[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ Stupid Question Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 43

File: mem gaurds is.jpg (417KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mem gaurds is.jpg
417KB, 1024x768px
none /pol/ edition

Last thread >>58462765
>>
>>58470666
Just found out that MS still allows free Windows 10 upgrades.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

So I pulled out all my old PCs and I'm running the upgrade to license them, but one is telling me that the CPU is not compatible. Its a Pentium D Presler. wtf ms

Is there a way to force the upgrade anyway?
>>
Which VST is good to start with if you're a beginner?
>>
>>58470666
i got a xeon e31230v5. you can only oc by turning up the base clock. i gave got it to 4ghz. anyone got it to anything higher?
>>
mpc-hc or mpc-be?
>>
>>58470666

Could electronics be damaged if they're used while a power cord is loosely connected?
I accidentally pulled out my router's AC adapter slightly yesterday while I was cleaning it. I continued browsing the internet for a couple hours with intermittent connection issues before I noticed the problem.
>>
File: fa5.jpg (125KB, 1024x577px) Image search: [Google]
fa5.jpg
125KB, 1024x577px
I'm planning on buying a new PC /sqt/, but I've been pretty much out of the loop for the past ~5 years

Here's my current PC:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 (3.2ghz)
8 gigs of ram
Geforce 9800GT (it's humiliating, I know)

Is anything worth keeping at all? Or just trash the whole thing and start over from scratch? My budget is about 350-400 dollars.
>>
>>58471148
Upgrade the whole set, but if you're not planning on gaming you can keep the 8gb of ram.
>>
>>58471148
You can eBay Flagship parts for your gen, and max everything out on the cheap.

Example, Get the Black Edition Phenom X4 9850B on eBay. Its like $30.
Max out your RAM
Look on Craigslist for anyone selling a SLI video card setup. I recently saw a pair of GTX 680s go for $200. Or you can find a cheapo 980TI for around $300ish.
Oh, and upgrade to an SSD. That will be the single best speed boost.
>>
is 8 gigs of ram enough for 1080p high-medium gaming?
>>
>>58471276
The 9850 is a Phenom 1 you mongoloid.
>>
>>58470666
Need some outside perspective.

Got a job offer at IBM, Fidelity and Forcepoint. Does anyone have experience from either company about their culture or work environment? All jobs are in IT (cyber security) but was wondering if anyone have some info about either and how they work within
>>
How stupid of an idea is it to modify my locale to show the year as "current year + 2"?
>>
>>58471342
no you need 16 to at least support chrome
>>
>>58471342
Yes.
I'm running 8GB DDR4 and its more than enough to max out any game at 1080p
>>
>>58470725
So the PC has a Pentium D 820, and the upgrade utility tells me its not compatible.
I have seen Windows 10 run on Pentium D.

I can buy a 960 for $30 on eBay right now. Should I?
>>
File: asdf.png (103KB, 1592x1103px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
103KB, 1592x1103px
i decided to try some google alternative and my choice was the startpage
everything works fine except for image results
(it's not because ublock or umatrix)
what went wrong?
>>
>>58471391
My bad. Fine. Phenom II X4 980

$65 shipped on eBay
>>
I want to dual boot. How many partitions do I need to make in Windows for Linux? Is one enough?
My idea of it: partition C: with Win OS and partition D: for other Win files; partition E: for Linux OS - is that enough? Does the Linux divide the 3rd partition I set in Windows itself or do I need to do it myself?
>>
File: powerline.jpg (24KB, 491x301px) Image search: [Google]
powerline.jpg
24KB, 491x301px
>>58470666

I recently installed powerline ethernet in my house since my router is a bit too far from my desktop to play online games well over wifi. However, maybe once or twice a night, the connection will crap out for 5-10 minutes before seemingly being fixed on it's own. This does not happen over wifi (although that connection is obviously consistently worse) and it didn't happen when I ran a longass ethernet cable to my desktop as a test. Any ideas on things I could try to resolve this? Or is this just a known issue with powerline ethernet?
>>
>>58471556
you can do partitioning with linux instalator
you can also install linux on one partition but (if that matters for you) it'd be better to separate / from /home. (also /swap if not enough RAM or /boot if you want to use "exotic" filesystem)
>>
>>58471556
You don't make partitions for Linux in Windows anyway. You only make empty space on the drive.
Make sure to read a guide.
>>
File: Capture.png (166KB, 708x908px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
166KB, 708x908px
>>58470666
I'm trying to create a uBlock Origin element filter to hide reposts on soundcloud. I have the appropriate selector figured out to find the list items which are reposts (pic related), but how to I now block those items at the
.activity
or
.soundList__item
level? Is this even possible?

Here's the selector:
.soundList__item > .activity > .streamContext > .soundContext > .soundContext__line > .soundContext__repost
>>
How would I enable FreeSync on an Asus MG248Q?

I would like to have it via Displayport, but it's only 1.2 and I've been told it's only on 1.3 and above.
>>
>>58471583
Something in your house is causing interference on your power lines. Could be anything, try to figure out what's turning on at the times you experience interruptions.
>>
>>58470666
What's the best site to build computer around 700 euros? I mean if i'd have to ship parts because i live in europe.
>>
>>58471841
pcpartpicker.com
you can change your location on the top right
>>
I just got a laptop what do?
>>
>>58471768
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Procedural-cosmetic-filters#subjecthasarg
.soundList__item:has(.soundContext__repost)
>>
>>58471889
Laptop things.
>>
>>58470725
>>58471483

The Pentium D supports everything Windows 10 is asking for.
NX is enabled in the BIOS, and I even force enabled it in the cmd promt. Still wont allow me to upgrade to Windows 10.
>>
>>58471901
perfect, thanks anon
>>
>>58471880
I mean i'm not from 1st world country, so that might be a problem.
>>
>>58470919
ADSL? Most likely your filter, too easy to break those fuckers.
>>
I have a laptop with Windows installed and no visible product key. How do I test whether I like Linux on it without having to infringe copyright to go back?
>>
>>58472074
use a livecd
>>
>>58472074
speccy should tell you your cd key, or there's a vbs script you can run to get it
>>
>>58471507
nobody?
>>
>>58472312
just use duck duck go like a normal person
>>
>>58472381
okay but i'm curious what could cause such an effect
>>
>>58472389
could be the browsers rendering, custom css, window scaling, their shitty scaling, your DE being fucked, who knows.

If it's only that site, it could be just them not supporting your browser version.
>>
>>58471507
>>58472389
have you visited that page before?
I see a white background, yours is blue.
if you did, then an old stylesheet might be still cached in your browser.
Try Ctrl-F5.
>>
>>58472410
that's not it
>>58472409
>it could be just them not supporting your browser version
yeah, it's probably this. tho it could be some add-on as well as i tried a vanilla one
>>
How the hell do I read www.spec.org? I want to find the most computationally powerful processor but I don't understand the charts. How can I tell what manufacturer they're from? It seems like they're all Intel.
>>
So I finally got the hdmi wire for my 24mp68 monitor and enabled freesync on it, but in doing so, the screen moves up and comes out from ther bottom.

This only affects windows, but not the games on it.
>>
>>58470666
So I just upgraded my rig with ram, new cpu, new gpu, and new PSU, and while it works when I restart it I have to turn the PSU on and off a few times and it will say, "system failed to boot several times" and then it will load without issue. What gives?
>>
>>58470862
>mpc
i'd also like to know
>>
File: monitors.png (18KB, 3840x1175px) Image search: [Google]
monitors.png
18KB, 3840x1175px
>>58472727
Here's a picture of the two monitors with printscreen
>>
>>58472086
speccy must have gutted the feature and the vbs script just prints a bunch of Bs.
>>
What tools would you recommend I buy to clean my PC? I know you need canned air but I'm useless when it comes to deciding what to buy, so anything specific would be appreciated.
>>
>>58473011
It sounds as though you have a corporate version of Windows, since there's no key in your registry files. These only offer a one-time install and to get the key you'll need to contact the people that installed it onto your machine.

