[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Behold, the future of Microsoft's design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 61

File: neon-2.png (620KB, 1200x671px) Image search: [Google]
neon-2.png
620KB, 1200x671px
This is outlook
>>
>>58383619
looks ugly as H*CK
ill stick to macOS
>>
Looks like the zune softwares design language
>>
>>58383619
dat minimize, maximize, close buttons though...
>>
>>58383619
If it wasnt for the larger spacing between elements it would almost be like some riced desktops Ive seen on /g/
>>
File: file.png (621KB, 1200x671px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
621KB, 1200x671px
>>
File: project_neon.jpg (612KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
project_neon.jpg
612KB, 2560x1440px
im testing it atm, I have to say it does look quite aesthetic and this is from someone who hates win10 design.
>>
>>58383845
You're testing the creators update (redstone 2). Design I posted is redstone 3, comes out maybe late this year.
>>
This looks like garbage. Perhaps it is fortunate that Microsoft makes updating Windows 10 such a horrible proposition because it fucking destroys all your advanced settings in the process and reinstalls every bloatware "APP" they have available.
>>
>>58383926
that's because any major version "update" is actually a full OS reinstall
>>
>>58383904
he's not testing anything he's on macOS
>>
>>58383640
They close the message not the app imho
>>
>>58383845
aesthetic is one thing but outlook frequently fails in gui operability or server response

even worse than yahoo mail
>>
>>58384005
That's not macOS retard
>>
>>58384005
That's just riced windows
>>
bringing back dat classic 95 look
>>
>>58384132
>>58383898
it's, & don't reply to my posts
>>
>>58383634
I love Zune UI so I welcome this.
>>
Why not use thunderbird?
>>
>>58383619
>45% on menus only
lmao
>>
>>58384155
>made by sjwzilla
>basically abandoned
>tfw when gmail exists and is a thousand times better
>>
>>58384130
yahoo mail interface isn't bad, it's works like shit, that is it's problem.
>>
Its too late for Microshaft, GPL hit critical mass last year they are done.
>>
>when a toddler OS has a better native mail client
M$ ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>58384155
Why use a tripcode?
>>
>>58384210
>native mail client
Nobody uses those anymore.
>>
>>58383619
It's fundamentally not bad at all, it's very no-bullshit and to the point, it's professional.

But Microshit still hasn't gotten it through their heads that their current design language is fucking awful for actually conveying information. That text is absolutely massive and it has no right to be, not to mention that disgusting padding around the various sections wasting tons of space. What the fuck man, they've had almost a decade straight of getting shit on for this and yet nothing's changed.
>>
File: 1443894579943.jpg (3MB, 10000x10000px) Image search: [Google]
1443894579943.jpg
3MB, 10000x10000px
>>58384165
>webmail
>>
>>58383619
this looks like some shit off a TV crime drama
>>
>>58384385
>os doesn't come with good default software
>"lol why would u use that just download ur mail from cli"
linux users everyone
>>
>>58384449
Standalone email clients don't need to improve because webmail supplanted them.

Your pride in an OSX application is entirely irrelevant.
>>
File: time to stop.gif (858KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
time to stop.gif
858KB, 480x270px
>>58384474
>tripfag
>hates good things
>>
>>58384474
stop tripfagging attention whore
>>
>>58383619
is there a significant amount of people who use touchscreens for home devices that run 10 or just microsoft just smoke a lot of weed
>>
>>58384491
OSX isn't good.
I don't hate it exactly, its more of a reactionary disdain, pretty much the default when you encounter anything gay.
>>
>>58384519
I'm talking about email clients you ding dong
>>
>>58384537
Well, specifically you are talking about OSX, and the email client bundled with it.

OSX being shit, it stands to reason that I am including all of the proprietary shit bundled with it. But honestly its just a tangent, my original point is that webmail supplanted standalone clients and bragging about yours being better than Outlook or whatever is like tending an herb garden when you don't cook.
>>
>>58384581
>needing a fucking browser to look at email
I haven't touched gmail's web interface since I signed up 5 years ago and I enjoy every minute of it
>>
>>58383619
Why is it transparent?
>>
>>58384629
copying macOS
>>
>>58383619

Looks like a UI from a movie like that shit should be projecting on some glass

Im not apposed to this looks better to me than the current 10 shit design. Hopefully they make some performance improvements to all the fucking background processes
>>
>>58383619
This I like, would consider it serious if it was more compact
>>
>>58383619
FLAT
L
A
T
>>
>>58384155
>implying I don't
>>
>>58383619
Take away the transparency (at least over text) and those massive margins and it's not bad.

But remember, these things are subjective and people will make absolutely SURE that you're aware of how bad they think it is.
>>
>>58383619
>windows 8 is the future
>metro is the best application framework
>flat design is just better, transparencies are outdated
>windows phone will take over the world
>windows 10 will be the best windows ever
>flat design is just better
>edge is the best browser
>universal windows platform is the future
>windows phone 10 will take over the world
>windows 10 threshold fixed everything in windows 10
>windows 10 is the best development environment
>linux is deprecated with the bash on ubuntu on windows 10
>the next windows 10 version will fix everything, it's going to be awesome

>this new design is the future
>we have transparencies now, it's the future
>the next windows 10 version will fix everything

What makes Microsoft so good at shilling?
>>
I think the real problem is consistency

