[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why shouldn't I learn perl?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

Why shouldn't I learn perl?
>>
because it's literally the hackers php.
Now you can be retarded normal fag and use your php or you could use something that actually doesn't suck by design.
>>
>>58423461
PHP doesn't suck by design you Java fag.

Is there better ones? Yes. But using the new PHP7 is awesome. Especially using a framework like laravel.
>>
>>58423315
You should learn it. Why be a php fagg when you can be different. And its quite powerful.
>>
>>58423315
Because Nim exists.
>>
>>58423315
perl has a dying community because of python and ruby cucks. otherwise it's a good language and has niche use.
>>
>>58423495
>Only when using a slow framework like laravel.
ftfy
>>
>>58423584
>and has niche use
What niche?
>>
Languages work best when they allow you to be straightforward 99% of the time, and then to be clever that 1% of the time that you need it most. Perl forces you to be clever for damn near every line of code that you right, and while it may make you FEEL smart in the short term, in the long term you're going to spend more time fucking around with Perl's quirks than getting useful work done. The world has moved on from Perl, and so should you.
>>
>>58424685
this, even loading a filel into a string correctly is a PITA
/thread
>>
File: ed0399b7c5d883f14a13c0b0a037902e.jpg (140KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
ed0399b7c5d883f14a13c0b0a037902e.jpg
140KB, 1280x854px
>>58423315
Perl is deprecated
>>
>>58424685
> Perl forces you to be clever
TMTOWTDI
Perl is the favorite of one-liner assholes, the syntax itself is actually incredibly natural and one the main purpose of its design. Both Python and Ruby are based on its exact syntax.

That being said the only reason to learn Perl is for legacy development and fancier bash scripts. Perl 6 isn't backwards compatible so the language has effectively been killed.

>>58424712
Are you retarded?
open(FILE, 'index.html') or die "Can't read file\n";
my $file = <FILE>;
close(FILE);
>>
>>58424676
Writing write-only programs.
>>
>>58424724
>Are you retarded?
No you are. Chances are you just fucked up encoding and other details.
>inb4 slurp
that is also fucked http://blogs.perl.org/users/leon_timmermans/2015/08/fileslurp-is-broken-and-wrong.html
>>
>>58424811
>Chances are you just fucked up encoding and other details.
Use it every day. If you want to open a file using UTF8 or even UTF16 you just enter it as a parameter into the open method.

>blog post as evidence
k
>>
>>58424860
>blog post
Better source than
>Use it every day.
from a 4channer
>>
>>58423315
It's deprecated.

>>58423495
>PHP is better than Java
$0.02 has been deposited in your account
>>
File: 1483502653656.jpg (1MB, 800x2798px) Image search: [Google]
1483502653656.jpg
1MB, 800x2798px
>>58423461
>>58423495
>>58424503
>PHP ever
>>
>>58423315

Perl is fun and pretty cool. Too many people learn "what everybody learns". Perl is kinda old school, but it's still pretty awesome. So make a tutorial and if you want to learn it, go for it.

But if you are not sure what you want to learn, take also a look into Ruby. It's pretty much a mixture of Python and Perl - the creator of Ruby once said that the creator of Perl is "his hero akshually". Ruby it's not as rigid as Python and not that messy as Perl. Also it has way more modern frameworks.

But in the end each of the big scripting languages will do. So you might want to take three days for each of them, do a basic tutorial and look what feels best for YOU.
>>
>>58428683
>look what feels best for YOU.
Pretty much this, personally I use Perl a lot because I've been using it regularly for half my life, I know a lot of it's foibles, and the things it does well and not so well. It's a Swiss army chainsaw - incredibly powerful, can do do most tasks (albeit not as well as a tool dedicated to that particular task), but is prone to make a lot of noise, belch noxious fumes, and sever your limbs if you don't know what you're doing.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.