[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plex question Will an Asrock J4205 be enough to stream in 1080?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: plex-logo.jpg (25KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
plex-logo.jpg
25KB, 1366x768px
Plex question
Will an Asrock J4205 be enough to stream in 1080?
>>
>>58448771
Will be running freeNAS and plex from ssd, 8gb ram
>>
>>58448771
>>58448782
The mobo is irrelevant, the CPU does the transcoding.
For a 1080p transcode you'll need a PassMark score of 2000 -- http://www.cpubenchmark.net search for your cpu.

I run the exact same system (freenas/plex/transmission/cp/sr/other stuff) with a Pentrium G4400 and it can do 2 1080p streams simultaneously without a hitch.
>>
>>58448838
Woops, left out that the board has an integrated cpu.

The passmark is about 2100 @1.5 Ghz according to the benchmark. However, the company lists the cpu at "up to 2.6 Ghz". The discrepancy has me a bit thrown off on what to actually expect (I don't have the board in my possession yet).
>>
>>58448895
Don't get a board with onboard cpu, you'll regret it. just get a mini-ITX with a cheapo cpu like mine (g4400)
>>
>>58448988
I got a good deal on it so I figured I would give it a go. I'll have no qualms about replacing it with a stand alone cpu/motherboars if it gives me trouble. I'll look into the g4400 though as it has a much nicer passmark, thanks.

Guess I'll just have to wait an see how it performs, I am only going to be maintaining 1 stream at a time so if the cpu doesn't crap itself I think it should work out.

Any idea on how taxing a torrent client+vpn usually are? That's the only other thing I plan on running but I feel like I will be cutting it close in terms of the cpus capabilities.
>>
>>58448771
A Amazon stick will be enough
>>
>>58449125
they're pretty light, I've had no performance issues.
you should make sure you have ~1GB of RAM/TB of storage though -- i.e. not more than 3x3TB with 8GB of RAM. ZFS uses a lot of RAM

the cpu matters just with transcoding though, if your client cam do direct play/direct stream, you can watch as many movies as your bandwidth and disks can push out
>>
>>58449310

freenas on an amazon stick? no way
>>
>>58449388
Oh not that no just receive

I would get a little ASRock mini case with included Mobo and PSU
>>
Great! Thanks for all the help and info, looking forward to setting this up.
>>
>>58449530
make a thread about it when you get it up and running
>>
>>58448771
Plex literally eats dicks, anybody got a better suggestion to stream music to an xbone? Plex crashes, is slow, fucks up basic shit like queues and playlist shuffling all the time.
>>
>>58450541
>muh kid console can't keep up
it's not plex's fault you are and idiot (:
>>
>>58450628
I live in a sharehouse and that's whats in the living room. The xbone should be plenty powerful to stream music but plex can't even manage basic volume control, can't play unless it's in focus and fucks up constantly if you try and make a queue, a playlist or shuffle or repeat anything. Seriously, it's trash.
>>
>>58448988

Dont listen to this trash
>>
>>58450689
>actually encouraging anyone to buy a mobo with a soldered on CPU for a server
are you retarded, asshat?
>>
>>58450541
Spotify
>>
>>58450710
I have an atom server running pfsense. Shit works great.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.