They should stick to one design
And FINISH THE FUCKING THING

Also how about reworking explorer.exe for fucks sake. It still looks like office 2007
>>
>>58384474
>i want to log in every single time i want to check my mail
>i want to not be able to receive notifications when my browser is closed
you're just one of those normies that use outlook in the web browser because youre too scared of opening the native email client because you dont understand anything on it.
>>
The wallpaper looks cool, where can I get it
>>
>>58385441
>What makes Microsoft so good at shilling?
Free shit.
>>
Cool, now I can send all my email to MS for their casual reading.
>>
>>58383619
>people unironically use outlook
>>
Can you fucking stop shilling this shit?
>>
File: 052hwaax.jpg (339KB, 1200x671px) Image search: [Google]
052hwaax.jpg
339KB, 1200x671px
looks pretty slick tho
>>
>>58386013
That's a watermark.
>>
>>58383619
One thing I hate about many Linux distros is the ugly-looking out-of-place date/time on the taskbar. Now Microsoft decided to join them.
>>
>>58383619
That's not even Outlook mate. That's Mail.
Outlook is and will be far more complex than this.
>>
>>58383625
Yeah because that is any better.... Never heard of a thing called contrast
>>
Well done, Micropajeet, you made it even worse somehow.
>>
>>58383619
>Wasting precious screen space
The post
>>
outlook is shit. except on OSX, it looks great on OSX.

im using the vastly superior EM client.

try and it and be fucking amazed guise
>>
File: 01-Mail-All-Retina.png (871KB, 3152x2076px) Image search: [Google]
01-Mail-All-Retina.png
871KB, 3152x2076px
>>58387216
It doesn't look good anywhere.
>>
>>58383619
I am okay with that if they do not sacrifice any features. But I guess they won't, so I'm excited of whats to come. Change is good
>>
>>58383845
widgets? have i gone back to vista times?

>>58383619
imo win 8.1 ui was fairly good, but it kind of lagged on my shitty laptop
>>
>>58387285
$0.03 has been deposited to your Bing Rewards account.
>>
>>58383619
Fuck, so Windows will fall in the aesthetics over functionality meme even further.

Steve Jobs ruined OS forever.
>>
>>58387462
Mac has an incredibly functional UI though. Are you retarded?
>>
>>58383845
How do I rice up my w10 like that ? What themes (windows and folder icons) are you using ? How do I install a theme ?
>>
>>58385767
>i want to not be able to receive notifications when my browser is closed

Ever heard of this thing called a smartphone?
>>
>>58387512
>Mac has an incredibly functional UI though
Doesn't OSX lack shit as simple as folder merging?
>>
File: Image.png (307KB, 712x479px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
307KB, 712x479px
Does Microsoft not employ designers?

I know amateurs that can do a better job than this.
>>
>>58387602
No
>>
>>58386013
>>58386195
Fuck, you're right.
It's also one of my Linux pet peeves, you can change it though on most DEs in Linux though, and I doubt it'll be customizable in Windows.
>>
>>58387602
It can now.
It lacked it until 10.7 though, and it's still unintuitive.
>>
File: I want to try heroin.png (2MB, 1342x1673px) Image search: [Google]
I want to try heroin.png
2MB, 1342x1673px
>>58387602
It has that. It's awkward if you're used to Windows or Linux's way of handling merging though. It only takes effect under certain conditions which I forgot.
I never do it since I keep "folders" and data files as separate as possible.

Meanwhile Mac has tabs in the file manager, a sidebar that's actually usable, the ability to drag from any window into another, the ability to copy a file and paste it in various places you'd think wouldn't work (e.g. you copy a file and paste it in discord it sends, paste it in a normal text box you get the file name, paste it in photoshop it opens the file, etc.). There's also the fantastic virtual desktop management that Mac has, even compared to Linux.
You can also use the "Quick Look" feature to preview files from file selection windows, like you'd have for uploading to 4chan. Pic related.
>>
File: selection.png (225KB, 842x942px) Image search: [Google]
selection.png
225KB, 842x942px
>>58387702
There's also stuff like this.
>>
>>58386013
you failed to outline the space on the right side of the close button
it's absolutely disgusting
>>
File: selection.png (147KB, 784x678px) Image search: [Google]
selection.png
147KB, 784x678px
>>58387712
And with 3rd party tools you can do cool shit like pic related. I have Apple's meme trackpad 2.0 with Force Touch™, so I just press hard with two fingers to bring up the file menu for the currently selected application anywhere on my screen.
>>
>>58387702
>tabs in the file manager
>a sidebar
>drag from any window into another
>copy and paste
much of that isn't really revolutionary stuff
>>
>>58384581

>OSX being shit, it stands to reason that I am including all of the proprietary shit bundled with it.

Hot opinions.
>>
>>58387736
Yet Windows has trouble doing everything I just listed. You can't drag a file from an open explorer window into your browser's file selection dialog, there's no tabs, the sidebar is inconsistent between various file selection windows, you can't drag files into directories you have on the sidebar, etc.
I also really doubt Windows has the same copy and paste functionality I mentioned.
>>
>>58387702
All of what you said is pretty commonplace and irrelevant.
The only interesting one is the last one about previewing files from inside the file picker, but Windows does that since forever.

It's almost as if you're desperate trying to justify your own use of Mac... Cognitive dissonance, was it?
>>
>>58383675
That second "hamburger button" is not a hamburger button. I agree about the top padding.
>>
>>58387754
>Windows has trouble doing everything I just listed
i don't use windows, but in it's defence:

>You can't drag a file from an open explorer window into your browser's file selection dialog
you can, but you rather drop the file on the button
>the sidebar is inconsistent between various file selection windows
only on programs which predate current apis
the only thing apple has done to prevent that is to kill programs by changing platforms every few years
>copy and paste functionality I mentioned
i can recall it being very similar, but not as good

all of the shit you mentioned is in something like GNOME for gnu/linux though, and most of it is in KDE iirc.
>>
>>58387770
>All of what you said is pretty commonplace and irrelevant.
Maybe on Linux, but even there you don't get the same level of metadata handling with things like copy/paste. EVERYTHING I listed is either non-existent or awkward on Windows.

