[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You like open offices?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8

File: gensler-office-prezi-6.jpg (242KB, 2000x1334px) Image search: [Google]
gensler-office-prezi-6.jpg
242KB, 2000x1334px
What are you, some kind of a hipster?
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20170105-open-offices-are-damaging-our-memories
>>
>>58439844
Yeah, we should switch to libre offices already
>>
File: 1480997654341.png (649KB, 636x720px) Image search: [Google]
1480997654341.png
649KB, 636x720px
>>58439844
>bullpens
No I don't want to work in a classroom setting.
>>
File: skype-for-business-intro-08.png (604KB, 1279x719px) Image search: [Google]
skype-for-business-intro-08.png
604KB, 1279x719px
>Since moving, Nagele himself has heard from others in technology who say they long for the closed office lifestyle. “Many people agree — they can’t stand the open office,” he says. “They never get anything done and have to do more work at home.”

Actually, what's wrong with working from home? Avoid the commute and the harsh winter weather. Communicate with your team over the internet.
>>
>>58442379
>skype
no thanks
>>
>>58442460
Got an alternative?
>>
>>58442470
I don't think they do. Skype is the standard; works across all major operating systems, desktop and mobile.
>>
>>58442379
>Actually, what's wrong with working from home?
It's hard to separate work from spare time
The effects are not immediately noticeable, but you can burn out after a few years
>>
>>58439844
VERY fast coworker running at incredible hihg speed
>>
>>58442379
Yeah we moved buildings and have gone to a pretty open office design.

It's fucking shit. I'm constantly getting interrupted and can't focus on anything. I feel like my productivity has gone down the tubes. Plus there's half height cubicles and that means people can just pop over the side and, once again, interrupt you.

I don't need a damn office I just want a full height cube with overhead storage and a small, single-path entryway. And I don't want to share desks with a coworker basically. Not that I dislike anyone I just need my own space.

Nothing wrong with what they call "huddle" rooms for getting shit done in groups but goddamn a nigga just needs to concentrate sometimes. Not to mention the HVAC runs fucking constantly, probably intentionally, so the noise floor is above a low conversation, you need to be pretty loud to be heard any more than a few feet away. Which again kills my concentration. Fuck. This cannot be all me.

>>58442379
I would if my company would allow it just to get fucking away from all the distractions. But no, they expect 8 to 5 5 days a week, in office, regardless of weather. Even though I can pop open a VPN on my Surface or home PC and get into a VM or a jumpbox or some shit no problem and be just as productive. Not to mention that my extension can ring on said Surface if needed.

That's one thing I really don't like, but I highly doubt that it'd ever change. We just built a new building.

Fuck.
>>
>>58442460
> I recognize that name as something people like, so I hate it
>>
>>58442601
For shitty small businesses? No, Skype or go full retard and do Facetime.

But there's quite a few extortion-level services for digital conferences. This is usually what's used by big business because they love wasting money and 'streamlining' talks.
>>
>>58439844
Depends on job, where social aspect is crucial, there will be obvious benefits. Where focus and concentration are the deciding factors, the shit would be horror.

>>58442631
That's where you get an office at home, which is used for work only.
>>
>>58443746
>>That's where you get an office at home, which is used for work only.
even if *you* can separate work time from personal time while working from home, your employer probably can't. They'll email you at 8pm and be mad if they don't get a prompt response.

Why do you think most tech workers are salaried, instead of hourly? The whole point is to get you to work longer hours than 9-to-5 for the same price.
>>
>>58443770
Idk man I work from home, don't get such interactions from my boss. Pretty much only have conversations with him during work hours or if something breaks down.

I'm also paid by the hour. Ain't bad.
>>
>exercise ball
>nerf guns
>grills

Good God that looks like hell on Earth.
>>
>>58439844
nobody likes them, we just bend over and accept them as the new normal
>>
>>58444145
>nerf guns
>hell on Earth
What did you just say?
>>
>>58446090
not him but nerf guns shouldn't be at the office, unless its a holiday party or something where you're not expected to do any work anyway.

