[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is RAM so expensive now? A year ago 2x4GB sticks cost me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: ram[1].jpg (192KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ram[1].jpg
192KB, 1500x1000px
Why is RAM so expensive now? A year ago 2x4GB sticks cost me $30. Now the same set is over $60. DDR3 and DDR4 have both gone up.

What happened? Will it go down?
>>
>>58397830
Probably flooding in Thailand again.
>>
>>58397830
>so expensive

It wasn't that long ago that 128MB was $250.

Get off my lawn.
REEEEEEEE
>>
>>58397830
phones that are starting to use ddr4
>>
buy your ram used, new price ram is holy shit expensive now.

>probably flooding in some 3rd world shithole

i got 2GB sticks of ddr3 from webuy/cex for 75 cents a stick for some old machines, just search around on ebay as well.

https://blog.neweggbusiness.com/components/whats-deal-computer-ram-prices/
>>
>>58397855
That's a really long time ago grandpa
>>
>>58398920
This, mainly.

>>58397830
Also artificial "shortages" which are just companies like samsung and micron producing less but charging more because they can.
>>
>>58397830
they charge however much they want to. that's how the market works buddy.
>made in china for 0.01 Cents
>Sold for 69.99
>>
>>58397830
>He hasnt maxed out his RAM from day one.
>>
>>58397848
It's the southern region that's flooded at the moment.
>>
nand shortage

oh no wait, that's the excuse they're using for ssds
>>
>>58397848
the floods messed up hdd's prices.
ram prices were due to some samsung and hynix shenanigans, can't remember what it was, but probably a good old cartel price fixing scheme.
>>
I thought that those prices had already peaked...

Can anyone venture an educated guess on what the price trend is right now - upward or downward?
>>
>>58400694
How much does it actually cost to make DDR4 RAM?
>>
manufacturers colluding to raise prices, duh
>>
File: RAMprices.png (61KB, 876x487px)
RAMprices.png
61KB, 876x487px
>>58400946

Not even close to peak yet.
http://www.dramexchange.com/WeeklyResearch/Post/2/4563.html

>Undersupply of DRAM products may last through the entire 2017 due to strong demand growth in mobile and server application markets
>through the entire 2017
So yeah, if you want to buy something, then get it right now, because the prices aren't going to even begin coming down or stabilizing, before the end of this year.
>>
>>58401238

Very little. Most of the cost involved with manufacturing is in development. After that you can produce hundreds if not thousands of chips in a single lot. If we weren't constantly advancing and updating you'd probably be able to get 16 gigs for all of about 5 bucks and they'd still be turning a hell of a profit on it.
>>
>>58399434
>used RAM
Good luck with paying for a broken memory stick
>>
There's a RAM shortage, same with SSD's. SSD's gonna drop in price when production ramps up, RAM will remain a problem from what I've read
>>
Apparently Samsung uses the same fab for both NAND and DRAM
>>
>>58401490
>$2 Pajeet used RAM doesn't work
>buy ten more
>Still cheaper than buying one stick new
>>
>>58401532
Where do you buy used RAM?
>>
>>58401490

I've bought dozens of used memory modules; never received a faulty one.
>>
>>58401414
thx, anon. That's actually helps me making a couple of purchasing decisions.
>>
>>58401581
Where do you buy used anything?
>>
Because smartphones and tablets are using LPDDR instead while PC sales have been in steady decline.
>>
>>58401414
Fuck. I thought it will gone down before summer
>>
>>58400720
this
>not having 16 exabytes of RAM
>>
>>58397855
I was at Fry's with my dad recently, buying some RAM, and he pointed out that when he bought his first PC around the time I was born, the 16GB we were buying for around $100 would've cost over 10 million dollars.

Pretty nuts when you think about it.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.