[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to do with old Pentium 4 desktops

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: bentium 4.jpg (29KB, 760x624px) Image search: [Google]
bentium 4.jpg
29KB, 760x624px
I accumulate these things when friends/family/businesses upgrade because I don't like seeing a perfectly working computer go to waste. They're weak as fuck by today's standards, and I'm sure a Raspberry Pi is far more efficient and powerful for basic server functions. I have quite a few of them thinking I'll find a use for them one day, but I never do. I can't be the only one.
>>
File: 2933665.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2933665.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>58462301
sell them on eBay for $.99 to raise your feedback

make a keychain out of them
>>
>>58462317
The computer, the CPU
>>
>>58462301
I have a piece of foam I stick salvaged CPUs on enclosed in a box in my desk. There is a .001% chance they will come in handy in the future.
>>
>>58462332
*not the CPU

>making fully functional CPUs into shitty art
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>58462301
recycle them and that is all do not use one of these they are way too inefficient to be useful, i built a cluster back in the way with them and it was a waste of time they suck.
>>
>>58462301

Destroy these abominations before it is too late, and they rise again bringing us into another age of darkness.
>>
>>58462317
>not making the existing hole larger

>>58462345
>fully functional
There's millions of them out there.
>>
File: b49.gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
b49.gif
1MB, 680x680px
>>58462383
>>
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+to+do+with+pentium+4+computer
>>
They're garbage, basically a hybrid between a power sucking space heater and a decent CPU architecture that's good at neither, but would probably be better for the former.

Throw them out.
>>
>>58462317
What do you do with the pins?
>>
>Ran like shit even for its time
>Could easily fry an egg on it within seconds of turning on if the computer
Use it as an heater.
>>
>>58462697
Flatten with a screwdriver I guess
>>
>>58462752
Top lel, my Pentium 4 computer runs faster than my 2012 i3 machine does (and is at least twice as old) and isn't constantly in danger of overheating.
>>
>>58462301
There are companies that will pay for old comps who recycle the parts

You can probably get like 2 or 3 dollars per computer
>>
NAS box
Managed router
Put it in the bathroom/garage
>>
>>58462301
It's really retarded to ask this question to a bunch of strangers who have no ideas what problems you need to solve.

They do the same shit they did new, they can check email, play music, surf the web (but straying away from shitty web-apps if you want a lot of tabs), and edit/create content with the rest of them. The compiler's the limit, get creative or sell them to someone who will if they're actually nice systems.

>I'm sure a Raspberry Pi is far more efficient and powerful for basic server functions
Efficient yes, powerful, probably not. Even if you get past the fact that that piece of shit runs everything on the slow-ass USB bus it's still a fucking toy for children and I wish people would stop comparing everything old under the sun to it like it's some kind of gold standard for performance, can we at least talk about a real SBC sometimes?
>>
use it for kickback and extortion programs or an industrial heating setup.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.