[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for devfags: Is it possible to start a company based

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: dolph.jpg (84KB, 863x1280px) Image search: [Google]
dolph.jpg
84KB, 863x1280px
Question for devfags:

Is it possible to start a company based around a software application written entirely by one person?

I mean, notwithstanding novelty shit that gets popular like some viral game, or being one of those faggots who designs retarded apps with annoying ads built into them that generate $100 a month each and you need to make dozens of them to have a profitable business.

I mean, is it possible for one person to write an app that's actually useful enough to become the center of a growing, sustainable company?

pic not related
>>
>>58448016
Yes, i earned ~ $30k in like 4 months selling a tool for advertising that i wrote myself. I also had to dev the server backend that processed payments and website login. I also had to pay designer $500 for UI and $500 for SEO.

Also got an offer from one of my customers and he bought the tool and source code for $~2.5k.

It becomes boring
>>
Yeah. Learn java and code mienkraft2
>>
>>58448372

Can you elaborate a little more on the server work you did?
>>
>>58448016
Yup, totally possible.

But you'll have problems when u want to scale and that one fucker who wrote the application doesnt know how to teach anyone how it works.
>>
Certainly if you have Lundgren-tier IQ + Charisma
>>
>>58448016
The software business is about clients, the more clients the faster you grow. If you're selling directly to users, you'll need things like salesmen and marketing teams. Where I work (which is a small business), the director can usually arrange a few drinks between him, a new client and the middlemen, so he doesn't need salesmen.

>write an app that's actually useful enough to become the center of a
This is why I came.

Not usually. Not unless it's some holy trifecta of good, fulfilling a contemporary need and somehow well marketed. Think writing tinder, everyone really wanted an easily set up dating app that's anything goes and for whatever reason everyone started using it all at once. Magical marketing, contemporary need, well designed.

What I'm suggesting instead is if you write tools or write low level libraries that do something a lot of people want both really well and consistently, then you can use that as the center of your business. If you had some magical library that handled networking, but didn't force your project design, and another, or some favourite way, of templating html which, again, didn't force your project design and also a quick, easy way to make databases, you could probably write shitloads of websites and have clients believe they're getting something professional, especially if it responds quick.

This is how a modern software business works, their IP is more a project style.

I actually did this in the case I never got a job, my networking library can be neatly hidden in a service, responds in under a millisecond and can be implemented in your project however the fuck you want. The next thing I wrote was a react.net extension to this, so I could theoretically write websites with it and respond with backend data rendered on any (page, even a landing) page. I of course like my own software, but couldn't even convince the smallest, shittiest company to hire me to make them a website.

Business comes down to sourcing clients.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.