>The only interesting one is the last one about previewing files from inside the file picker, but Windows does that since forever.
It doesn't. It never has. What are you talking about? Do you even know what Quicklook is?
Pic related, it's quicklook. Unless Windows 10 got this, then Windows doesn't have it. Either way it certainly hasn't had it "since forever".

>It's almost as if you're desperate trying to justify your own use of Mac... Cognitive dissonance, was it?
What's there to justify? I know my choice is superior. I can give plenty of reasons why and dismantle any shitty arguments you give. 90% of you can't even give legitimate reasons why MacOS sucks apparently. I've seen maybe 4 or 5 legitimate arguments from /g/ over the past 3 years.

>>58387785
>you can, but you rather drop the file on the button
My understanding was the website has to specifically support that kind of functionality. Even then that doesn't help if you're using an application other than a web browser. I guess it's better than nothing though.

>only on programs which predate current apis
I've ran into them plenty of times, especially when it comes to ROM patching stuff.

>the only thing apple has done to prevent that is to kill programs by changing platforms every few years
Which is a good thing. Backwards compatibility is a cancer.

>all of the shit you mentioned is in something like GNOME for gnu/linux though, and most of it is in KDE iirc.
Maybe it's gotten much better, but back in 2015 I still had problems with things like workspace management. OS X was just so much better. That's just my opinion though, both were perfectly usable.
>>
File: 2017.01.08_07-18-47.png (2MB, 2084x1932px) Image search: [Google]
2017.01.08_07-18-47.png
2MB, 2084x1932px
>>58387865
Forgot my picture.
Here's quicklook showing you a PDF file without opening a PDF viewer.
>>
>>58383619
>Here at MS we're always at the forefront of innoveyshun
>That's why we've taken the mobile flat meme and combined it with the web 3.0 meme.
>and that's not all! we've added padding FUCKING EVERYWHERE for no reason at all.
I don't normally reply to ms threads but this is absolutely the worst design I have ever seen.

W10 fucking never.
>>
>>58387865
>ROM patching stuff.
Which would likely have the same problems if they existed on OS X.

>Which is a good thing. Backwards compatibility is a cancer
What about your ROM patching shit?

>the website has to specifically support that kind of functionality
Windows allows for anything which properly calls the file manager to have items dropped on it.
>>
>>58387900
>Which would likely have the same problems if they existed on OS X.
They just wouldn't run. I know because I've tried.
>>
>>58383845
is all of that UI part of project neon or are you running some other UI mods?
>>
>>58387926
Forgot to respond to the rest of the post.

>What about your ROM patching shit?
That's what VMs are for.

>Windows allows for anything which properly calls the file manager to have items dropped on it.
I remember having issues, but it's been so long now that I couldn't give anything specific.
>>
>>58387865
On Windows, right click file -> preview.
Exists probably since Windows 98 or something.
It's pretty quick so don't try to argue that.

And yes, everything you said is so small... Praising an OS for its "metadata handling with things like copy/paste" is actually pretty rude to the OS.. You're making it look bad
>>
>>58384130
>aesthetic is one thing but outlook frequently fails in gui operability or server response
It's probably just another Microshit project written around 2000 when nobody really knew how to async and it didn't matter because you only used their tools inside the company network.

The fucking thing _still_ becomes "not responding" if the mail refers to a person's image in a particular way and the remote address doesn't respond.
>>
>>58387952
see >>58387462
and >>58387512
I'm not "praising" MacOS. I'm giving reasons why the UI is functional, which it is. Saying MacOS has a shitty UI is a bad meme.
>>
>>58383655

>it would almost be like most riced desktops Ive seen on /g/

ftfy
>>
File: pegasus-mail-1_1-1-1.jpg (68KB, 637x463px) Image search: [Google]
pegasus-mail-1_1-1-1.jpg
68KB, 637x463px
>>58383619

Pegasus mail was still the best email client ever
>>
>>58387702
God... macOS is so beautiful. I got to try it for a bit and man is it night and day compared to the competition. It just works... But not in the sense that most people think. You'd have to use it to understand. It just works in the sense that... It just works. It makes sense.

Often times using Windows I'd be like why the fuck does this exist? Who thought of this? Why is this so fucking annoying to use... But with macOS everything makes sense. It does things that I didn't even know I wanted because I was always used to using shit. So simple, but add so much.

Don't know which to get an iMac or a Mac Pro. iMac seems more beneficial because I don't do anything a Mac Pro would be needed for. Maybe a Hackintosh. So fucking tired of Windows and all this bullshit. And Linux is just fucking autistic to use.
>>
>needing a GUI for your mail client
Pine will always be THE mail client for the true e-mailer
>>
>>58384581
>Kanji and Hiragana
>not using MacOS
Neck yourself
>>
>>58383640
yeah but why are the buttons like 400 pixels from the window edge? looks retarded.
>>
>>58384444
The fuck is this.
>>
>>58387333
30 rewards points, they changed the numbers to make it seem more than what it was, it used to be 3 points equals 3 cents, but I guess they were giving people too many points and thus losing more money so they changed it into the bullshit it is today.
>>
>>58384424
It's literally counter-intuitive, man. What's open? Which e-mail am I seeing?

Besides, I still remember a discussion from not long ago (actually, come think of it, it must've been around 12-15 years ago) about all options, commands and tools being hidden behind drop-down buttons and thus not readily available (especially for new users). And now what? Hamboiga menus EVERYWHERE and for EVERYTHING.
Seriously, not everything has to be a fullscreen TV-like experience for Chris' sake.
>>
>>58384385
Are you retarded?

Literally everyone who works uses one.
>>
>>58383845
Where can I get that background?
>>
>>58383619
DELICIOUS FLAT UI
>>
>>58383619
>Huge empty spaces on top
>Buttons not aligned, not the same size
>UI is a copy of MacOS
>Taskbar is copy of KDE Breeze Dark theme
>Future of Wangblows

JUST
FUCK
MY
SHIT
UP
>>
YOU DON"T FUCKINGNEED MINIMIZE AND MAXIMIZE BUTTONS GNOME GOT IT RIGHT

You can double click to maximize, click and drag to restore, and using work spaces and the shell properly you never need to minimize, but if you want to you can do it with a short cut.

