[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PSU's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: sentinel-network-power-outage.jpg (129KB, 1280x750px) Image search: [Google]
sentinel-network-power-outage.jpg
129KB, 1280x750px
Just how the hell do you pick the correct one?
>>
>>58446120
Go on logicalincrements. There's a complete build guide there by a friendly local tripfag, and it covers PSUs.
>>
Use a wattage calculator to figure out what size you need.
>>
mine came out to 394w, right now im using a 500w psu, upgrade?
>>
I've been using the same 550W one for like 8 years now. Unless you're running like 2x crossfire with i7 overclocked and liquid cooling, you will probably not need more than 600 ever.
>>
I asked on reddit desu
>>
>>58446120
jonnyguru benchmarks/tests
>>
Look up a tier list. Do not buy shit tier PSUs you will discombobulate the whole thing.
>>
>Seasonic
>at least semi-modular
>at least 500w
That's it.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1474692406425.jpg (73KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1474692406425.jpg
73KB, 720x960px
>>58446120
#1, figure out your use case, PSU's are typically most efficient heat production wise at around 70-80% labeled continuous load
#2, find a site that uses a progressive load tester and oscilloscope on PSU's, preferably with crossload testing. Reviews that just stick em in some PC and measure the draw at the wall are idiotic, and do not stress the PSU or show problems such as ripple.
#3, find a dissection of the PSU online, get comfortable with knowing basic circuit terms. Learn certification companies and what they do per label as well. Watch for poor manufacturing quality, it's always bad news if the soldering is bad, cold joints may snap like a twig two years down the line.
#4, learn what companies are behind which brands, EVGA does not make PSU's they brand PSU's made by other companies, and etc. Some companies have generally higher quality.
#5, learn individual PSU platforms, typically if a model is good, then the step above and below is also good. This does not always hold, PSU's of the same brand line (eg, Corsair HX) aren't always the same platform, and some are entirely different companies.

Then you should be good to buy a PSU. Last time I bought one was in 2008, still working to this day perfectly.
>>
are the EVGA GQ's okay?
>>
File: Stromatolites_in_Sharkbay.jpg (1MB, 2440x1816px) Image search: [Google]
Stromatolites_in_Sharkbay.jpg
1MB, 2440x1816px
>>58446907
Read the above, achieve enlightenment by teaching yourself.
>>
I have a 1kw Corsair I have been using for several years now. At the time, it was one of the best reviewed that you could get. I also wanted to make sure I had enough for ( at the time ) very power hungry processors and video cards.

>>58446757

What this guy said.
>>
Would a 400w psu be fine for an i5 760 and 960 reference 2gb?
>>
corsair
superflower
seasonic

get a 650-850 watt one, really whatever's cheapest, I would personally go 750 regardless of build so I never touch the top of what my computer could pull at any given time.

300 watts for any cpu
400 watts for any gpu

and this should have you covered.
cpus don't spike but they can, gpus spike like a motherfucker. but because their load goes from 450-500 watts down to 20 watts back up to 450 it averages a fuck load lower

this should cover you for every part you put in, as ram is like 10 watt a stick, hdd is 10-20 ssd is .2-15 a fan is like 20watt till spun up then next to nothing, dvd/bluray is 20-30 when not burning, and 75watt for the motherboard in general, but all this shit is incidental compared to the cpu and the gpu. 750 is good for cpu and gpu, 850 would probably cover 2 gpus but safe then sorry would rather go get a 1000watt.

but this is my paranoid ass talking as i had a power supply blow the fuck up on me.
>>
Here's how I pick one:
Put all my components into a wattage calculator or just use PCPartPicker's estimate if I'm lazy, but round up. I.e if they say 439w use I'm going to call it 475 just to be safe. Then I multiply this number by 1.2 to account for power spikes. So continuing this example, with a result number of 570, then ideally I want a 600w unit.
Then I sort by cheapest but with the features / power rating I want on PCPartPicker.
Then I read johnnyguru reviews on what looks good in the list on pcpp. If johnnyguru didn't review it, I won't even touch the damn thing.
This is how I arrived at my EVGA GQ 650. I wanted a full or semi modular with all black cables that had decent reviews. Payed $65.
>>
>>58446392
Yes. Get a 800 W PSU for the best efficiency.
>>
>>58449007
no
>>
>>58449218
>300 watts for any cpu
>400 watts for any gpu
what

>450-500 watts
what

>750 is good for cpu and gpu, 850 would probably cover 2 gpus but safe then sorry would rather go get a 1000watt
WHAT

550W is plenty for OCd 2500K and a 290X with 3 drives and 2 RAM sticks. Based on personal experience.
With dual GPUs you might need 800W if you go with two 250W GPUs. Anything over that is a meme.

For future reference, here's your problem:
>get a [...] watt one, really whatever's cheapest
>i had a power supply blow the fuck up on me
gee, wonder why
I'd suggest going with quality instead of power next time.
>>
>>58446120
Can't go wrong with corsair, fami.
>>
Be Quiet! PSUs are very high quality desu. German engineering n shit. Jonnyguru says they're good so they're good. The straight power 10 series is what you want.

Also don't fall for the too many watts meme. 400w is fine for most people.
>>
>>58449007
A decent quality one, yes. I have an XPS with an i7 3770 that's running quite happily with a 7870 on its 460W.
Your combination is only like 250W.

http://techreport.com/review/27702/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-graphics-card-reviewed/11
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.