So instead what you can do is create a separate partition with Linux and when you boot up your PC you will be asked which OS you wish to use.
>>
>>58472727
>>58472986
Nevermind, I solved it.

It was an error in the monitor properties and having one of the windows moved along with a bug with having the monitor snapshotting it when you enable it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1366x734px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1366x734px
>>58467417
Works in firefox here
>>
>Press power switch to turn on computer
>Fans spin for half a second, then stop
>About five seconds pass
>Computer turns on, boots normally

What the actual fug
>>
Let's say you're a digital painter/animator who uses Photoshop and wants to make games so it would be nice to have accurate colors BUT you also play a crapload of shooters and have never experienced playing games 144 FPS on a 144 Hz monitor and want to make games that operate at this speed.

And let's say the best monitor you have ever used is this:
http://www.samsung.com/us/business/support/owners/product/LS23WHUKFK/ZA

~

Between the following two monitors, which one would you pick? Let's say they are the same price.

1) Dell Ultrasharp 24" InfinityEdge Monitor U2417H (IPS panel @ 60 Hz)
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=210-AHGF

2) ASUS MG248Q 24" LED Gaming Monitor (TN panel @ 144 Hz)
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MG248Q/
>>
first pc build. Where can i trim the pricing a little? to be used as a gaming pc and general web surfer.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pMknNN
>>
What's the best free/easily pirated IDE?
>>
>>58473634
get a H110 motherboard and a cheaper case
>>
>>58473653
IDE for what?
>>
>>58473634
Fact, but don't skimp on RAM (quality that is, not quantity, anything over 8gb is a meme unless you do video editing or VM stuff a lot.), those things are fucky bastards and the extra spent will save you a lot of trouble.
>>
>>58473694
Sorry, I wasn't very specific.
C++/C#/Java at least, with a compiler.
>>
>>58473722
visual studio community, intellj IDEA, visual studio code

all free.
>>
>>58473631
You contact a big box store and see which model is their most popular.
>>
>>58473745
Thanks.
>>
File: hp-elitebook-2560p-keyboard.jpg (168KB, 550x332px) Image search: [Google]
hp-elitebook-2560p-keyboard.jpg
168KB, 550x332px
>>58470666
Would anybody help me identify what keyboard layout this is? I'm running debian and all of the secondary function keys dont work or are binded to the wrong key.
>>
>>58473699
what would be "quality" RAM? complete newb sorry
>>
>>58473634
WD Blue is $10 cheaper than the Segate and generally better quality. If all your SDD is going to be is OS + a few select programs, then 120GB will suit you instead of 250GB. Your case can come WAY down in price, around to $50-80. No need for a $140 case.

That alone should save you $100+

There's also not a ton of point in the Z series motherboard if you aren't getting a -K series CPU (and don't plan on getting one), so you can settle for an H series mobo. Should be another $30-50 knocked off there too at least.
>>
>>58471889
Put it on your lap.
>>
>>58471703
how much space does each partition take? let's say i have 100 GB to distribute
>>
File: rudy the cyber.jpg (28KB, 248x385px) Image search: [Google]
rudy the cyber.jpg
28KB, 248x385px
what is going on here?
>>
>>58472074
VM

>>58473548
It's groaning and telling you "5 more seconds".
Almost every computer I've used does this; mine does it. It could be one of a few reasons, either A) it runs on a curve and just stores the last value before shutdown, and just goes to that value when it turns on. ii) the voltage change caused it to turn its fans on in preparation. Or 3) the computer just turns everything on to test if they're alive or there, which causes the CPU to think it has a heavy load. It could be any one of those, I don't know.

>>58473722
Intellij is good. Unless you want to download 16 TiB of random microsoft crap bundled together, stay away from visual code. Unfortunately, most average people don't share that sentiment, so if it's marketability you're going after, get used to visual studio.

>>58473815
>look up "linux change keyboard layout"
>first result is debian wiki
I swear to God this spooks me out every time.
This will probably solve your problem. https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard (I'm saying just rebind your keys or make your own layout, but I'm not really sure how easy/practical this is)
>>
>>58474009
dang i was hoping that there was just a keybindings file i could download and be done with this problem.
>>
>>58470666
hookay.

So I have this PC with DVI out, and no spare monitor to connect it to.

I need to get into it. RDP is not setup on it, I dont have a windows password.

How can I blindly power it on, and get RDP working. I know the gpedit you need to do to remote in without a password, but I dont know if I can blindly do that.

Maybe power it on, ctrl alt del, and set a windows password from there? and hope that RDP is enebaled in system.

suggestions?
>>
>>58474092
Seems like an odd thing for a debian user to say. Here's a link to help you create your own keyboard layout, since that's the obvious first step.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Custom%20keyboard%20layout%20definitions?action=show&redirect=Howto%3A+Custom+keyboard+layout+definitions (ctrl+f, create. That is, if you can "ctrl" your ctrl button)
>>
When i install Ubuntu or an other Linux based OS with Dualboot parallel to Windows 7. can i easyly delete my ubuntu Installation when i want to get rid of it?

Also: Do i need a second Partition for it?
>>
How do I play webm in safari?
>>
>>58474277
>>58474277
yeah, second partition, and if you want to get rid of it, just delete the partition and reclaim the space by expanding your windows partition
>>
>>58473825
Just don't get the cheapest RAM you see,
>>58472940
Update: Needed to flash some new bios firmware, luckilly there was an easy utility for that so it was a snap.
>>
File: CIMG4794.jpg (820KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
CIMG4794.jpg
820KB, 2048x1536px
Be honest, how bad is it /g/? I took it off to repaste on the advice of someone here but the metal part tore clean off.

The pins are still good so could I just solder it back on somehow? I need to get it installed again before the boss comes back, its running a legacy server application for the store.
>>
Xubuntu is buggy. It'll sometimes not load up after sleep, and it'll loop forever while shutting down until it eventually crashes(?) on occasion. Should I reinstall it?
>>
>>58474458
No you should replace it with Fedora.
>>
>>58474480
>wayland
>>
>>58474277
Do >>58474390 but make sure to back up anyway. It's probably safe, but there's really only a couple ways you can fuck up everything, and this is close to one of those ways.

>>58474399
>Do you see someone's address when you buy from them, or just their name and contact info?
Isn't this the type of question you should ask before you sell something? Are you in a hurry to sell something illegal? I'm asking because you're in a hurry, trying to evade a question, and don't want your address to be seen. If so, I'd recommend just returning the money and cancelling the order. After that, do your research and then sell it again. If this is actually legal, google that question I quoted, and if the answer is "no", just continue with the sale.

>>58474414
>I need to get it installed again before the boss comes back
Not happening. You can't solder the pins back on for one, and two, you're doing this on carpet and you just set down a CPU on a carpet. I get this is probably bait, but just in case it's not, you deserve to be fired for not following protocol and asking your boss for their advice.

>>58474458
May as well. Just save your config files for whatever programs you have opened RIGHT NOW and leave everything else. (also obviously save personal files, etc.)
>>
I followed this pastebin to install Windows 7.

http://pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

I am trying to activate Windows 7 using the loader from the pastebin, but an error in red appears when I run it saying "Unsupported Partition Table."

