[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emacs thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
I've never escaped outside the org-mode in emacs, even though I've used the program for a year.
What other functions in it should I learn/check out?
>>
You should learn to use a real text editor like vim instead of a bloated monster like emacs
>>
>>58455761
https://spacemacs.org

>>58455713
Making an Emacs thread is pretty based, unfortunately we're maybe 5 people on this board using Emacs.

And as of now I'm learning how to use it. What is the org-mode?
>>
>>58455951
>https://spacemacs.org
>bloat emacs even more so you can use the handful of lightweight features present in an actually decent editor
>>
>>58455951
It's for note taking, to do lists and calendar.
>>
>>58455713
modes:
eww
woman
calendar (acessible from org)
CC-mode

maybe one day:
gnus

there is a mode for browsing 4chan
>>
>>58455713
emacs <3
>>
>>58456023
>>58455951
org-mode can be used for
note-taking
publishing
creating websites
literate programming

>>58455761
Even according to it's own manual, info, emacs is not an editor.
It's more like a second user-centric userspace; a human-machine Interface layer.
Emacs is also pretty resillient to getting bloated.
>>
>>58455761
>not using evil-mode

scrublord supreme

>>58455991
>having a computer so absolutely garbage that emacs is "bloated", and having a use case so mind-numbingly narrow that vim's ridiculously awful extensibility issues don't induce more bloat
wew, lad
>>
>>58455951
According to stackexchange, emacs is most popular among data scientists and machine learning programmers (three times as much as in any other group).

These are also the two groups ten times as likely to have PhDs.

/g/ is full of skids and consumer tech babies, many of whom don't even use a free OS.

Go figure, they use hilariously garbage shit like Sublime or whatever
>>
>>58456162
>>58456062
>>58455713
To cut a long, convoluted story short, I've picked up emacs (I'm trying spacemacs but I feel the only thing I can see there that's really good is Helm and evil-mode, since I don't really know what else it's providing me) exclusively for org-mode.

How do I actually go about using org-mode well, any guides or books on the subject? I wanna live my life inside emacs now but I'm not sure where to begin this life-long journey of embracing autism
>>
>>58456062
Feel like elaborating on why those modes are any good?
>>
use vim
>>
>>58457990
Spacemacs is nice because it provides a sane keybinding system, is WELL INTEGRATED with evil (all the builtin modes and the ones available through the layer system will get along with it, no futzing with setting your binds to get other packages to mesh in with it), and is generally well polished. You're right in it just being a bunch of config files bolted onto normal emacs, but its a very good set of configs to bolt onto it.

There is nothing wrong with going vanilla and rolling your own configs.

>>58455761
>>58455991
>bloat
>2k17
Put those 16gb of ram to good use. Obscure functionality thats available when you need it 3 months down the line is not harming you.

>>58456062
>there is a mode for browsing 4chan
I would like to take a moment to shill my own project :^)
https://github.com/desvox/q4
I just got reply threading implemented and am still working on overall polish, new keybinds for navigation, etc. One thing thats plaguing the current build is that json responses from 4chan are randomly gzipped every now and then, and I'm waiting for another one to occur so I can build detection for it in.
>>
>>58459615
Name one thing I can do in vim that I can't do better in every way with evil-mode
>>
>>58460037
It's nice to have some form of sane defaults and best practices via spacemacs, but I _am_ worried slightly it'll reduce my ability to understand what I'm doing with emacs

Being a complete non-programmer, that might not be an issue, though.

I'd have to use evil-mode either way though, it's so much more convenient for me (maybe because I need to get more used to i-search instead of manual cursor movement, I unno, but C-f and C-b are cumbersome as fuck), so spacemacs felt good in that sense at least. Right now I just have an "env HOME=$HOME/spacemacs emacs" alias to run spacemacs, and emacs as my default, but it's hard to know beforehand whether the benefit of learning my editor as I go along is worth the downside of having to go along in the first place

Probably best to just use spacemacs so I start writing only in emacs rather than using Kate, though, I just dunno where to start, it's not particularly intuitive taking chemistry lecture notes in LaTeX, or writing LaTeX in Emacs, and I still have no clue how to use org-mode in an effective manner
>>
>>58460206
Get laid
>>
File: 28f.png (8KB, 331x331px) Image search: [Google]
28f.png
8KB, 331x331px
>>58457949
>>
>>58460323
Joke's on you, I can't get laid with vim either
>>
WHO /melpa stable/ HERE?
>>
>>58460280
>I _am_ worried slightly it'll reduce my ability to understand what I'm doing with emacs

I'm 10 miles deep into emacs and I still dont understand every aspect of it. Its an incredibly complex program and theres no shame in using a bootstrap like spacemacs to get aquainted. DESU if it weren't for spacemacs I may have never bothered with emacs at all. I spent some time rolling my own configs because I felt the same way as you, and after doing that for a while, started to REALLY appreciate what spacemacs does.

