[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pc cleaning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: 0_8d6320d2.jpg (417KB, 1679x1261px)
0_8d6320d2.jpg
417KB, 1679x1261px
Hello /g/entlemen, I was wondering what's the safety of using compressed air to clean / remove dust from a computer ?

I have those compressed air cans at work so I can probably jew one, but I'm fairly DIY as well so I just happen to own an air compressor and could probably use it to blow away shit

However, I'm afraid that the PSI generated by this would be too great and I would wreck something. I could immobilize the fans but it might still be trouble.

What do you guys think? Should I post this in /diy/ as well?

How do you guys clean your computers / electronics and how often?

Many thanks.
>>
>>58438163
>How do you guys clean your computers / electronics and how often?
Vacuum cleaner for the entire computer, then a brush to remove dust on the individual components.
>>
I have used it before, just make sure to spray at a safe distance and not directly on any fans, should be good.
Also it should have some filters because sometimes they have water and oils inside the tank.
>>
>>58438277
vacuum cleaners generate static that could harm the machone's components
>>
File: 81tSPyrnvEL._SL1500_.jpg (211KB, 807x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81tSPyrnvEL._SL1500_.jpg
211KB, 807x1500px
>>58438163
https://www.amazon.com/Metro-ED500-DataVac-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW

This thing is a god. cheap, blasts air like a motherfucker, better than any compressor I ever used, no moisture, multiple tips, works as a leaf blower too.
>>
>>58438163
Test it out on your hand first. You most definitely could damage something if it's turned up to high.
>>
>>58438163
I do it all the time, have been doing it for 15 years now. Never had any issues, laptops, desktops ... Even the fans clean just fine with the thing from 10 cm away.
>>
>>58441682
>>58438163

Same, also 15 years too, zero harm
>>
>>58441586
Never happened to me. Beats being an idiot and paying for air.
>>
>>58439502

>sometimes they have water and oils inside the tank.

This. Make sure you have a moisture trap.
>>
>>58441621
Get something like this.

I paid $50 for one and it was well worth it. More powerful than canned air, no moisture concerns like compressed air, and will last forever. Now I dust my computer out twice a month because there's no reason not to keep it really clean with one.
>>
File: Merchant1.gif (11KB, 501x504px) Image search: [Google]
Merchant1.gif
11KB, 501x504px
Keep buying compressed air cans.
>>
>>58441586
fucking how ?
>>
>>58438163
Make sure it has a water catch
Turn psi down to 40 ish

Clean ur PC
>>
>>58438163

I been using a large ass air compressor to clean all my PCs since 95. I don't care when it sprays a small mist of water. Its not like its plugged inn. I just let it dry for a few moments.

Just did it today again on my 1 month old PC. Working fine and no dust.

Get too it.
>>
>>58438163
I got one of those handheld blower units as described above. Cost me about 45 gbp on Amazon.

It's so powerful it can blow itself across the floor, it weighs about a kg too. Takes literally 8-9 seconds to dust the entire system from 4ft away.
>>
>>58442463
Flow through a narrow metal pipe. The dust in the air will generate friction.
>>
>>58438163
I've used an air compressor such as you pic, it works great, I've no problems with the computer.
>>
File: image_13993.jpg (102KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_13993.jpg
102KB, 1200x1200px
>>58438163
>>However, I'm afraid that the PSI generated by this would be too great and I would wreck something. I could immobilize the fans but it might still be trouble.

Time to make a trip to Harbor Freight.

Pic related is an air/water separator and air pressure regulator. A google search suggests canned air is probably around 70PSI. I'd start at 40 and adjust as necessary.

don't forget the teflon tape.
>>
Don't use canned "air" unless you are literally mentally retarded.
>>
I use an electric air pump to clean my PC and I highly recommend it. You won't have to worry about dangerously high PSI or water/oil in the air line.

This is the exact one that came with my air mattress.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XQK2MW

This one is even more powerful.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007VU0RU
>>
>>58441621
>>58441954
Is there a cheaper less powerful version?

>>58445208
How well do they clean?
>>
>>58438163
If you have an air compressor it's sure to have a guage on their. I think I turn mine up to like 40 PSI and stay a foot or so away. Just use common sense, you should be fine. I've heard of oils and moisture in the tanks but I can't speak on that, I just wrecklessly blast my shit and nothing bad's happened to me yet.
>>
>>58441586

That's why you get a vacuum that is ESD safe. All you would have had to do is look this up o google and not ask. It would have made you smarter that's for sure.
>>
>>58445142
>t. I got paid $12/hr for releasing the water from these + checking seals
>>
>>58441621
That thing is the best.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.