How do I get around this so I can activate Windows 7?
>>
Is there a youtube no country redirect extension for chrome? i hate using the cucknadian edition
>>
>>58474414
just duct tape the metal bit back on, it'll be fine
>>
is NVMe a meme or is it actually good?
rebuilding soon, thinking of replacing my boot drive
>>
>>58470666
How do I download linux(probably ubuntu) on my windows 10 computer. Ideally I would want a dual boot system so I could run one or the other, I need Linux for a program for research
>>
Updated from my s2
what apps do normies use
>>
>>58475364
google play store
>>
>>58475469
>gapps
>>>/out/
>>
>>58475327
http://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-16-04-alongside-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/
>>58475009
it's good
>>
File: 21ajzo3.jpg (122KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
21ajzo3.jpg
122KB, 500x500px
What in the fuck causes a soft brick on an S7 edge. I try not to download bullshit, just a simple root, and a removal of bloatware. Nothing out of the ordinary.
>>
>>58475490
normies don't use gapps?
>>
Error 0x490, windows 7. Restored gho to vmdk. Can't boot. Safe mode doesn't work. Pls halp I'm doing this for money
>>
File: Capture.png (33KB, 686x350px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
33KB, 686x350px
on mpv, can i assume that pic related means that my shaders loader correctly?
>>
>>58475740
Try http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-unable-to-boot-the-system-with-error-code-0x490-with-windows-startup-repair

If it still fails to boot then search Google for Windows boot error 490 and try different solutions
>>
File: Ancient City.jpg (3KB, 125x90px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient City.jpg
3KB, 125x90px
Hello /g/!

I was lurking /v/ today and I came across a thread about Nintendo's plan to have a paid online service.
The one one thing constantly said back and forth is that "Nintendo shouldn't charge a fee for online when it is so cheap!"

Now I know that thread is just a rant thread and I know that /v/ hates video games but it got me thinking...

Is cheap to maintain an online service?

I assume not when servicing up to millions of people at any given day, but a common comparison is to Valve and how they don't charge a fee. What do you think?

Thanks giving the time to read and answer this.
~Lurker

Pic unrelated, but still one of my favorites
>>
>>58471912
Early Pentium Ds have a bug in the CMPXCHG16B instruction, which 10 requires to be working.
>>
Will humans ever travel the stars?
>>
>>58475814
the steam model is "free" because they get a little piece of the pie with every game sold through them. I don't know for sure but would assume that if nintendo went with a paid subscription service then games would be included in that fee
>>
>>58475815
If I buy a top model Pentium D, would that resolve the issue?
>>
>>58475885
Nintendo takes an even bigger piece, don't they? Licensing fees to develop games for consoles are huge.
>>
Any other ausfags dealt with umart before? Do they usually take ages to restock items?

And to other anons, what would be a reasonable time to spend waiting for an online order (all necessary pc parts that is) to be ready for pickup?
>>
>>58475906
dunno, I'd imagine it would be a simmilar model to netflix though
>>
>>58475892
Not sure, the 9xx models may still have the issue. 32 bit windows 10 should still work, or if possible with your mobo, swap to a Core 2 chip.
>>
>>58470666
Using Firefox on Android to browse 4chan
Every fucking time I got reply the page goes to the topmost.
How do I stop this?
>>
>>58476099
>Core 2 chip.
oh yeah, forgot about that option.

Thanks
>>
how do i make a 4chan chrome extension that fiddles with 4chan
>>
I'm working for this professor on campus and he's been wanting a software to automatically take recordings from sessions and put them into text. Recently he's been getting impatient and sassy with me about it, so is there anything out there he can use so he can get off my back?
>>
>>58476338
watson
>>
>>58476407
Really. So I see this Tuesday's session here at all. Choose a ban on cyberstalking are. I grew up last week alone going over the entire. Capsule into a Starbucks. Sorry I hate within a half filled the Starbucks their own. I think a lot of John Adams I'm undertone. So some. I don't. Who they're from like 9:00 in the morning so I. Noon.

We have some work to do it seems.
>>
>>58476484
maybe dragon?
>>
>>58470862
MPV

or MPC-BE.
>>
>>58476542
Tried it, it was even worse than Watson.
>>
File: pc.png (32KB, 609x423px) Image search: [Google]
pc.png
32KB, 609x423px
>>58471148
> My budget is about 350-400 dollars.

Too low to get a new build, just upgrade your GPU and get an SSD.

Take my build for example, almost the same but with a R9 270X
>>
>>58471413
A lot of things won't work, certificates for example will show as expired.

Better do it on a VM.
>>
What's a reasonable amount of money one should spend on a home router? My desktop is plugged right in, so I'm not worried about games on wifi, it's really just for a couple of cell phones and media streaming to the TV downstairs.
>>
File: 91387811.gif (45KB, 207x237px) Image search: [Google]
91387811.gif
45KB, 207x237px
I have a Ducky Shine 4 and I'm having issues with the media keys on the top right.

Cal works fines (opens calculator)
Mute opens My Computer
Lower volume does nothing?
Raise volume opens my web browser

I tried using sharkpeys but it gives me the "Sharpkeys doesn't recognize this key" error when I try to type it.

Can anyone help?
>>
how do I install windows onto a different harddrive?

I don't have an install disk, I have windows 10
>>
>>58471148
I just built a PC using two Xeon 5560s and an RX 470. With case, ram, Mobo and everything else, I spent 400$. Old server stuff is hella cheap.
>>
what's the best linux distro for ricing? gentoo? arch?
>>
>>58476750
Arch by far
>>
>>58476750
arch

more options and not painfully slow when installing things
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (202KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
202KB, 1600x1200px
>>58470666
So i got pic related from work
>3gb ddr3
>intel dual core E7500

Think I want to turn it into a home server but would the cpu be enough to handle that? Would be my first time dabbling with a home router.
>>
>>58476735

Make a USB installer.
>>
Trying to get wifi tethering to work and, while it does indeed work great, services like Steam and U Play won't connect. Only way I can get them to connect is with Clockworkmod Tether software. That only works with USB tethering, though.

What exactly is preventing them from logging in? It works perfectly aside from that.
>>
Is there a particular way I have to backup a windows vista system to make sure it's still bootable if I decide to restore it to a formatted disk, or can I get away with just copying everything onto an external drive?
If not, are there any applications that can be run through live-cds or otherwise that don't require an internet connection and that won't copy the entire disk when 90% of it is empty?
>>
>>58476696
well, u need to serve several wireless client and a desktop reliably
if ur cool ud install ESXi on metal and run Sophos as ur firewall and router, free enterprise lvl software for home, or a 2nd hand fortigate/cisco/checkpoint if u care about that shit.or some midrange crap for less than $150
>>
>>58476709
try autohotkey
>>
What's the smallest case I can go for, with space for the most powerful hardware for hardcore gaming?
>>
>>58476859
Acronis if u can get it
>>
I was banned from 4chan. Apparently, I went to /pol/ and posted something with Jimmy Neutron. No, this isn't a troll post and I don't go to /pol/. Is this a normal thing for people to get banned for something they never did?
>>
File: 1404442392823.gif (1MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1404442392823.gif
1MB, 280x210px
>>58474364
>>
>>58476887
It looks like commercial software I'd have to pay for to use.
Is there anything a bit more in the price range of "free?"
>>
>>58475814
It depends on the service, for example the steam CDN in charge of distribution of games its obviously cheaper than sending you a physical copy through mail.

As for the servers for online games they belong to the developer of the game, steam just does the distribution, in the case of their own games they have community servers who are owned by third parties, official servers on the other hand are probably paid by items sales like keys and hats.

