[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /g/. I come in peace. I'm a lowly writer who wants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: how.gif (2MB, 500x230px) Image search: [Google]
how.gif
2MB, 500x230px
Hello /g/. I come in peace.

I'm a lowly writer who wants to talk about adblock. I understand your concerns and agree that many ads are malicious and bog down your computer. Totally get it and even agree with it.

What is your recommended alternative?

How does anyone make money?

Seriously, like, how does anyone make money without ads?

How?

Please...

Help me understand?

How?
>>
>>58468555
>how does anyone make money without ads?
If this is a serious question you need to go reevaluate your life
>>
These days you have to get real desperate, tell your clientele to click your ads because it makes you money then tell them to do it again on a vpn.

you should even write down your email so they can paypal you chump change or even set up a bitcoin wallet and post the address

pr even better yet, have a product that doesn't suck
>>
>>58468555
offer something worth paying money for. do actual work.

offer a subscription alternative. sell mugs. sell books. sell crap. if it's worth something, people will pay for it.

if you want to make money doing nothing. you can right the fuck off.

not technology
>>>/biz/
>>
>>58468555
>blog
fuck off faggot, get a job
>>
>>58468555
Patreon, merch, talks, events, books, ... thousands of them!
>>
>>58468555
>I understand your concerns and agree that many ads are malicious and bog down your computer.
Absolutely ALL ads are malicious, in fact, and would bog down my computer were I to allow them.

>What is your recommended alternative?
No ads.

>Seriously, like, how does anyone make money without ads?
By selling something that people want to buy, willingly.
>>
>>58468555

Hahahahahahahahaha

What a fucking waste of trips.
>>
>>58468555
You find a real job, asshole. If your money is determined by how many people see an ad then your job is part of the cancer that is killing the world.
>>
>>58468555

I don't care. I'm only interested in the content of people who create that content for free, for the love of it.

There are a huge number of people who create such content. Just to take one small example: Have you ever looked for free on-line college textbooks? The number of them is mind-boggling. In every subject matter, hundreds of professors all over the world take the class notes they've been developing for many years and they simply put them on public web pages for all to read. And a small percentage of them turn their material into absolutely superb textbooks. Here's just one of many thousands of examples where a professor did just that:

http://www.principlesofaccounting.com

Once you start seeing what's out there, you begin to realize that there simply is no need at all for the profit motive to create high quality content. If you believe that a profit motive is necessary, that's because corporate interests have spent billions of dollars brainwashing you into believing that corporate profits are necessary to get anything of quality. They are lying to you, in an embarrassingly transparent attempt to grab your money. The first step is to stop believing the lies of the corporations. Once you take that first step, you will be astonished at what you find out there.

To answer your question: They make money in other ways. For example, the professor in my link above received a teaching salary. In his years of teaching, he produced a wealth of good material. Rather than keep all that material in a locked cabinet, he simply made it available for all to see, costing him almost nothing except maybe a $100 annual fee from his web hosting provider. But what does he get for that $100? A web-site that portrays him as a very knowledgeable and articulate authority in his field. I'd say that's a pretty damn good payoff for a $100 investment.
>>
File: accountingisfun.png (1MB, 1523x396px) Image search: [Google]
accountingisfun.png
1MB, 1523x396px
>>58469515
I don't believe you. Nobody has this much fun accounting.
>>
to everyone saying "make something worth buying": would you really rather pay for every ad-supported site you use than look at ads?
>>
>>58468555
no one deserves money for arbitrary labor independent of its value. you might as well ask how to make money moving grains of sand with a tweezer.

what you're actually asking is how the present, ad-supported internet will continue. the answer is that it won't, thank god, because the ad-supported internet is shit and that's why people use ad blockers. it's very straighforward cause and effect. consumers don't value ads, so there is a value bubble and it will pop. ta dah.

sometimes the implication is that no one will bother to make anything ever again and we'll be living in a cultural waste land if there is any change in the market status quo. this is patently fucking ridiculous since content existed on the internet prior to google adsense
>>
>>58469891
it depends on how much they charge and how onerous the process is, obviously.
>>
>>58469891
Not if someone else does it for free.
>>
>>58469891
I'm convinced this is the eternal argument of the internet.

