[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laptops

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 16

File: Laptops.jpg (44KB, 597x336px) Image search: [Google]
Laptops.jpg
44KB, 597x336px
Are newer laptop models becoming progressively more difficult to maintain/repair on purpose?

>Difficult teardown to access internal component
>wielded parts
>Glued pieces

Not to mention newer laptop aesthetics.
>Island keyboard
>All in one touchpad
>>
>>58439487
Yes. Let's not forget, they get easier to steal, even with 3 screens.
>>
I have a few older laptops I use and even the normies consumer models still had easily accessible internal parts and hard drives.
>>
File: dell-inspiron-15-7559-4[1].jpg (311KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
dell-inspiron-15-7559-4[1].jpg
311KB, 1600x1066px
Depends on the model.
Bought this last year, unscrewing a single screw lets you access most stuff.

The touchpad is shit, but I don't use that anyway.
>>
>>58439710
>pure plastic chassis

Shame.
>>
>>58439710
>gaming laptop
Well, the ease of access is very neat.
At least of you want to clean it.
>>
>>58439487
https://youtu.be/XsZv-mcit_I?t=15s
Two screws, one lid.
>>
Yeah repairing aercedes filled with electronics is just as easy as a old russian tractor

Why do retards hate technological advancement and technology on a technology board?
>>
>>58439894
>>58439710
Lenovo and Dell always made easy to maintain laptops.
HP on the other hand is rubik's cube waiting to be solved.
>>
>>58439487
Yes. Stick with a desktop, and get a good smartphone. Laptops are shit these days.
>>
>>58440625
>desktop
>2017
Unless you use it for gaming or creative work, desktops are obsolete.
Laptops are more suitable for everyday / general purpose usage.
>>
>>58439929
Because sacrificing functionality to make a laptop that's marginally thinner is not "advancement".
>>
>>58440757
Laptops are more suitable ONLY IF YOU NEED TO MOVE THE COMPUTER AROUND. Otherwise having better screen and keyboard makes for superior usability, and being able to adjust the screen and move the keyboard separately makes for superior ergonomics.
>>
>>58440839
>better screen and keyboard
Can be fixed easily with external monitor and keyboard.
>>
>>58440871
At which point you might as well be using a desktop with small form-factor.
>>
>>58440887
There is no desktop with small form factor unless you're talking about NUC.
>>
>>58440924
Actually there are plenty of others as well, like ASRock BeeBox.
>>
>>58440963
>ASRock BeeBox
>Passive Heatsink
I might as well get a tablet.
>>
>>58439487
Yes, the plan is to force us to continually be upgrading, like how normalfags currently do with their phones

its the reason why battery DRM is being implemented too. How portable is your laptop once they cease to make batteries for it, and it only holds 30 minutes in a charge?
>>
File: dream_shitposting_machine.jpg (146KB, 775x500px) Image search: [Google]
dream_shitposting_machine.jpg
146KB, 775x500px
>>58439487
>Are newer laptop models becoming progressively more difficult to maintain/repair on purpose?
>>
>>58439487
how else would they continue to make them thinner? they have to remove ports and use glue and solder parts to the board and use nonreplaceable batteries to make them thinner than they are now.
>>
>>58439974
Coming from an Office Depot tech who has to take apart 17.3" HP laptops every day, they are the purest form of cancer.
>>
>>58442049
>Office Depot tech
why would you do that to yourself?
does anybody go to office depot anymore?
>>
>>58442068
I needed a job that wasn't McDongles.

Yes they do. The very old and dying.

I go home every day after a shift wishing everything would just end. That place is a home for despair.
>>
>>58442094
You could've got a less soul crushing job, like construction or roofing
What's it like fixing 'pooters for old people?
Do you guys still sell software in CD form?
>>
>>58439724
>>58439710
I have the same model and it is the only thing that really bothers me. But I got used to it and the specs are great.
>>
File: 1476994063597.png (137KB, 526x436px) Image search: [Google]
1476994063597.png
137KB, 526x436px
>>58442068
>office depot tech
Well, what a coincidence
I'm not the only one on this board that had a soul sucking job for a dying office supply chain.
Former Staples "easy"""tech""" employee

Can confirm, the job and everything around it is the purest form of bullshit.