Finally there are the workshop services, and I'm not sure who currently pay's for those but it was supposed to be the paid mods thing that obviously fail.

That's how steam does it though, console manufactures like sony or microsoft who sell their hardware at a low cost to stay competitive, relies on online services to make money and for security reasons they host all of the game servers themselves.
>>
i have a question about torrenting
if you see a link with 16 seeders and 10 leechers, and another one with 4 seeders and 1 leecher, which one's faster?
>>
>>58476860

Thanks.
>>
>>58476907
It can happen if you have a non-static IP, or if the mods issued a range ban, or if you use a shared internet access point, or if you have a spilt personality disorder, or for some other reason.
Did you have the option to appeal?
>>
File: server.png (42KB, 551x516px) Image search: [Google]
server.png
42KB, 551x516px
>>58476784

I'm running a FreeNas server on a pentium g3250, with 4 jails(poor mans VM) all of them running a FEMP stack.

And i barely strain the CPU, the memory on the other hand its savagely used by the ZFS arc chache, the whole 12GB of it.

So yeah its more than enough for home server.
>>
>>58477052
I did not. It was only a 12 hour ban idk if that matters.
>>
Should i invest in onecoin
>>
Can I get a link to a torrent/download for Office 2016 Professional with working key/activation and no malware?
>>
>>58476859
>>applications that can be run through live-cds or otherwise that don't require an internet connection and that won't copy the entire disk when 90% of it is empty

Gparted live, use DD to copy the entire disk to a file, make sure to compress the file so you dont waste space, the command below should do, just replace sdX with the drive you want to copy and externalDrive as the mount point of the external drive.

dd if=/dev/sdX conv=sync,noerror bs=64K | gzip -c  > /externalDrive/backup.img.gz 
>>
>>58477101
I don't know, try spamming /biz/ with 4 different threads asking what you should invest in.
>>
So I have a desktop and laptop. When I click "safely remove hardware" or whatever it makes a noise on my desktop, however on my laptop it doesn't make a noise until I actually pull the sucker out. Went into sounds menu and made sure I had all the right stuff selected. is there anything I'm missing? The desktop is running pro if that makes a difference at all?
>>
>>58477150
I already have debian and a puppy Linux on live cds. Can I run that command through one of those, or do I need to make another with Gparted live specifically?
>>
>>58477056
ok, thx for the input. I think I a stick of ddr3 around to put in system totaling it to 4gb. Now ill just need to find some free network cards. Board has a pcie slot, 2 x pci and 1x pci mini.
>>
>>58477190
wow nevermind I'm an idiot
>>
>>58477024
Depends on the seeds, nobody can know for sure because 1 seed can be a dedicated seed box with 1Gbps throughput while the rest are just residential connections with asynchronous speeds, but most of the time the one with the biggest swarm (seeders + leechers) its faster.
>>
>>58477201
don't know for sure, but i think debian live dvd should have dd and gzip at least.
>>
>>58476934
clonezilla
>>
If you are paying for software, is there any reason to purchase Office 365 - which has a yearly subscription bill, over just making a one time purchase of Office Professional (or home/student)?
>>
>>58477256
Alrighty, I'll try and run it with debain and if it doesn't work I'll set up another cd with Gparted live.
Thank you.
>>
>>58470666
Would you list

Common sense
Sense of humour

in your resume??
>>
File: tegaki.png (6KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
6KB, 400x400px
>>58477283
I feel bad for making this graph.
>>
>>58477311
No because I have the common sense not to add random cutesy bullshit to a resume.
>>
>>58477331
post resume for funsies
>>
>>58477342
N-no... It has too much personal info on it.
>>
>>58477357
put it in paint, scratch the personal shit out list only skills and achievemnts?

Im making one for the first time in ten years.. I feel my achievements list looks like bragging, specially since it almost falls into the category of doing my job
>>
I'm building a stream PC out of a old hp tower I was given I put Linux mint Cinnamon on it and kodi and it runs fine just straight VGA (Only output it has) and i got a adapter its a GE brand one from Walmart but now nothing displays on my TV when i go to hook it up Ive tried switching HDMI ports and cleaning out the connections is there something i missed?
>>
File: 1484075553252.jpg (55KB, 957x621px) Image search: [Google]
1484075553252.jpg
55KB, 957x621px
Can a CPU bottleneck on graphics cause the tearing/stuttering I've been getting? Toggling vsync and disabling/switching my compositor doesn't seem to help too much.

I know that trying to stream video fullscreen on my 4K monitor makes it overheat.

I have an i5 Haswell, but it looks like newer processors are hardly better than that at all.

...Did I cuck myself trying to upgrade to 4K?
>>
where can i get a good, non meme desk? i have a 6 year old ikea pos and i think it's time to upgrade. even just a good site as a starting point would be amazing.
>>
>>58477436
Come up with a design you like and take it to a local cabinetmaking business to build it for you.
>>
>>58477453
Woodshops will slaughter you with the price
>>
>>58477453
i literally would've never thought about that. thank you
>>58477465
oh shit would they? i don't wanna spend too much
>>
>>58477465
it's an investment anon, a solid wood desk with minimal care will last generations. of course that means there are plenty of desks out there already, check out thrift stores and estate sales
>>
How retarded am I if I can't get MAME to work?

I just want it to work like a standard emulator, loading rom files, maybe a dsp / bios you have to google for because it's copyrighted, easy. But I have to navigate through a database of games I don't have, find the ones I do have, and then not run them because I'm missing some driver or parent file, individual dependencies for each arcade machine, which MAME won't tell me any details about. And there are 200 revisions of each rom out there, I have to try each of them one by one and when I don't need dependencies I get met with "THIS GAME IS CURRENTLY UNSUPPORTED BY THE EMULATOR."
>>
>>58477465
>>58477473
Depends on the cabinetmaker, but generally you are paying a premium for garbage materials when you buy from IKEA etc.

When you get furniture custom built from a reputable cabinetmaker, you will get a design that suits your needs and the material used will be of higher quality.

Full disclosure: I am a cabinetmaker.
>>
>>58477481
>will last generations
You remember you're on /g/, right?
>>
File: conv.jpg (14KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
conv.jpg
14KB, 500x500px
>>58477415
VGA to HDMI Converters are dodgy at their best, i hope you bought one that say's converter and not adapter because if you did then you got scammed.

The difference its in the function, the converter takes an analog signal and turns it on a digital one, most of the time they also require an external power source like pic related.

An adapter doesn't make a conversion, it just help you plug one thing into another like a molex to sata adapter, the signal its same, the only difference its the connector.
>>
>>58477150
>>58477256
Debian kept encountering odd graphical garbage before I could figure out what the names of the drives were, but the command ran on puppy Linux just fine.
The target destination being smaller than the total size of the source drive won't be an issue will it? the amount of data that is actually on the drive will all fit on the flash drive.
>>
What is the absolute best antivirus?
Free or pay?
>>
>>58477541
I don't use it nor have I in years but I would legitimately trust my russian pal Kasperky
>>
how do i switch the view in ms office to look at more than one page at a time?
>>
>>58477415
Like the other guy said, it's probably the wrong thing and not converting to digital. Instead of buying another converter, get a cheap low-profile video card with an HDMI port. It should cost about the same and look better.
>>
File: file.png (67KB, 744x218px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
67KB, 744x218px
>>58477561
depends on your version, mine is here, try zooming out as well
>>
>>58477534
>The target destination being smaller than the total size of the source drive won't be an issue will it?

