[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

debian thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: 1458224497549.png (1MB, 2133x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1458224497549.png
1MB, 2133x1200px
debian thread
>>
also, i am a fag
>>
File: POWER-OS.png (117KB, 2000x1499px) Image search: [Google]
POWER-OS.png
117KB, 2000x1499px
>>58397907
>>58398059
You are all completely stupid. Debian is outdated and insecure. More over, it's just a noobuntu spin that was made to attract power users. All it's maintainers are SJW and the distro is sponsored by jews and the liberal media.
The Debian project shows through it's public statements and manifests that it's clearly no aligned with the moral Christian values that made the US the great nation it came to be.
It's degenerate.

Arch Linux is superior to it in every way. It has bleeding edge packages, what means more stability and security, since you get all the last bug fixes.
It's rolling release, it doesn't randomly breaks during version updates.
It's also more configurable and extensible. On overall you just have more control over your computer.
Anyone that is serious about their OS uses Arch.
>>
>>58397907
debian is garbo
install macOS
>>
>>58397907
I always liked Debian, but Ubuntu Server LTS presents some advantages.
Mainly, they keep many versions of the same packages available in the repos. It's much easier to manage updates.
>>
thoughts on gentoo?
>>
>>58398889
Includes proprietary software.
>>
>>58398095
>Debian is outdated and insecure
>insecure
you ever heard of tails?
>>
>>58398889
install it
>>
>>58399501
Please don't reproduce
I met many retarded people in my years on this site but you easily made it into the top 10 with this

You actually don't understand shit, so please let me give you this one advice, and please take it:
You are horribly stupid and it hurts, don't ever try to spread the shit you believe to know about anything ever again.

Now please try to think about the shit you're telling us here for at least 5 minutes and maybe you find the giant flaws in your logic all by yourself.
No one is here to give you private lessons. Maybe google or wikipedia to have a basic idea of the subject?.
If you still don't get it then, just kill yourself.
>>
>>58398095
>noobuntu spin
Ubuntu is based on Debian not the other way
>bleeding edge
>more security
...this is bait.
>>
>>58399534
s/security/stability/
>>
>>58397907
Prove it's not an NSA botnet
>>
>>58399514
y so mad? is it cuz u know deep down im super safe and ur ass is out for the fucking? kek kys noob
>>
>>58398095
Gentoo is better.
>>
>>58397907
What will happen to my debian stretch system that's running unattened upgrades now that the freeze is incoming?
>>
>>58400961
depends on what you did in sources.list.

If you changed "jessie" to "stretch" then you'll wind up on stable once stretch is released. (you're essentially following testing as it slowly settles down into what gets released as stable) If you changed "jessie" to "testing" or the like then you'll stay on testing (or sid, if you did that) after the release you'll stay on the rolling-release train and continue to get new stuff.
>>
>>58401094
Oh, right. I have stretch in my sources.list. Guess that means I'll have to change it to testing so that it keeps updating. Thanks.
>>
>>58401129
Note that testing slows down near a release anyway. We're pulling into the next station. If you're tracking stretch you'll slow down, pull into the station, and stay there. Track testing and you'll slow down, pull into the station, and then leave again after the release.

Basically either option will behave more like stable than testing between now and the release.
>>
File: 1419779336526.png (436KB, 596x720px) Image search: [Google]
1419779336526.png
436KB, 596x720px
>>58397907
my new rig comes in this wednesday and I'm psyched to install debian on it.
Previous encounters with Linux include 4 years working with Mint in University, and doing some automation on my Pi which is a downgraded Debian Clone for what I know.

I plan to use that machine primarily as a mobile coding machine, I also want to install a Server on it to test my websites on all kinds of Server Software without restrictions (current hoster allows script runtime of 30 secs and since I'm primarily a PHP and Python guy I have yet to get into building crawlers due to that), and also maybe do some video editing for fun if I find useable free software for it.

Do you guys have any software recommendations?
Currently planning to use
- Notepad++
- FileZilla
- ffmpeg

and that's about it. Will do some googling once I know exactly what I'll need, but anything is useful.
>>
>>58402255
at the very least setup some sort of virtual environment for your server stuff. That way you can snapshot and revert or just nuke the whole thing when you fuck it up.
Pretty much anything will do, from VirtualBox to LXC containers.

Personally I prefer a complete IDE to just a normal text editor for ease of use, but that is all personal preference.
Also if you don't already use some sort of versioning system get an account with github or bitbucket or whatever. Whilst not strictly neccesary it is nice to use and will eventually just integrate itself into your workflow.
>>
>>58402403
yeah I was thinking about getting some kind of GitHub since we use TFS at work and it's really nifty, especially when I think of CSS shenanigains in my hacky 2-hour websites.

Complete IDEs have mostly been a letdown for me since I don't use 90% of the stuff presented due to lacking knowledge, so I stuck to notepad++ for now. I hear Jetbeans does some great IDEs though, so I might check them out.

