[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apples to Apples

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: apple-logo-0028640x4800029.jpg (59KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
apple-logo-0028640x4800029.jpg
59KB, 480x360px
Stop comparing Apple to other companies. You might hate Apple, and there are lots of reasons to, but there are no other companies like Apple, not any more. There used to be, like Sun Microsystems, SGI, Digital and so on. But those companies are all gone. You can blame users like yourselves, Intel and Microsoft for helping to kill an industry full of companies that actually made something, they actually designed something. Integrated, symbiotic, from the ground up. Or nearly the ground anyway. They leveraged technology that made sense because that's what engineers do. They didn't force broken systems and anti-tech down people's throats using business pressure.
Apple makes their own operating system, their own hardware (not their own desktop CPU, maybe one day), their own development tools, firmware, marketplace, drivers, support services and on and on.
So please, don't compare Apple to these other companies that slap together the cheapest, lowest common denominator pieces from all over the place and CALL themselves computer companies. In order to be a real computer company you have to have your hands in every part of the stack.
I used to work for a company that Apple used as a supplier. I liked working with those guys. Their engineers were smart and good at what they did, they were told they had to care about quality. They asked the right questions, they were the last of a dying breed. I could have said the same thing about Sun Microsystems back in the day.
Times have changed and Apple has changed with the times, for better or worse. They still make good devices, but they help others spy on you, for example. From a system design perspective Apple is still doing the things the right way and still making a profit. An offensive amount profit but that's better than being dead. So just understand than when people like me see casuals like you comparing the MacBook Pro to some Dell or Acer computer, your opinion is considered dog shit.
>>
>>58371799
Apple computers use MacOS.
Apple=/= mac
>>
Nintendo
>>
>>58371799
>own hardware
Oh yea I love the Apple graphic card
>>
>>58371821
Nintendo doesn't make desktop computers or workstations.
>>
>>58371836
They don't design the graphics architecture but they make their own SoCs which includes their own PowerVR implementations.
>>
>>58371813
Without Apple, there is no macOS.
Without Sun, there is no Solaris.
Without Dell, without, Samsung, you still get your precious Microsoft Windows.
>>
Most people on /g/ are 90s babies who care more about Facebook and video games than a good product or the history and culture of the computer industry.

Around this time every year, CES reminds me of the worst aspects of the industry today: cheap, frivolous, scattershot, novelty-focused, trend-obsessed, utterly disposable and forgettable. That's the world of Windows, the world of Android. Companies that care more about grabbing headlines for a week than painstakingly designing an end-to-end quality user experience that creates loyal customers.

This article illustrates it fairly well: http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/01/windows-vs-macos-drunken-carnival-vs-sterile-art-gallery.html
>>
>>58371799
No they copy existing GNU/Linux open source technology and market it as their own.
>>
Macs have been IBM PC compatibles since the transition to Intel. And no, having an LPC chip with a snowflake name doesn't make them different from regular wintel machines.
>>58371836
>Hardware means muh gayming grafx cards
>>58371882
They don't make their own SoCs, they just specify how they want them made.
>>58371908
It's a shame to see how the consumer market has turned from the pinnacle of innovation into a simple wall to throw shit at and see what sticks.
>>
>>58371847
>workstation
Kek
>>
>>58371933
>Macs have been IBM PC compatibles since the transition to Intel.

Not exactly. I think a computer has to be able to boot into DOS to be considered "IBM PC compatible," and the EFI firmware on Macs doesn't support that.
>>
>>58372071
Yes it does.
Source: You have to boot DOS in order to flash graphics cards in the old Mac Pros.
>>
>>58373193
You could boot to DOS on first-generation Intel Macs from 2005-2006, but not any later. There are also flashing tools for macOS and Windows.
>>
File: a2original.jpg (1MB, 1400x1017px) Image search: [Google]
a2original.jpg
1MB, 1400x1017px
>>58371908
>>
>>58371908
OP here, you're so right. I guess I shouldn't even bother, really. I keep forgetting that most people on here don't actually have a clue about or appreciate technology. I guess I was just sick of people spewing the same garbage over and over on here.

>>58371913
Your ignorance is staggering. Go read a book.

>>58371933
Yes, Apple has chip designers a lot of them. Also board designers, test engineers, firmware developers. But if you really cared you'd already know and wouldn't be arguing with me.
>>
>>58374698
>your ignorance is staggering
Have you seen their f.lux clone marketing? It's fucking disgusting. They're assholes, Apple is shitty.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.