No because you're passing the output of dd to gzip which compresses the empty space to nothing.
>>
>>58477056
Could I ever replace the cpu on that mobo or is it soldered on? In case i come across more free stuff at work. >>58476784
>>
>>58477592
Ok Cool, thanks. It's working so far.
If it's not too much trouble, could you also provide me with the command to run to decompress the file, so I won't have to ask for it later if I need it?
>>
File: partitions.png (6KB, 1278x98px) Image search: [Google]
partitions.png
6KB, 1278x98px
how can i extend the D partition into the unallocated space when they are not adjacent?
>>
>>58477655
no
>>
>>58477655
make a liveCD of some linux distro and use GParted, that's way better than the shit windows has
>>
>>58477617
Gee i don't know, have you tried opening the case maybe?.

I have worked with the HP counter part of this type of workstation and the CPU was replaceable, also the intel ark page for the CPU shows that it uses a LGA775 socket so probably yes.

Just keep in mind that more powerful processors require better cooling, and most of these PCs use proprietary non standard CPU coolers so better get an extra fan in there if you're gonna upgrade it.
>>
>>58470666
>how do i install gentoo
>>
>>58477635
 gunzip -c /path/to/backup.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdX 

Also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/disk_cloning
>>
>>58477691
Neato. Thanks for all the help, friend.
>>
>>58477655

You're gonna have to move the F partition into the unallocated space which its painfully slow on windows, better do as >>58477670 says.
>>
>>58476784
Server for what kind of use?
>>
File: 51AKZPqXXfL._SX425_.jpg (51KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
51AKZPqXXfL._SX425_.jpg
51KB, 425x425px
>>58477530
>>58477565
thanks for the help guys ill just return the adapter and buy a low profile graphics card
>>
File: IMG_20170114_003539.jpg (2MB, 4032x1362px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170114_003539.jpg
2MB, 4032x1362px
How do I merge that unallocated space? It's greyed out for me. Is it possible to do this without losing data that's in the volume?
>>
>>58477722
>>58477670
there are no 3rd party programs capable of doing it for me? I already have a linux instillation so i guess i can boot to that.
>>
>>58470666
any korora or fedora bros here when i close out of canja it doesnt wanna open anymore i tried the command but it doesnt work
>>
>>58477792
partitions larger than 2048GB/GiB might not be supported
>>
>>58477221
ahhhh i get it now
thanks dude!!
>>
>>58477820
pgrep canja
to see if it's still running
try killing it if it is with pkill canja
then start it with a terminal to see what messages are printed
>>
>>58477678
I see. Well just incase I come across more lga775 desktops at work to get.
>>58477723
Home router, one day ill set up a NAS.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170114-004505.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170114-004505.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>58470666
How do you Rice Android lock screen? I want to hide the status bar and the charging notification of possible.
>>
>>58477821

So impossible? What about using Gparted?
>>
>>58477881
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2581408
>....the device must be initialized by using the GUID partition table (GPT) partitioning scheme.

So if that's XP you can't have a partition greater than 2TB

That page seems to have instructions for initializing the disk with GPT so partitions can be larger than 2TB
>>
>>58477911

It's Windows 7
>>
>>58476879
https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4.php
>>
>>58477922

As he said, you can't do it if you're using a MBR, but there's a way with GPT.
>>
>>58477953
Holy fucking shit that's small. Thanks.
>>
>>58477956

So what can I do to merge without losing data?
>>
>>58477988
maybe, read through the link to see if there's anything
>>
>>58471583
check if anyone is using the microwave or anything consumes shitloads of electricity.
>>
File: f.png (5KB, 171x144px) Image search: [Google]
f.png
5KB, 171x144px
What's the meaning of this hazard/warning sign?
>>
>>58478056
"Warning!"
>>
>>58478065
Warning about what? Biohazard, high voltage, toxic material, or is it just a general warning?
>>
>>58478056
Achtung!
>>
File: f.png (133KB, 641x1162px) Image search: [Google]
f.png
133KB, 641x1162px
>>58478056
I can only identify 9 of these.

What do these signs mean?
>>
what is the best glossy hd easy usable distro
>>
>>58478090
>or is it just a general warning?
Yes. If it's not accompanied with any explanation, someone screwed up.
>>
any of yall do nofap
not a tech related question but I can't come to any conclusion whether it's bad or good from the internet
tried it myself for a week or two and it felt amazing, but then i got scared with internet reports of the negative side effects and jerked off
now i'm reading again and there's equal reports saying the negative effects are bs
so i guess i'm just wondering if any of yall tried it, and how it went for you
>>
>>58478179
1. Never seen it, but with crossbones means lethal/toxic hazard
2. No access to area
3. Electrical/Shock hazard
4. Flammable substance
5. Biological hazard
6. Slippery surface
7. Attention (accompanied by text specifying what attention is being drawn to)
8. Emergency exit this way
9. Emergency muster/meeting point
10. Phone/Emergency phone here
11. First aid here.
12. Emergency exit downstairs
13. Fire extinguisher here
14. Fire alarm trigger here
>>
what linux distro loads windows files
>>
>>58478339
define "loads windows files"
>>
File: USB 5-pin connector.jpg (157KB, 1168x801px) Image search: [Google]
USB 5-pin connector.jpg
157KB, 1168x801px
What is this connector called?
It's a 5-pin connector on the inside of my keyboard.
I want to turn it into a USB type B connector on the outside of the keyboard.
>>
>>58478293
I didn't try it because jerking off helps against cancer and any benefit from not jerking off would simply be pure placebo anyway.
>>
>>58478339
What, like dll's? Those are the only windows specific "files" that I can think of.
>>
>>58478356
That would be a JST connector.
>>
>>58478362
yes the cancer thing is one thing i've read about
i didn't try it for any of the so called benefits either bro, i thought that was all some newage horseshit
i did it purely to test my willpower, wanted to see how long i could go if i really put my fuckin mind to it
and i don't give a fuck if it was placebo or not, i definitely felt the benefits
i really wouldn't mind living that lifestyle but i just don't fucking know if it's sustainable, i keep hearing different reports of people saying they've gone months and it is and people who've gone weeks and it isn't
fuggg why hasn't this bullshit been studied to a T already
>>
What can I actually do with a mac adress of someone elses phone, router or computer
>>
I recently acquired an Acer Aspire 3690-2196 (Celeron M 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD, XP Media Center 2005)

I've upgraded the RAM to 1.5GB and I was wanting to replace XP with a GNU/Linux installation on it. Which distro would you recommend based on the above specs?

I'm leaning towards arch, but I'm not really a ricer.
>>
>>58477792
You should have used a GPT partition table instead of MBR.
Backup all your data and reinitialize the disk with a GPT partition table, then you will be able to use all that space
>>
File: L3wuypa.jpg (159KB, 1533x961px) Image search: [Google]
L3wuypa.jpg
159KB, 1533x961px
>>58477429
Update: Reapplying my thermal compound cured the overheating issue, but I still get stuttering.

What the hell?
>>
>>58470666
aquaris x5 (with cyanogenmod) xs oneplus two - my main concern is privacy what're some thing I should take into consideration?
>>
>>58478489
1-3 Debian
4-6 Ubuntu
7-9 Arch
0 Gentoo
>>
>>58478432
mac address is just sort a a hardware based identifier - so track the user, blacklist them, whitelist them and I think using wireshark you can filter traffic based on mac address
>>
>>58478489
Lubuntu
>>
>>58478489
If you have to ask the question, Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu.
I reccomend MATE for the user friendliness out of box.
>>
I'm trying to install Free File Sync.

Every single time I run the install it immediately deletes itself without any notification.

Running brand new install of Windows 8.1. Have disable AV to no avail.

Any help?

http://www.freefilesync.org/
>>
Is Gentoo a meme?