Have your nerf battles on your own time without disturbing your coworkers. Flinging darts all around while people are trying to concentrate is inconsiderate.
>>
>>58446090
Should be real guns, fuck off with your nerf shit
>>
>>58439844
/g/ - ""technology""

""""technology discussion"""""
>>
File: 1376343199151.jpg (320KB, 878x720px) Image search: [Google]
1376343199151.jpg
320KB, 878x720px
>>58446090
>trying to get a project done
>some manchildren are playing with their nerf guns in the middle of the office building with the orange dildos bouncing all over the place
>>
INNOVATION

GROWTH HACKING

CLOUD COMPUTING

BIG DATA

GAME CHANGING

EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT

CREATIVE SPACE
>>
>>58446184
SYNERGY
Y
N
E
R
G
Y
>>
>>58443770
>They'll email you at 8pm and be mad if they don't get a prompt response.

They do this anyways even when you do work at the office. Even when I am on paid leave they still send me emails and shit. Any sort of non unionized professional job will violate your personal time because they know they can get away with it.
>>
>>58446230
RAPE
>>58446184
COWORKERRRRRRRAPE
>>
>>58446261
>unionized

Kill yourself, you dumb fucking shit stain.
>>
>>58439844
Open offices are almost as much cancer as open floor plan houses. Fuck that shit, it's like they are trying to condition us to never having privacy ever again.
>>
>be around people in open office

>suddenly the social part of your brain has to be active and alert at all times while you're doing your work now

>closed office

>no one around or is supposed to bother you and more importantly you can relax social areas of your brain and dedicate more brainpower to the task

liberals are fucking stupid
>>
>>58446290
You are literally retarded. Kill yourself, you mouth-breathing mongoloid.
>>
>>58442379
An office is not just a separate location.

You:

-Prepare physically to go to the office by waking up early and getting ready.
-Travel there
-Are in a completely different mental state by the time you are in the office
-Do not get disturbed by any non-work related stuff while at the office

If your work is mostly computer related, you will suffer when working at home because:
-Your games are there
-Your movies are there
-Your series are there
-4chan and Le Readit

Makes it verrrrrrrrrry easy to lose focus of work and start wasting time on 4chan.

I have worked from home. The efficiency is just not there. This gets a lot worse if you have kids at home.
>>
>>58442470
i think what he's saying is video conferences in general are shit and need to die
>>
File: 1479428965355.jpg (43KB, 500x569px) Image search: [Google]
1479428965355.jpg
43KB, 500x569px
>>58439844
Holy shit, fuck those bobble chairs. My work has them too, they're uncomfortable as fuck, especially when trying to hold a laptop.

I think a halfway decent compromise is to have team rooms. I almost have that at work, our team of nine has a semi-enclosed room. Noise coming from the hallways and other semi-enclosed rooms is distracting as fuck though. It kind of defeats the purpose of a collaborative space if everyone has headphones in to drown out the noise.
>>
>>58446410
>Do not get disturbed by any non-work related stuff while at the office
this is why, if we're going to work in offices, we need to take the open-plan office meme out back and put a bullet in its head. If you're going to go to all the trouble of gathering in one place to work, that place should be a quiet, subdued, professional place that isn't full of people yammering, playing foosball, etc, so that you can actually, you know, do some work.
>>
>>58446480
>that place should be a quiet, subdued, professional place that isn't full of people yammering, playing foosball
People can be unprofessional in closed cubicles, too. The professionalism comes from the employees, and how the employer sets and monitors behaviour. Professionalism does not depend on whether the office is open/closed in style.
>>
>>58446498
The way the office is designed encourages people to behave one way or the other, though. Also an open-plan office makes it easier to disturb others even if you're trying not to.
>>
>>58446527
>Also an open-plan office makes it easier to disturb others even if you're trying not to.
When you hit adulthood, you should be able to communicate with other adults. "Excuse me, I need to get this work done right now. We can talk sportsball during lunch, ok?"

That said, you have a point. It is easier to be more professional in a place that looks more professional.
>>
>>58446527
>an open-plan office makes it easier to disturb others even if you're trying not to
This. My knuckles crack, just randomly, I'm sure it's annoying to people who sit next to me. Plus just the act of typing can be distracting.
>>
>>58446283
Please, cry more for me. Your delicious tears of jealousy feed me.
>>
>>58446357
>absolutely no counter argument

Did your worthless mother fuck up her back alley abortion your neanderthal? Brain dead vermin like you need to be cleansed.
>>
>>58446562
Yeah, and when you have to think of asking and then ask, you're not doing work, and you're breaking a train of thought that might be important to work

Don't argue with facts

You are not a cooler, manlier adult for braving the "living room" office. You're just gimping yourself as an employee.
>>
>>58442470
Depends on what you need it for. Generally you don't actually need video chat. In 90% of the cases you can just send over the info, then Callander ask questions if you've any/use slack for the remaining questions. If you need video chat Skype is fine. But Googles option is cool to.
>>
>>58446628
>you have to think of asking
You have another point there. Thinking is harder for some people than it is for others.
>>
>>58439844

I worked from home for several years.