The extra buttons just take up space.

Also that design will out of style in just a few months.

t. gnome user
>>
>>58391180
The extra buttons don't really take any valuable space any more than the terrible UI does. There's not reason for Microsoft to abuse window padding like it does when it already has tablet mode available.

Also, while I can understand not having a maximize button due to being able to double click a window, not including minimize is silly. The entire point is to make the interface easy to use with a mouse. If you need to rely on a shortcut or on work spaces for it, you're doing it wrong. But at least they do offer the option to restore that button.
>>
File: Mailbird-Review-456770-6.jpg (96KB, 1070x628px) Image search: [Google]
Mailbird-Review-456770-6.jpg
96KB, 1070x628px
This is what Mailbird used to look like, before they ruined it in version 2 with flat UI cancer.
>>
>>58387639
No, they do, but they don't prioritise design over utility, like applel.
>>
>>58391180
>and using work spaces and the shell properly
>that's not the interface is shit, it's just YOU don't use it PROPERLY
like clockwork
>>
>>58389793
Bullshit, hotmail web version is serving me just fine.
>>
>>58384210
windows doesn't even have one. Outlook is part of MS office
>>
Haha, so minimalistic, i love it
>>
File: padding.png (493KB, 1200x671px) Image search: [Google]
padding.png
493KB, 1200x671px
The best thing about terminal applications is that it's impossible for UI hipsters to increase the space between lines, like all these morons currently designing GUIs do.
>>
What bothers me the most is all the wasted whitespace. I get you want to make sure that your UI is touch-friendly, but don't fuck over everyone else in the process.
>>
File: 1474375923965.png (572KB, 1200x671px) Image search: [Google]
1474375923965.png
572KB, 1200x671px
Amazing hehehehehe
>>
File: the future is here.png (786KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
the future is here.png
786KB, 768x1024px
>>58387702
This. macOS is so well thought through.
>mfw I can drag a file onto Finder's back button and really drag and drop anything anywhere
>mfw I can either drop an app to Applications folder or brew/brew cask install
>mfw great window/virtual desktop management and gestures, enhanced by Bettertouchtool and Spectacle
>mfw it's the only OS with a default browser that's actually usable
>mfw everything just makes sense
>mfw SPOTLIGHT
>mfw update process is hassle-free even on a fucking Hackintosh
>>
>>58383619
mobile trash for tablets

Notice how in Android there's no consistency in GUI design? Because everybody is doing their own thing and there's no standard.

PC had a standard. Everyone is trying to kill it. To make it more like mobile and touch which it isn't
>>
>>58387702
>>>

Could you redirect me to a free tutorial to install macOS, looks fucking amazing. All I got is a USB
>>
>being at the mercy of a proprietary OS vendors constant UI "improvements"
>>
File: lowcon.png (516KB, 1200x671px) Image search: [Google]
lowcon.png
516KB, 1200x671px
>>58383675
>>
>>58386787
Accessibility -> Increase Contrast
>>
>>58384635
And poorly, at best.
>>
File: 3-mail.png (264KB, 2846x1600px) Image search: [Google]
3-mail.png
264KB, 2846x1600px
>>58392259
>windows doesn't even have
>>
>>58383619
looks the same as the default windows 10 theme except the taskbar is slightly lighter. what's the big deal?
>>
File: Shilling.png (2MB, 2100x2172px) Image search: [Google]
Shilling.png
2MB, 2100x2172px
free advertizing thread
>move along
>>
>>58387731
What app, I need this in my life.
>>
>>58384210
>tfw apple now makes a better OS than Microsoft in every conceivable way
Wew, I was going to build a game pc, but now I might just waste that money on a macbook instead. The only issue I would have is siri spying on everything I say
>>
one more inconsistency in MS in desgin, not even suprised anymore

shame, I really liked flat UI but we never got to see it fully implemented before they dropped it for some ugly ass gradients
>>
>>58393211
Just hackintosh and dual boot.
>>
>>58393211
>The only issue I would have is siri spying on everything I say
Unlike Google and Microsoft equivalents, Siri only listens when you want her to.
So…Simply drag the button away from the toolbar and disable the keyboard shortcut so you don't accidentally invoke Siri.
Or disable it altogether in System Preferences.
>>
That looks like SHIT

Look at all that wasted space! What the fuck?

I'm sticking with Outlook 2016
>>
>>58383619

That looks pretty to me. Like, I get the aesthetics of it.

But here's the deal: remember the Pepsi Challenge? They did blind taste tests of Pepsi versus Coke, and most people preferred Pepsi. Yet, after a brief increase in sales, people went back to buying Coke.

Why? Because given a small sip of something, people prefer the sweeter option. But when drinking an entire can. they preferred the less sweet Coke.

Same thing with this overboard flat design. It looks purdy, but there's a difference between evaluating screenshots versus sitting down and working with something for eight hours.
>>
>>58391180
>You can double click to maximize, click and drag to restore, and using work spaces and the shell properly you never need to minimize, but if you want to you can do it with a short cut.

>The extra buttons just take up space.

So, in other words, you're a fan of "surprise UI". No. Fuck that. If there's a BASIC command to be activated, give it a fucking button.

I hate modern Android and the "just swipe around and shit until you discover some basic functionality" bullshit.
>>
>>58393413
See, if I could look at siri's source code, then I could trust siri to not be listening to me at all times, especially since that is a touted feature on ithings
>>
>>58393745

How about you look at battery life instead?