No, really, is it a meme? I'm sitting here watching the kernel compile and I don't get why I'm doing this.
>>
>>58478715
it's useful for some people
just install arch linux or debian testing or unstable
>>
File: Bt mouse.jpg (86KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Bt mouse.jpg
86KB, 1024x1024px
Will a 5 ghz or dual band wifi router fix bluetooth mouse lag on my android tablet? I'm using bluetooth mouse and keyboard simultaneously.

Right now I'm using a 2.4 ghz router.

Question 2: I read somewhere that changing 11n setting> channel bandwidth from 20/40 mhz to 20 mhz will reduce lag. So I did that and I did feel some improvement. Is it placebo or does it really help?
>>
>>58478742
Devices mostly stick to the 2.4 band anyway. You may reduce some traffic, but I doubt it's enough to have a major impact.
>>
>>58478742
It may. Keep in mind some devices cannot use Bluetooth and WiFi at the same time. They simply "co exist" one turns off for a few mili seconds, and then back on for a few mili seconds. etc.

What lag are you talking about? you should run on 20/40 for best performance.
>>
>>58478715
Gentoo and Arch are both memes

>Debian master race
>>
>>58478762
The cursor lags, as in, it does not move around as smoothly as a wired mouse does.
>>
monitor recommendations? How do I find one that is good for video games without searching "gaming monitor" like a retard. I want a higher refresh rate and low input delay, but I have no idea what is good and a fair price

pic related, what I have used for the past 10 years
>>
>>58478715
"install gentoo" is a joke about how hard it used to be to install it. It's not actually a recommended distro. Ubuntu or one of its variants will work well for most users. If you have a specific reason, you can move up the food chain to debian
>>
File: shit.jpg (23KB, 447x500px) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
23KB, 447x500px
>>58478830
>>
>>58478758
Oh. Yeah that makes sense. If I set the router to only use 5 ghz, will that help? I don't know if that possible. I've never used a 5 ghz router before hehe...
>>
>>58478830
benq or dell
>>
>>58478732
>>58478798
>>58478837
Debian it is then, thanks
>>
>>58478830
grab a CRT monitor from the computer recycling center
>>
>>58478762
> devices cannot use Bt and wifi at the same time

Hmm.. if that's the case with my tablet then there nothing I can do. Ah well it's not entirely unusable at present so I guess I can try to cope kek
>>
my distro isnt saving my progress im a new fag how do i put this permanently on my usb
>>
>>58478830
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XBEI
>>
>>58478859
Why are you choosing debian over ubuntu?
>>
>>58478875

Maybe learn how to word your problem properly instead of writing like a fucking retard?
>>
>>58478875
type sync in your terminal
>>
>>58478859
I run the latest Debian (jessie) x64 with cinnamon desktop on my laptop, works flawlessly. Only thing that didn't work right after installing was the wi-fi driver which was a simple plug in with ethernet and 1 terminal command to fix
>>
>>58478850
Well a lot of older devices won't function at all over 5ghz, and even some new ones don't include it. Also switching wouldn't stop other interference like microwaves or your neighbors wifi. I would guess that if you're having lag it's more a problem with the mouse itself
>>
>>58471148
Thats a pretty good system honestly, if you aren't trying to do anything too demanding like play the latest games at 4k just upgrade the graphics card and you're good. My media/gaming rig is very similar, Quad Core AMD Opteron @ 2.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD7850 2GB. I can max out any game thats a couple years old easily
>>
>>58471454
I am only running 8GB DDR2 even with the same results. Unless you are playing really new games with very high requirements 8GB is fine
>>
>>58478530
Ok, how do I trace that "user"?
>>
>>58471583
Probably something big like the blower motor for the furnace starting up, they draw quite a lot of current, enough to make the lights dim in my parents house
>>
>>58471342
For medium and some settings on high, yes.

Anyone who tells you they can "max out" a recent game at 1080p/60fps with 8gb of ram, or with low end cards like the gtx 1060 is full of shit.

"Max out" meaning Ultra settings on everything, draw distance set to the furthest, and anitaliasing set to the highest.
>>
>>58478981
if they're on your network use their mac address as a filter
>>
>>58473548
Pretty normal, basically any server type motherboard will do that and some regular desktops do as well, some kind of self test probably. I have a gaming desktop built with a server motherboard that does the same thing
>>
>>58478904
I didnt like Unity

>>58478922
I went ahead and grabbed the non-free firmware image and everything seems fine so far
>>
>>58479025
Nobody likes unity. Not liking the DE is the dumbest reason to switch to debian. Just pick up Lubuntu or Install a new DE over ubuntu
>>
>>58478923
Oh okay. And hey thanks for answering!
>>
>>58474414
jesus christ

If this is real its fucked, the whole die has ripped off
>>
How would I go about making custom textures for games emulated on pcsx2 or dolphin?

What's a good way to start or begin? I've really got no experience making shit but I've got an interest.
>>
File: f.png (23KB, 1150x813px) Image search: [Google]
f.png
23KB, 1150x813px
Can someone fill out this table for me?

>Click on the link below and print the Risk Matrix, Consequence and Likelihood Tables. You will use these tables in a following document for this assessment task.
>www.healthcaregovernance.org.au/docs/risk-matrix.doc
>Document Four:
>In the document at the end of this assessment task, you need to identify 3 risks within the Fitness, Sport and Recreation Industry, rate the risks using the Risk Matrix from Document Two above, and provide at least three control measures for each risk. Ensure in the document below you outline the type of activity within the industry you are completing the risk assessment for eg outdoor group fitness session, junior football training session, bushwalking, etc
>>
When they want several years of job experience in a given field (which I don't have) - how do I go around this when applying for the job?
Blatantly make shit up, ignore it in my apply or try to weasel myself round it by selling small private projects and studying as experience.
>>
if i have code the calculates the exponential of a function in python
and the identical code translated into C++ will the method that calculates the exponential be faster to compute a few millions calls in C++ or python or neither. where will i see a real speed-up with a compield language if not here
>>
>>58478876
Thanks, I'm probably going to go with this one. I wish I could afford a 27' 1440p screen.
>>
>There isn't enough power to boot a windows on a harddrive plugged in USB
why tho?
What is the minimum?
>>
File: crystal massage.png (35KB, 250x213px) Image search: [Google]
crystal massage.png
35KB, 250x213px
How can I disable a trackpad on a laptop? (DEll Inspiron)
>>
>>58479346
try this
http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN114937/EN
>>
>>58479094
>[..]by selling small private projects and studying as experience.

1) formal education counts as previous experience
2) experience in the field in the form of a hobby (assuming no job experience, education, qualifications etc) counts as previous experience

if 2) you have to work far harder to sell yourself and if you're applying to a field with a high amount of competition you'll be scraping the bottle of the barrel

the secret to applying for jobs and climbing the job ladder is 95% knowing the connections, selling yourself, being confident, socialising (see: knowing people and connections), and any variation of these things, 5% actually being competent at the job, occasionally this isn't the case but this statement is a generalisation and if you're the type of person to take broad statements as being specific or conjecture then you can fuck right off

if you've ever had a job before just look at the broad range of people that will be employed, from the god awful person with zero personal hygiene that you can smell metres away to the person that barely does any work which makes you wonder why they're even employed, to the star performers who perform the same amount of work as the bottom 3-5 employees

they'll all generally be paid the same (tends to be only managers make more) however the difference is how likely they're let go when they can hire better people (in the case of personal hygiene or bad performers) however even this can be offset if you know the right people, notice how family members or good friends of the boss are almost never fired or let go through sheer incompetence or malice

tl;dr just fucking apply for the job, if you don't get it you'll lose at most a day or two, and if you do get it so long as you're not utterly incompetent it might take a few weeks to a few months before they realise you're entry level and fire you in which case you now have more experience to bullshit until the next job
>>
>>58479340
It varies greatly. Some drives work just fine on minimal power, others need a separate power cord
>>
I have a laptop I bought about a year ago. Over the course of the year, it had this random error of "not turning on". Sometimes it worked perfectly, sometimes it just didn't turn on(by the power button) in these cases, it didn't even charge with the adapter.