You really just got to take the job with a grain of salt.
>>
>>58442148
Sorry, had to drive somewhere and switch to my laptop. Simply too much to type on a phone.
>inb4 phone poster
>You could've got a less soul crushing job, like construction or roofing
I don't do physically taxing jobs because I'm a pale scrawny fuccboi that has the immune system of a 1 year old. I'd probably die from cholera somehow if I did construction.
>What's it like fixing 'pooters for old people?
It's pretty alright. I feel like a cunt charging people $40 to move files from one place to another on their computer, though. I enjoy messing with them, but you get a dual-core pentium or an old celeron processor, turn on their computer and see a desktop with no more space left for icons and just sink into a dark depression as you remove "Windows Speed Boost Ultra Pro" for $170.
>Do you guys still sell software in CD form?
Yeah, actually. Most of it comes in a direct download, but a LOT of it does come with CD installation.
>>
>>58441352
Let's get a laptop and add more shit so it becomes a desktop you should have bought in the first place. You know what it also needs? Dongles, yeah, more dongles.
>>
File: 20170111_210407.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170111_210407.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>58439487
>Are newer laptop models becoming progressively more difficult to maintain/repair on purpose?
Mine is babby tier to open and access the parts
>Difficult teardown to access internal component
No
>>wielded parts
Haha no
>>Glued pieces
No
>Not to mention newer laptop aesthetics.
>>Island keyboard
Don't know what that us
>>All in one touchpad
I think it's generally better, I don't use touchpads with more than on hand, hell even more than one finger is unnecessary
>pic related :^)
>>
>>58439487
It's a side effect of making them thinner
>>
>>58439763
The 7566 (same spec) is the one with the shitty gaymur aesthetic. The black 7559 looks like a generic plastic laptop, but the spec is pretty good for the price.
>>
VAIO Pro doesn't have this problem
>>
>>58439710
Why would you not build it that you can have complete access to all its components through a back panel
Unless.. you want to sell more new laptops instead of having people just upgrading parts every once in a while and savings tons of money
>>
>>58441889
that's not a laptop, it's a tablet with an excuse for a keyboard
>>
File: DSCF3944.jpg (591KB, 2040x1360px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3944.jpg
591KB, 2040x1360px
>>58439487
best model ever
>>
>autists not understanding the purpose of a laptop
Obviously they are becoming more difficult to maintain, this allows to prioritize things that matter like size, weight and generally the build quality. There is literally no point to upgrade a laptop for a normal person or waste their time on repairs.
>>
>>58445319
>screen is almost as fat as the base
Genius design.
>>
>>58445259
>can do every laptop task
>NOT A REAL LAPTOP
>>
>>58445353
A tablet can do every laptop task too if you got the right keyboard including touchpad. It's a tablet because the keyboard and performance are shit and it doesn't have any ports you could use without carrying dongles around like a retard.
>>
>>58445347
I don't see what's wrong with that
>>
>>58445392
A tablet can't run most of the basic desktop software due OS alone and the app alternatives are not even close.

>keyboard
Muh opinion.

>performance are shit
Laptop performance is always shit.

>it doesn't have any ports
Welcome in 2017. Wifi is a thing.
>>
>>58445472
wow. such faggotry. looks like buyer's regret to me, kiddo. fact is, a dual core i5 in a real laptop is far superior to any octa core tablets throw at us.
keyboard is not a matter of opinion. more travel=better. it's as easy as that.
concerning OS, any tablet nowadays is able to run at least full desktop grade linux or windows. except, of course, shit tier faggle iPads.
but keep telling yourself that your donglebook is the future, kid. whatever gets you through the night.
>>
>>58439636
You are quite the joker arent you?
>>
>>58445395
It's just going to fall over if you have it on a table and tilt the screen up to face you.
>>
File: 1443362714481.gif (190KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1443362714481.gif
190KB, 300x300px
>>58445472
>trading actual hard drive space and connectivity for shitty unsecure cloud storage
yeah dude, such a great machine. you're really living the dream...
>>
>>58445392
A tablet can't run multiple desktop applicatoins at the same time using the world's most advanced operating system
>>
>>58445571
in theory it can. it's only limited by it's inferior CPU. that's exactly the problem with the fagbook. it's combines the worst aspects of tablet and netbook and equips it with a pretty screen to cover shit up.
>>
>>58445175
Pretty much this, but I'm sure laptops gets progressively harder and harder to upgrade. I did a check on my ACER laptop and the only upgradable components are the hard drive ( I got HDD) and more RAM
>>
File: Microsoft Surface Book.jpg (219KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Microsoft Surface Book.jpg
219KB, 1600x900px
>>58443131
>not removing shitty stickers and residue with ipa
>>58445319
wrong
>>
>>58439487
Just buy a used Thinkpad or any Dell Latitude. The Latitude is probably unironically one of Dell's best products.
>>
>>58445515
>a dual core i5 in a real laptop is far superior to any octa core tablets throw at us
Holy shit, a 15W x86 is faster than 4.5W ARM from the most tablets? Next you're going to shock us and say a 95W CPU is superior to 15W one.
But to get back on topic...