Pros
>Roll out of bed last minute
>Don't have to drive to/from work
>Some days literally can do nothing but browse 4chan, reddit, hacker news all day and no one notices
>Can sleep and no one notices in middle of day
>Can do all your work for the week in an hour or two and literally do nothing rest of the day or next few days .

Cons:
>Sometimes get called 5pm and have to work after hours
>Regular weekly meetings with team
>Slow to no promotion since you aren't seen
>No one knows the awesome great things you did/fixed because your manager doesn't see you everyday. Even when you tell manager of awesome fixes you made during your weekly 1:1 you can tell they aren't paying attention to you but busy working.
>Don't get to chat with co-workers like you would in person. So you feel isolated.
>Don't get run down of politics going on within your org until it affects you due to not having those in person "on the low down" convos.
>Whenever layoffs occur you are at risk since you are remote.
>After a while of working from home you can get in the habit of running a lot of errands, etc instead of working even if you did all your work.
>Get bored after a while
>>
>>58443770
Salaried worker here. My experience is contrary to what you said.im on projects and if I get the job done I'm good to go. Are there always projects to do? Yes of course! But I'm not expected to work any more than is crucial at the time, and sense my team isn't a bunch of fucking useless chumps, we seem to always work it out without working insane hours.
>>
>>58446290
But- open floor plans are about utilizing space, not some psychological bullshit. Reduces building costs and increases square footage. Don't be so dumb.
>>
>>58446654
It's still an interruption.

To use a car analogy (because you didn't get it the first time around), it's like manual transmissions. Yes, you show slightly above average intelligence by being able to do it. Yet, if you were significantly above average instead of another fucking poser, you'd realize it was a waste of time and energy and switch to something superior (closed office, dual clutch transmission)
>>
>>58446713
You only need to let your colleague know not to interrupt you once.
>>
>>58446776
Ideally.

And ideally you can just rebuild your transmission after clutchless powershifting all day to try and keep up with a modern car.
>>
>>58442470
https://slack.com/
>>
>article:
>"facts and science'
>the malaysian:
>"nuh uh i'm super salaryman with an IQ of 2000 and an unbreakable focus. you can't distract me. i am your god!"
>>
>>58439844
Open offices/Bullpens are actually cancerous as fuck. I don't want to work from home but I can't fucking stand the commute just to be bogged down by constant distraction while trying to put stuff out.

My coworker and I are the only programmers at a mid-size underwriting firm. We were in the "bullpen" for a while until we got moved to a corner of the office because we had to maintain some computer for a large corporate project for our parent company: it is actual hell trying to do any kind of work, be it programming or helping out with data entry if there aren't enough hands on deck, because of how unreasonably nuts the "office ambiance" can get. Doesn't help that our "manager" is just an ineffective helicopter parent without leadership skills or initiative - it all leads to constant distraction.

It isn't as bad as a startup, though.
>>
>>58442470
>What is gotomeeting

Literally everyone at the last place I worked would go "fuck really?" Any time a meeting was done with Skype instead of GTM. We never needed video chat though so idk how well that works for GTM
>>
>>58440719
You're pretty good.
>>
>>58439844
I like working from home since I get all my work done in a few hours a week.
>>
>>58439844

I've worked in several open offices. I like them better than being alone in a closed, window-less office.

My favorite was sharing a roomy office with one other engineer who shared my sense of humor. We had a great time and were super productive. Then our idiot boss decided to move a disgusting 3rd wheel into the room. He was probably at least assburgers, didn't understand personal hygiene, and chewed his disgusting fingernail-nubs non-stop.

I'd be sitting there coding and hear this disgusting spittle-slurp sound right on the edge of my hearing because, like a fucking 3rd grader, he couldn't control his compulsion to chew on his fucking sausage fingers. And then every day at 3pm, the California sun would hit his back and the entire fucking room would fill with the aroma of poorly washed clothing, B.O, and Axe Body Spray.