I finally had enough of it, and sent it to get it repaired, and they just told me they're done with it and that they "replaced the HDD board".

So my question is, can the HDD board actually be the cause for not powering on?
>>
File: BlackEdition.png (117KB, 500x408px) Image search: [Google]
BlackEdition.png
117KB, 500x408px
I'm being offered a case with AMD Phenom II 1090T (6 cores), a motherboard Asrock 890x extreme 3, 8 GB RAM module DDR3 1866 for 50 Eurodollars.

Thing is, I've Asus GeForce 1070 8 GB dual channel already purchased. My plan is to get it and upgrade the motherboard and cpu later this year.

Any potential problems you see with this?
>>
File: dopefish.gif (9KB, 523x486px) Image search: [Google]
dopefish.gif
9KB, 523x486px
What raw coffee beans should I get? The Nicaraguan stuff I got last time was underwhelming. Not buying roasted because it goes stale before I finish it.
>>
I have a 500 gb hdd that I replaced with an SSD for my laptop. I plan on filling it up with pornography in case the internet goes out. I am a bit older than /g/ and out of touch with the newer stars. What porn stars are similar to my old favorite Jenna Jameson? I don't want any black guys, and I don't want any violent gagging and face fucking like Sasha Grey.
>>
>>58479390
Your plan is to buy a computer and then replace the computer?
>>
>>58479094
>>58479371

and just to add to this, x years in a field is bullshit, what they mean by "4 years job experience" is "the lazy fuck we just fired had worked here for 4 years and we need a replacement" however the lazy fuck likely only managed a year of work at the best, and if your experience is a hobby you're passionate about you might be able to attain that same 1 year aka 4 years in a matter of 3-6 months if you're serious about it, of course this is assuming you have little experience with the hobby

if you don't know the connections, aren't confident, can't sell yourself well, then you'll have to apply to jobs that require less experience, entry level jobs to 1-3 years experience jobs are what to aim for, don't bite off more than you can chew, and all of this is assuming you're not applying to a field that *requires* formal education/certificates/qualifications/etc (such as healthcare or any field with serious regulation/insurance requirements)

and just as an anecdote, given the prevalence of new technologies in the IT industry some jobs will require more years of experience in a language/framework than a language/framework may have existed, the lenient way to interpret this is the job wants someone who knows their shit, the spiteful way to interpret this is the company hiring doesn't know their shit or let a non-technical HR/PR type firm write the application in which case you likely won't be talking to the technical staff during the interview in which case it purely becomes about that 95% being able to sell yourself, anyone can blag their way into a technical job if there's no technical staff in the interviewing process assuming they're slick and can sell themselves
>>
>>58479473
>>58479094

and as a final addendum the takeaway should be that interviewing people for jobs is extremely difficult and costly (which is why people tend to stick to friends/family/recommendations from staff), training people to a new job takes a lot of time and money, if you apply for a job that is over your head you should have a good few weeks to seriously study and commit to the job assuming you want it and if not you should still do it anyway for the experience on the next job you apply for, people are hired and fired all the time and if you're not purposely being malicious you'll only ever be "let go" for incompetency not fired in which case apply for the next entry level job until you get a job you can stay at for 6 months to a year - that's considerable job experience coupled with experience from informal hobby activities
>>
>>58479340

newer motherboards/chipsets do some serious fuckery with the usb ports and will require more driver support (for, say, high current draw) than uefi/bios will handle

get one of those older type external harddrive cases that come with a power brick and don't cheat by trying to use 2 usb sockets for power, they won't draw fuck all in terms of power from the usb port

>>58479377
>So my question is, can the HDD board actually be the cause for not powering on?

does it work now? if so you answered your own question

modern pc hardware is seriously complicated and a minor error can greatly skew things, take it as a blessing if it works because it's likely designed by idiots and has a hardware bug

>>58479390

€50 is cheap but don't expect miraculous performance, cpu will be the bottleneck and the next upgrade will likely be cpu + mobo + ram or just cpu if you can find a cpu compatible with such an old motherboard

AMD Phenom II 1090T is slightly worse than an i5-2500k, you'll struggle on cpu heavy games but on gpu heavy games you'll be fine
>>
>>58479439
I want to play games already, even if they are low spec shitty eroge novels and shota plataformers.

But I won't be buying anything other than the graphics card for months.
>>
>>58479530
>>58479523
Thanks for the answer!
>>
>>58479438
With porn being so abundant and immediately available now, only obsessive weirdos know the names. You're old, alone, and still only want vanilla stuff? That's interesting.

What I do is use a powerful vibro-wand and my imagination so I don't need porn to get off. I mostly just casually browse pics for a minute or two now and then.
>>
>>58479530
You'll likely need to reinstall or at least re-activate your Windows if changing system boards. Shota platformers exist?
>>
I found an option in the Nvidia control panel that let me switch between Limited RGB and Full RGB. Switching between both options makes no difference. Does this means my monitor can only display limited RGB? I'm using an LG 1080p 144hz monitor with a DVI-D cable. Maybe I should switch to DisplayPort?
>>
>>58479523
I don't have it yet, I'm just worried I'll have to send it back again. It sounds strange that they replaced "that" particular part.
And "does it work now?" isn't going to be easy to answer, since the original problem was random. It worked for a week straight, turn it off close the lid, and 2 days later it wouldn't turn on. So I'll only see after a good while if it really was the problem.
>>
>>58479554
It will be a new build. That won't be an issue.
>shota plataformers exist?
Install game maker and make it happen, anon.
>>
So my mate wants a PC for around 100€, something that is decent enough for really, really basic tasks. He suggested buying some used PC but all I see is trash and more trash (which is logical at that price to be honest).

Now, I bought a new PC a while ago, and my old one which is just gathering dust in a closet has these specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
6GB of DDR2 RAM
A 6850HD
A pretty fucked 13 year old case that I would replace

Should I help him out by selling this to him? Do you think there are better deals out there? He ain't even going to use it for more shit than torrenting, watching some movies and web browsing.
>>
>>58479690
I'm a neet piece of shit and I wouldn't charge a friend for that.
>>
File: 51azXiFqujL._SY346_.jpg (24KB, 230x346px) Image search: [Google]
51azXiFqujL._SY346_.jpg
24KB, 230x346px
>>58479690
>>58479737
Don't sell an old computer to someone you know. If they pay for it, they'll feel entitled to free tech support.
>>
I have now been learning Python and want to learn to read other people's code. Where can I find tons of simple (but not too simple) code to read?
>>
>>58479774
Sites like github and bitbucket should have plenty of code like that.
>>
>>58479737
Well shit, I would have to buy new parts anyways. I ain't spending 40 bucks for him to have it for free.