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnapaZYD2cU
Sad.

>keyboard is not a matter of opinion.
>more travel=better.
Jesus kek, tell your care taker that you had enough Interwebz for today.

>any tablet nowadays is able to run at least full desktop grade linux or windows
Not really and the ones who can are indeed similar to a laptop, although with subpar solutions when it comes to keyboards due the whole 2 in 1 type of shit.

>keep telling yourself that your donglebook is the future
>pic related
Other premium laptops aren't even close after 5 days on the market. So yeah, sorry but it's the future. Condolences about your floppy drives and all.

>>58445553
>on /g/
>doesn't have a home server
Nice try, gaymer fag.

>>58445650
Only respectable non-Apple laptop, although it'd be a lot better if they skipped on the gimmicks and made it a pure laptop.
>>
Any 15" laptops shown at CES that looks better than the 2017 XPS 15?
>>
>>58439487
This is why I fucking hate laptops and that they are a fucking ripoff especially "gaming laptops" the laptop market should have evolved with the PC market with modability, but instead because of companies like Apple and Sony they went down a path that made them less and less modular and more and more all-in-one throwaway devices created with planned obsolescence and cheapness in mind. Now you have the current market that is expanding on this idea more and more and not detracting from it.
>>
Should I keep my 13.3" HP Spectre (6th gen i7, 8GB, 256SSD, last year model, paid 700, or return it for a 15" YOGA with a 7th gen i5, 8GB, 256 SSD, and a GTX 940M for 600?

I originally wanted to go 13 inch for backpack carrying, but i booted up my spectre last night and for some reason the touchscreen just didnt work. rebooted and that fixed it but it still made me very cautious about that laptop, and HP in general. thoughts?
>>
>>58445837
>Only respectable non-Apple laptop
OK that gave the bait away. or does steve jobs have his dick really that far up your ass?
>>
>>58445837
>Only respectable non-Apple laptop, although it'd be a lot better if they skipped on the gimmicks and made it a pure laptop.
"Clipboard" mode almost seems pretty much useless to me too.
If Dell and Lenovo would put more effort into making their laptops have a decent battery life I'd be more interested.
4K must be nice but it kills battery life which I believe is more important. Battery life is the most interesting thing about the Surface Book to me.
>>
I used to think that I needed a gaming laptop but then realized by going somewhere other than home and playing video games I was being a huge autistic faggot. I now keep a gaming rig for home time and a surface pro 4 for running around.
>>
>>58445837
sure little buddy. that macbook of your's must be really great for editing videos because your youtube channel is gonna take off any day now...
>>
>>58445930
Show me any other laptop with a respectable aspect ratio. Hell, even ignoring that, most can't get the trackpad right. It's fucking embarrassing that Microsoft made their first laptop better than the shit HP, Lenovo or Dell floods the market with.

>>58445948
>"Clipboard" mode almost seems pretty much useless to me too.
It'd be decent if it had a normal battery life in that but with the current times it's just meh.

>4K must be nice but it kills battery life which I believe is more important.
Well, it's the usual statfagging and 4K sounds better than some weird 3000x2000, even though 4K is still suboptimal for battery life.

Given the efficiency improvements with 10nm, I bet SurfaceBook tablet mode will become pretty attractive in the future, and with the base they will be able either to reach silly long battery life or add a stronger GPU.
>>
>>58445962
I could see a gaming laptop for uni students but the battery life would be really weak.
I can't imagine having to lug around a super heavy gaming laptop but a light ultrabook wouldn't be so bad.
>>58446007
>not using a desktop for rendering
>>58446010
I'm waiting patiently for the next revision of the Surface Book but I don't know how the 3:2 would be handled by games.
I wouldn't expect great performance but I've got to play my autistic Minecraft.
>>
>>58446026
>but I don't know how the 3:2 would be handled by games
At worst it'd be black bars which you'll stop to notice after few minutes. Some games even work around it, although your field of sight would usually suffer a bit. As long you're not playing competitive FPS, it's really not a biggie.

