[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PROGRAMMING FOR KIDS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: ###.jpg (121KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
###.jpg
121KB, 1080x1349px
How do I get my sister into programming?

She has all these ideas for applications she draws into a little booklet and she's also started designing her ideas in photoshop.
>>
>>58379877
don't ask 4chan for advice would be your first step
>>
BASIC
>>
>>58379877
>>58379900
Good thread so far.
>>
Python.
>>
Fucking obvious b8.

However, I recommend Rust because as we all know on g/ it is the God tier of languages.

Now fuck off.
>>
>>58379877
Who is this semen demon?

>She has all these ideas for applications she draws into a little booklet and she's also started designing her ideas in photoshop.
That's very cute
>>
>>58379877
MIT has an app designer for kids. Not much programming a lot of drag and drop
>>
>>58379877
Start off with Scratch.
https://scratch.mit.edu/

It would help us answer if we know how old she is.
>>
>>58379877
Give her the C
>>
>>58379990

This sounds best so far. Anything she should look at once she gets bored with this?
>>
>>58380064
lmao
>>
>>58379990
>It would help us answer if we know how old she is.

>>
>>58379877
Max/MSP
>>
>>58380271

Personally I went the route of scratch to Python now going down learning basic webdeving path. Idk how long she will be able to keep her interest by herself. Do you as her older brother know some programming? Girls like to socialize while learning so you should spend time with her maybe even try out some hackathons with her.
>>
>>58380351
pics?
>>
>>58380351
Oh she's that age then I suggest giving her links to CS50 web course. She may not watch all of it but still do some programming socializing.
>>
>>58380351
She'll get bored with Scratch pretty quickly. Have her learn Python from Codecademy since it's a really lenient language in terms of syntax and variable types.

After that it depends on what kind of applications she wants to make. C++, JavaScript, and HTML/CSS are generally good places to start.
>>
>>58379877
Help her realize one of them, she should catch onto the idea of "googling the problem" after that.
>>
>>58379920
BITCH
>>
>>58379877
visual basic
>>
>>58379877
get your hands off my daughter, thanks
>>
>>58379877

If she's serious about wanting to become a programmer, get her set up with a C compiler and a pdf of C Primer Plus.

If she's just trying to see if she'd like it, get her to learn Python or Ruby, or perhaps JavaScript if she'd prefer to do things in a web application.

>>58379967
>>58379990

Please do not recommend things that are not programming languages as an introduction to programming.
>>
PYTHON
>>
File: 1483817713961.jpg (236KB, 766x891px) Image search: [Google]
1483817713961.jpg
236KB, 766x891px
>>
Introduce her to me
>>
Python 3
>>
>>58385059
no, 2, python 3 sucks femenine penis
>>
>>58386855
here is another legacy faggot ....
>>
>>58381417
So what exactly is wrong with Scratch for a complete beginner, dear tripfag? Nothing. Scratch can help develop a programming mindset and increase familiarity with the underlying concepts that could otherwise alienate newcomers who are not already very tech-oriented. It's all too common for a complete beginner to run out of steam while learning the basics in Python or whatever because at that point it might feel devoid of purpose.

Since OP's sister is visualizing her ideas etc. Scratch might be a good starting point. And after a while she can switch to something else.
>>
>>58379877

Neocities
=======

Making a website is has a design aspect as well as lets you type code. Go from there.
>>
>>58380271
Python... Python is even fine for small children as their first language desu. I am pretty sure a dog can learn python.
>>
NEED HELP ANONS PLS >>58389148
>>
>>58387118
>print(
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.