These devices are only able to listen for a specific word, and even then they're not very accurate. The things aren't generating transcripts of your conversations with yourself about your favorite Loli.
>>
>>58386195
It was always there... or are you just referring to the presentation?
>>
>>58383619
lmao
>>
>>58383619
Crossposting from other thread:

This would look so much better without the tacky radiance and stripes in the left panel, the distracting background logo in the middle, and with bigger icons in the tray. The top and bottom padding is also inconsistent with that on the right and left. And why are the toolbar buttons smaller than the window buttons?

Why is there no visual indication that Mail and Calendar are tabs?

Why are the toolbars left aligned in the first two panels, but right aligned in the third?

The orange-on-purple scheme is a pretty obvious ripoff from Ubuntu.

2/10 Microsoft is over.
>>
>>58389652
>It's literally counter-intuitive, man. What's open? Which e-mail am I seeing?
That's not difficult to fix though.
>commands and tools being hidden behind drop-down buttons and thus not readily available
I'd consider that part of the information density problems I stated before, it's far *too* minimal.

>>58391180
>The extra buttons just take up space.
What a holocaust, basic functionality is "wasting" 20 pixels!
>Also that design will out of style in just a few months.
>while shilling ugly as fuck macOS wannabe GNOME that uses a lot of the same minimalist ideas anyway
Flat design will stick around for quite a while longer and by virtue of its minimalism the only things that are really at risk of aging badly are the icons.
>>
>>58393815
No, I'm just an autistic who likes to talk to himself, and sometimes it includes *choice* words
>>
>it's a people think Finder or whatever the fuck is on linux provides better UI episode

face it faggots, as maligned as the W10 UI is, it's still the best offering on any consumer/"""hobbiest""" OS at the moment
>>
>>58395563
finder is literally good and only idiots who expect it to work just like explorer think differently
>>
As much as I like minimal app design, they really hit the mark with 'Windows Live Mail'. All of these new apps come across as downgrades.
>>
>>58395599
finder is okay, but the UI is garbage compared to explorer
>>
>>58395642
lol no
>>
File: 1460727121883.gif (876KB, 416x410px) Image search: [Google]
1460727121883.gif
876KB, 416x410px
>>58383619
That's the ugliest and stupidest UI I've ever seen! Incredible how bad it is.

I'm glad I don't use Winshit.
>>
>>58383619
this shit almost makes KDE look appealing as an alternative
>>
>>58384210
Now, that's a great looking email client! Is there somethign that looks like this for Linux?
>>
>>58383619
That unused space at the top hurts my sensibilities
>>
>>58384444

tv crime dramas don't even try anymore
>>
>>58383619
It would look fine if they cleaned up a lot of the unnecessary whitespace especially near the top.
>>
>>58395646
>modal box stuck to application frame
>search bar defaults to searching the entire PC
>no cut from context menu
>no ribbon

It's not bad, explorer just has more functionality
>>
>>58395734
>no ribbon
LOL
as for the rest: your dumb
>>
>>58395689
Geary with a nice GTK3 theme
>>
>>58383845
This looks lake a bad Windows 10 Linux theme.
>>
>>58387237
This would be ok if it wasn't for that retarded toolbar with huge buttons.
>>
>>58387512
Finder is the biggest piece of shit.
>>
>>58393133
what's that
>>
>>58395746
ok
>>
>>58393133
The core w10 apps are /comfy/
>>
>>58395563
Nemo, motherfucker. Do you use it?
>>
>Apple: adds some transparency to their panels etc in macOS and iOS, it looks kinda nice
>Microsoft: Apple added transparency to their stuff. Apple makes lots of money. TRANSPARENCY ALL THE THINGS!
>>
>>58395886
I don't use meme apps

If you're on Linux you don't need a DE
>>
>>58395768
>GTK3
fucking disgusting.

>>58395689
"mail"
>>
>>58395636
>they really hit the mark with 'Windows Live Mail'

what is 'GMail'
>>
>>58395915
shit
>>
>>58395734
>no ribbon

Why does Microsoft hate elves? ;_;
>>
>>58395809
The build in windows 10 mail program.

It's actually OK.
>>
File: what-is-autism.jpg (40KB, 575x383px) Image search: [Google]
what-is-autism.jpg
40KB, 575x383px
>>58395902
Enjoy categorizing your porn folders in bash.
>>
>>58383845
Those pics always make me go >tfw no gf, please stop posting
>>
>>58395964
>having porn folders
>not organizing your porn with tags on hydrus network
Pleb
>>
>>58395922
Enjoy your shit spam filters and lack of customization.
>>
>>58395964
ranger is pretty good for that
>>
File: 1483861915025.gif (468KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1483861915025.gif
468KB, 400x300px
I know 4chan culture has ultimately ended up influencing popular culture a ton but it usually happens after the fact and naturally. Does anyone feel /g/ really has influence?
>>
>>58395981
>not organizing your porn with tags on hydrus network

Along with all three other users?
>>
>>58396019
As long as we influence the production of a portal to the anime dimension it will all be worth it.
>>
File: 1460493314181.png (59KB, 625x480px) Image search: [Google]
1460493314181.png
59KB, 625x480px
>>58396019
/g/? not rally. /pol/ on the other hand... they fucking elected a POTUS! Now that's fucking amazing if you ask me.
>>
File: Girls.jpg (77KB, 600x536px) Image search: [Google]
Girls.jpg
77KB, 600x536px
>>58395986
>ranger
>"ranger is a console file manager with VI key bindings"
>>
>>58383634
So, it looks great?
>>
>>58396040
>>58396043
Yeah but I mean why are these companies shilling here of all places. We've always been a small board. I think anyway, hard to remember what activity was like around the ATI 4850 days
>>
>>58396066
>ATI shitter

lol you don't belong on this board
>>
>>58396084
was that the first amd card? i thought the gen after was
>>
>>58383619
I3 masterrace reporting in
>>
>>58383619
Looks better but they need to just give us Aero back. I don't see why they can't just make Aero a them pack like they did with windows xp zune theme.
>>
>>58396021
>caring about that
Too much estrogen.
>>
Looks better than the current abomination but needs to get rid of all that retarded padding.