>I wouldn't expect great performance
Pretty sure even the current model can handle most modern games, just with shitty details and lower resolution. Meinkraft works basically on everything unless you're going overboard.
>>
>>58442632
Construction isnt as physically taxing as you'd think, i did it for a while, after a certain point you learn to channel pain into anger, which you can use to distract yourself and not get tired
Living on a diet of gas station hot dogs and cigarettes really helps, because youre too jaded to give a fuck about anything but digging, painting and playing with power tools
>>
>>58439974
Wrong.

Thinkpads were historically easy to maintain, as were select parts on Latitudes. Dell/HP/Lenovo also always used to have the ram and hard drive under easily accessible doors. Nowadays all the consumer garbage is impossible to open without breaking something, doesn't matter what brand it is.
>>
>>58445837
>editing video on final cut pro
Isn't that program kill?
>>
>>58439974
Nope.

Not anymore on either. My gf got a new Dell and I just got a Lenovo two days ago. Neither have any access areas and both have a "non-removable" battery. I threw in an extra stick of ram in mine and there were 9 screws to remove and even then I had to precariously pop open the bottom and wedge two items in to keep it open while I inserted the ram with a pair of needle-nose pliers and then snapped it down with my finger. I have no idea why it wouldn't come off the rest of the way but I was extremely disappointed that they have gone that route. I get why Mac does it, as they have stores everywhere and getting people into the mac store is their cash grab, but these other manufacturers, I just don't understand and honestly fuck them.
>>
>>58446026
minecraft is default windowed, so it can handle any resolution
>>
>>58446420
Not yet. Besides, it was just an example that if you HAVE TO, you can easy do desktop tasks on it, that would be a pain on Windows laptops.

Although one obviously has to be in a desperate situation to even attempt things like video editing or rendering on a laptop.
>>
>>58446503
Isn't that more down to the program?
I don't possibly see how to intel computers (one with an Nvidia card, too) could vary that differently?
I doubt the hardware is THAT good
>>
>>58446517
Obviously it is, which is the key. With the right software, you can easy get things done on shitty hardware and barely even notice that you're using shitty hardware, while good (or well, better) hardware but shitty software will make the same things a pain.

It's the stuff that benchmarks can rarely capture but matters in daily shit a lot.
>>
>>58442632
>cholera somehow if I did construction
Where do you live?
>>
Anyone here used a clevo laptop?
I need a powerful laptop for work but everything is either gam3r shit or gimped overheating crap.
Some of these clevo laptops look pretty clean but I've never heard of them.
>>
>>58443131
I'm thinking of getting new laptop.
Struggling between Lenovo I500 and yours.
What's your experience with it?
Also wasn't acer hated by /g/?
>>
>>58445925
Touch screens on laptop is bad idea in general.
What are you using it for gaming?
>>
>>58448075
graphic design / minor video editing / school / maybe some very light gaming

trust me, i was very anti touchscreen too but its hard to avoid it these days without getting a shitty plastic antique and it does make some things easier when in illustrator / photoshop.

I work at best buy so I can get my manager to get me some nice deals on our open box laptops, which is why I can get the lenovo for 600. I paid 700 for the spectre because i came on the wrong day and our bitch manager was there and she only gave me 40 bucks off, so i kinda want to return it for the better discount desu.
>>
>>58448171
Well, the GPU isn't bad and 7th gen is always good.
Question is do you need the newer specs?
the touch screen not working is driver issues/windows being dump usually.
>>
Pff what? I love having to take apart my ENTIRE computer to clean my fan!!
>>
>>58445925
>i booted up my spectre last night and for some reason the touchscreen just didnt work
Just your average Windows laptop.
>>
>>58445472
> Wifi is a thing
Unless you need to transfer 100GB of raw video to your NAS. Good luck with that.
>>
>>58448906
In that case you start the download/upload and go for a smoke/coffee. It's not like 100GB is even that much.