>>58479758
Eh, I'll try to have him not fiddle with crap he doesn't need
>>
I set up a lamp server on my raspberry pi. Now what stuff can I do to learn making web apps?
>>
>>58479774
G I T H U B
I
T
H
B
>>
File: slip.jpg (16KB, 281x349px) Image search: [Google]
slip.jpg
16KB, 281x349px
>>58470666
I lost a mount screw for my Cryorig H7. Should I mount it with 3 screws or will I fry my i7 doing so
Stuck on stock fan until I make a decision
>>
>>58479785
>>58479826
Aite, will do. Thanks.
>>
Is there a program that'll allow me to set some kind of timer on the fans for my gaming laptop? I keep manually starting them up with this sensor program I found but I don't always get to them in time.
>>
>>58471148
youre looking at either dumping money into an old as fuck machine that may or may not give a noticeable boost in performance, or you could go for a low end current gen machine and upgrade later

i suggest going with an lga 1150 system to start, with something like an i5 4460, which you can get for 100-120$ used
then of course get a mobo, ram, psu, cooler if the cpu didnt come with one, case, and storage

which should all together eat up that 300$, 400 if you go for higher end stuff

then save up money for a gpu, dont buy a gpu first, you can coast with a shitbox for a while before you can save up another 200-300$ and get something like an rx 480 or gtx 1060
and that will be a drastic performance boost
>>
>>58479847
I wouldn't. I think two opposite screws would work better than three screws. You should be able to find a new screw if you're not too helpless to determine the specs.
>>
>>58479858
Can't you just let it operate automatically? It's specifically designed to not destroy itself.
>>
>>58479865
thanks /g/
I'll keep looking for that screw but if I can't find it I'll see about getting another one
Should be somewhere in this room actually...
>>
What is 'wine' or 'dolphin'? Do I have to install windows/osx with them running to use stuff for windows/osx?

How do I decide which to use? Will it cause system instability?
>>
>>58479873
You'd think that but this laptop was used in beta testing so there's no telling what conditions the techs left it in. But whatever condition is, the "automatic" part only kicks in every now and then. If I'm playing a game for example, the fans seem to just check out entirely and the damn thing will just keep heating up until it seizes itself up. It's an Alienware 15 R2 running win10 64-bit, but I can't tell which part is the one generating the most heat.
>>
stupid question inc.

how do you get rid of skype for business from office pro plus 16?
>>
File: This computer Specy Screenshot.png (19KB, 486x426px) Image search: [Google]
This computer Specy Screenshot.png
19KB, 486x426px
How do I find out my motherboard spcifications?

I have a laptop so I dont want to open it up, Ive checked the bios which tells me the same thing as speccy. Want to buy an SSD and more ram for it. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>58479987
Are the parts integrated into the mobo? Usually with laptops, they are and replacing one item would require replacing the entire mobo itself.
>>
Will wiping bleach on my ceiling damage the paint?
>>
>>58479987
You have the model right there so you stick that in a search engine, maybe with "motherboard" after it.

>>58480003
Stop talking out your ass. It's still very common for laptops to have discrete memory and storage. This one does.
>>
File: ssd.jpg (61KB, 400x305px) Image search: [Google]
ssd.jpg
61KB, 400x305px
>>58479987

Opening and see what ports you have available its the best choice, especially if you plan to buy an nvme ssd m.2 because you need to know its a 22mm, 60mm or a 80mm slot, see pic related.

As for ram, most laptops have more than 1 slot so you could probably match the current stick of ram with a similar one, but you need to open it to make sure.
>>
File: Untitled.png (99KB, 490x758px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
99KB, 490x758px
>>58480003
>Are the parts integrated into the mobo? Usually with laptops, they are and replacing one item would require replacing the entire mobo itself.

No its a custom build job.

>>58480030
>You have the model right there so you stick that in a search engine, maybe with "motherboard" after it.

Ive done that. It brings me to other laptops being sold online with this motherboard but I cant find any specific specs. Like I wanna know if this thing will support DDR4? & What connections it supports for storage.>>58480095
>Opening and see what ports you have available its the best choice, especially if you plan to buy an nvme ssd m.2 because you need to know its a 22mm, 60mm or a 80mm slot, see pic related (the top of pic)

>As for ram, most laptops have more than 1 slot so you could probably match the current stick of ram with a similar one, but you need to open it to make sure.

Yea its got four slots for ram. My current 8gb slot is in slot 1, with there being a slot 0,2,3 availble. According to the bios anyways.

Ive included an expanded view of the motherboard in Speccy. I presume this can tell ye something? Also should I have my fastses storaqge device plugged into the ocet with 16 data lanes the opther sockets only have one data lane?
>>
As a teetotal whole foods vegan, what can I order at bars in Madrid so I'm not a waste of space?
>>
>>58480166
>should I have my fastses storaqge device plugged into the ocet with 16 data lanes the opther sockets only have one data lane?

I'm sure most of them are in use, especially the 16 lanes one who is probably connected to a GPU, the rest may be used by memory card readers, wifi, bluethoth, data modem, etc...

There's not a lot of documentation about available on slots on laptops, because most laptops of the same model are sold with different capabilities, take for example my thinkpad comes on 2 versions, one with a data modem and one without, i got the later version because i knew the slot where the data modem should be, would be free so installed an m2 ssd on there, there were even the antenna connectors for the modem hanging on.
>>
I get the blue screen of death every time i watch a youtube vid
someone halp pls
Exact message was
>SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (atikmdag.sys)
>>
>>58479858
does anyone know of a program like that?
>>
>>58480311
Sangria.
>>
>>58480324
your gpu might be dying
>>
How do i make a youtube account without giving them my phone number?
>>
>>58480588
videos work fine, it's just youtube specifically
and this is a problem this laptop has had out the box, I've been using it for about a year now
>>
>>58480599
I did yesterday. Have you tried understanding the phone number field is optional? If that doesn't work, try from a different IP range.
>>
>>58480632
update/reinstall gpu drivers or disable gpu acceleration in your browser
>>
>>58480658
ok i went to device manager and i see 4 entries labeled "AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics" under "Processors"
I have to right click each one of these and choose "update driver software" right?
>>
>>58480736
I would just download it directly from AMD's site
>>
>>58480640
It's not optional for me. I have tried with ips from usa and singapore, but it won't create the account
>>
how do i remove similar photos from my pc? (linux)
rdupes wont works cause the images are not the same file but rather the same image with slightly different md5sums (due to resolution differences or file type or buttfuck other shit
>>
>>58480880
Someone on /b/ sent me this years ago after I complained about imgur doing that shit to save pennies on bandwidth.

http://pastebin.com/SXRTCEyk
>>
>>58470666

best iphone case?
>>
>>58480916
im a fucking idort and dont know what to do with that
can you spoonfeed me?
>>
>>58480916
>#!/usr/bin/env python
2 or 3?
>>
>>58480755
so i went to amd's website and downloaded the drivers and it installed and rebooted my laptop but when i look at the properties of "AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics" in device manager it still shows what looks like the old data
ie. "driver configured 2014", "driver date 2009"
>>
>>58481110
a hammer
>>
>>58480755
nevermind
i looked in the AMD folder on my c drive and the new files are there
I just don't understand why the update isn't at all reflected in the driver's properties
>>
File: 1469756353711.png (634KB, 884x892px) Image search: [Google]
1469756353711.png
634KB, 884x892px
>>58481209

pls
>>
what's a good antivirus these days for someone who doesn't want to let go of windows 7?
>>
>>58481255
what do you want?

funtionality?
>otterbox

style
>naked

functionality
>wallet style

to look like a tween
>gel

and the rest is literally taste.. cases arent very useful anyway. just wash your greasy hands every once in a while.

dont forget to use the claw of the hammer so you can really get through it.
>>
>>58481421

want something that will prevent damage when i inevitably drop it
>>
>>58479965
just reinstall it and uncheck it during the install.
>>
>>58480755
well idk if you're still here but i've been playing youtube vids for about an hour straight, no blue screen
i'm guessing it worked so thanks a lot dude :)
i <3 u
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.