Also I think Google Inbox's is the best mail UI, if only it had some multi-account thing like GMail
>>
>>58396134
>i3
>worst tiling window manager.
please off yourself
>>
File: 031248263-fullCourt.jpg (26KB, 760x375px) Image search: [Google]
031248263-fullCourt.jpg
26KB, 760x375px
>>58396134
>i3
>not cinnamon
>>
>>58396169
Estrogen is for girls. Girls get laid all the time.

Checkmate, atheists.
>>
>>58396169
>caring about that
What if those other users are all furries?
>>
>>58396184
>implying i3 isn't best
>>
>>58387731
>It includes the Apple menu
>You can shut off your computer from anywhere on your giant 5k display
>>
>>58396184
Which one is better? Let's hear it.
>>
>>58383675
You have no knowledge of design.
>>
File: 1436504350357.gif (246KB, 500x564px) Image search: [Google]
1436504350357.gif
246KB, 500x564px
>>58387702
Windows can do all that since forever lad
don't even try to justify your 1k+ dollars on a fucking laptop that doesn't have the specifications to back up the price tag.

Also windows has OK tiling out of the box that works in a simpler way than OSX

If you're using a hackingtosh tho go for it bud I don't give a fuck otherwise stfu.
>>
>>58396410
your really dumb
>>
File: qeq.png (8KB, 391x105px) Image search: [Google]
qeq.png
8KB, 391x105px
>>58396381
>You have no knowledge of design.
- /g/
>>
>>58387702
Explorer has a much better sidebar
>>
File: 1468524661477.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1468524661477.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>58396421
>>
>FOSS projects have better UI design than billion dollar corporations now
HOW THE FUCK DID THIS HAPPEN
PAJEETS GET THE FUCK OUT PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD YOU BLIND CUNTS
>>
File: spurdo_102.jpg (54KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
spurdo_102.jpg
54KB, 680x680px
>>58392591
>>58392426
You fucking mongoloids who don't understand GUI, or design principals. Do you think the defualt theme for Foobar is well designed?
>>
File: Capture1252.jpg (25KB, 449x231px) Image search: [Google]
Capture1252.jpg
25KB, 449x231px
>>58396453
>You have no knowledge of design.
>>
>>58392649
>I can communicate with ease over local network or WAN with macs at home and at work
>I can manipulate files as if they were local
>Spotlight manages it perfectly for me
>I can use my Thunderbolt ports to daisy chain multiple hard drives, monitors, a headphone amp and a Gigabit lan port
>Backwards comparability all the way down to Firewire 400 so I can plug in and use my first generation iPod
>Syncs with iPads and my iPhone wirelessly so my pirated movies come in just like the ones in the iTunes store
Did I mention this all only requires one plug in the wall?
>>
>>58396481
Xcept that it's the other way around.
Foss shit copies heavily from Win10 and macOS.

So much originality and creativity, by amateur hobbyists..
>>
File: hej.png (32KB, 604x207px) Image search: [Google]
hej.png
32KB, 604x207px
>>58396493
"oh"
>>
>>58395915
>>what is 'GMail'
A free email service with a convenient web interface when no IMAP client is available.
>>
>>58396453
>>58396493
>>58396548
I am the original poster, what does this prove exactly?
>>
>>58396538
>copycats can design better shit now
HOLY FUCK GET ME OUT OF THIS DIMENSION
>>
>>58396590
FOSS UI is generally shit
>>
>>58384165
Desktop/web gmail has been the same trash since 2009
>>
>>58396549
>A free email service with a convenient web interface when no IMAP client is available.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229
>>
>>58396590
They take some of the ideas and remove the shit that Apple and Microsoft have riddled them with to create something decent.
FOSS has always been about taking proprietary shit and making it actually worth using.

>>58396620
Try reading that again, ESL-kun.
>>
>>58387886

They should have stopped messing with the UI stuff after 7. There is always a point that, if you pass, any "improvement" you make just degrades the product. For Microsoft, Windows 7 is that point.
>>
you have to thank apple, they were the pioneers of the form over function, it's all mess now.
>>
File: proof.png (94KB, 826x519px) Image search: [Google]
proof.png
94KB, 826x519px
>>58396569
>>
>>58396607
Not in comparison to this rumored trash. Pajeets are ruining the actual design scene too. As if ruining code itself wasn't bad enough.
>>
>>58396718
>Not in comparison to this rumored trash
nah

>hurp derp pajeet
shut up pol, racism is not an argument
>>
>>58383619
Just bring back the classic theme.