>maybe because I need to get more used to i-search instead of manual cursor movement, I unno, but C-f and C-b are cumbersome as fuck

In addition to C-f/b/p/n you can also navigate by expressions, words, functions/sections, etc. Vim/Evil are very focused on this sort of navigation (in addition to the /? search binds): w/e for navigating by word, % for parentheses/braketed expressions, - and + for the first non-blank chars on a line, etc. Even without searching there a efficient ways to get around, but building muscle memory for it can be a lengthy process. Searching is good too, of course.

I wish I could give you some pointers on Latex and Org, but I use emacs for programming. There are good videos on youtube about Org mode, and probably latex as well. Youtube is a great resource for learning emacs and vim.
>>
>>58455761
Emacs is an operating system, can vim do that?
>>
>>58460419
I have no idea how DESU got in there but I'll stand by it anyway. Im not even mobileposting wtf?!
>>
>>58460435
Wordfilters desu
>>
>>58460419
Not him, but I'd strongly recommend starting off with plain evil-mode and building up a custom init.el over time.

That way, you get to learn more about e-lisp and configuration best practices, whereas spacemacs adds a lot of features and forces you to customize in a very specific and constrained way.

I like a lot of spacemacs's defaults though, and included those into my own config.
>>
I've been using emacs for awhile now. Pretty comfy desu. Still a lot I can do to improve my editor though.
>>
File: 57!!.jpg (11KB, 236x264px) Image search: [Google]
57!!.jpg
11KB, 236x264px
>>58460425
https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm
VIM USERS ON SUICIDE WATCH

>>58460455
At the very least, anyone who wants to use emacs as a primary editor and have any hope of configuring it very much should have a basic understanding of;

>knowing about the built-in help system
When in doubt, C-h f and C-h v. The manual is available with C-h r, and the lisp reference manual is linked near the top.
>setting variables with setq
>understanding what an alist is, and how to modify them.
(add-to-list) works but its good to know *what* an alist even is at a somewhat primitive level because many configuration variables use them. See https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Lists.html
>knowing how to set and remove hooks.
>basic understanding of keymaps

Emacs is not as simple as I wish it was. Its hard to get into. But when you really understand it, theres no going back in my opinion.

If you want a configurable editor that involves less voodoo, atom may be a better choice. It's built on the same philosophy of extensibility above all else.
>>
>>58455951
spacemacs is so fucking bloated

i only like the color theme, their powerline and the mnemonic key bindings with the leader key, in fact i wish there was a way to have those bindings in vanilla emacs
>>
>>58456062
>there is a mode for browsing 4chan
does it even work well?
It really like to try.
>>
>>58460760
>https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm
it's kind of clunky but a neat idea

it's also possible to run emacs without any WM by simply setting it to be fullscreen by default in your Xresources and launching it with xinit
>>
>>58460800
http://www.howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/new-window-manager.html
yeah, then you can completely live inside your emacs environment

or you can take it to the extreme
https://www.informatimago.com/linux/emacs-on-user-mode-linux.html
and just boot into emacs (without X)
>>
Think of something you do on the computer and then think "can I do this in emacs?" I read rss feeds from emacs. I write scientific papers in emacs. Of course I program in it. I've been trying to get googlecl to work so I can edit google docs articles with colleagues to no avail.

>>58455951
religious emacs nutjob reporting in
spacemacs is trash
>>
>>58460780
https://github.com/davexunit/yon-chan
https://github.com/desvox/q4

q4 is my own work in progress, yon-chan worked when I tried it a while back but I haven't looked at it in a while. The last commit was in 2014 it seems.

>>58460800
>it's kind of clunky but a neat idea
I've been using it as my only WM for about 3 months. I base it on top of LXDE so I can have their settings modules for fonts, gtk themes, and display management, but I dont use their desktop utilities or panels. Its only as clunky as emacs itself, which I personally find really productive (I LOVE the fixed windowing and buffer system). However its much less enjoyable to use on my laptop. I normally have my laptop set up on an external keyboard and monitor, but when I use it standalone, I often use KDE instead.
>>
>>58460931
Tried out q4, looking good man

Really nice that it integrates with evil-mode and helm out of the box
>>
>>58460425
No, because text editors shouldn't be operating systems. I'm already running a *nix, I don't need another OS on top of it. Fuck off with your bloated shit.
>>
>>58461134
Glad its working for you! I push changes to it just about every day, its only a couple weeks old. I would really appreciate any issue reports or feature requests, preferably as github issues but you can also mention it in /dpt/ and I'll probably see it.
>>
>>58455713
Spacemacs is comfy
>>
>>58460399
t. Debian toddler
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.