God, the only thing I hate more than disgusting man-child coworkers is shitty fucking bosses who have to try and "improve" situations by absolutely ruining things.
>>
>Working where people can see you type

No thanks! I literally have to wrap myself in something before typing anywhere with cameras.

Yes, I'm being serious.
>>
>>58446972
That's most bosses, in my experience.

which is probably why >>58446682 had a better experience than me, sounds like he got good managers.
>>
>>58447042

Yep.

>Wake up.
>Drink coffee.
>Let's see, what should I do today... Hm... I'm manager...
>Should I review code? Nah, too hard. Bunch of fucking nerds.
>Should I break down the upcoming project into blocks for review and assignment? Nah, too much work.
>Should I dick around in MS Project? Nah, cool colored graphs, but waaay too much work. I don't even know how to put linebreaks into the specs I write! LOL
>I know

"Hey Johnson, move your shit over into Ed and Bob's office. I think we'll be more productive if your smelly ass is in there."

>Ahhhh I really worked on team cohesion today!
>>
>>58447042
I should note that my whole entire company is 5 people. And we do conformance evaluation and certification for different standards (ISO, PCI, etc). So we don't produce software or anything where time can equal a better product.
>>
My job isn't at all /g/ related (Im a tradesman, the particular trade is irrelevant), but there's lots of codemonkey, desk jobs at our corporate office, they recently tried out the "open office" concept. Its actually worked fairly well and there's way more communication in our office, which leads to better communication to us which just makes our jobs a lot easier (going to jobsites with no heads up on what you're actually doing, and just having to wing it based on fragments of shitty information is terrible). Although I've notice all the hot chicks now have prime desk space situated perfectly inbetween the coffee maker and the bathroom, and the older/ugly ones spaced out accordingly. I All the managers no longer work at their desks and instead just hang out in the sheet metal fabrication shop and gossip with the metalworkers there. Although their work consists of telling us what to do 90% of the time, so they dont really have to be at their desks.

The younger, kind of cool, fresh out of college desk monkeys got relegated to the conference room (we'd never have conferences, our "conferences" usually take place at restaurants or bars), they don't get the share in the open office ethos. But they do all the actually difficult engineering, design, and estimation work, which really doesn't need any input from the managers or the office sluts (neither of which can do their job), so it works out pretty perfectly. Nobody bothers the people who the company actually needs to survive, and all the mostly useless sexy bitches and old guys who have worked on the tools forever and now have cushy manager jobs can just do whatever they want without getting in their way
>>
>>58446410
maybe, you know, grow a brain?
>>
File: 1478678988556.jpg (42KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1478678988556.jpg
42KB, 960x720px
>>58439844

>BBC

now that's another beauty
>>
>>58439844
I prefer short cubicles or a small team in a room together.

Tall cubicles fuck up my eyes.
>>
>>58442460
I guess you won't be working in the industry.
>>
Cubicles always seemed comfy to me.

What do I know? The only office experience I have is sitting for at the back corner of a warehouse with no one around.
>>
>>58446834
>hipster overload
>>
>>58446936
kept you waiting, huh
>>
>>58439844

I like my little IT troll cave it makes it easier to sneak out early where the open offices everyone can see everyone not so much
>>
>>58446713
>dct>manual
sure if you like spending a grand on clutches every year
>>
>>58439844
Are Americans too poor to afford separate offices?
>>
>>58443434
Nah m8 it's me too. I hate sharing desks with people. Even worse is hearing people fucking have random conversations when I'm trying to work
>>
I'm so glad my office is quiet and comfy. Working in an insurance office with a door that closes lets me actually concentrate on the financials of my clients.
>>
>>58442601
Skype is a terrible resource hog, eats your phone battery, and works like shit on linux (web app is broken as fuck and I'm not putting that native blackbox blob on my system).
We've moved to Slack + Hangout for conferencing and most of our clients use slack in one form or another, so that works beautifully. I just wish we didn't need Hangouts for screen sharing.

