you know what I mean.

Most people don't post because of not wanting to register
>>
File: vbunregistered_usergroupsettings.png (105KB, 2115x1001px) Image search: [Google]
vbunregistered_usergroupsettings.png
105KB, 2115x1001px
>>58486071

You can actually do this on vBulletin; pretty sure if you did you'd just get spammed by bots so fast that you'd crash the database, but... it is possible.

Just set the unregistered usergroup to have posting settings, and then anyone could post as guest without logging in.

t. oldfag forum admin
>>
>>58486429
Yeah but I think the concept is still wrong. Each post should directly have a text box or the text box must be automatically visible.
Just like in smartphone chat applications, the text entry field stays when reading other messages, no matter what

Something similar is something that doesn't exist yet. Also forums with avatars and all that shit are way too much overkill
>>
SIMPLE
MACHINES
FORUMS
>>
>>58486510

Yeah, pretty much.

I like the organization of forums, but (as the current ones which exist are designed) they're dead as fuck in terms of being a viable site/community format these days.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.