[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what would be the most cost effective way of broadcasting an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: ssid.jpg (37KB, 299x399px) Image search: [Google]
ssid.jpg
37KB, 299x399px
what would be the most cost effective way of broadcasting an SSID over a large area? it does not actually need to provide an internet connection, i just want to use it to transmit messages to anyone who scans for wifi.

i live in an apartment building that is across the street from a mall that serves as a transit hub for my city and i want to do something like pic related.
>>
>>58415130
A wide area directional 2.4GHz antenna.
Look up WokFi, I recommend a dish that is almost flat, to give you a wide broadcast area to the hub.
You'll need a WiFi router with at least 1 external antenna, and some cabling to run it to the dish.
>>
>>58415183
Alternatively, you can use a USB WiFi adapter and create an ad-hoc network. It wouldn't work as well as the router, unless you had a really strong adapter.
>>
>>58415183
You'll need RP-SMA headered coaxial cabling to run the router to the antenna.
>>
File: featured-JCGWirelessRouter.jpg (48KB, 1080x675px) Image search: [Google]
featured-JCGWirelessRouter.jpg
48KB, 1080x675px
>>58415183
>>58415200
i got this cheap as fuck JCG router (pic related) cause a local store was selling a brand new ones for 9$ so i just bought it cause it was super dirt cheap.

also what protocol do you think would give me the best range (keep in mind speed does not matter): B, G, N, or AC?
>>
>>58415183
Yeah I can confirm this works. It's known as type B in consumer grade routers. Worked from my 14th story apartment down to the swimming pool 100 meters away from the building back in 2004
>>
>>58415291
2.4GHz N or AC are basically equivalent.
I would say 2.4GHz 802.11n, for the widest compatibility. Most people don't have AC laptops or phones yet.
>>
>>58415130
amplifiers

and if you want to be a real dick, Cisco Aironets support jamming specific clients or APs if you use a wireless lan controller.
>>
>>58415130 Esp8266. It is cheap as fuck and can even run a simple web server for phishing. But it have a crappy internal antenna and only 100mW of power.
Another option is 20$ chink wifi router which can be flashed with openwrt. Some of them have external antenas and 1000mW power output.
>>
>>58415412
>cost effective
yeah, no.

>>58415413
also, no. someone who has to ask how to pull off this troll, will not have the skills to put that together.
>>
>>58415431
>yeah, no.
You can buy Aironet 1140s, 2500s and 3500s for $10 each on ebay. And you can use 4 per WLC to jam a specific AP or client.
>>
>>58415130
>cost effective
Home made high gain antenna with homemade amplifier
>>
>>58415431
i want some of the benefits of high range gear but i dont really need all of them. i just want to spam an SSID and try and experiment with some trolling/marketing schemes.

ergo the "cost effective". i need to cover high range in terms of people seeing my SSID but i dont need it to actually work.
>>
>>58415618
For them to see your SSID, you need it to work well.
I would assume a metro hub has a fuckload of SSID's and people mostly only see the strongest signals, as they are at the top of the list.

WokFi is your best option for cost effectiveness if you already have a router with external antenna.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.