Virtualizing Servers sounds like a great Idea, especially since I now got the RAM for that (new rig will run at 8 GB and a Quad-Core 2,6 GHz).
Thanks for the tips, very appreciated.

Any preference on Debian Rice?
>>
>>58401094
Debian, where your package manager needs manual management.

>>58402255
You seem clueless.
Notepad++ isn't available on Linux to my understating and ffmpeg isn't in default debian repos. To use ffmpeg, you'll have to get to editing config files.
I've also had trouble with nginx on debian stable, with no support for http2 for example, and with example configurations breaking simply because their version of nginx is ancient.
I'm also fairly certain the stable virtualizing software isn't decently recent.

Debian isn't exactly a simple system, if you're going to do anything with it you're going to get rid of that famous stability in the name of usefulness.
>>
>>58402452
You could even host your own github alternative (like gitlab or gogs or many others) in one of those virtual environments...
pretty much depends on how comfortable you are with sysadmin like tasks. Also be sure to take security seriously, only let your localhost access those environments.

Like I said tooling/environments are all personal preference. Personally I don't rice my devices anymore, maybe a theme here or an icon pack there. Those are the simple, quick and easy 'it just works' solutions I prefer nowadays.
Pick your DE/WM, browse for themes/iconpacks/whatever and modify to your preferences. Maybe checkout a battlestation/desktop thread for inspiration?
>>
File: 1340119259695.jpg (63KB, 382x338px) Image search: [Google]
1340119259695.jpg
63KB, 382x338px
>>58402574
I will seem clueless because I basically am, never used Debian, just Mint (after deinstalling Ubuntu).

My image of linux was "if you need some functionality, google what software you need and get it".

Notepad++ I gotta admit I never thought about it as Windows-exclusive, but whatever alternative there is will work. I'm pretty adaptive and handling shit thrown at me is how I learned computing, so I'm up to spending 2-3 nights just fucking around with the system until it werks.

I also don't really install it for stability outright, I just consider Debian the best documented distro aside from Ubuntu and Mint since it's widely used, so I expect a lot of tutorials available.

>>58402614
Sysadmin tasks is what I kinda want to get into to learn how to provide a server and make it abide my commands and wishes, so no problem there, doesn't hurt to aquire some new knowledge.

For ricing i'll do just that then, but I always like to start somewhere and then look for alternatives if there's something I hate.
>>
>>58402631
Some other distros with supposedly good documentation: Fedora, centos, arch, Gentoo
Though, most Linux documentation applies to most Linux systems. Debian has some quirks I don't personally like, but given it's popularity, they can be worth learning about.

As for text editors, nano and vi should be installed by default on any Linux system. Then you have the usual suspects of vim and emacs.
Vi goes in the basket of basic sysadmin skills. Any system you'll find yourself working on, it'll be there.

It sounds like you'll be fine, really.
>>
File: Cp4qe1MWEAAcydM.jpg large.jpg (11KB, 210x216px) Image search: [Google]
Cp4qe1MWEAAcydM.jpg large.jpg
11KB, 210x216px
>>58402820
I actually used nano for some changes before, mainly to my cronjobs on the pi and when i tried and failed to define a .py script as a service to make it autorun. It's quite nifty but for programming i'll look into alternatives.

Most important functionality would be Regex-Replace and syntax highlighting I guess.
>>
>>58402574
>>Debian, where your package manager needs manual management.
It needs nothing of the sort if you're on stable.

Complaining about needing to mess with your package manager to switch to testing or sid is silly. Testing and sid are development branches. If you want to use a development branch you're implicitly or explicitly signing up to futz with things. If you didn't want to be doing that, you'd be using stable and not caring.
>>
>>58402963
so much this.
I also don't really get how everyone implies they're being cool by using a nightly firefox and stuff like that.
I use ESR and never found a day where my addons just stopped working for "lol new version forbids this shit" reasons.
>>
>>58397907
protip: most lesbians are not underage girls but are in fact gross butch women with lots of stds
>>
File: 1456439781386.jpg (31KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1456439781386.jpg
31KB, 600x600px
>>58403025
>fact gross butch women with lots of stds

Lesbian here, I'm an underweight NEET virgin
>>
File: 1462181881221.jpg (79KB, 671x960px) Image search: [Google]
1462181881221.jpg
79KB, 671x960px
>>58403040
>Lesbian here, I'm an underweight NEET virgin
Post gentoo desktop plz
>>
>>58398095
Mom, cancel my meetings
>>
>>58399501
Are you dumb?

Tails deletes everything it installs. It's not meant to be a real distro which is why people never install tails on a hard disk. If you install tails on your local drive then everyone will think you are an idiot. Then it's not safe anymore which is why the tails logo is a USB stick.

You can't run any servers on tails, it's literally useless for anything other than communication and surfing the web.
>>
File: screenFetch-2017-01-09_07-05-24.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2017-01-09_07-05-24.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>58397907
im a lesbian trapped in a man's body
>>
I went balls deep in debian last year. But I had to revert back to windows for work. So, if I want to dual boot... Should I go for debian again?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.