[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know basics of C now. Should I continue learning C or start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

I know basics of C now. Should I continue learning C or start learning some new language like rust?
>>
Nigger you can learn the basics of C in a few weeks. Actually put them into practice to do something before moving on to another language.
>>
>>58422107
Dont learn rust. Never in my life have i heard of a job that uses rust. C, c++, java, c#, and js are the languages that will get you real jobs.
>>
>>58422107
Now read
https://www.amazon.com/C-Traps-Pitfalls-Andrew-Koenig/dp/0201179288

I hope you like traps
>>
>>58422219
you can't be on /g/ discussing programming without liking traps, can you?
>>
>>58422158
Listen to this guy, OP. Rust won't teach you to think differently (unlike say, a Lisp, or Prolog, Erlang, etc.), and since there are no Rust jobs out there, it is a waste of your time.
>>
>>58422122
You can learn all of C IN A DAY.

There is not much to it, really. Variables, functions, control flow, structures, arrays, pointers and that's pretty much it already. Sure, you're not going to learn all of the stdlib in that time, but other than that it doesn't take a lot of time.
>>
>>58422158
Rust reached 1.0 not even 2 years ago. All the other languages are over 10 years old. Are you retarded? Give it some time and there will be jobs for it. I heard Mozilla pays people for Rust code.

>>58422282
What other language has anything like the borrow checker? If you learn how it works you can use that knowledge to write safer programs in say, C. It also has many other nice things for example algebraic data types or pattern matching from functional languages.
>>
>>58422107
this mindset is what's fucking wrong with computer 'programmers' nowadays

learning a language is trivial. learning how to put that language to use efficiently and properly is another problem in itself.

go learn how a computer works in more detail if you actually care about programming.

i.e. how to properly write algorithms to make use of caching, things of that nature

if you don't care about such things don't bother learning languages like C
>>
>>58422107
As soon as you start to use it, you learn other languages automatically.
If you can make projects in C, you can make projects in other languages.
>>
>>58422561
It's a gamble. It's a fact c and java arent going anywhere. Rust could die at any time like all the other meme langs that failed to take off. It's like recommending GO when I have no faith that it will take off. Also news langs are harder to find documentation for, answers on stackoverflow, tutorials, 3rd party libs. There are a lot of downsides to adopting "bleeding edge" languages.
>>
C, C++, Python. IMHO are the core 3. I would add Java but I hate it.
>>
>>58422479
>C IN A DAY.
This is why you are still a fizzbuzzer
>>
>>58422561
I wouldn't say you learned the basics unless you covered everything that's on The C Programming Language. It's a simple language but don't oversimplify it.
>>
Usually for learning a second language after C, I'd recommend Scheme, since out of all the languages you'll ever learn, a good 90% borrow mostly from one or the other.
>>
>>58423196
Why not kearn something useful instead? Your project manager doing your interview probably doesnt know what scheme is when they see it on your resume.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.