>>58395563
Dolphin and nemo are pretty great desu.
>>
>>58396795
>he's mad microsoft went from designing extremely functional UI into this fucking garbage
LMAOOO
>>
>>58396854
I wonder if there are any concept designs of people trying to modernize the classic theme. I mean modernize in a proper way as in a direct translation, but upgrading it to also incorporate things we've learned since then (ie better use of screen real estate). So many 'modern' concepts of old things are just... translations into other design philosophies. I want classic 2.0, not classic turned into material/flat/whatever the fuck.
>>
File: kkuk.png (70KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
kkuk.png
70KB, 300x225px
>>58396867
>microsoft
>extremely functional UI
>>
>>58396954
>he says as he attaches a 300x225 photo
>>
>>58396976
>what is irony dot jay pegg
>>
File: 1481433238965.gif (241KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1481433238965.gif
241KB, 480x270px
>>58383619
Holy fuck, please tell me that this isn't the future. I would rather be forced to use the command line for everything for the rest of my life than be subjected to interfaces like this. Why is there so much space between buttons with no outlines? What's with the ridiculous amounts of wasted space? Why the fuck did they replace the menu bar with the menu button you see on phones? Why is there all that space between the text? Why is the text transparent in some areas? Why is the area around the mouse a different color? Using Windows 10 at this point sounds about as enjoyable as having someone sound your urethra with a power drill. Why do people subject themselves to this?
>>
it's not that bad. too much empty space though. if they scaled it better it might be able to compete
>>
>>58397490
You actually bring up a good point. Now I kind of hope UI gets so fucked in the near future for normies that command line interfaces make a comeback, even for normies. Obviously it will never be the thing for everybody, but enough of a comeback that a lot of people stop taking good designs for granted.
>>
>>58385853
How's unemployment treating you?
>>
>>58396410
>Windows can do all that since forever lad
open a tab in explorer
>>
>>58397490
Cause """design"""
>>
>>58397601
see >>58397557
>>
>>58397550
Will likely never happen. I don't see all the software maintained for Linux getting this bad, so everyone who doesn't want an interface that gives them cancer would just move to Linux.
>>
>>58397656
Majority of software maintained for linux is already so ugly most people just go line anyways.
>>
File: win10 explorer.png (18KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
win10 explorer.png
18KB, 1280x800px
>>
>>58397774
Beautiful
>>
File: neon-.png (313KB, 840x471px) Image search: [Google]
neon-.png
313KB, 840x471px
>>
>>58397774
honestly it's the hamburger menu not even being even that really makes the entire picture
work of art, please never stop designing anon
>>
>>58397774
This scares me
>>
>>58383619
Looks like the anime desktops from here. Just going they will make the apps more desktop user friendly

That fucking top bezel though
>>
File: shit-taste.jpg (6KB, 211x120px) Image search: [Google]
shit-taste.jpg
6KB, 211x120px
>>58397812
>>
>>58387881
>showing you a PDF file without opening a PDF viewer
are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>58387881
Windows has built-in PDF viewing. It's called Edge.
>>
File: win10 video player.png (573KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
win10 video player.png
573KB, 1280x800px
Original content donut steel
>>
When will those street shitters realize big bright boxes everywhere looks godawful?
>>
>>58397978
Are they gonna add flac video support?
>>
>>58397978
make the video smaller, it's just too big! how are phones going to be able to handle that much content at once???
>>
>>58397988
Windows already plays FLAC audio.
>>
>>58386013

>open email
>literally everyone behind you in the office/dorm/coffeeshop/library on a 30 feet radius can read the subject
>kek
>>
File: win10_classic.png (696KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
win10_classic.png
696KB, 1280x1024px
>>58396919

This is a concept I did right after Spartan (Edge) was announced and the TPs were getting worse and worse.

The best way to implement Classic would be to just add the Metro "apps" inside a classic window frame.
>>
File: win10 video notepad.png (76KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
win10 video notepad.png
76KB, 1280x800px
>>
File: win10_aero2.png (819KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
win10_aero2.png
819KB, 1280x1024px
>>58398121

Same idea with Glass
>>
>>58398135
>font inside isn't some ultra thin font
disappointed, that's actually readable
>>
>>58398136
>>58398121
This looks absolutely hideous
>>
>>58397974
>hurrr durrr let's make our default pdf viewer an internet browser that has no idea what it's trying to do

It's almost as if Microsoft is trying to piss people off
>>
>>58398151
I'm sorry that paint has better font rendering than win10
>>
>>58398136
>>58398121

no.
>>
>>58398136
I like this much better, but I also think metro apps themselves need to be redesigned. I hate how so much of the UI is a guessing game, you have no idea where a button actually begins.

So while you're right, easiest implementation of either concept is to use them as windows instead of current weird metro windows, but the entire thing needs a proper reinvention in 2017. Utterly functional and tactile.
>>
File: 2016-05-04_14-43-55.png (303KB, 1375x1018px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-04_14-43-55.png
303KB, 1375x1018px
This will be the paint replacement in the next update.
>>
>>58398164
PDFs work great in Edge. No idea what you're bitching about.

>>58398186
They are pushing out new guidelines this year. Thus this thread.
>>
>>58396919
>>58398121
>>58398136
I modernized it without the botnet part :)
>>
>>58398219
Hopefully those guidelines are thorough and good though. As Google has demonstrated, it don't mean shit if you release guidelines when majority of your own implementations are garbage.
>>
>>58398219
>>They are pushing out new guidelines this year. Thus this thread.
If they look like the picture in the OP, it will be a bad joke
>>
>>58398232
ugly as h*ck
and garbian just lol
>>
>>58398234
I'm not sure what the source of OPs photo is but what has been widely circulated is a preview of what their audio application would look like in the design language. It looks better than OPs pic.
>>
File: 1481249697534.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1481249697534.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>58383904
>>58384130
>>58387311
>>58387574
>>58387942
>>58390806
>>58395774
>>58395969

You guys all fell for it hard. This is macOS, uBar at the bottom. Has the clock and calendar widgets built-in. Custom icons + hidden menu bar. He got ya.
>>
File: 521-a.jpg (82KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
521-a.jpg
82KB, 800x600px
>>58398232
Looks like shit, install Qvwm
>>
>>58398275
your the dumbest
>>
>>58385749
its 2017 and nobody knows what they're going to do with their desktop next year

sick of it
>>
>>58383845
can you even customize w10 to look ANYTHING like this? i know you could on 7. i'm not sure about botnet 10 tho
>>
File: thumbnails_explorer_big.png (55KB, 858x538px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnails_explorer_big.png
55KB, 858x538px
Why can't we just have pic related.
>>
>>58393495
sort of remember that
pepsi was sweeter
>>
File: IMG_3435.png (420KB, 714x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3435.png
420KB, 714x1000px
>>58398285

