[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any reason to upgrade yet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 19-116-501-03.jpg (25KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
19-116-501-03.jpg
25KB, 640x480px
Is there any reason to upgrade yet?
>>
>>58468886
No
>>
>>58468946
/Thread.
>>
I have a 4790 and I expect to see an upgrade in about 20 years. The advances of single threaded performance is ridiculous, about 5% each year and decelerating. Unless they go to a completely different technological paradigm this is getting worse and worse.

I don't blame them either. There are quantum mechanical limits and photo-lithography challenges.

It might be easier to go to Mars at this point than to speed the transistor by more than 5% a year.
>>
>>58468886
I hope that Cannon Lake processors would be good enough to upgrade, but knowing Intel, they might do nothing, put another Gayflix gimmick and sell it.
>>
Upgraded to a 6600k from a 2500k in April. I definitely noticed a performance boost in some areas, but it wasn't huge.
>>
Everyone has to seriously calm the fuck down and realize neither AMD or Intel can save you from the max 5% speeds up a year. It's simply extremely hard to shrink the transistor nowadays because of quantum mechanical limits and challenges with photolithography and the Foundries cost mountains of cash to build or even upgrade. The best you can hope for is for AMD to reach Intel's performance by using Samsung's Foundries but don't think for a second that you'll ever see something impressive.
>>
Baby lake only has a 20% increase in IPC over sandy fuckin bridge that came out I'm 2011.

Think on that a while
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.