>>58469515
>>58469931
>>58469968
Serious question, are you communists?
>>
>>58468555
Get a real job.
>>
>>58470001
Supply and demand.
If someone is going to provide the same type of content for free why should I pay for yours?
>>
>have a donate button/patreon
>make your ads relevant to your source material
>host the ads yourself
>no animations, only static pictures
>>
>>58470027
So much this.

Better yet include spots in your blog that write about it similar to what a radio show host would do.

Advertising shouldn't be about javascript robot spam.
>>
>>58470001
no. i think that ad blocking is the most mundane fucking example of the free market imaginable. it's a business model that depends on something its consumers don't want, so consumers reject it.

ad-supported businesses are desperately trying to circumvent the market's decision to kill them by writing the model into their ToS. ToS are an absurd loophole in the free market because the government strongarms criminalization of ToS violation via the CFAA, which is a radical departure from other civil contract law. if the courts had any fucking clue about technology there is no way this situation would be constitutional and there are a lot of cases about it waiting on the 9th member of the supreme court

you get called a communist in america now for insisting consumers have rights, it's fucking retarded. the free market is not a corporatocracy
>>
>>58468555
>I come in peace.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I won't even read the rest of that fucking post! Go back from where you came from, asshole!
>>
>>58468698
>>58468702
>>58469192

What if your product costs money to create or maintain, but you want to give it away for free? Like a big website with server costs?

Do you just start charging, and then die because nobody will fucking pay for it?
>>
>>58470395
Then you find a way to distribute it that doesn't incur large costs.
>>
File: reagan-kun.png (3MB, 1640x1640px) Image search: [Google]
reagan-kun.png
3MB, 1640x1640px
Here's a question: if websites in the past functioned perfectly well with minimal advertising, then as the number of visitors to those sites has increased in the last 10-15 years, surely that can only be a good thing for profits? It costs millions of dollars to advertise during the Super Bowl, precisely because everyone is watching. I understand that it might cost more money to run a more popular website, but if the advertising costs go up with the site's popularity, you should be making enough to cover it. Why, then, do websites claim they need to increase advertising, if not solely out of brazen duplicitous avarice?
>>
>>58468555
patreon
i know everyone sneers at it, but if youre doing anything of worth your users aught to be willing to open up their wallets for it
>>
>>58470535
>>58470429
>>58470004
>>58468756
>>58468742
>>58468702
None of these would work for 4chan. Do you want 4chan to die?
>>
>>58470608
I wouldn't care and would go back to IRC to shit post.
>>
>>58470608
4chan should have either died or migrated into a decentralized service long ago. the pile of shit that is 4chan today is the direct results of a mainstream teenager invasion that should have either killed the site or forced it to change. the change that we got was ads, premium accounts and an enormous drop in post quality. who can pretend to want this?
>>
>>58470697
*farts*
How dare you?
>>
>>58470751
*belches*
Leve im alon
>>
>>58468555
>How does anyone make money?
Suck cocks.
>>
File: bad things really are.jpg (41KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
bad things really are.jpg
41KB, 550x512px
>>58470608
>Do you want 4chan to die?
It already has. We're just molesting the corpse now.
>>
Check out the model used by the New York Times if you're into cash
>>
>>58470947
>go to NYT
>some diversity bullshit about Trumps cabinet in front page
>try to click it just shit and giggles
>begs me to log in if i don't feed it cookies
i always forget that piece of shit wants cookies enabled, americuck motherfuckers must be dying a slow death if they want to track me that desperately
>>
>>58469891
Yes, because it would force me to consider the things I actually find valuable in online content. The sad truth is I wouldn't pay for the majority of sites I browse, because they're worth so little that even a modest monthly payment would be too much.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.