>>58446678
Sounds familiar, here are mine:

Pros:
>Pretty much all of yours, plus...
>Can use the exact hardware setup you like and decorate your office as you please

Cons:
>Noticeable lack of social interaction. This has been starting to affect me so I force myself to socialize at any occasion now
>Hard to separate work from spare time
>I often do at least 1h overtime to compensate slacking off, even though I'd slack off in the office as well
>Too little hardware budget given that you'd need to pay for a full ergonomic workspace out of your own pocket

>>58446410
Separate office, separate work computer, separate accounts for all services. Sure, the problems you decsribe are real, that's why you need to steer around them as good as you can.
You will be wasting time on 4chan at the office as well so that doesn't count.
It takes a lot of dicipline because yes, you need to switch your mental state. But it works. Maybe not for everyone, though.
>>
>>58446174
I know that feeling bro.
>>
Yeah they're noisy as shit. Too many goddamn hipsters.

At least we have free beer.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (118KB, 525x600px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
118KB, 525x600px
>open office
>hear every discussion
>normie coworker plays shit music over speakers
>coworkers riding electric skateboards and chink segways
I wish I was part of the cubicle master race ;_;
>>
File: Gwondola, Lord of Cinder.png (65KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
Gwondola, Lord of Cinder.png
65KB, 1152x648px
>Open office
>Colleagues loudly cursing from a few desks away
>Have to listen to constant complaining about customers
>Phones ringing all the time
>People talking on phones very loudly
>People shouting at others because they are too lazy to walk over
>Constant printer and keyboard sounds
>People walk next to you every other second in high heels

Open offices are a big meme. I wish I had my own office where I could just come in, do my work, then leave at the end of the day with only a few disturbances.

A home office would be nice, but I would probably spend more time doing non-work related things.
>>
>No privacy
>Less space per person than in a boothed office
>More noise
>Under constant watch from superiors

But it's fun, goy!
>>
>>58446678
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/working_home
>>
>currently interviewing for coding internships/jobs
>EVERY single company is millennial meme buzzwords, hoodies and fuck you flip-flops, dudeee we got a ballpit brah, dudeee we go on work vacations to the BEACH yo
>just want to wear a nice suit and feel like a professional and work with professionals
>>
>>58452165
>just want to wear a nice suit and feel like a professional and work with professionals
This. I don't understand why some dislike the idea of wearing a suit to work. I'd love to do so.
Blame it on Western degeneracy.
>>
>>58440719
Yeah man we need some libre offices around here
>>
ITT: Dan Ashcroft
>>
>>58442470
slack, discord, google hangouts
>>
>>58442460
here in germany the big company´s start worrying about data and spying
i work in an big german automobil factory and they
started warning the workers to not discus important things on skype or email
>>
>>58452165
>>58452165
>currently interviewing for coding internships/jobs
why would you want to act a certain way, but choose a career path that's entirely different from your life choice?
>>
I'm a teacher. I wish I had my own space (in Finland they have this). Instead I have to share my office with 14 students and random chess/music/art teachers.
>>
>>58452468
IT/programming isn't a very conservative profession, sure, but there's no reason they can't be professional.
>>
>>58453512
you try having access to porn, the unlimited supply of brainwashing/propaganda that is on the internet, the desire to be included.
and not end up as some hipster faggot when joining one of the most common and worthless college classes there are.
>>
>>58442470
open offices
>>
>>58443434
Noise cancelling headphones.
You need them.
>>
>>58446261
Why are ionized jobs exempt from this?
>>
>>58442379
basically this >>58442631 and this >>58446410

I work for ages now from home. it's only me so there is no reason whatsoever to rent an office but concentrating is hellishly hard from home. it's worse a million times when you live with someone because they often interupt you, usually meaning well but it just keeps getting more and more annoying - at times.

At times it's pure bliss, when you get into the zone and have all the perks of being at home and finishing early, but more and more it more resembles a torture for me.
>>
>>58439844
I'm glad I don't work in the office of the future. I like my cubical, I have plenty of personal space.
>>
Do you have to pretend like you're doing something all the time in an open office? Seems fucking horrible
>>
>>58446410
>-Your games are there
>-Your movies are there
>-Your series are there
>-4chan and Le Readit

You missed the distraction that trumps all of those: you can touch your penis at home.

Masturbation is the single largest work impediment for me at home.
>>
>>58442379
He means home work, after work work. You don't get it because you're NEET.
>>
>>58455819
>implying such a distraction isn't just another part of the ones mentioned
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.