[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you all think of Amazon Echo? I'm really uncomfortable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: alexa.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
alexa.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
What do you all think of Amazon Echo? I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of an always-on microphone.
>>
>>58461195
>I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of an always-on microphone.

Do you own a smartphone? I hope you don't....NSA is always listening :)
>>
>>58461195
(((Big tech)))
>>
I think it's shit made for retards.
>>
File: ererre.png (56KB, 488x537px) Image search: [Google]
ererre.png
56KB, 488x537px
>>58461195
When I leave the room my friend start to order retarded shit, then I come home to a amazon box at my door.
>>
>>58461195
I want the nip version with the holographic waifu.
>>
The more important question is, why would anyone want a Siri knockoff that was designed to facilitate you spending more money?
>>
>>58461195
I'm wondering if Amazon contracted out to one of those shit manufacturers who don't even bother changing the default password on these things. The internet of things has been a gold mine for hackers.
>>
>>58461195
Outside of the basic issues like understanding commands and functionality ... what the fuck is the point even if it would work perfectly? I don't want to talk to my computer and don't get why anyone else would want to.
>>
>>58461195
ordered mine yesterday, incoming today.
will have more opinion but shit is future mate
>>
>>58461293
>being an asshole
>friend
>>
>>58463787
voice automation
>>
>>58461996
This.

It's literally just a box that'll make it easier for you to buy shit on Amazon.

Why anyone would pay for something that is essentially a commercial is beyond me.
Are Americans really this addicted to buying things on Amazon? This is just like my American cartoons.
>>
The echo isn't any more obtrusive than your smartphone. If your smartphone has siri or ok google or microsoft's one then it's always listening.
It's always running speech to text on everything you say, holding it forever and using it to advertise things to you.

The echo is actually a step down since it isn't always carried on your person.
>>
>>58461293
Put a pin on voice orders. I still come home to memes on my to-do list.
>>
File: sucked_in.jpg (120KB, 500x367px) Image search: [Google]
sucked_in.jpg
120KB, 500x367px
>>58461195
It's bad news. It's always on, and figures out what you say by literally sending your voice to a remote server for analyzing.

It's conditioning people to accept surveillance, and they mask this conditioning by advertising it with cheery music and making the device say silly jokes.

It's really bizarre, feels like we're living in a dystopian novel or something
>>
Random devices can bluetooth pair to them.
>>
>>58461195

It's a Jewish trick
>>
>>58461195
Seems unnecessary to me. Maybe I'm a Luddite but using a TV remote feels more intuitive than having to enunciate "Alexa, engage channel changer" or whatever
>>
>>58464016
>The echo isn't any more obtrusive than your smartphone. If your smartphone has siri or ok google or microsoft's one then it's always listening.

Unless you turn off Siri. I don't know about those other ones. My iPhone doesn't even have the "Hey Siri" function as a possibility unless it's plugged into the charger. Apple only recently made full time Hey Siri available on the newer models. But even then, you can simply turn Siri off, and test it by seeing "Hey Siri" no longer works.
>>
>>58463996
yes, relative on mine spends 10k a month on shit from amazon
>>
>>58461195
Only after it recognizes its trigger word does it start sending your voice to Bezos. Run Wireshark on it if you want to be sure.

>>58463787
It's the ship's computer from Star Trek, but tied into Amazon. So it knows what kind of panties you've been looking at.
>>
>>58464279
You can't guarantee that it isn't still listening though.
All you've done is turn off it responding to you.
>>
>>58464478
>You can't guarantee that it isn't still listening though.

You can't guarantee that it is still listening though.
>>
It's ok. I would never buy one myself but I've grown attached to it and found some usefulness from it after being given one as a gift several months back.

I've found that the key is to treat it more like a frontend and use another device (in my case I use my android tablet) for most of the serious scripting for automation tasks you want to set up. You can theoretically add new channels to the Alexa thing but I think it's way too much effort and easier to use the tools already available on Android. Anyway IFTTT works well enough to trigger a push notification into the tablet which takes things from there, so most of what I do besides simple tasks (set a timer, turn lights on/off, etc) is done that way.

Though I do wish I didn't have to say "trigger" every time, but it's not that bad I guess.
>>
>>58465535
Oh, there's also a script out there where you can emulate a phillips hue wifi thing and do custom commands this way, but I think it only really works for PC/laptop/raspi/whatever and I don't have one handy to act as an always-on server to react to commands, so I found Android to be more convenient with just the push notifications to trigger stuff. Can't remember the name of it but you could find it pretty quick in google.
>>
>>58461195
>I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of an always-on microphone.
and yet you have a phone...
really makes you think
>>
I live alone and am quiet in general so I don't think the microphone is a big deal. Even when I listen to stuff I always use headphones. I would be more worried if it was watching me but listening I don't really care.
>>
i don't understand why would i want one. all the security and creepiness aside, i don't want to say things.

also, am not a native english speaker so it would be weird.

what can it do? is it just ordering shit from amazon? i don't do that.
>>
>>58463860
Was probably just a joke, I assume he paid him back for it after.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.