[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Linux a meme? why am I cool if install it? Do I need it if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: index.jpg (9KB, 269x187px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9KB, 269x187px
Is Linux a meme? why am I cool if install it? Do I need it if I'm not a techfag?
>>
I'm not a techfag and I went with Debian because I'm just sick of Microsoft's bullshit
>>
>>58400001
>because I'm just sick of Microsoft's bullshit
explain
>>
>>58400001
install macOS
>>
>>58400021
Too many little changes I don't like

I can't list them all, but when I looked at win 10, it just seemed incredibly unappealing

one of the more insulting things was the essentially forced upgrades -- basically preying on tech illiterates and treating them like children. They use the same language in their error messages to sound "quirky" too, instead of properly displaying information and treating the user like an adult.

that and the overall design just looks too ugly and unfamiliar

cortana is also garbage

there was just no point in upgrading as it no longer suited to me needs

Linux just offers far more adaptability to more needs, security, and infinitely more control
>>
Its logo is a fat penguin and it's spokesperson is a turboautist who spergs out if you say GNU software is open source, which it is.

It is one of the best OS's (besides BSD of course) for servers, large scale infrastructure, and specialized needs requiring extreme stability and customization, but is an absolute meme for looking at pictures of your waifu on your desktop. It's like putting an 18-gear semi transmission in your Toyota Corolla. It's like buying an 18 speed semi truck transmission and Indy car computer for your Toyota Corolla, then programming it to run well in daily driving conditions. Fucking why?
>>
>>58400145
Stallsham is not the spokesperson for Linux. He is the spokesperson for GNU.
>>
>>58400076
Linux offers only a kernel.
>>
It really depends on what you want from your computer.With Linux, I don't feel as if I'm being patronized by my OS. It's designed in a way that I am the master of my computer, I have the final say in everything. Windows treats its users like toddlers.
>>
>>58400021
BOTNET
O
T
N
E
T

Also: "lol sumtink wunt rong xD. We dunno wat so inc reset lmao"
>>
File: fuck is this.jpg (138KB, 680x506px) Image search: [Google]
fuck is this.jpg
138KB, 680x506px
>>58400001
>Is Linux a meme? why am I cool if install it?
If you have to ask then you probably have no use for it. Also, what do you mean by "cool"? People that use this don't even give a fuck about that, they want to have the ability to customize every little thing that most people don't notice. You are in control of everything but you are responsible for seeking out information and finding the controls. Linux was something made by smart people for smart people and those kinds of people tend to be particular about things. Like privacy for example. Some don't like being constantly reminded to do something nor do they like being monitored or having their OS held ransom by licensing expiration or updates.

If you need an OS that is ready as soon as you turn the computer on then Linux is not for you. If you have absurd amounts of free time then you may like it. I'm serious, it has a learning curve. Last time I used it for fun I was doing a bunch of freaky shit with a terminal and I was updating a bunch of libraries just to do a simple task. I am still learning things. Most of us start out using whatever our parents or school uses. I don't have anything against people who use other shit nor do I harbor strange assumptions about people based on what they use.

Based on what I've told you Linux might seem unintuitive and impractical. The people who understand the nuances however have proven that false.
>>
>>58400001
Linux is a guest on my machine that I bought and put together. Windows has acted like they owned my previous machines and didn't trust me to act on my behalf. I use windows still but I run it within linux. It's a good basic start to my operations. 95 percent of what I do I use linux for and a couple applications I use windows for but then I put it away. I'm not against windows or another OS. I just don't like it on the metal of my machine.

>>58400145
You're right about the fat penguin and that rms might be autistic. I don't know if he's autistic, but your analogy of the engine is completely off. Using a cluster as a daily driver is closer to what you describe. But just using a version of linux to do basic computing is not at all unreasonable. The problem with linux is finding apps but they are easy to review and get rid of if they aren't to you're liking.
>>
>>58400218
pettiness such as the naming debate is one of the primary reasons linux hasn't taken off in the desktop space
>>
>>58400032
This
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.