[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's it like being a programmer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Did a little research myself , but would like to hear from people in the field . What are the pros and cons of being a computer programmer? Also about how long does it take to learn a language? Thanks
>>
>>58438132
>What are the pros and cons of being a computer programmer?
Depends on where you work, who you work with, and what you work on.

>how long does it take to learn a language?
Depends on the language.
>>
File: loss.png (359KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
loss.png
359KB, 600x450px
something like this
>>
>>58438132
see >>58438400
However, on average it's depressing how many wannabes and sperglords not knowing better are in the field, so it may not be worth making it your profession. Become a morgue attendant instead.
>>
I'm not classically trained as a computer programmer (EE) but I had two internships where I worked on computer vision projects where the coding was done in C++ and Matlab.

The work is good and rewarding since the "design" and solutions are unique to your thought patterns (to a degree ofcourse) however the social dynamics were horrible at both companies.

A lot of depressed, physiologically "weak" or "exhausted" people. There should be a law saying that each "big" company should have a swimming pool or gym or something.
>>
>>58438527
I've got to agree with the swimming pool or gym
>>
Also at first forget about "learning a language" but learn the principles of the logical patterns of how programming is done, this can be done in any language. Personally I'd advise you to start with python but people here for some reason want everyone to start with C, I get their point but for the very basic principles it's kinda irrelevant.
>>
>>58438437
It's similar in IT. I feel like it's like that in a lot of professions but I haven't had experience elsewhere.
>>
I appreciate all the advice, I'll definitely give Python a look at and see if it's something I find enjoyable!
>>
>>58438968

Maybe as a tip: Challange yourself.

For example, once you got the basics down in python you should attempt to do something with it that you actually use.
I browse /wg/ an aweful lot but I can't be assed to manually save every pic in a thread in a folder I created.
Automate that shit.
Sure there are more than enough image scrapers out there, but it's not about re inventing the wheel, it's about getting comfortable at logical thinking.
Break down your problems in subsets, to keep the example, figure out how to open a url in python, next step figure out how to list the sites contents, next step figure out how to write a neural network that automatically downloads images according to your previous saved pictures.
Just kidding of course with the last point but you get the gist.
Start slow and work your way up solving real world (as in, affecting you) problems.

protip: get a whiteboard
>>
>>58438132

>What are the pros and cons of being a computer programmer?

Pros:
If you know your shit you will always find work. Everybody needs programmers these days.

Social status is kinda good. People will assume you're smart (even though not as smart as a math guy).

Programming is fun. After you "see the matrix" (which takes some years of experience, knowledge in different languages and SICP) you've entered a complete new universe.

Programming let you do nerdy stuff while getting payed for it.

Cons:

Programming willl suck you in. It will cahnge the way you think. If you look into the abyss, the abyss will look into you.

People will assume that you are kinda wierd.

It isn't HARD to get good, but it takes a while. Especially the beginning is super frustrating. A famous programmer once called it "writing less shitty code", and that's it: programming isn't hard, but being a good programmer is incredibly hard and takes some time.

>Also about how long does it take to learn a language?

The first language is the hardest. If you can do solid OOP in Java, you can do it in C# or Python, that's not the problem.

Different languages are just tools..

Beginner level:
Using the right command to get it done.

Intermediate level:
Using the right library to get it done.

Advanced level:
Using the right framework to get it done.

Pro level:
Using the right programming language to get it done.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.