[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone work for Amazon, FB, Twitter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: NC STATE.jpg (180KB, 612x678px) Image search: [Google]
NC STATE.jpg
180KB, 612x678px
Curious if anyone has experience with interviews at these companies and what to study.
>>
>>58380616
I recently gave an interview for an internship at google.
Contrary to what most people think, they don't expect you to know complex algorithms or competitive programming techniques. Just revise what you learned in your college algorithms class and solve questions based on that.
>>
>>58380616
>Just revise what you learned in your college algorithms class
Meant to say data structures and algorithms.
>>
>>58380616
You need to be likeable and functional. Be able to code on screen or off screen. That's about it.
>>
>>58380702
>>58380673
I am a pure math major. Am I fucked then? I haven't had a data structures or algorithms class. I took a programming course and aced it, and taking a second semester programming course this semester.

The second semester course is a pre-req for data structures and I can't take DS any earlier than Fall 2017.
>>
File: 1425442254075.gif (724KB, 446x250px) Image search: [Google]
1425442254075.gif
724KB, 446x250px
>>58380616
>Working for these companies
>>
>>58380727
College level data structures and algorithms is pretty easy. There are many sources for studying the subject on the internet. Don't rely on your college/ university to teach you everything. If you want to be a good programmer, you have to learn stuff yourself.
You can try coursera or udacity. A basic course should cover all the stuff you need. It may actually cover more than what's required. My college had algorithms like Djikstra's and structures like AVL trees, which are not expected in google interviews(according to what I read on the internet). 'Cracking the Coding interview' also has short explanations, but they are meant for revision, not learning.
The interviews are more about application, rather than knowledge.
>>
>>58380844
I am only speaking for google, btw.
I don't know about the companies you mentioned.
>>
>>58380874
>>58380844
I found a Discrete Math + Data Structures book I plan to read. Should this be sufficient or should I pick up an Algorithms book as well?

I had Amazon express interest in me but I'm holding off on following up with the recruiter as my major is not CS (math, but I want to be a software engineer).

I am willing to learn the fundamentals rigorously and trying to figure out HOW MUCH time I should hold Amazon off until I learn the necessary requirements. I am at a disadvntg due to not being in a CS program. I can code fine. I can do math fine. I can learn on my own too.

I reread your comment. My aim is to: Complete the discrete math book (it covers graphs, trees, time complexity, discrete probability, etc) , read through my data structures book and then learn algorothims (all self-taught).
>>
>>58380704
>likeable
But moot works for Google anon.
>>
>>58380962
How big are these books and how much time do you have?
Books usually have a shitload of content and all of it may not be required. It really depends on how much time you have. They don't expect you to know all the obscure algorithms and data structures that exist.
I would recommend using 'Cracking the coding interview' as a guide to mark down the required stuff and reading more about it from other sources. Then solve the questions.
>>
>>58380616

> what to study
Gender equality
>>
>>58381044
They are large. I have until Fall 2017 I guess but I'm broke and need a job. I'll go with your suggestion.

For instance, the first 13 sections of the 1st chapter in my discrete math book were sections on propositional calculus + first order logic and i read every page and did problems. It's at a snails pace. Your suggestion is good though.

I'm just wondering how I can get google's and similar companies attention with my math degree. I went to a career fair (school one) and amazon took interest in me immediately but i think it was luck. I am going to follow up with them last once i learn DS&A
>>
>>58381102
Don't just try for the top companies. You need to apply in a lot of places to have a chance for an interview. Career fairs give you a much better chance of getting noticed. Take advantage of that.
If you know anyone who works in a company of your interest, try requesting for a referral.
>>
>>58381200
Okay, I'll do all of those things. My main concern is I'll get interviews before I actually completed my DS&A studies. I'm going for a very rigorous studying approach, but will use all the suggestions you gave to speed the process up.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.