Also why the fuck would you even carry around all the video data on a fucking laptop? Wouldn't want to work on it with any laptop CPU unless it's a fat desktop replacement brick.
>>
>>58448906
That's why you use rsync instead.
>>
File: 112737474794964.jpg (93KB, 802x842px) Image search: [Google]
112737474794964.jpg
93KB, 802x842px
>>58443131
> those stickers
>>
File: 1283077985338.jpg (74KB, 525x600px) Image search: [Google]
1283077985338.jpg
74KB, 525x600px
>want just to clean dust off my old HP laptop
>have to tear it barebone
and
>island keyboards
>>
>>58449177
> go for a smoke/coffee
It gotta be a long coffee break.
> Also why the fuck would you even carry around all the video data on a fucking laptop?
Well, I agree it's a bad example since Macbook is just a glorified netbook, but my point about wi-fi still stands. How much can you pull through wi-fi ac? Somewhere about 200Mbps in a real environment, which means 24 MBps, so you have to wait ~ 1 hour. Meanwhile, you can transfer ~ 100MBps through a cable.
>>
>>58449282
Desu :ะท
>>
>>58449303
>Somewhere about 200Mbps in a real environment, which means 24 MBps
Sounds a tiny bit too pessimistic but mostly right in a busy environment I guess.

>I agree it's a bad example since Macbook is just a glorified netbook, but my point about wi-fi still stands.
Not really. The point is that you will practically never transfer large enough amount of data on a laptop to justify use of cables and for the basic shit you might transfer, wifi speed is just fine.

If you're working on that 100GB raw video on a laptop instead of desktop, you're wasting more time than the file transfer either way.

Cables obviously got their place and benefits but these are not here.
>>
File: sony102.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sony102.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>58445319
>2003
>2003
>>
File: 1401913279921.png (68KB, 320x222px) Image search: [Google]
1401913279921.png
68KB, 320x222px
>>58439636
>>
File: sony3.jpg (5KB, 250x129px) Image search: [Google]
sony3.jpg
5KB, 250x129px
>>58451485
VGA + ETHERNET DONGLE IN BOX
P C M C I A CARD
USB MOUSE WITH MEMORY STICK SLOT
>>
>>58439974
Go disassemble an x220t. It's annoying as fuck.
>>
>>58451877
>unscrew keyboard and palmrest
>open
>>
>>58439974
>Dell always made easy to maintain laptops
My old Dell studio 1555 was a bitch to fully take apart compared to a ton of other laptops I've worked on. On top of that I couldn't get a replacement fan with the same cfm, all were lower, and when the charge died I couldn't get the exact same charger either.
>>
What do you think about my laptop?

Product description: HP ProBook 650 G2 - 15.6" - Core i5-6300U

Product Type: Notebook
Operating System: Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i5 6300U
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) 2133 DDR4z
Storage: 512GB M2 SATA-3 TLC SSD
Optical drive: No
Display: 15.6" LED backlight FHD SVA Anti-Glare 1920x1080
Graphics: AMD Radeon R7 M365X
Battery: 3-cell
WI-fi: Intel 8260 ac 2x2 +Bluetooth 4.2
Environmental standards: ENERGY STAR Qualified
Interfaces:
USB-C
2 x USB 3.0
Gigabit LAN
Comboplug headphone/ microphone
DisplayPort
VGA
>>
>>58439636
kek
>>
>>58452091
Decent.
The 3 cell battery and no optic drive isn't something good though.
>>
>>58439487
>Not to mention newer laptop aesthetics.
why does no one have an issue with the waste of space all around trackpads?
>>
>>58452199
You know, palmrest.
Something supposed to rest your palms on.
>>
>>58439487
If you purchase thin meme laptops, then yeah
>>
>>58452338
Not with plastic chassis
>>
File: ericdisgusted.gif (498KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
ericdisgusted.gif
498KB, 500x400px
>>58439487
>that new thinkpad
y tho? They are alienating like 80% of their userbase.
>>
>>58452411
>new
**40 series are universally hated and known to be terrible, even by Lenovo themselves, since they changed the fucking clickpad in their newer models
>>
>>58452091
>SVA
meh
>Anti-Glare
You fucked up.
>>
>>58448196
well for video processing the GPU would be good, and when you get into some heavier photoshop / illustrator processing I could use the extra power. although I did look up the difference between the 7th gen i5 in the lenovo and the 6th gen i7 in the spectre and there didnt seem to be a lot of difference as far as power goes, so i think it's just the GPU mainly that's an upgrade.

only downside is i will be carrying it everywhere for school because I have my custom built PC for home use, so 15.6" instead of 13.3" is a little bit of a disappointment.
>>
File: 1479129585566.jpg (247KB, 700x724px) Image search: [Google]
1479129585566.jpg
247KB, 700x724px
>>58443131
>acer
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.