[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>work through all the python tutorials >feel like I actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: monkey.jpg (237KB, 980x552px) Image search: [Google]
monkey.jpg
237KB, 980x552px
>work through all the python tutorials
>feel like I actually understand the syntax
>check out actual open source programs on github
>don't understand anything, might as well just be hieroglyphs
>>
>>58370964
Have you read any books or have you just done one of those courses that has you copy syntax over and over? The latter are useless. Read a book.
>>
>>58370975

what's the holy bible of python for beginners??
>>
>>58370990
It sounds like you have zero programming experience. Read a general programming/CS intro book. Python syntax is shit easy. Understanding how to program well takes a bit of work.
>>
You need to learn the modules they are using in their projects to be able to undestand
>>
If there's something you don't understand in Python, just Google it. Properties, Enums, OrderedDicts, higher ordered functions and function decorators don't show up in must tutorials, but are used all the time. Just pick any of those things and Google "Python [THING]"

Also, knowing the language doesn't guarantee you'll understand the algorithm. If you don't know what dynamic programming is, then a knowing syntax won't help you figure out what's going on in code that's using it.
>>
You also need to come to terms with the fact that people tend to write ugly code. Unless you're particularly obsessed with readability (most people aren't, they just want to solve the problem and move on) then you're liable to leave "hieroglyphics" behind. That has less to do with your experience and more to do with the fact that software is terrible.
>>
>>58371024

roughly how many modules will I have to study to do almost anything?

50? 100?
>>
>>58370964
I know what you mean. Many github projects have an incessant need to create "scaffolding" and "architecture" which make it a bit more difficult to understand what's going on. Still the best way to become a better programmer is to look at other peoples work and learn from it.
>>
>>58370990
Learn Python the Hard Way. That's the only Python book you need
>>
>>58371783
ugh this is for python 2 though. im trying to learn python 3
>>
>>58371991
Everything you want to do you can do with Python 2. Anyone who tells you otherwise is shilling or automatically thinks 3 is better than 2 because it's a higher number
>>
>>58371991
Think Python second edition
>>
>>58371783
No, LPTHW is mediocre and author is retarded.

https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers
Start with 3, go with 2 only if you absolutely need it. You can always switch to 2 when you know 3 enough. Version 2 will only be supported until 2020.
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/#maintenance-releases
>>
>>58372326
>>58372361
everyone on /r/python disagrees with you
>>58372450
this
>>
>>58372484
what a fucking tragedy
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.