[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>vr is the future they said what went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: P70113-093237.jpg (2MB, 1968x2624px) Image search: [Google]
P70113-093237.jpg
2MB, 1968x2624px
>vr is the future they said

what went wrong?
>>
File: vr.jpg (216KB, 1620x599px) Image search: [Google]
vr.jpg
216KB, 1620x599px
Its a gimmick for gaming and movies so it doesn't belong on a personal device meant for multimedia.
>>
I can't speak for others, but I would have bought a vive had valve delivered on their promise to make it linux-compatible
>>
>>58464670
It's expensive and makes you look funny.

Normies won't jump on it until it's cheap enough for all their friends to have the same headset so no one has to look dumb, and developers won't go all in on it until then.
>>
>>58464670
You don't need VR for programming
>>
>>58464670
Needs too much space. I don't have a spare room to turn into a holodeck, and if I did I'd have a fucking pool table and bar in there not VR headsets
>>
>>58465282
I have room for a holodeck, but it's because I can't afford furniture so I sure as shit can't afford a Vive.
>>
>>58464670
>what went wrong?
Price, and price only.
Headsets like the Rift or the Vive work decently well for a "first" generation already.
>>
There's no real big title that requires or even recommends VR.
Until that appears, people aren't going to be jumping to spend lots of money.
>>
>>58464670

cost too high
>>
>>58464670
It started out as a neat niche hobbyist thing that was going to take the better part of a decade to mature.
Lots of geeks and nerds were lining up for the oculus rift so they could tinker with that shit and figure out how to make it better and even make some games on the side just for fun.

Then facebook bought them out, and it went from niche hobbyist interest to mainstream overnight. Which killed the hobbyist desire to play around with it. All the major improvements were done by megacorps instead, and we got a pristine but utterly boring and perfectly overpriced product at the end of it.

Then all the major game studios realized, hold on, there's no actual audience here, nobody owns these VR headsets, it's a waste of time to develop anything for this shit.
So nobody made any decent games.

Then the mainstream market realized, hold on, there's no actual games for these headsets, why the fuck would I buy one??
So nobody bought VR headsets.

And now there's no market, because the entire groundswell of interest from hobbyists was murdered by facebook. Never had a chance for the niche to even grow in the first place.

Corporate greed killed VR. Instead of allowing it to grow organically, they tried to immediately monopolize the market, and instead they killed the goose.
>>
>>58465303
>eadsets like the Rift or the Vive work decently well for a "first" generation already

No. The screendoor effect is jarring and the low resolution gives you eye cancer. Until they fix their screens, it'll remain a meme.
>>
>>58465249
Wow they really lost out
>>
>>58464670
It's still the future.

Let's check Amazon and see if you can get both of your kids VR headsets for Christmas.
>Oculus Rift - Virtual Reality Headset $589.00 & FREE Shipping
>Recommended video card: GTX 970 for $349

Well, surely the competition will be more reasonable.
>HTC VIVE $799.99 & FREE Shipping
>>
>>58465722
I like you.
>>
I would like a VR headset so I can use it as a Monitor. All the space you save without monitors.
>>
Good VR is too expensive, and cheap VR isn't good enough

Not enough can afford it to make it a commercially viable target for mainstream video game developers
>>
It would be fantastic for flight sims (and I know many DCS players already use them), but IMO the viewing angles are still too low to provide much of a benefit.

You won't get full immersion without peripheral vision.
>>
>>58464670
Oculus took the wrong branch in the tech tree. Each tracking camera uses a lot of USB bandwidth, and many computers can't handle two or three of them necessary for roomscale.

Vive is doing just fine.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.