[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I've been misinformed my entire life about this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: install1155_DSCF3459.jpg (138KB, 580x491px) Image search: [Google]
install1155_DSCF3459.jpg
138KB, 580x491px
I think I've been misinformed my entire life about this concept. Can anyone clear this up.

So like CPU sockets. I know that Intel mainly created most of the modern socket type, and sold the rights to other companies.

Intel CPU comes out with a new type of socket, and then AMD comes out with a very similar design shortly after.

Example. Intel P5 architecture.
AMD, Cyrix, K6 all used this style of socket.

Then Intel made the Slot 1 socket for PII, and AMD followed with the Athlon in Slot A

Then Intel made the P4 style socket, and everything AMD has been making to this day remains very similar to that style of ZFI socket.

Is this true? Does Intel hold patterns on all these sockets that AMD, and some other companies use?

PCI, AGP, PCIe were all mostly spearheaded by Intel, and a few other companies.
Has AMD ever made anything?
>>
>>58454203
>early 2000s
>Intel trying to push the Itanic meme for 64 bit computing
>AMD comes out with amd64
>BTFOs Itanic
>Intel ends up licensing the amd64 instruction set so they can try and compete
>>
>>58454203
Nope.
Lurk more.
>>
>>58454203
AMD made Bulldozer, which was so revolutionary to the point where it made AMD what they are now.
>>
File: 1amd_nvidia_intel[1].png (39KB, 477x244px) Image search: [Google]
1amd_nvidia_intel[1].png
39KB, 477x244px
>>58454203
Intel's R&D budget is literally more than 10 times AMD's is, it's no surprise they pioneer tech like LGA, PCIe and thunderbolt, they fucking have to these days because that budget is doing fuck all to help their CPU's.

AMD can then keep up by mimicking Intel's research results. It's the best option for them, FailDozer shows you what happens when they try and research something on their own.
>>
File: 1371934990652.jpg (113KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1371934990652.jpg
113KB, 1280x720px
>>58454279
>>
>>58454289
>FailDozer shows you what happens when they try and research something on their own.
Oh yeah, Piledriver sure wasn't a thing.
>>
>>58454289
LGA and PGA sockets are bought by a 3rd party. Neither intel nor AMD created them. Both companies contract to the same 3rd party who designs and manufactures the sockets used on boards.
The overwhelming majority of intels R&D goes to their foundry. They have other high expense divisions like cellular modems, their Atom line, and the recent canceled mobile initiatives. The foundry business by far is the largest drain however.
AMD created AMD64, HyperTransport(superior to QPI for years), GDDR3. GDDR5. HBM, HSA, dozens of other open standards like Adaptive sync and DockPort.

Bulldozer was an arch from 2004 that was put through the wringer and rushed to market by constantly shifting management who were slashing funding and restructuring design teams non stop.

If you're going to shitpost, keep i on /b/.
>>
>>58454465
wow. I didnt know AMD used LGA.

Where can I find more info on LGAs?
>>
>>58454497
Their server sockets are LGA. Its been this way for years.
You can learn more about it by going the fuck back where you came from, nigger.
>>
>>58454203
>Has AMD ever made anything?
x64 architecture
>>
is this the hourly >a y y y
troll thread?
>>
>>58454465
>AMD created AMD64, HyperTransport(superior to QPI for years), GDDR3. GDDR5. HBM, HSA, dozens of other open standards like Adaptive sync and DockPort.
NO! I'm pro Nvidia and Intel, I REFUSE to believe this. DELETE IT
>>
>>58454203
>Has AMD ever made anything?
AMD64
>>
>>58454465
>>58456086
>"hurr, AMD cheap, AMD make no money! KEK, shitty company who does not make money!"
>Literary creates open standards for Nvidia to copy and profit on without and ill feelings

>>58454465
You also forgot Vulkan
>>
>>58454497
>what is socket g34
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_G34
>>
>>58454465
Take your own advice there, shit for brains.
>>
>>58456182
>>>/b/
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.