Sorry I outed you - back to /w/. This is probably more to your tastes.
>>
>>58383619
You'd think that instead of redesigning shit no one uses, they could start by actually finishing/unifying W10.
>>
>>58396954
that command shell is cutting edge
>>
>>58398363
Likely completely different teams.
>>
>>58384210
Do I need to mention the dongles?
>>
>>58397490
it's their latest idea .. they aren't too sure how to do a GUI
>>
>Project NEON
>Concious UI
>Connected Animations
>Acrylic UI (aka Aero)

Sounds like some pajeet XDA android ROM
>>
>>58398335
pic related with an updated color scheme and different textures, better fonts, upgraded icons, and better scaling*
>>
>>58398351
Slut
>>
>>58393531
>I hate modern Android and the "just swipe around and shit until you discover some basic functionality" bullshit.
iOS is exactly like that too though, in fact it's worse.
>>
File: hmmm.png (34KB, 308x190px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.png
34KB, 308x190px
>>58398381
Do you forget that they now officially work at microsoft, and that one of them is actually head of company now?
>>
File: XEROX.jpg (222KB, 737x535px) Image search: [Google]
XEROX.jpg
222KB, 737x535px
>>58383619
xerox had things settled, in 1985
>>
>>58398381
It sounds nothing like something you'd find on XDA. This is how design languages are talked about and have been for ages.
>>
>>58398403
wow it' looks better than the latest microsoft attempt

that's in 1985
>>
>>58398403
Folder names on the folder itself, fucking genius. Too bad it wouldn't work for media files with thumbnails.
>>
File: 1474241355167.jpg (42KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1474241355167.jpg
42KB, 600x600px
>>58383619
Looks good what's the prob? Let me guess you only use Linux.
>>
File: fig1.big.jpg (562KB, 1013x766px) Image search: [Google]
fig1.big.jpg
562KB, 1013x766px
>>
>>58398409
Then why does the win95 design document not use retarded bullshit like that?
http://www.sigchi.org/chi96/proceedings/desbrief/Sullivan/kds_txt.htm
>>
>>58398205
Old paint is still better though
>>
>>58398449
>Users of every type were confused by the Programs folder. We thought that having a folder on the desktop with other folders and links to programs inside it would be a natural transition for Windows 3.1 users accustomed to Program Manager, while being relatively easy to learn for beginners. We were wrong! Beginners quickly got lost in all of the folders

Friendly reminder things will always be designed for the lowest common denominator. Hence the flat mess we're in now.
>>
>>58398449
Because 20 years ago people didn't about computer design that way because GUIs were shit until the last decadew
>>
>>58398486
The windows 3.1 way of managing programs was fucking shit though, the start menu is better
>>
File: Seriously.jpg (207KB, 1830x980px) Image search: [Google]
Seriously.jpg
207KB, 1830x980px
>>58383619
>>
>>58383619
Well, this is what you get when...
>>
>>58398510
Sure, but now you understand why design becomes almost regressive in a way. It's always catering to an even larger and dumber market. A market too retarded to keep track of what windows they have open for example.
>>
>>58398577
Have you ever used windows 3.1? You simply don't know what other windows are open. It was a real problem for everyone.
>>
>>58398597
Yes. Stop focusing on windows 3.1, I'm talking about the general picture.
>>
>>58398633
Does metro or the thing in OPs picture look user friendly? I don't think so. In the last years retarded designers got too much power while usability testing is not happening any more. Every company now believes that copying the latest fad is the important thing
>>
>>58398707
What makes "metro" (jesus, people still incorrectly use that term all of these years later?) not user friendly? Hard mode: Don't compare it to anything else.
>>
>lol were too lazy to actually design anything so lets make big boxes everywhere
>>
>>58387712
I love this shit with the force touch trackpad.
>>
>>58398784
It doesn't matter if i call it metro, ModernUI or whatever MS calls it this week.

There are various problems, depending on the application and version, but these are common:

- Too much padding and too large GUI elements for desktop usage
- some GUI elements are too small for tablets
- The icons are usually just black and white flat wireframes.
- some applications require horizontal scrolling
- some applications use too large fonts in some places, this is mainly a problem on windows phone
- Every application has some UI elements that look different when compared to the modern other ones, like inconsistent title bard, menus or GUI elements
>>
Outlook looks like shit. Microsoft UI design has gone to shit since Windows 8, which is probably about the time the street shitters took over.

I couldn't care less. The only MS product I use is Visual Studio...when I have to...in a Windows 7 VM. I hate their shit and I hope they die as a company.
>>
Apple MacBook doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>58383675
i'm not gonna even defend microshit here, but are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>58398871
>- Too much padding and too large GUI elements for desktop usage

Preference, doesn't effect usability, and consistency means that the user understands the application the same way regardless of what environment they're using it in.

>- some GUI elements are too small for tablets

The only issue I have for this is stuff that isn't done in ModernUI. Can you give some examples?

>- The icons are usually just black and white flat wireframes.

Yes, which means they're easy to understand. That's the point and what makes it more user friendly.

>- some applications require horizontal scrolling

Not sure how this is a bad thing.

>- some applications use too large fonts in some places, this is mainly a problem on windows phone

Sounds like an implementation issue or preference and not an actual issue with the design language.

>- Every application has some UI elements that look different when compared to the modern other ones, like inconsistent title bard, menus or GUI elements

That's an implementation issue then and not the fault of the design language.

Well, you tried.
>>
File: neon2_1483934259452.jpg (20KB, 616x420px) Image search: [Google]
neon2_1483934259452.jpg
20KB, 616x420px
>>58383619
>>58383640

Kek
>>
>>58398871
>- Too much padding and too large GUI elements for desktop usage

Fits' Law
>>
>>58396491
Are you actually trying to defend what's shown in >>58392591? Are you THAT much sick in the head?
>>
>>58398375
>implying i use an actual Mac
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 61

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.